Send 40 million Bush inauguration money to tsunami victims

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:23 pm
Brandon9000
As a Bush lemming you won't understand this however there such a thing as respect and empathy. The question is not whether Bush should have his day in the sun but rather whether based on the tragedy that he has caused it should be an opulent and obscene affair. Maybe it should be used to give aid to the American servicepeople and their families that are being shortchanged.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
In the interest of "respect and empathy" as defined by our friend AU may I remind everyone that the price of a good woman is above rubies, presumed to be worth more than $40m if Cartier is a reliable source???

Thank you - there's only one possible course of action: send Bumble-Bee-Boogie to Aceh province!!!
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

That's the old "no innauguration ceremony during wars rule." The utter fiend!

Explain.
In fact, irrespective of the tsunami disaster, what justification do you have for a $40 million ceremony on one man?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:02 pm
It's a symptom of the very problem with America that Bush is the spokesperson of; namely that the problems of the poor have no bearing whatsoever on the concerns of the rich.

It's not as if this is a new problem; but it sure is more apparent now than in the past.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
you are absolutely right...the problems of the rich holding themselves higher than the poor have always been here..politicians of all stripes have always been self aggrandizing ass holes...it was they who ordered the crucifiction of Christ for political gain.....Jew and Roman both.....what bushinc brings to the table is arrogance and pride, the kind that doesn't even put up the facade of genuine altruism, caring or empathy for those less fortunate or the just plain folks.....renewed, unapologetic and out on the table for all to see. It is part of the return to the days of Pharaohs and Emperors.....followed inevitably, by the collaprse of the Empire itself, swallowed and consumed by the selfsame pride and arrogance of it's leaders. The result of overreaching has ever been the same.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:12 pm
You guys are just mad because you weren't invited.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:15 pm
Were I offered a job playing at one of the lesser parties...even for great money...I wouldn't go....were squinney and I lucky enough to get a bid for the balloon work or some of the decor or audio or lighting....I would turn it down regardless the profit.....
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:18 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You guys are just mad because you weren't invited.

OT:
Is there a cost for attending?...or is attendance based on contribution amounts...or invitational based on other criteria?
I didn't really follow the process when I read it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brandon9000
As a Bush lemming you won't understand this however there such a thing as respect and empathy. The question is not whether Bush should have his day in the sun but rather whether based on the tragedy that he has caused it should be an opulent and obscene affair. Maybe it should be used to give aid to the American servicepeople and their families that are being shortchanged.

1. Your use of the word lemming assumes facts not in evidence. I am not merely following Bush, I am supporting him because he does things I already wanted before he arrived on the scene.
2. Bush did not cause a tragedy to any greater extent than any other president who has fought a war. Indeed, he started the war as part of a program to avert a tragedy incalculably larger and worse than the war in Iraq, specifically WMD events in American or allied cities. You, of course, never see that side of the equation.
3. The fact that someone is sufferring somewhere does not mean that no one may enjoy themselves anywhere, particularly if the latter are donating large sums of money to aid the former.

Go right ahead and waste all of your time magnifying Bush's real and imaginary faults so that my side can continue to trounce yours in elections.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Brandon9000

1. Your use of the word lemming assumes facts not in evidence. I am not merely following Bush, I am supporting him because he does things I already wanted before he arrived on the scene.
2. Bush did not cause a tragedy to any greater extent than any other president who has fought a war. Indeed, he started the war as part of a program to avert a tragedy incalculably larger and worse than the war in Iraq, specifically WMD events in American or allied cities. You, of course, never see that side of the equation.3. The fact that someone is sufferring somewhere does not mean that no one may enjoy themselves anywhere, particularly if the latter are donating large sums of money to aid the former.

Go right ahead and waste all of your time magnifying Bush's real and imaginary faults so that my side can continue to trounce yours in elections.

Oh we see it, we just don't believe it, just as you see but don't believe that it is an oil profit, real estate grab, keep 'em pissing their pants in fear and remain in power exercise disguised as a war.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Brandon9000

2. Bush did not cause a tragedy to any greater extent than any other president who has fought a war. Indeed, he started the war as part of a program to avert a tragedy incalculably larger and worse than the war in Iraq, specifically WMD events in American or allied cities. You, of course, never see that side of the equation.3. The fact that someone is sufferring somewhere does not mean that no one may enjoy themselves anywhere, particularly if the latter are donating large sums of money to aid the former.

