Evolutionry/religious nonsense

brianjakub

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 01:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
PBS today had an author report on his new book "Darwin Comes to Town". It was a review of how urbanization has led to rapid evolution of many species of plants, insects, and vertebrates (including certain fish species that have evolved into free roaming "Niche exploiters") and thus changing their entire digestive systems to accomodate these niche exploitations .(All done in less than 10 generations). Our own civilizations have re-defined natural selection
Natural selection is not introducing the changes in DNA, it decides who lives and who dies. Random mutations or triggering of dormant genes by changes in the environment are introducing the changes in DNA that cause these physical adaptations.

Major physical changes that perfectly adapt to environmental changes are unlikely to be caused by random mutations. It looks like there are pseudo genes in the DNA waiting to be triggered when this sudden environmental change occurs so the animal can take advantage of it when it happens. Or, in other words, it looks like good planning built into the DNA.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 01:48 pm
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:
Major physical changes that perfectly adapt to environmental changes are unlikely to be caused by random mutations.
They're not caused by random mutations. Changes of the type mentioned by Farmerman do not require *new* mutations at all. All that is required is selection of variations which are already present in the genome of the population. And that's exactly what is happening.
brianjakub

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 01:49 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Nice point...follows non-dualistic views of actor-environment relationshi
It is non-dualistic if you assume that the correct sequences were in the DNA to cause the rapid adaption just happened to be there by dumb luck. If somebody planed it that introduces another intelligent entity making this a dualistic view of actor-enviroment relationship.

How did random mutations accomplish that in 10 generations to satisfy your non-dualistic point of view?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:14 pm
@rosborne979,
Nice try, Roswell, but I don't think he's listening.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:18 pm
@Setanta,
I know. I don't even know why I responded. I think I had a brief moment between technology disasters here at the office and just needed something to keep my fingers busy Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:38 pm
@Setanta,
Your mention of Roswell made me smile. I was stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico in the late 1950's, and didn't know about the aliens until many years later. Also, learned recently that Walker AFB was where they planned the atom bombing of Hiroshima. Born in 35, wwII in 45, and enlisted into the usaf in 55. It's all of a sudden 2018! OMG, where did that time go?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 04:16 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
All that is required is selection of variations which are already present in the genome of the population. And that's exactly what is happening.

I once proposed that as a possibility. But it begs the question of where did those ready to go genome possibilities come from? That is even more unlikely than random mutations as a source of new species, unless put there by an intelligent actor.

What would you say to those who refute Darwin's theory based on variations of Finch beaks with that explanation?
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 04:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Your god appeared only 2,000 years ago.

Jeez CI, at least get human history right.
Don't embarrass yourself like this.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 04:56 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
But it begs the question of where did those ready to go genome possibilities come from? That is even
Youre assuming that any gene must be "Especially designed for coding a function".(Could the function drive the gene? we do have accumulations of microevolution that occur without much genetic change at all)
With the humongous variability tht a single species of , say, arthropods represent, the genetic variability represnted by all these variants through their lives ( prior to breeding ) can be heritable. No "special tooling needs to be conjured up"
Look at the species variations that humans exhibit, many of which are called STR's (single repat Tandem alleles) which are acquired via a few generations as citizens of a specific area or latitude or even elevation .
The belief in Goldschmidt's "hopeful monster" seems to be slipping away
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 05:01 pm
@farmerman,
RICHARD GOLDSCHMIDTS "Hopeful Monster" hypothesis

Quote:
Goldschmidt was the first scientist to use the term "hopeful monster". He thought that small gradual changes could not bridge the divide between microevolution and macroevolution. In his book The Material Basis of Evolution (1940), he wrote "the change from species to species is not a change involving more and more additional atomistic changes, but a complete change of the primary pattern or reaction system into a new one, which afterwards may again produce intraspecific variation by micromutation." Goldschmidt believed the large changes in evolution were caused by macromutations (large mutations). His ideas about macromutations became known as the hopeful monster hypothesis, a type of saltational evolution, and attracted widespread ridicule.[9]

According to Goldschmidt, "biologists seem inclined to think that because they have not themselves seen a 'large' mutation, such a thing cannot be possible. But such a mutation need only be an event of the most extraordinary rarity to provide the world with the important material for evolution".[10] Goldschmidt believed that the neo-Darwinian view of gradual accumulation of small mutations was important but could account for variation only within species (microevolution) and was not a powerful enough source of evolutionary novelty to explain new species. Instead he believed that large genetic differences between species required profound "macro-mutations" a source for large genetic changes (macroevolution) which once in a while could occur as a "hopeful monster".[11][12]

