ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:37 pm
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=54049

maybe he'll get some coverage.
maybe not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:51 am
They're starting to notice him in California.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/argus/localnews/ci_3124235
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:14 am
After all the "Where is Dean?" badgering on this thread, I think it's appropriate to paste BBB's post elsewhere in here today..

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
One person who is not getting much recognition for the Democrat victories is Howard Dean. When he became Party Chairman, he insisted that Democrats change their previous policies of not going after conservative seats. He insisted on a 50 state campaign, including recruiting candidates and financing them. The Democrat leadership followed his plan---and we won.

Thank you, Howard Dean.

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:22 am
I noticed BBB's post (and thought it was a good assessment).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:22 am
I couldn't agree more!

Thanks Gov. Dean!

The 50-state strategy worked!

Time to go to work on 08 - not just the WH, but consolidating gains

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:23 am
(maybe I should finally vote in my poll)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 01:07 pm
Nod to Dean deserved. My understanding, not very complete, of the internal debates in the party is that Dean hit a lot of disagreement as to this 50 state strategy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 01:15 pm
Oh yeah. There was a cover story in the New York Times Sunday Magazine a couple of months ago about that. This seems to be it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 01:44 pm
thanks soz

This morning, the other fellow who seems integral to successful planning (Manuel, is it?) was speaking about the marketing aspects of the campaign - deciding which issues/personalities to put in the limelight so as to focus electorate attention, and how to 'position' them (that is, how to get X identified with Y). That fellow and his team also deserve a lot of credit.

Though today is mainly for relaxing, I am also watching for early signs of right side strategies for regaining power. For example, when Clinton first won the presidency, there was an immediate strategy advanced by Bill Kristol which held that the republicans' best bet would be to block and inhibit any and all Dem projects/programs/policies....don't let them get anywhere and don't allow them the chance to look successful or competent. This is, of course, to put regaining of power above any other consideration.

Sorry for the short downer and it's the only one I'll write today.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 03:48 pm
blatham wrote:
Nod to Dean deserved. My understanding, not very complete, of the internal debates in the party is that Dean hit a lot of disagreement as to this 50 state strategy.

Yep. The 50-state strategy meant that:

• the DNC money was spread over far more races/candidates than before, at the cost of the more traditional singular focus on battleground states/races;

• and that a far larger proportion of it was spent on basic organisation building, rather than on the traditional, singular focus on the peak of campaign ads and GOTV in the final weeks/days of the campaign.
Incumbent Congressmen who seemed at risk themselves, especially in the Senate (where, on the Dem side, there were more of them), were pretty edgy/nervous about that, and with them the DSCC was too. I think thats what helped to spur the DSCC on to record fundraising and -spending of its own.

It seems now that Dean has been firmly vindicated. Dems were acutely competitive in the most unlikely places, in Republican enclaves across the Northeast and Midwest but also all across the Rockies and Plains.

Its true that Dean had some luck. The nervousness of the Congressmen who suspiciously eyed the perceived diversion of funds to untried, experimental long-term stuff - when imminent control of the legislature was at stake - springs from the instinctive assumption of a zero-sum game. But as the Democrats raised far more money than in previous mid-term races, it wasnt a zero-sum game - there was extra money to spend. So they could have their cake (battleground state campaign funding) and eat it too (building new competitive districts). Also, in the end the popular mood was so anti-Republican that incumbents turned out not to have needed to fear anything anyway.

But even so - I think that Dean plotted out the only right longterm course. Strengthening the blue-state bulwark and hoping to edge out a narrow victory next time by nicking just the one extra state (Ohio, Florida) is no sustainable way to build future chances. The Dean alternative, meanwhile, was embodied in the landscape of this election night - even though most of the races in the Rockies and Plains in the end were narrowly lost, they were so often lost by just 1, 3, or 5 percent that Republicans were forced to play defense in some 50 House races alone.

Striking behind enemy lines and popping up in ever new places is not just a better strategy for winning - and it doesnt just open up real opportunities for bridging that last 3 or 4 percent in 2008, in places that in '04 would have been laughed off - its also simply better for the country. It substitutes a "purplisation" of the US for the mutual building up of respective bulwarks, and that must be a good thing.

Moreover, it's good for democracy, for civic culture. In '00 and '04, you had the impression that anyone who lived outside this handful of battleground states was basically completely irrelevant to the political process, to the outcome. This time, voters in all the states outside the Deep South had the chance to cast potentially decisive votes.

Sorry, I didnt mean to go on like some kind of lecturer - all this might already be covered in the article Soz linked in, and you already know half of it, anyway. But in the face of 55 pages of Dean-bashing in this thread - and undoubtedly newed discussions in the Dem party about how to prepare the way for '08 - it sure seems worth repeating...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:27 pm
We had a quick little chat here tonight re Dean. If you look back at this thread, one element you'll see (much clearer in retrospect) is the tendency of folks on the left to buy into a negative charterization of Dean which originated with the right's purposeful derogation of the new party leader. I wish more of us would get clear on how this gets accomplished. The way it works is:
1) a negative portrayal is strategized
2) it gets forwarded to and through multiple channels, repeated endlessly as a planned talking point
3) the MSM, being rather lazy and happy to get packaged ideas delivered to them, broadcast and rebroadcast and discuss this negative characterization
4) this repetition and this (apparently) multiple-origination of the idea solidify it as accepted wisdom
5) folks on the left buy in, or at least consider that the idea is now so widely accepted (that Dean is far left or has a short fuse etc) that they ought to temper support for him or risk being seen as radical

And, I'm hoping, that some of you will see how precisely this mechanism was utilized as regards Hillary Clinton.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:53 pm
I stopped watching this thread early so I'll have to go back and reread - I never took the candidatorial scream thing as other that a turned up microphone, however right or wrong I was about that. I saw later that Dean could be 'impolitic'. Save us from the 'politic'...

