Lies Told to Women

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:38 am
As I have been dealing with aging lately, I thought of many lies told specifically to women. Please share yours below. I will start with the “beauty” of childbirth.

When you are pregnant for the first time,everyone tells you about the “beauty” of childbirth. “You have to experience it to truly appreciate it.” Well, I did not see much “beauty” in childbirth, you try to push an 8 plus pound baby out, with the most horrible pain you can imagine while you scream bloody murder and every sort of excrement pours out of your body with your legs spread eagle for all the world to see and you do this for a couple of hours and prior to that you have extreme labor pains for about 20 hours every 20 minutes, then 15, then 10, then 5 and so on. After childbirth you cannot walk without being bowlegged for a couple days, you have hemorrhoids and cannot take your first bowel moment without screaming bloody murder. Then you talk about the “beauty” of nursing. You have some little creature (grant it a beautiful little thing) gasping and sucking on your nipple. Believe me they suck hard! As much as nurses say, if you do it right it does not hurt. That is a load of crap. Even with my second it hurt for the first couple of days. Once your nipples hardened up and get used to being pulled and tugged you do get used to it, but it hurts like h*ll at first.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,073 • Replies: 53
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:41 am
thanks for sharing, now I never intend to give birth!( I thought this topic was going to be something like "men are human too")
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:47 am
Ever had to pass a kidney stone?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:50 am
Dyslexia – men are human too, but women are beyond human!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:51 am
Cav - Never passed a kidney stone, but has anyone told you there is beauty in it?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:54 am
Linkat wrote:
Cav - Never passed a kidney stone, but has anyone told you there is beauty in it?

Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:56 am
Here's one my husband told me after I had our first child. "You're not fat."
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:56 am
the beauty of child birth is found by the people who are not going through it....

there is nothing beautiful about child birth. i couldnt agree with you more. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:58 am
Well, FreeDuck, at least he was trying to be nice.

Shewolfnm – maybe they are mistaking the beauty of childbirth with the result. Giving birth may not be beautiful, but the end result is.
0 Replies

sozobe

Amen Linkat. Some people have better births than others, as far as I can ascertain -- my birthing experience was bad enough that it is a factor in my having only one child. (So far, still time if not much.)

Amen to the nursing too. The evil formula companies had of course sent "free samples" as soon as they got wind of a baby coming -- I don't even know how they do this, tap phones? -- and even though I'd read the La Leche League book and gone to classes and everything, there were many, many times during that first week that I was mighty tempted to say forget it!! and go for the formula. (Problem there being, for those who don't know, breastmilk works on supply and demand so if there's no demand, there's no supply, and the formula companies reap their free sample investment many thousands of times over.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Linkat wrote:

Laughing Oh sure, they say the beauty of it is that once it's passed, you can go home.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:00 am
OK one good thing about childbirth -- amnesia. It all seemed like a weird blur the minute I was actually holding my baby in my arms, though it'd been 56 hours start to finish. (See what I'm saying?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:02 am
Strangely enough, I was having a convo about birthin' babies with the folks the other night, and they were commenting on how much the medical system has changed. Back in their day, they kept the mother in the hospital for 7-10 days after having the baby. These days, well, a friend of theirs may have had the shortest stay on record, 3 hours.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:04 am
One must be reasonable in one's demands on life. For myself, all that I ask is: (1) accurate information; (2) coherent knowledge; (3) deep understanding; (4) infinite loving wisdom; (5) no more kidney stones, please.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:05 am
After conception? Wow, plush! ;-)

Yeah, that's actually a problem -- 7-10 days isn't necessary but it was annoying how they were trying to shoo us out of there. I needed to recuperate just a bit!! We were hard-nosed and stayed there two days, which is unusual these days.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
sozobe wrote:
OK one good thing about childbirth -- amnesia. It all seemed like a weird blur the minute I was actually holding my baby in my arms, though it'd been 56 hours start to finish. (See what I'm saying?)

Shocked And I thought my first experience was, well, unpleasant.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
sozobe wrote:
After conception? Wow, plush! ;-)

Yeah, that's actually a problem -- 7-10 days isn't necessary but it was annoying how they were trying to shoo us out of there. I needed to recuperate just a bit!! We were hard-nosed and stayed there two days, which is unusual these days.

Hey sharp eyes, I edited. :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
cavfancier wrote:
Strangely enough, I was having a convo about birthin' babies with the folks the other night, and they were commenting on how much the medical system has changed. Back in their day, they kept the mother in the hospital for 7-10 days after having the baby. These days, well, a friend of theirs may have had the shortest stay on record, 3 hours.

That's how it was with my second one, though I had her at a midwife's birth center and not a traditional hospital. I remember trying badly to leave the hospital with the first and not being able to get out until the second the day.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:24 am
Sh*t 56 hours!!! I thought both mine were bad. The first baby – labor started at midnight and I did not have the baby until another day plus – about 34 hours. The second – labor started early morning (2 or so) and I didn’t have the baby until just shy of midnight – about 20 hours. I guess it is true the second comes much faster, please!!!!

But the second, I got a high fever, both the baby and I had to have antibiotics to prevent infections. Since they give it through an intravenous drip, my feet were so swollen when I left the hospital that I could not fit in my shoes. It was also difficult to walk because of the swollen feet.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:26 am
I just want to go on the record as saying that I hate hospitals.
0 Replies