Dean to seek chairmanship of Democrats

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 07:51 pm
Dean, slightly (only slightly) left of Liberman. Just barely a democrat.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 07:58 pm
I really at this point would not care if he was an independent. We need fighting people.

Speaking of that, what do you all make of what is going on with Reid and the massive attack on him from the republicans?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:13 pm
This is an interesting question. We'll have to start a pool.

A firebrand Democrat, who really hates Bush and or the Republicans, would be thrilled at the prospect of Chairman Dean. Because he will say what they want to hear. And, possibly, because he innovated campaign funding. Funding is a big part of the Chair job--and in that realm, he has an impressive resume.

My first blush answer was: It will likely be very bad in the short term for the Dems--but in the long run, it may just renew them.

There is one constant about Dean. He will say the wrong thing. Period. There's no way around it. He keeps his feet in his mouth. The only variable is how bad will it be?

Added into this (quite titillating to me) scenario-- The country has changed recently. There has been an undeniable shift away from ACLU mentality, boobs at halftime, and the general ripping anything mentioning God out of public sight. It had gathered a lot of momentum--and it has stopped in it's tracks. The people who are behind this shift...the people who turned away from the Dems (women, blacks, Jews, Hispanics--I think were the major categories) -- These people are very likely to really dislike Howard. He is likely to confim their temporary move Republican to permanent.

So, short term bad for the Dems...

But, I really think a Howard Dean--if he isn't canned out of the gate for a faux pax--will be such a lightening rod--the party will have Civil War. (Deaniacs v Clintonistas) When the smoke clears, the party will at least be defined. So, maybe good in the long run. For them.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:34 am
I don't think he ever stuck his foot in his mouth. He just spoke the truth. He was the only one in the beginning who was willing to stand up and say that the Iraq war was not the war on terror and was not part of 9/11 and I will always respect for that. In fact he got the debate started in earnest in the media and political world.

I don't really care if he is good for us as far as getting the democrats back in the whitehouse or the house any time soon. What I care about is getting some clarity and having someone in my party who is willing to go out on a limb and stand up for those who do not toe the GOP line.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 08:35 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17718-2005Feb11.html?nav=hcmodule

Quote:
The Special-Interest Group Hug
Howard Dean Meets Democratic Caucuses

By Mark Leibovich
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 12, 2005; Page C01

Incoming Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean spent yesterday in a series of meetings with valued Democratic constituencies at the Hilton Washington. He did the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Caucus at 12:15 p.m., the Seniors Coordination Council at 12:45 p.m., the Women's Caucus at 3:40 p.m., the Native Americans at 4:35 p.m., the African Americans at 5 p.m., the Asian Pacific Islanders at 5:20 p.m. and the Hispanics at 5:40 p.m.

Cynics might call this regimen emblematic of the Democratic Party's over-attention to special-interest groups. Not so, says Laura Gross, spokeswoman for the former Vermont governor who is expected to be elected party chairman today at a DNC meeting. "Governor Dean is going to need everybody's help," Gross says, "and that's why he's talking to all these caucus groups."

<sniiiiip>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 10:39 am
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:20 am
I'm not sure if I posted this here...

It was Dean or Green as far as I was concerned. If the Dems had not elected Dean chair, I would have been through with them.

Here's a little flashback -- Dean speaking to the DNC in 2003:

Quote:
What I want to know is why in the world the Democratic party leadership is supporting the president's unilateral attack on Iraq. [cheers, applause].

What I want to know is why are Democratic party leaders supporting tax cuts. The question is not how big the tax cut should be, the question should be can we afford a tax cut at all with the largest deficit in the history of this country. [cheers, applause].

What I want to know is why we're fighting in Congress about the Patient's Bill of Rights when the Democratic party ought to be standing up for health care for every single American man, woman, and child in this country. [cheers, applause].

What I want to know is why our folks are voting for the president's No Child Left Behind bill that leaves every child behind, every teacher behind, every school board behind, and every property tax payer behind. [cheers, applause]. [Audience member: "We want to know too."].

I'm Howard Dean and I'm here to represent the Democratic wing of the Democratic party. [cheers, applause].

Link to full text here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:23 am
I'm much happier with Dean as chair than Dean as presidential candidate. I agree with what revel says about wanting someone who's willing to stand up to Republicans, be a fighter -- I think his strength lies there more than in convincing people he should be the leader of the most powerful nation in the world.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:45 am
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=2&u=/ap/20050212/ap_on_re_us/democrats_12

Democrats Elect Howard Dean As Chairman

1 hour, 28 minutes ago

By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer
Quote:

WASHINGTON - Democrats elected Howard Dean (news - web sites) chairman of their national party on Saturday, casting their lot with a skilled fund-raiser and organizer whose sometimes caustic, blunt comments can lead to controversy.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:54 am
Weasley...err, Wesley Clark isn't so thrilled with Dean for DNC Chair.

Quote:
He might cede national defense to the Republicans.

I'm sure glad I'd finished drinking my coffee when I read that. Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 03:10 pm
I just wish that there was some kind of forum or place to post to Dean and his handlers to tell him to ignore what the repubilcans have to say about al this and to stand his ground with his beliefs.

Two mistakes I think happened with past election (here in the US) was that we let the republicans manipulate the talking points and we let them put us on the defensive all the time. We have been putty in their hands long enough in my opinion.

We need to start paying attention to domestic matters before there are no domestic matters to pay attention to.

Also, dean pays attention to security matters; he just does not try to be a republican copycat.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 05:39 pm
He didn't even realize the Soviet Union had been dissolved well into his campaign.

He don't know diddly about foreign policy.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 06:06 pm
It will be interesting to see what he does as DNC Chair, it's fun to hear men like him who have little man's syndrome try to talk tough.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
brand x

I don't see how you can say that with a straight face considering bush, but anyway..

Lash, I missed that part about the soviet union during the campaign, would you mind refreshing me?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:26 pm
Nevermind, I looked it up and it was a slip of the tongue that of course some will make a hey day out of.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:40 pm
I haven't voted in my poll, and won't, but he's making more and more sense to me as a poke in the ribs to the party - and hopefully U.S. politics in general. Too many complacent people south of the border. Some shaking up would do everyone some good.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 01:07 pm
beth

Yeah, this is good news. He has the ability to motivate the democratic base, and to bring young people into the activist fold. He's more than willing to get in a scrap. He has a clear understanding of how corrupt the opposition has become. He's conversant with the online world and will likely utilize this new medium more effectively than most anyone else the dems have.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 01:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Dean represents the democratic wing of the Democratic party...

"I hate Republicans and everything they stand for" ~ Howard Dean

The party of hate?

<Insert Dean Scream>

Smile
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 01:24 pm
JustWonders wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Dean represents the democratic wing of the Democratic party...

"I hate Republicans and everything they stand for" ~ Howard Dean

The party of hate?

<Insert Dean Scream>

Smile

Yeah, Dean's a uniter not... a divider, too. Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 01:50 pm
Oh, please; using the uniter and divider line is also a stretch considering bush.
0 Replies