That's my gripe about H. Clinton, that she orchestrates, modulates, fine tunes her opinions - not that she would be alone in that. Perhaps I just react to her voice and manner. It's a line most politicians have to worry about, in that if you speak straight you alienate.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:45 pm
I dunno, Blatham. I mean yes, youre right, of course, about how it works, and worked with Dean. How it works in general. But, like - just because youre paranoid doesnt mean youre not being followed - or, in this case - just cause theyre out to make you look bad doesnt mean you also wouldnt just look bad all by yourself.

I kinda sorta liked Dean, but I know that Soz had an aversion, both stylistic and substantive, with him from the start - before any smear machine had started up.

Same with Hillary - there was no Republican machine filtering anything between her speeching live on TV (well, streaming online) and me watching her - I didnt need any channels of interpretation, coservative or otherwise, to see that she didnt speak for me or to me - that I didnt trust her.

Stylistically she was wooden and shrill (never realised you could be both at the same time), and the troubling thing underneath is this sense that -- theres no there, there. This disattachment in a bubble-world of her own, perhaps springing from a whole lifetime of nothing but professional politics, political ambition, political people surrounding her, no connect in any way with, you know - your life, mine, normal people - no sincerity. Like John Kerry, same thing. And of course - though hes trained himself in this folksy demeanour that cloaks it - like with GWB.

I just feel that Hillary has no idea what normal life is, and has completely unlearnt to behave in any way but the trained, internalised, political pro way - no person in there anymore. And how can you trust someone who's so much become the bubble, to do right - to not have a warped sense of reality that his/her political decisions will then be informed by?

I dunno, thats a tangent and an inarticulately formulated one, but my main point re Hillary is - yes, there is sorta a "vast rightwing conspiracy" to discredit folks like her - but that isnt in itself proof that she is good. Or that we would not have gotten a bad impression of her if there had not been such a 'conspiracy' (using the word loosely). Being the enemy of the bad guy doesnt in itself say anything about whether you are a good or a bad guy (just remember the communist crackpot dictators persecuted and haunted by CIAtrained thugs, or vice versa).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:38 pm
This is what I said about him on page 3:

sozobe wrote:
I'm much happier with Dean as chair than Dean as presidential candidate. I agree with what revel says about wanting someone who's willing to stand up to Republicans, be a fighter -- I think his strength lies there more than in convincing people he should be the leader of the most powerful nation in the world.

That's about where I stand now, too.

Blatham, we've gone back and forth on this a few times now. Nimh responded well, that's pretty much my response too. All that I would add is that in addition to our own, unfiltered responses -- and I think I like her more than nimh does -- there are very real roadblocks to winning the presidency in terms of virulent opposition. The intrinsic difficulties in re-living past conflicts rather than onward and upward. Hillary the idea already has sooooo many problems before you even add in the specific weaknesses that nimh outlines. I've seen that from too many quarters, reputable polls, personal conversations, people here, it's really not just spin.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:08 pm
Quote:
I just feel that Hillary has no idea what normal life is, and has completely unlearnt to behave in any way but the trained, internalised, political pro way - no person in there anymore. And how can you trust someone who's so much become the bubble, to do right - to not have a warped sense of reality that his/her political decisions will then be informed by?

I dunno, thats a tangent and an inarticulately formulated one

I think this sums up reasons for unease about Hillary well. I do not trust her, and I do not like that she shows as frontrunner in polls.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:10 pm
Well, yeah, what I said.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:30 am
Too many males make a habit of using a cliche to describe females they don't like. They always call them "shrill."

shrill (shrl)adj. shrill·er, shrill·est
1. High-pitched and piercing in tone or sound: the shrill wail of a siren.
2. Producing a sharp, high-pitched tone or sound: a shrill fife.
3. Sharp or keen to the senses; harshly vivid: shrill colors.

v. shrilled, shrill·ing, shrills
v.tr.
To utter in a shrill manner; scream.
v.intr.
To produce a shrill cry or sound.

Shrillness denotes the harsh, strident quality a sound has. Some instruments, like the piccolo have a shrillness in the upper register; thus notes there are mostly used for ornamentation. In the human voice, shrillness relates to the degree in which a vocal sounds like a scream. Although any pitch, high or low, can be shrill, the terminology usually is applied to sounds high in the whistle register, where the difference between a musical note and a blood curdling scream can be thin.

The term "shrill" can be used as an insulting descriptive, used in the context of someone who is often angry and rude. In this context, "shrill" has become a popular term for bloggers.

So how is Hillary Clinton "shrill"?

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:39 am
I'm deaf, so my authority on this is limited, but I really don't think this is a man-describing-women kind of thing. She strikes me as shrill, too. Just in terms of her speechifying style -- not enough modulation, especially when speaking loudly.

I definitely, definitely object to that whole angle -- if you're against Hillary running you're somehow anti-feminist. I think it's more feminist to regard a woman candidate positively at the outset but then accept actual weaknesses rather than just plowing by them in the name of solidarity or something. I'd love it if Hillary didn't have those significant weaknesses. She does.
0 Replies