Does college make you a liberal?

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 06:44 am
sheesh...I am SO uncomfortable in the role of skeptic and rabble rouser, but someone has to do the job...

shyone said
Quote:
I think that it is important that these ideas are there but, far too often, the profs. fail to present more than one side.
And others yet are dead set on pushing their own agenda and do so to the point of restructuring courses to fit their ideology.

Generalized claims such as this are sloppy. And sloppy is dangerous, eg. "jews love money overmuch", or "people under 30 are dangerous drivers".

shyone...could you forward a course outline from any course in your college which you feel matches the description you've given. If you provide that, we'll discuss it in specifics and if necessary, I'll contact that professor and ask for his justifications.

instigate said
Quote:
From the liberal hardliners, you'll likely encounter some rancorous and hateful **** if you openly espouse your views.

uh...and you know this to be true how, exactly?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 07:17 am
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:34 am
nimh wrote:
Quote:
Don't hold your breath on any college obliging its students to read all those authors ... probably not even if you study modern literature ... it's just college. You're idealising.

nimh,

I didn't say any college would oblige anyone to read all those authors I mentioned. I said,

Quote:
How can a person read and study works like Shakespeare, Freud, Mark Twain, Proust, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, J.D. Salanger, Truman Capote . . .

I have been known to idealize, but I don't think I was doing it last night when I made that post. I've read all of those authors and more and many of them I read in college. The others I learned about and read in the years immediately after college and graduate school. And I know many students who did the same. While that's anecdotal, I don't think it's idealized.

georgeob wrote:
Quote:
I think there are a few cat turds in Lola's sandbox. I wouldn't put Stokley Carmichael, J.D. Salanger, Philip Roth, Joseph Heller, John Irving, and a few other of that ilk in a list that included Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Flaubert, William James, Thomas Mann and most of the others you cite. I would replace them with Balzac, Stendhal, Turgenev, Unamuno, Pio Baroja, Alberto Moravia and a few others.

georgeob,

I believe you've stuck your foot in your mouth. Can we say then that my list would be more varied than yours? If not more varied, it contains authors of many persuasions. Some of my favorite authors are the ones you dislike, Carmichael, salinger, Roth, Heller and Irving. But other favs are the ones you list Tolstoy, Flaubert, and Thomas Mann. Actually the list is of my favorite authors......oh and I forgot to include Norman Mailer. But I also especially love Hemmingway who's work I know you love as well. My favorite of all time however is Mark Twain as evidenced by my signature.

When I went to the junior college where I began my college education (five years late) I was a sheltered young woman of 21. I was shocked by many of my professors and their open mindedness. I had a few profs who were bullies both conservative and liberal. No one made me make up my mind in any direction than the one I choose. While I was sheltered, I learned to defend myself and my developing personal values and I think most young college students these days are even better equipped than I was at the time.

My belief on this matter is that conservative students need to be challenged, just as students coming from liberal families should be. I know my daughters encounter plenty of challenges to their liberal views. And I'm glad for that. If they believe in certain values, they need to do so because they've been exposed to a variety of thinkers and writers and have thought it through for themselves. I'm proud of them because they sometimes challenge me about my views.

It seems however that many students, both liberal and conservative, are offended by challenges. I certainly was in 1968 when I finally went to college. I soon learned to value the challenges because they made me think about what I believed, developed my debate skills and forced me to make up my own mind. I think most young college students come around to seeing the fun and challenge provided by someone with an opposing view, whether they are belligerent or not. Sometimes the belligerent profs are the best at forcing a student to think. Why do we seem to think that profs should always be nice? The world's not always nice. I disagree with Blatham on this point. But then, he's just a little confused, so I don't hold it against him.

Some posters on a2k are offended when someone disagrees with their values as well and many of them are not so young anymore. (Present company excluded...........well, maybe not all present company.) Those who are offended are usually those without an education or those who never learned to value the right to doubt. Gotta post this.......I'll finish it later.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
Rose

Your comeback email after the variety of digressions and usual rubber-stamping of political viewpoints was a joy to read. I'll add my welcome to those of others.

