55 is a pyramidal number - the rainforest, the world and us

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 07:01 pm
Nahh, Danon, 'tain't Latin. The word for cat in Latin is felis whence we get our adjective 'feline.' The word 'cat' comes from the Anglo-Saxon Katz (same as modern German). Kit ot kitten is just a diminutive of that. I have no idea where the word 'cub' snuck in.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 07:05 pm
Great work, re: the British regiment, all.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 07:09 pm
British soldiers and their rescued animals <plus more photos of Shaggy>

http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/fotoweb/Grid.fwx?search=puppy&archiveId=Select+archive&submit=Search
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 07:43 pm
Info regarding the physical makeup of Cheetahs may explain why the babies called 'cubs' instead of 'kits'.

The Cheetah in many ways is peculiar amongst the many cat species. In both looks and physical mobility - resembling a large muscular greyhound - the long streamlined body is carried on long, thin but powerful legs, which endow the animal with great speed in the chase. A fully-grown cheetah can reach speeds in excess of 60 mph and can easily outrun any animal over short distances. The paws too, are almost dog-like, narrow and hard padded they sport only slightly retractable claws, the only type amongst the species of cat, and offer the cat extra grip during high-speed pursuits. The cheetah unlike other 'Big Cats' does not roar, however does purr, plus other vocal sounds ranging from high pitched yelps and barks to longer chirruping sounds.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/agarman/bco/images/cheetah.jpg
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:43 pm
Merry, appreciate the Latin lesson. Thanks Very Happy

Found a bunch of other interesting facts. The Cheetah life span from 10-15 years, and is often mistaken for a leopard.
That's where the resemblence ends though - the leopard in rare instances have been known to attack humans - whereas the Cheetah a solitary animal - <a large gathering in the Cheetah community is - three> other species of large cats live in family groups - hunting and protecting their young. The Cheetah has no known enemies, but because of their solitary lifes find hunting, storing food away from other predator animals, and protecting their cubs simultaniously, a challenge. <all the females are solitary except when they have a litter of cubs>

Cheetah sounds and more info regarding the fascinating animals:

http://www.cheetahspot.com/sounds.php
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:27 pm
Fascinating....... I like the cheetah's story except for the thing about their being so timid after overtaking lunch/dinner (depending on the time of day).... It seems that most of the time they have their meal stolen by other animals. Sad.

I have had a memory of the time I served in SE Asia. My company had two mascots - a German Shepherd named Ky, and another mixed breed we named Suzie. They were both well taken care of. Ky had been an Army guard animal (sort of like the rest of us) and had been wounded by opposing forces - we nursed him back to health and took him on as a friend. Suzie must have been his sweetheart from some adventure or other - as the two of them were inseparable. I have a picture of them somewhere in the attic, I'll try to find it if anyone is interested.

Thanks MA,
Apparently - origins unknown for the kit and cub-utle.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 11:11 pm
Is sad - but I'm not sure if the animal is timid, or doesn't have the physical attributes to overtake other predator animals. With their ability to run at speeds of <one article read> 70 miles per hr. and the jaw capacity of the animal, perhaps they just don't have the strength of say a lion, tiger, or hyena - all very powerful predator animals.

Danon, wow - what a cool story! Hope you can locate the pics - i'd luv seeing a photo of Ky and Suzie.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:55 am
Morn'n all,
I love the clatter of clicks in the morning.

((My improv takeoff of a scene from 'Apocalypse Now')) - big grin!!

Ok, Stradee, I'll hit the ole attic an see what I can find.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
g'day all

clicked n' work work work...

monday
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:50 pm
Clicked, and dragging my heels regarding computer work.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:52 pm
Here is the photo I have with the two mascots from my company. Ky is the shepherd and Suzie is with our civilian tech rep. (light colored shirt).

http://www.directupload.net/images/050207/7YUGTAis.jpg

I'm the third guy standing from the left. We lost ten men that year.

Enjoy!! Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:03 pm
What a hunk! And the dogs look grand too.
0 Replies

afurada

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:05 pm
Not wanting to tread in Merry Andrew's venerable footsteps, but 'kitten' is Middle English (kitun or ketoun) which came from Old French 'chitoun' - which is clearly a diminuitive of 'chat'. No one seems to know where the word 'cub' came from, but it first appeared in English in the 16th century.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:04 pm
Great photo, Danon ~ and arn't you the cutie!

<the dogs arn't bad either> <grin>

Sumac! you've returned! You've done it! Computer working! <smile>

Hi Afruada! Welcome to the Rainforest thread, and a2k! Very Happy

Everyone, meet the gent who found the information about Shaggy. We're still not certain about why 'cubs' instead of 'kits' though. I thought perhaps the characteristics of the animal and the sounds the animal makes? Well, we have the century - a good beginning for research. Thanks.

Afruada, some information regarding the threads. We're all concerned about saving the last remaining rainforests and are registered at the Care2 site where we click for the rainforest and other good causes each day. You simply click on the link, register, and you will join the millions of people visiting the site from many nations.

Just click: http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=856730509

To register for the first time, create your own Distinct Log-in name
and Password. Then each time you visit the site to click you simply
Log-in and click on the Rainforest button. It's that simple. The
site is FREE. If you have a question, we have plenty of answers. FREE.

After clicking, feel free to post on this thread. We have the most
wonderful and helpful group of people clicking here. Any time you can't
click, we can arrange for a substitute to click for you.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:08 pm
oops, you probably wonder who the heck "stradee" is!

"onmymarc" from JoanLee and Maggies forum. Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 05:52 pm
afurada, thanx for the correction. I had always assumed that kit or kitten was just a diminutive of cat. Never checked into it. ('Course, now that I think of it, cat, katz and chat are so similar that I wonder whether there isn't a much older Indo-European connection to some ancient Sanskrit word.)
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:21 pm
You and your 282 friends have supported 1740876.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 61,191.3 square feet.
You have supported: (34,556.6)
Your 282 friends have supported: (26,634.8)

American Prairie habitat supported: 32,932.1 square feet.
You have supported: (9,293.4)
Your 282 friends have supported: (23,638.7)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,646,752.9 square feet.
You have supported: (158,779.9)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,487,973.0)

1740876.4 Square feet equals 39.965 Acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:36 pm
Ah, what an opportune time to look here. We are at =

39.965 ACRES !!!!!

By COB tomorrow we should be over =

40 ACRES !!!!!!

Hey!! That's the way to click akteam !!!!!!!!

Congratulations....................................Yaaaayyy!!

afurada, WELCOME to A2K!!!!!! We really appreciate your help with the photo...... And, we certainly hope you stay around and help us save rainforest trees by clicking free. Thanks.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:49 pm
sumac,

They're ALL called 'cubs'! except Cheetah babies are also referred to as "kittens".

Lion cubs
Panther cubs
Cheetah cubs
Tiger cubs

Smaller wildlife cat babies <and the domestic variety> called 'kittens'.

Why? Because large species of cats roar, <all except the cheetah> and smaller cats purr <so do cheetah 'cubs/kittens'>

Unless someone channel's Einstein from the ether, that's the answer Confused
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:17 am
Also of interest, and to confuse further, baby fox are also kits.

No, Stradee, am dragging my heels until I am sure that I am ready and know how to do this wipe and clean install, with everything saved.
0 Replies