Impossible situation but I can’t lose him again....

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 04:21 am
I am engaged to be married to the father of my child who I’ve been in a relationship with for 9 years. I have recently got back in contact with my ex from 10 years ago. This guy is that one person I never got over and thought of him on an almost daily basis since the day we parted ways. We have kept in contact on and off over the years but this time we ended up arranging to meet up. We slept together and it was amazing and all the feelings I ever had for him are still there but stronger. We have met up twice since and also have been speaking on phone/text on a daily basis. He is all I can think about. He has told me he loves me but that he can’t wait and that in an ideal world we’d both be single. I feel I have to do the right thing by my child and go through with marrying her father but it’s killing me knowing what I could have with this other guy. He says if my decision is to marry my partner then we should just cut all ties now but I can’t bear to walk away from him. Has anyone ever been in this situation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 625 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:25 am
@Elna0613,
I haven't but you need to get your head screwed on straight.

Here's the deal:
  • You don't have to marry your child's father, ever, to 'do the right thing' - your child will be okay if her parents aren't married to each other. Lots of children are in her position and are just fine. You can coparent effectively without the marriage license.
  • Something is missing or off-kilter with your long-term relationship, and that something is you. You never went into that relationship with good intentions if all you were doing was thinking about somebody else every single day (per your post).
  • Sounds like your buddy from a decade ago has his own commitment. If he does, then chances are good that he won't drop it for you. Sorry, but the chances of a married man leaving for an affair partner are abysmally small. As in, only 3% leave. See: http://www.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/saturday/Will-he-ever-leave-his-wife-for-you/1216-2688904-ox402nz/index.html
  • If he's not married to another (you don't make this clear), then the chances are better but are still not great.
  • Affairs give people an adrenaline rush. They aren't the reality of diapers, mortgages, laundry, and dental bills. That, plus their illicit nature, make them irresistible for some people. Step back and recognize how you are being led around by that adrenaline rush.
What to do? Try counseling to figure out what the deal is with you and why you can't commit. Also, talk to your current partner. If you are not all in with marrying him, then please be kind enough to free him up to love someone else. Like I noted above, you can be good parents to your daughter without ever putting a ring on it.

As for this other guy, he might actually mean it when he says he wishes you were both single. Or he might not.

Either way, don't hold your breath.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:39 am
The "right thing" for your child is to model a healthy, authentic relationship with whomever you end up with. That may not be her birth father. It may not be with your "ex" either, who helps you cheat on your fiance.

You owe all parties to at least be honest. That will bring on quite a turmoil (breaking the engagement), but you can't marry a man you don't love honestly.

Your ex says he can't wait anymore and wishes both of you were single. Is he also involved with someone else?

It sounds like you are going to be giving up something for an unknown. That must be scary.

How about breaking the engagement and using the time to find yourself? Whether that will now include the ex, time will tell. If it means finding out the value of the birth father, that will also happen.

Step back and look at this situation more clearly.
0 Replies