* Bush Admin seeks to detain suspects forever without trial

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:23 am
There's a handy name for a prison camp were people go to never be heard of again. GULAGS.

That's right, the USA has finally admitted that the Soviet Union had it right. No-one, at any time, at any place, for any reason can expect to be treated as a human being with any sort of rights. Unlawful detention, unprovable accustations, no trials, no appeals, state-sanctioned coercion and torture, and a nice big 'memory-hole' to make sure that the 'evidence' can't ever re-appear. Paint a big moustache on 'Uncle George' and roll out the May Day celebrations.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:35 am
History
Joe Republican wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Joe Republican wrote:
It's called history. Read up on the rise of Nazi Germany, the propaganda machines, and you can see a parallel between nazism and patriotism. If you don't want to examine history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Joe, sell paranoid somewhere else. I'm not buying. If you were even half right, with the technology available today, the SS would have hauled you away long ago.

So what part are you not agreeing with? The definition of Fascism, the fact that we have a lot of fascist tendencies, or the parallels to neo-conservatism and fascism?

I'm curious, because you came out so fervently opposed to what I was saying, I'd like to know which part you disagree with. As for bringing Hitler into the discussion, I could have and probably should have used Mousillini, but when people think of fascism, they think Hitler, not Italy. I'm not saying that we are going to create gas chambers and start to gass Muslims, but there definitely exists parallels between the rise of Nazism, the patriotism after 9-11 and the political platform of the Bushies.

I agree that there are many frightening parallels between the policies of Nazi Germany and modern-day America.

The United States is NOT building concentration camps and gas chambers to exterminate Jews . . . but the United States is covertly capturing an untold number of people from other countries, labeling them as terrorists or suspected terrorists or enemy combatants, keeping them captive in unknown locations, subjecting them to interrogation and torture and perhaps executing them when they are no longer useful. There is no accountability for secret activities carried on by our government.

Perhaps there are people in this world who constitute a real threat to our national security -- but we cannot condone the incarceration of these people without due process or taking them behind the proverbial barn and putting bullets into their heads. What message are we sending? Only U.S. citizens are entitled to due process and the hell with the people who live in the rest of the world? Our country cannot possibly have the respect of other nations and other peoples in this world if we don't practice what we preach.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:24 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
There's a handy name for a prison camp were people go to never be heard of again. GULAGS.

That's right, the USA has finally admitted that the Soviet Union had it right. No-one, at any time, at any place, for any reason can expect to be treated as a human being with any sort of rights. Unlawful detention, unprovable accustations, no trials, no appeals, state-sanctioned coercion and torture, and a nice big 'memory-hole' to make sure that the 'evidence' can't ever re-appear. Paint a big moustache on 'Uncle George' and roll out the May Day celebrations.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:49 am
"but the United States is covertly capturing an untold number of people from other countries, labeling them as terrorists or suspected terrorists or enemy combatants, keeping them captive in unknown locations, subjecting them to interrogation and torture and perhaps executing them when they are no longer useful. There is no accountability for secret activities carried on by our government. "

Let's assume that those held are being held for cause.

What would you suggest we do with the suspected terrorists?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:01 am
Quote:

In the context of this thread, It seems obvious we should abandon the pretense of society by rule of law and opt for expediency. After all, Mussolini made the trains run on time and neither Hitler nor Stalin we hampered by such trivialites as due process. Off with their heads I say.(and anyone else who looks like them)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:04 am
woiyo wrote:

Since they were "labelled" to be "terrorists or suspected terrorists or enemy combatants", what about a mock trial?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:10 am
woiyo wrote:

Did you even read your own post?

It DOES NOT MATTER if they are guilty or not!

If we could wave a magic wand and identify terrorist with 100% accuracy, then this type of treatment might be justified.

It is the fear of incarcerating a SINGLE innocent person that drives the protections for the accused in our legal system.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:00 am
Well Drew, this is a very difficult situation to be in. we already let a few GITMO "fellows" go and they returned to "battle" against our troops.

