An Earth-size planet has been discovered...

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 09:09 am
Quote:
Eleven Light-Years Away, an Earth-Size Planet That May Be Habitable

There’s a new place to look for life in the universe.

Astronomers announced on Wednesday the discovery of an Earth-size planet around a small red star in our corner
of the galaxy. The planet could hold liquid water and conditions favorable for life.

The star, Ross 128, is not the closest with a planet similar in size to ours. That would be the sun’s next door
neighbor, Proxima Centauri, just 4.2 light-years away.

And there appears to be just one planet orbiting Ross 128 — not the bounty of seven Earth-size planets that circle
Trappist-1, a red dwarf about 40 light-years from here.

But unlike those stars, Ross 128, about 11 light-years from Earth, appears to be a quiet, well-behaved star, without
the violent eruptions of radiation that might wipe out any beginnings of life before they had a chance to take hold
on the planet.

“Those flares can sterilize the atmosphere of the planet,” said Xavier Bonfils of the Institute of Planetology and
Astrophysics in Grenoble, France, the lead author of a paper describing the planet. “Ross 128 is one of the quietest
stars of the neighborhood.”
(NYT)

https://i.imgur.com/tPtDsF1.jpg

An artist’s impression of a newly discovered planet and its red dwarf star, Ross 128. The planet, 11 light-years away,
is roughly the size of Earth but closer to Ross 128 than our planet, or even Mercury, is to our sun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 2,253 • Replies: 39

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:48 am
@Region Philbis,
Well, now I know where we're going on our next vacation.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:50 am
@jespah,

*boldly going...
jespah

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:57 am
@Region Philbis,
I'll pack a color-coordinated jumpsuit and a pair of phasers and communicators. Are we taking the tribbles?
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 11:14 am
@jespah,
ROAD TRIP------I call shotgun
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 02:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
Phil, for what it's worth, plain common sense sys there at least a billion such planets. What's surprising however is to find one only 11 ly away !! Thanks for the report
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 02:36 pm
@jespah,
I'll need at least a few pairs of my best sneakers, Nike Air Max, good for people like me with high arches and hefty enough for me to walk Roman streets, or, non earth streets.

For the clothes, I'll need to vacuum pack outfits with buttons to alter atmospheric choices.

I demand music, for which I could develop lists.

Communication: no robo spam calls.. I insist.

Last but not least, I'll need a puppy as company.

edit - I forgot that I need a really good stove, and that it be maleable to being smaller, for the excursions.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 04:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
plain common sense sys there at least a billion such planets
what you miss is that we dont know where those are, this one, we do. I usually put my destination in my GPS we dont just wander around the unknown universe hoping to hit something every few thirty thousand years
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 04:19 pm
Closer to its star than Mercury? Be sure and take some sun block.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 04:26 pm
@Setanta,
were taking the Rover.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 04:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
If you want to have a conversation with Diane back on earth, your phone call will take 22 years and 60 minutes (I assume you guys yack as long as my wife on the fone)
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 05:10 pm
In fact, Hubble and other orbital telescopes are revealing that most star systems are at least binary (the Alpha Centauri system is now known to be trinary--and it appears that most star systems seen so far are trinary). This makes for potentially lethal conditions for planets of such systems. Systems have been observed with four, five, six and even seven stars. Tidal gravitational effects would at least create the local equivalent of earthquakes on any planet with tectonic plates. Apart from that, when stars in multi-star systems pass near one another (and "near" can be millions and millions of miles), gaseous plasma from the coronas of the stars can be drawn off, and Dog help any planet passing through such a flux.

https://www.space.com/images/i/000/026/567/i235/vampire-stars.jpg?1361902257

It could get even worse with multi-star systems, which can lead stars to go nova as they suck up plasma for their companion stars.

People like to think that life is common in the cosmos. They like to think that there are billions of stars out there which could support life. The probability of that being true, however, is being revealed as far less likely than people have liked to think. In the centers of galaxies, it is highly unlikely because there are so many stars occupying what is relatively a small space. If solitary stars with candidate planets are to be found, they are most likely to be found on the fringes of galaxies. They are most likely to be found in the spiral arms of galaxies, in those galaxies which are configured that way--and it is becoming clearer that that is by no means to be considered a common configuration of galaxies. The galaxy shown below is of a type only recently discovered, and as yet unclassified, unnamed. It is thought to be the aftermath of galaxies which have collided, and very, very recently.

https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/9i3UJrVqXNcjkoXaPixlMI69NwM=/fit-in/970x0/2015/01/09/ffa77b2a-91fd-4624-b934-29fabf208e03/merging-galaxies.jpg

The galaxy below has ten times the star mass of our galaxy--it is of a type called a starburst galaxy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/M82_HST_ACS_2006-14-a-large_web.jpg/1280px-M82_HST_ACS_2006-14-a-large_web.jpg

The image below is of a barred spiral galaxy. There is precious little scope for stable, solitary star systems there on which life, at least as we understand it, could arise and survive.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Hubble2005-01-barred-spiral-galaxy-NGC1300.jpg

Below is a low mass star burst galaxy (these are thought to be caused by the collision of two galaxies), in which there was insufficient mass for an accretion disc to form on the galactic scale.

http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/system/avm_image_sqls/binaries/137/original/M82-IR.jpg?1373503770

The more observational data we get from orbital telescopes, the clearer it becomes that old assumptions are unwarranted, and in fact, that any assumptions are just out the window. If there are billions of planets on which life could arise, and has done so, it would be on the cosmic scale, a few at most, in each galaxy, and probably only in galaxies of the type such as the one we inhabit.
Ragman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 05:39 pm
@Setanta,
BTW, those pics (though color enhanced with imaging software) are truly spectacular!
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 05:41 pm
@farmerman,
nods, obliquely.

Where are the caramels?

After you tell me, I'll be quiet.

Great great great photos.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 05:50 pm
@Ragman,
They are pretty stunning, aren't they. We inhabit a strange, beautiful and deadly cosmos.
Tryagain

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 06:57 pm
Oh WOW, only 11 light years away – just a pity that with our current technology, it would take us around 141,000 years to reach the planet. Heck, we may even get an A2K update before then.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 07:18 pm
I discovered an Earth-size planet. It's right under my feet, making it very convenient to get there. And it's got nice breathable air and food grows wild, right out of the ground. I'm thinking it's gonna be very hard to beat.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 07:23 pm
Didn't I see that the planet in question has years ten days long?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 07:31 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
what you miss is that we dont know where those are
Oh Man, I dun't miss that atall, you're absolutely right, I don;t, but it's a good guess they'd be spread around pretty much at random

By the way, wuncha think they'd know the ";" sposta be " ' " ?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 07:34 pm
@Setanta,

Set I 'mem' not spos'd to talk w/ you but hadta thank ya for all them beauti pix
Quote:
like to think that there are billions of stars out there which could support life
The num I 'mem' is just a billion

Quote:
Great great great photos
Yea Oss, gree
0 Replies