Dean to seek chairmanship of Democrats

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:33 pm
Lash wrote:
JW--- Hilarious cartoons. And so true.

We should start a pool. How long until his first gaffe--that he has to apologize for... ?

How long before he alienates an entire demographic?

How long before he's canned?

Aren't you the same person who bragged to me about how Air America was going under? You've proven you don't have any great talent for prognostication. Stay away from the dog track, sweetie, for your family's sake.

But since you can't seem to stop betting... :wink:

Even money says Howard makes you (and a whole lotta others in here):

a): break down and cry -- in two years

b): grind those pointy little teeth of yours down flat (and that's a collective 'yours', and not just because I don't know -- or care -- what your teeth look like. No, the generic 'yours' here acts as a seine, catching together all of those fine patriots who want America to complete its conversion to a one-party state, like China and North Korea and formerly like Iraq).

c): distill your bilious hatred into a concentrate so vile no one will have to scratch it to sniff it.

I'm putting my money on all of the above. Cool
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:34 pm
<laughing>

Yeah, PDid. We should take YOUR opinion Mr.- Howard-Dean-will-win-the-Presidency... My average IS WAAAY better than yours.

You haven't gotten ANYTHING right.

You should be P Wrong Diddie. Cause you're WRONG. <thanks for the laugh>

Put your money where your empty rhetoric is.

Dean will crash and burn. If not sooner...later. He is unable to maintain---a lot like you. (The 'collective' you, naturally.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:36 pm
Dean alienates an entire demographic within four months.

He completely reverses a previous position within three months.

0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:44 pm
Lash wrote:
<laughing>

Yeah, PDid. We should take YOUR opinion Mr.- Howard-Dean-will-win-the-Presidency... My average IS WAAAY better than yours.

Am sharing the laugh. You have me confused with someone else here.

Quote:
You haven't gotten ANYTHING right.

Wanna bet? Cool

Quote:
Put your money where your empty rhetoric is.

You're on. How much?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:48 pm
Lash wrote:

How about a hundred on each of those?

I accept PayPal. (God, I hate to take food out of your babies' mouths...)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:52 pm
Who will make the call?

How to judge when one is accomplished?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:54 pm
Your parameters seem pretty clear to me.

Are you taking the bet or not?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:07 pm
So, if I say Dean has alienated a demographic, you'll send money?

Somehow--I just don't think so. This isn't for show--it's for cash. How do we verify?

I don't bet until the rules are agreed to by both parties.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:09 pm
Why don't you guys start a nice betting thread.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:12 pm
I'm the one who's agreed, honey; you're the one who hasn't. If you wish to come up up with a few strings to attach to this, go ahead. If your strings, or definitions, or whatever you want to call them affect my participation, I'll let you know.

So you're a no bet, then?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:17 pm
I'm a no trust you bet.

This is a classic difference between us--

I'm serious--and I'm ready to set out clear cut rules so there is no doubt as to when the stipulations are met.

You want to jump pell mell into it--then later, argue and refuse to stand up to your word--because you didn't set the rules.

Damn. Sounds like an election. And, you'll call ME the cheater...

<lol>
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:33 pm
Lash wrote:
I'm serious--and I'm ready to set out clear cut rules so there is no doubt as to when the stipulations are met.

So what are you waiting for?

(Listen, I knew you would chicken out, and there's no graceful way for you to withdraw, so it looks like you're left, as you usually are, embarrassing yourself, not to mention your cause. I feel a little sorry for you, but not all that much.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:39 pm
Another cowardly ploy--

That crap doesn't work on me.

I'm not backing out.

I'd like to make the bet--

but I am not going to win a bet, to have you say I lost.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:48 am
http://stonegiant.com/Politics/DeanNewDirection.gif
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 07:38 am
Brandx that strategy might be more effective if we had a whole lot to loose at this point in time. In fact in was an effective republican strategy during the primaries and just look where it got us. (dems)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:33 pm
Lash wrote:

For $100, Lash says (in another thread) we're on for the second one, above.

Clock is running.

Does anyone else want some of this action? Speak now or forever hold your peace. Or your piece, whichever you prefer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:56 pm
That was dumb of you to get into, PD. Lash was right when she equivocated at first. Anyone on the Politics forum worth his salt - especially the weathered partisan ones - will always be able to characterise any position his or the other party's leader takes as either a "complete reversion of his previous position" or a "steadfast continuation of the same position". Havent you seen the contortions when it came to what Kerry's or Bush's position were or were not said to be in terms of flip-flopping? All this is going to get the two of you in is a lot of "tis-tisnt" shouting to and fro in three months' time. IMHO.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 07:02 pm
nimh wrote:
That was dumb of you to get into, PD. Lash was right when she equivocated at first. Anyone on the Politics forum worth his salt - especially the weathered partisan ones - will always be able to characterise any position his or the other party's leader takes as either a "complete reversion of his previous position" or a "steadfast continuation of the same position". Havent you seen the contortions when it came to what Kerry's or Bush's position were or were not said to be in terms of flip-flopping? All this is going to get the two of you in is a lot of "tis-tisnt" shouting to and fro in three months' time. IMHO.

So I take it you don't want in? :wink:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:38 pm
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/13/DEAN.TMP

Dean, new Democratic chief, pledges action
Ex-Vermont governor says he'll pursue voters in red states
- Marc Sandalow, Washington Bureau Chief
Sunday, February 13, 2005

Washington -- Democrats defiantly promised Saturday to wrest power from Republicans even in conservative strongholds in the South and West as they unanimously elected Howard Dean, the blunt-speaking former Vermont governor, their new party chairman.

As the party struggles to explain its losses in November, Dean told Democrats they need to adjust tactics, not their core beliefs, in order to expand their base and reclaim the party's majority status.