So in "DREW WORLD", what would your policy be with these suspected terrorists??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:07 am
woiyo wrote:
Well Drew, this is a very difficult situation to be in. we already let a few GITMO "fellows" go and they returned to "battle" against our troops.

So in "DREW WORLD", what would your policy be with these suspected terrorists??

Could you give a source for it? I'm sure, e.g. people in the UK would like to read that, too! (They think, their police is still watching them, that's those, who are already returned.)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52670-2004Oct21?language=printer

"At least 10 detainees released from the Guantanamo Bay prison after U.S. officials concluded they posed little threat have been recaptured or killed fighting U.S. or coalition forces in Pakistan and Afghanistan, according to Pentagon officials.

One of the repatriated prisoners is still at large after taking leadership of a militant faction in Pakistan and aligning himself with al Qaeda, Pakistani officials said. In telephone calls to Pakistani reporters, he has bragged that he tricked his U.S. interrogators into believing he was someone else"

There you go!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:44 am
woiyo wrote:
"but the United States is covertly capturing an untold number of people from other countries, labeling them as terrorists or suspected terrorists or enemy combatants, keeping them captive in unknown locations, subjecting them to interrogation and torture and perhaps executing them when they are no longer useful. There is no accountability for secret activities carried on by our government. "

You can assume all you want -- assumptions are not evidence.

I hope you have heard of the concept of due process. I suggest that we afford fundamental due process to all persons who are in held in custody by the United States government or held by other governments at our country's request.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
who is being tricked
woiyo wrote:

"At least 10 detainees released from the Guantanamo Bay prison after U.S. officials concluded they posed little threat have been recaptured or killed fighting U.S. or coalition forces in Pakistan and Afghanistan, according to Pentagon officials.

One of the repatriated prisoners is still at large after taking leadership of a militant faction in Pakistan and aligning himself with al Qaeda, Pakistani officials said. In telephone calls to Pakistani reporters, he has bragged that he tricked his U.S. interrogators into believing he was someone else"

There you go!

Right from the mouth of Pentagon officials.

I wonder who is really being tricked.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
woiyo wrote:

"One of the repatriated prisoners is still at large after taking leadership of a militant faction in Pakistan and aligning himself with al Qaeda, Pakistani officials said. In telephone calls to Pakistani reporters, he has bragged that he tricked his U.S. interrogators into believing he was someone else"

Maybe that would have come out in a trial.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
woiyo wrote:

There you go!

No, really? I cdouldn't immagine somebody who was detainned ILLEGALLY for periods of years wanting to get back at his captors could you?

Put them on trial!!! Maybe some of this could be brought to light!!!

Now, you are ignoring the most important part of this whole pee-brained scheme, IT CREATES MORE TERRORISM!!!! You see, how can you fight terrorism, and win the war, when you are creating them faster then you are killing them??? Tell me that one, or are you going to tell me that the terrorists are all from other countries and they aren't Iraqis, that the world is safer today, after Iraq then before 9-11. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:04 am
woiyo wrote:

woiyo wrote:
"At least 10 detainees released from the Guantanamo Bay prison ......"
There you go!

Since today, about 350 have been released so far. (Perhaps more, e.g. to China.)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:07 am
So by "fighting terrorism" you create more terrorism.

So based upon that logic, we should have done nothing??? Then they would "like us more"?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
Debra_Law wrote:
woiyo wrote:

You can assume all you want -- assumptions are not evidence.

I hope you have heard of the concept of due process. I suggest that we afford fundamental due process to all persons who are in held in custody by the United States government or held by other governments at our country's request.

So your solution is to put each and every one on trial at taxpayer expense??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
Democracy (and human rights and justice) isn't for free.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:13 am
You like totalitarianism, don't you, woiyo?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:18 am
woiyo wrote:
So your solution is to put each and every one on trial at taxpayer expense??

We paid for the invasion of the country where we found them. We paid for their capture and transport to Guantanamo. We paid to construct a prison on Guantanamo. We're paying for their room and board now. Why stop now?
0 Replies