I'm sure this thread will continue to entertain us all - that's really why we post here. Don't be upset that some (most?) posts are not strictly answers to your question or, frankly, anything other than tangential. Just enjoy the significant debate you have started and beware the Politics threads if you don't like mud-slinging.

Enjoy a2k and whichever college you go to.

KP
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
lola
you ignorant slut
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
LOL..........I'll get to you later. Right now, I have to eat breakfast.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:12 am
and I have to cook it...the odd crumbly things on your grapefruit are innocent
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:15 am
What? you guys have twin computers on your dining room table?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:28 am
george wrote:
Quote:
I think there are a few cat turds in Lola's sandbox. I wouldn't put Stokley Carmichael, J.D. Salanger, Philip Roth, Joseph Heller, John Irving, and a few other of that ilk in a list that included Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Flaubert, William James, Thomas Mann and most of the others you cite. I would replace them with Balzac, Stendhal, Turgenev, Unamuno, Pio Baroja, Alberto Moravia and a few others.

If we're going to show off (I know, I started it) but if we are I'll say that you would probably also add Mario Vargas Llosa and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I notice you seem to have a preference for the moralists. And I like some of them. But I cannot stand the two authors I just mentioned. I think it's because they have such a thing for being victim or martyr of cause. I'm very impatient with that particular theme. I don't like most Robert Redford or Kevin Costner movies either for the same reason.

I forgot to say however, that even though Dostoevsky and many of the other Russian authors and philosophers are moralists, I still learn much from their work. And Dostoevsky has always been one of my favorites. Possibly because he is willing to demonstrate ambivalence in his works.......of course he always has to punish one side or the other, which I don't like. I'm just not into punishment. The Russian's works are not only entertaining, but they share many of my own values and their ideas stimulate me to think about mine.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:29 am
Lola wrote:
nimh wrote:
Quote:
Don't hold your breath on any college obliging its students to read all those authors ... probably not even if you study modern literature ... it's just college. You're idealising.

nimh,

I didn't say any college would oblige anyone to read all those authors I mentioned. I said,

Quote:
How can a person read and study works like Shakespeare, Freud, Mark Twain, Proust, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, J.D. Salanger, Truman Capote . . .

Nah, Lola - you said, "Does college attendance make a person more liberal? Sure it does, for most. How can a person read and study works like [etc]"; implying that studying works like the list of authors you summed up is what one does when one attends college. That seems like a great idealisation of what is taught and studied at college, regardless of which books you yourself read in or after attending college.

That was basically all of my point on that one.

PS - what did you study? That would probably be a relevant question here too ... not an overwhelming number of chemistry students who habitually finish Ulysses only to pick up A la reserche du temps perdu next ...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:50 am
Quote:
I think that it is important that these ideas are there but, far too often, the profs. fail to present more than one side.
And others yet are dead set on pushing their own agenda and do so to the point of restructuring courses to fit their ideology.

I went to one of the most liberal colleges around, the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I haven't looked at any of the lists, but it's got to be way up there. One of the overriding things I learned there was critical thinking. Does the author of that paper have an agenda? Is the sample large enough? Did the survey questions have a slant?

Agenda-pushing just doesn't survive this kind of thinking. I took a bunch of Women's Studies classes with texts like "The Sexual Politics of Meat" and I argued up a storm -- using the critical thinking skills that were honed at the same place.

So go someplace that teaches you the skills you need to THINK -- and then nobody can make you anything.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:52 am
Rose, I enjoyed your post after the long digression. I have an idea. Since you will largely have to answer your own question by going to college, why don't you post here regularly with tales of your professors, challenges to your beliefs, etc... Think of it as sharing your education with us for the greater good.

And a very belated welcom to A2K. I think we will enjoy your contribution.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
Lola wrote:
Of course university has made many, many of us liberal and well it should. Only colleges like Bob Jones, Wheaton College (Urbana) and a few others avoid such great works for fear their students might develop into people who think for themselves.

Wheaton College is in Wheaton, Illinois. The University of Illinois is in Urbana (and Champaign).
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:01 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Quote:
Wheaton College is in Wheaton, Illinois. The University of Illinois is in Urbana (and Champaign). ....but how can someone read and study these great works of literature, philosophy and science, together with the great artists and maintain a resistance to change?

