This Is Extremely Impressive

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:38 pm
Another reason to like this actress and human being....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/03/tsunami.bullock.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,529 • Replies: 51
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:40 pm
Just a PR ploy Bear. God you're gullible.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:01 am
I saw that too. Depressing to think that if a bunch of actors got together at dinner or something and just offhand said 'Here's a mill, or five*" - they'd make the President look even cheaper. Still a 35 million dollar 2nd inauguration isn't something to be sneezed at.

*Julia Roberts (whom I loath) got $20 millions to do that Erin Brokavitch thing. Is Hollywood a separate economic unit to the USA (like the Vatican in Rome) or does money not actually have a meaning there?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:56 am
I hope the donation is true.Actors are caring people too you know.

I often think half the worlds problems could be solved if actors and people like Richard Branson and Bill Gates would get together and donate a few million.

If only it were that simple.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:03 am
panzade wrote:
Just a PR ploy Bear. God you're gullible.

You're right Pan...I don't know what I was thinking....I'll just look to the president for my inspiration and to lift my heart from now on. God Bless America, and no one else.... Very Happy
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:16 am
I too am impressed with Sandra Bullock's generousity, and place her head and shoulders above the usual Hollywood hypocrites with their bogus, self serving political agendas.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:01 am
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I think that it was very caring of Bullock to offer such a sum for the tsunami victims. I understand that she also dontated 1 mil after the WTC.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:23 am
Actors are taking it on the chin quite often simply because thay are easy targets. Sandra did a very decent thing. I applaud her for it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:29 am
I am impressed.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:34 am
If it were me, I wouldn't care for the charity opening their mouths and making it known. Nothing in tharticle indicated Sandra disclosed the info. Sounds like a reporter asked the right question and someone at the Red Cross told what they knew without respecting that she may not have wanted her giving to be public.

I wouldn't care for that.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:03 am
They should give that money. They have more than one person can use in a lifetime, with 8 cars in their garage and a 85 room house. There are people without food and water right now. They shouldn't get any more "kudos" than the guy who gives $5 because that's all he can afford.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:39 am
Except that I know lots of people that won't be hurt by $5.00 either way. I don't know anyone that can part with a million and not at least notice it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:55 am
So what whether it is a PR ploy or not, she still gave a million. Still very generous however you look at it. She has no obligation to give her money away, if she does they don’t put her down.

I understand what you are saying Kristie, but they do show young children on the news emptying their piggy banks too. If it encourages more people to give, then who cares who gets highlighted? It is a positive thing to give whether it is a million or one dollar.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:56 am
Of course you know I'm a shill for Bear's threads...nothing like a cynical post to stir up a little interest.
Sandra Bullock is not on the "A" list for actresses like Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts who can earn up to 50 million a year so her gift is impressive.

Bill Gates with his Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is on his way to becoming the greatest philanthropist in recorded history. Their donations in education and Aids awareness are remarkable.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
Good for her. She was moved to give and she did. I am a fan of Sandras anyway so I am biased.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
I think it's great that people are giving but too many people give because it makes them feel good about themselves and it makes others think they are "just wonderful". They don't really give a crap about where the money is going and why. It's just good for them, not the people they are supposedly helping. I am not saying this is the case here but....it happens too much.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if everyone thinks she's fabulous for her donation; what matters is that the money get to those who need it. But in my opinion, whether or not they are obligated to do so, just becase a celebrity donates a lot of money dosn't make them any more special or giving than the next person.

People just make too big a deal out of it. Good PR. I think the guy who can't afford to give but does should have a headline story. But then again, a truly great person doesn't need to tell people how great they are.

Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:29 am
I guess I'm a glass is half full kinda person so I look at it as a good thing and am not interesting in bashing it because it could possibly(?) be a PR thing. Whatever her (or anyone else who gives money) reasons are, I think it is nice to finally hear something good in the news.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:31 am
roger wrote:
Except that I know lots of people that won't be hurt by $5.00 either way. I don't know anyone that can part with a million and not at least notice it.

Here are a few for you: They might "notice" but it wouldn't hurt them. Check out some of these "salaries". Even broken up over a few years doesn't make much a difference.

Free Agents
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:32 am
PR or not - the money will be used for good things. I say hoorah for Sandra...leading by example. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:32 am
Heeven wrote:
I think it is nice to finally hear something good in the news.

That I agree with. Smile
0 Replies