Goldschmidt is usually referred to as a "non-Darwinian"; however, he did not object to the general microevolutionary principles of the Darwinians. He veered from the synthetic theory only in his belief that a new species develops suddenly through discontinuous variation, or macromutation. Goldschmidt presented his hypothesis when neo-Darwinism was becoming dominant in the 1940s and 1950s, and strongly protested against the strict gradualism of neo-Darwinian theorists. His ideas were accordingly seen as highly unorthodox by most scientists and were subjected to ridicule and scorn.[13] However, there has been a recent interest in the ideas of Goldschmidt in the field of evolutionary developmental biology, as some scientists, such as Günter Theißen and Scott F. Gilbert, are convinced he was not entirely wrong.[14][15] Goldschmidt presented two mechanisms by which hopeful monsters might work. One mechanism, involving “systemic mutations”, rejected the classical gene concept and is no longer considered by modern science; however, his second mechanism involved “developmental macromutations” in “rate genes” or “controlling genes” that change early development and thus cause large effects in the adult phenotype. These kinds of mutations are similar to those considered in contemporary evolutionary developmental biology.[16]
From a Wikipedia clip, (Be careful and re read the source material)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 06:04 pm
@farmerman,
From my POV, I see enough similarities in animals to believe that evolution was the culprit to produce them. All the variations of life has enough "sameness" to conclude that nature's design for living things somewhat followed the same path. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_email&param2=81bcf1ad-9948-4cf5-888a-ee73fb9d3371&param3=email_6.2~US~appfocus150&param4=propel-bb9~Chrome~elephant+copulation+image&param1=20180310&p=elephant+copulation+image&type=em_appfocus150_cr
brianjakub

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 07:07 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:

Re: brianjakub (Post 6629084)
brianjakub wrote:
Major physical changes that perfectly adapt to environmental changes are unlikely to be caused by random mutations.
Quote:
They're not caused by random mutations. Changes of the type mentioned by Farmerman do not require *new* mutations at all. All that is required is selection of variations which are already present in the genome of the population. And that's exactly what is happening.
Well if all the variations were programmed into the Dna from the beginning then evolution isn't happening and you are sounding like a creationist from the discovery institute.
brianjakub

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 07:16 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
RICHARD GOLDSCHMIDTS "Hopeful Monster" hypothesis
Sounds a lot like punctuated equilibrium presented by Stephen Gould. Unfortunately nobody answers the question, how does such a vast informatioin change happen over such a short period of time to the Dna to cause speciation on the time table the fossil record presents with initial information creation to the DNA from randomly generated sources.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 07:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
From my POV, I see enough similarities in animals to believe that evolution was the culprit to produce them. All the variations of life has enough "sameness" to conclude that nature's design for living things somewhat followed the same path.
That's a very intelligent observation. You are recognizing the patterns. Could we talk about where "new" patterns come from?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 07:47 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
Could we talk about where "new" patterns come from?

That's called "evolution."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 08:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
All that is required is selection of variations which are already present in the genome of the population. And that's exactly what is happening.

I once proposed that as a possibility. But it begs the question of where did those ready to go genome possibilities come from? That is even more unlikely than random mutations as a source of new species, unless put there by an intelligent actor.

What would you say to those who refute Darwin's theory based on variations of Finch beaks with that explanation?

I'm not saying anything new. This is all part of the standard theory. Random mutations do occur and they get into the gene pool. But a whole lot of variation has already accumulated in the gene pool of a population, and those variations are the first to be exploited by selection.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 08:32 pm
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:
Well if all the variations were programmed into the Dna from the beginning then evolution isn't happening and you are sounding like a creationist from the discovery institute.

None of the variations were programmed into the DNA from the beginning. Random mutations occur. Some have immediate effect, some don't. Those that don't eliminate their host accumulate in the gene pool. Eventually the gene pool becomes ripe with variation and new possibilities. It's all just nature taking its course.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2018 05:42 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I'm not saying anything new. This is all part of the standard theory. Random mutations do occur and they get into the gene pool. But a whole lot of variation has already accumulated in the gene pool of a population, and those variations are the first to be exploited by selection.

Yes, but we are talking about 'variations' in terms of entire new species with totally new body plans and new organs (as in the Cambrian explosion).

To say this is counter intuitive is an understatement. 'Time' is used as an all purpose solution to the dilemma but the math does not work. When all factors are considered it never adds up.

Considering mutation rates, destructive vs helpful mutation ratios, chances of a helpful mutation taking hold, time for the trait to spread through a population, and the chances of all this happening in thousands of cases simultaneously during the Cambrian makes the case for unguided evolution look untenable.

Many mainstream biologists (who reject ID) are aware of this and are looking for such a third alternative explanation. I think they are barking up the wrong tree as well but it illustrates my point that "The standard theory" is seriously flawed.
Quote:
Home | The Third Way of Evolution
www.thethirdwayofevolution.com

The Third Way web site provides a vehicle for new voices to be heard in evolution debates. It will be a forum for accessing empirical data on areas that have been glossed over by Neo-Darwinian viewpoints. The goal is to focus attention on the molecular and cellular processes which produce novelty without divine interventions or sheer luck.
Helloandgoodbye

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2018 06:07 am
@farmerman,
Farrrrrrrmerman, still deceiving yourself into the belief that The ‘time and chance God’ can create life forms, and life can actually evolve I see Sad
Brother, come on already, from what I gather your biological clock is ticking faster now than ever before.
Remember, all you need to do is get on board the ‘ark of salvation,’ that’s it!( or drown in judgement Sad... So easy!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2018 06:29 am
@Leadfoot,
As usual, the propensity of the religious to demonstrate that ignorance is the dominant feature of their doctrine shows through. The Cambrian explosion lasted for between 20 and 25 million years. That means that there were literally millions of iterations, with even the life cycles of higher life forms based on annual generations (and many forms much more frequently). There is nothing "counter-intuitive" about it. The only untenable idea in play is that someone's magic sky daddy was busily playing a silly game of laying down a deceptive fossil record.