"People will vote for Democrats in Texas, in Utah, in West Virginia if we knock on their doors,'' Dean told the party officials assembled in Washington.

Dean said he expects to "pretty much be living in red states in the South and the West for quite a while,'' but he rejected the notion that Democrats must grow tougher on National Security or soften their stances on social issues like abortion or gay rights in order to win elections.

"I believe more Americans are aligned with the beliefs of the Democratic Party than they are with the beliefs of the Republican Party,'' Dean said.

The 447 party delegates also elected Rep. Mike Honda, a third-term congressman from San Jose, to one of five vice-chair positions.

Democrats have been soul-searching since November, tugged in two directions by those who say the party must grow more strident and vocal in their opposition to Republicans, and those who say the party must reach out to centrists and find ways to better communicate with swing voters in Republican-dominated areas.

Party officials gathered at a Washington hotel over the past three days made clear that they still view the Democrats as the nation's majority party, narrowly edged in recent elections due to wartime concerns over security, or wronged by faulty vote counts.

Vendors sold posters, including one with a picture of President Bush and the inscription "Keeping our queer eye on the stupid guy,'' and a book titled "What We Do Now,'' with two dozen prescriptions for the party including a chapter titled "Kerry Won.''

"I'm sick and tired of the so-called experts saying there's something wrong with Democrats,'' said Alex Gallardo Rooker, vice chair of the California Democratic Party, delivering a nominating speech for Dean. "The truth is, we have nothing to apologize for.''

The voices of moderate Democrats, who have called on the party to adopt a more hawkish national defense policy, or moderate its stances on social policies like abortion or gay rights, were largely unspoken at the gathering.

Dean, 56, formerly practiced medicine. He gained a national following in 2003 for his outspoken criticism of Bush and the war in Iraq, which propelled him to the top of the Democratic field for the party's presidential nomination in opinion polls before the voting began. But his candidacy crashed, and he quit the race one year ago this week without winning a single primary.

Well-known figure

Dean's quick comeback makes him among the most recognizable figures to ever assume the Democrats' top party post, and his supporters expect that he'll infuse energy into a party searching for a national spokesman.

Dean appeared stylistically restrained in his speech Saturday, avoiding the strident tones that marked his presidential stump speeches, or the much-publicized verbal yowl after his third-place finish in last year's Iowa caucus.

Dean told reporters that any change in his manner is "not intentional.''

"I'm not a Zen person. It's hard to answer stylistic questions. I am who I am,'' Dean said.

Yet Dean's tendency to speak his mind has excited opposition Republicans, who believe his selection as Democratic chief will further alienate centrist voters.

The conservative National Review magazine, which ran a picture of Dean on its cover in 2003 with the caption, "Please, Nominate This Man,'' called on Democrats this week to "Please, please, please, select this man.''

Republican Party Chairman Ken Mehlman offered a more restrained response, saying, "Howard Dean's energy and passion will add to the political discourse in this country, and he will be a strong leader for his party."

Democrats face a hard road back to control in Congress, where Republicans hold their largest majority since 1929, and in state capitols, where Republicans hold 28 governorships.

Infrastructure strong

At the same time, the party's infrastructure is in strong shape. Four years ago, when outgoing chair Terry McAuliffe took over, the party faced an $18 million deficit. Even under tighter campaign finance rules, the party raised $400 million for the last election, and has opened a new headquarters on Capitol Hill.

The election losses also have had a unifying effect on a party renowned for its internal squabbles, and which is now united behind expanding the base, even as they resisted the suggestion that the party's message needed refinement to make it more successful.

"The way to get people not to be skeptical about you is to show up and talk and say what you believe,'' said Dean, citing his experience as governor in a rural state. "We can change the party only by competing in all 50 states.''

Dean received a strong response when he delivered a scathing attack on Bush's budget proposal, reviving a favorite line from his presidential run by calling it "Enron-style accounting.''

Dean noted the first president to balance a budget was Democrat Andrew Jackson, and the last to do so was Democrat Bill Clinton, declaring the Bush budget "demonstrates you cannot trust Republicans with your money.''

Dean's blunt message echoed the voices of party leaders throughout the gathering.

John Edwards, the former North Carolina senator who was the party's vice presidential nominee in 2004, accused Republicans of valuing "one thing: wealth.''

"George Bush's ownership society is nothing but an exclusive club with their doors closed to people who work for a living,'' Edwards said.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco called Bush's budget "not only financially reckless, it is morally irresponsible.''

Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico was one of the only speakers to acknowledge before the party faithful that "some of us have been through some difficult times in some recent elections.''

Richardson called on Democrats to rely more on their successes in the states, saying the party should be "taking cues from Democrats west of the Potomac River, not east.''

Dean, who had campaigned actively for the chairman's job since November, emerged the victor in a crowded field. Some Democrats had expressed concern that Dean's liberal image -- something he cultivated during the Democratic primaries but was not a part of his image in Vermont -- would not serve the party. Some Democrats in Congress bristled at Dean's dismissive comments toward Washington during his presidential run.

However, Dean, by far the best known name in the race, was strongly supported by the state party chairs, and each of his competitors had dropped out by the time the vote was conducted.

Dean, standing before the Democratic faithful, marveled at his unlikely ascension to the party's hierarchy.

"If you had told me a year ago that I'd be standing here as doing this as chairman of the Democratic party, I would not have believed you, and neither would a lot of other people,'' Dean said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Howard Dean
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 09:32 pm
Brand X:

They don't see the "Grassroots Army" down there.

I think one of the Harrisburg MoveOn members put it best.

"The GOP is afraid of us"
0 Replies