Does college make you a liberal?

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
JustWonders wrote:
And yet the very fact that a high-school student approaching college comes to us with such a question is rather telling in itself.

Yes, it's very telling that someone who has not yet been to college is already convinced that there is a rampant liberal agenda there. It illustrates the magnificent right wing media campaign's effectiveness.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
I'd assume the proof of that lies in the source of her concerns.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:12 pm
You know what happens when you assume...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:14 pm
I'd guess (I learned in liberal college what happens when you assume) the 'source' of her concerns is rumor.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:18 pm
I'd guess we won't know unless she tells us.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:19 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I'd guess we won't know unless she tells us.

and yet it was you who was first to assume....there's a disconnect here Laughing
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:21 pm
No disconnect if you re-read what I was assuming.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
I don't know...
It's not like attending church will make you religious, or being around homosexuals will make you gay.
It seems to me that this fear of becoming liberal needs to be looked at.
Over these past 4 years, some people have made liberalism and conservatism so antithetical and incompatible that one could not help but attribute value judgements about one while holding membership to the other.
If your conservatism is in a sorry state of affairs that something like liberal ideology could sway you, then run with it.
Likewise, if it freaks you out that much, embrace your conservatism and be firm in your beliefs.

...but keep in mind, liberals are not the devil, nor are republicans, we just have different opinions.
Search for a middle ground before going to school and work your way to the left or to the right based on what you feel suits your political/moral/educational needs.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:33 pm
My guess was based on this.

rmrrose820 wrote:
I just know that I've been told that there is quite a bit of peer pressure to become more liberal if you are a conservative.

I'm not ridiculing her for that. But that impression is one that is perpetuated in conservative Republican circles and most other people don't even think of it -- including conservative independents.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:34 pm
rmrrose820 wrote:

Joe Nation: I am a conservative because I believe in morality and personal responsibility.

I was surprised to find out that as a liberal I believe in immorality and personal irresponsibility.

If it quacks like a duck....don't fight it(the conservative bent) but do me a favor rosie...dump the "Liddle "Ol' Me"? eyelash batting...you're safely under Just Wonders' protective wing now... :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:37 pm
P, love the new avatar. Did you learn that trick at a liberal university?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
well of course he did. Conservatives are dickless....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
Well...I wouldn't go as far as that...just an excercise when I'm feeling morally irresponsible.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:41 pm
Quote:
And yet the very fact that a high-school student approaching college comes to us with such a question is rather telling in itself.

Blatham adds more anecdotal evidence (his and Ican's experiences) but that doesn't mean that the poster's concerns are without foundation. She didn't pluck that question out of thin air.

JW...here's a primary mistake you make, of the "where there is rumor of smoke, there is surely evidence a fire probably blazed"

We've seen posters come onto this board who were convinced that 9-11 had been initiated by Israel's Mossad. They referred to accounts found on web pages or in newsletters which claimed that Jewish people had been forewarned, and were not present in the towers that morning. They used terms such as 'evidence'. They suggested that there would be no reason for these accounts to be 'all over the internet' unless there was something to them.

Why could we not reword your sentence above as follows?

"He didn't pluck that information out of thin air."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Luckily, these pants were already ruined so when I just now spewed even more coffee on my left thigh it didn't bother me at all. My keyboard, on the other hand....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
blatham you disappoint me -you felt the need to respond that way - to close to home or something? you must have failed the wesylan class on thinking?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:53 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Luckily, these pants were already ruined so when I just now spewed even more coffee on my left thigh it didn't bother me at all. My keyboard, on the other hand....

cj's comment also caused some brown stains eh?...lol
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
Laughing I think I will switch to water when I'm reading A2K.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:56 pm
husker

(sigh)...the account you posted here had been posted on the other thread, and well discussed there. It is, like any third party account, or any anecdotal account, of very limited worth. The 'facts' of it remain unverified, which again makes suspect any conclusion we might draw. It's source, both the author and the sites where it has been published, are hardly unbiased as to the thesis promoted.

As I have argued on the other thread, the folks here who accept the thesis advanced in the piece you quoted, have little or no personal experience at universities.

Conversely, the folks here who are arguing against the thesis are the ones who have or are attending university, over many many years often.

But what does unite that first group (do you have a history of university attendance?) is the information sources to which they attend.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
husker wrote:
blatham you disappoint me -you felt the need to respond that way - to close to home or something?

What, he dared refer you back to a thread some 80 pages long about exactly the topic you wanted to be starting here, as an alternative to this thread here that was about a practical student-to-be's question rather than an ideological discussion about "liberalism running amok in edcation?"

Censorship, I say - those liberals are always trying to shut up everyone who disagrees with their leftist dogma - prime example, this. Phooey, Blatham.
0 Replies