Yes, that's right Joe. I was trying to distinguish it from the Wheaton College in Massachusetts. It was getting late and I didn't check it. I was thinking about the Campus Crusade for Christ........or some such bible conferences that took place in Urbana. There were lots of Wheaton folks there. But thanks, you're right.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:24 am
Blatham Wrote:
Quote:
lola
you ignorant slut

Spit check! Coffee all over the desk Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:26 am
At least you missed your pants. I hope you missed your keyboard -- nothing like sticky keys.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:37 am
Actually I coined the phrase which Cyclo quoted, not Blatham.

However I said it with loving admiration.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
I thought someone on Saturday Night Live coined it.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:48 am
Quote:
One of the overriding things I learned there was critical thinking.

I think this is an excellent point, Soz. I believe the great writers, science and philosophers invite critical thinking. Especially scientists, or most of them. And if critical thinking makes you a liberal then I think many conservative or narrow minded "liberals" will stand to gain from exposure to it. My definition of conservative, or my generalized definition is someone who resists change and avoids critical thinking, regardless of whether that person identifies himself as a liberal or a conservative. Analytic thinking is liberal in my opinion.

So Rose, if you're worried about changing your mind, you probably will be challenged when you get to the university. But it seems you have an inquiring mind, so I suspect you'll enjoy it. And I'll add my welcome to you. You seem like you can hold your own just fine.

Now nimh,

Your wrote:
Quote:
. . . implying that studying works like the list of authors you summed up is what one does when one attends college. That seems like a great idealisation of what is taught and studied at college, regardless of which books you yourself read in or after attending college.

That was basically all of my point on that one.

PS - what did you study? That would probably be a relevant question here too ... not an overwhelming number of chemistry students who habitually finish Ulysses only to pick up A la reserche du temps perdu next ...

It was late last night and I didn't express my ideas clearly enough perhaps. I said this:

Quote:
I'm running out of breath....but how can someone read and study these great works of literature, philosophy and science, together with the great artists and maintain a resistance to change?

Which admittedly was not as clear as I could have been on the subject you address. But to expand on it, I think students in the sciences are especially exposed to the concept of the scientific method, e.i. critical thinking right away. It's hard to stay a conservative while studying critical thinking, that was my point. A point Soz made much better than I. Any subject requires a person to think critically....well except maybe business administration. But even those students are required to take at least one English lit course and usually two years of science. So if you'd said Business majors rather than students in Chemistry, I would agree with you. But even business majors are exposed to ideas they have not come across before and most are challenged to think and defend their positions.

I think most students, both conservative and liberal can expect a challenge to their pre-conceived notions in college. The idea that college can make you either liberal or conservative is a flawed idea, I'd say.

Perhaps I'm letting my experience on another similar (in some ways) thread, Foxfire's Diversity in Everything but Thought, color my response. I think it's foolish to blame a professor or professors or any experience, for that matte,r for anything a person believes. College will open a person's mind and expose them to ideas other than the ones they've ever encountered before (for most students.) If the students come out more liberal than conservative, then that's the way it is.

Rather than say that this phenomenon is caused by college or liberal professors, one might instead wonder why it's so. I think it's because critical thinking, the scientific method and complex characters and situations in literature challenge the conservative mindset and expose students to doubt. Doubt is a freedom and a necessary component for the scientific method. In my experience, many conservative homes teach their children to avoid doubt. How can anyone be educated and do that?

Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

In answer to your question. I studied Psychology and Sociology. Actually I eventually graduated as a sociology major (and went on to graduate school in Social Work) with a minor in Psych. But I was fascinated by English lit, and almost had a minor there as well. I also was profoundly interested in science, math (especially geometry), art and philosophy (especially logic), but one eventually has to choose. College was a wonderful experience and I would not be the same person I am today without it. It opened my world.

And panz.........no, we don't. Bernie just likes to complain about all the work he has to do while I play on a2k.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 11:52 am
Yes, freeduck. The first time I heard it was on Saturday Night Live ("Jane, you ignorant slut), referring to Jane Curtin. And george has borrowed the expression before, beating Blatham by at least a year. <laughing> And both said it, I believe, in "loving admiration" although I detect a note of ambivalence in their tone. Laughing
0 Replies