Oh we see it, we just don't believe it, just as you see but don't believe that it is an oil profit, real estate grab, keep 'em pissing their pants in fear and remain in power exercise disguised as a war.

Thanks for highlighting that part BPB.
...still clinging to that WMD BS huh?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Brandon9000

As the world's technology advances, and things once difficult to construct become less difficult, the real prospect of a WMD being used in a populated area and killing and wounding millions all at once is more than sufficient to cause justifiable fear.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:50 pm
And that has what to do with invading Iraq?

If merely the desire to see America go to hell and the possibility of obtaining the technology to do it is cause for fear and pre emptive war then why are we only at war with Iraq? How about N Korea? How about China? How about France for that matter?

If countries that have demonstrated their willingness to drop nukes on others and bomb the **** out of others and invade others at the drop of a hat and have the technology and desire to use it need to be eliminated then maybe we better commit mass suicide here at home...because we are one of the largest purveyors of it. We kill everything that f*#king moves whenever we decide to .
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:55 pm
Then I suppose all those who oppose us and wish to do us harm had better not do a lot of moving. That will then save us the trouble of having to go kill them all at some point in the future.

(Don't start throwing things at me, I am smiling as I write this)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
Going to war to assure your own safety seems counterintuitive.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:06 pm
Quote:
But, not going to war to assure your own safety didn't seem to work too well for a number of countries in 1939. But we shouldn't bring that up since that does not support the point you wish to make. Ah well.......

Really?

It worked well for something like 60% of the countries on earth.

And there's a huge difference between hegonomizing, aggressive threats with huge mobile armies and.... what exactly was the threat here? Oh, right, some people might be doing some bad things.

But, we shouldn't bring that up, since it doesn't support the point you wish to make.....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:07 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Going to war to assure your own safety seems counterintuitive.

As much as sawing off your arm if you're trapped under a rock in the middle of nowhere? Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, particularly if nobody else is going to be riding up to save the day.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:11 pm
And we are trapped under a rock in the middle of nowhere? Find another analogy becuase that one....DAMN!!!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:12 pm
Re: U.S. Tells D.C. to Pay Inaugural Expenses
I find the whole premise of this thread rather silly. Yes, the US government, like any other, should give all it can; yes, President Bush, being a very rich man, should give all he can; neither means there can't still also be an inauguration. There will be, there would be.

What strikes me though is that noones remarked on what does seem the real outrage, to me - this one:

Quote:
washingtonpost.com
U.S. Tells D.C. to Pay Inaugural Expenses
Other Security Projects Would Lose $11.9 Million
By Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 11, 2005; Page A04

D.C. officials said yesterday that the Bush administration is refusing to reimburse the District for most of the costs associated with next week's inauguration, breaking with precedent and forcing the city to divert $11.9 million from homeland security projects.

Federal officials have told the District that it should cover the expenses by using some of the $240 million in federal homeland security grants it has received in the past three years -- money awarded to the city because it is among the places at highest risk of a terrorist attack.

But that grant money is earmarked for other security needs, Mayor Anthony A. Williams (D) said in a Dec. 27 letter to Office of Management and Budget Director Joshua B. Bolten and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge. Williams's office released the letter yesterday.

Williams estimated that the city's costs for the inauguration will total $17.3 million, most of it related to security. City officials said they can use an unspent $5.4 million from an annual federal fund that reimburses the District for costs incurred because of its status as the capital. But that leaves $11.9 million not covered, they said.

"We want to make this the best possible event, but not at the expense of D.C. taxpayers and other homeland security priorities," said Gregory M. McCarthy, the mayor's deputy chief of staff. "This is the first time there hasn't been a direct appropriation for the inauguration."

A spokesman for Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.), chairman of the House Government Reform Committee, which oversees the District, agreed with the mayor's stance. He called the Bush administration's position "simply not acceptable."

"It's an unfunded mandate of the most odious kind. How can the District be asked to take funds from important homeland security projects to pay for this instead?" said Davis spokesman David Marin.

The region has earmarked federal homeland security funds for such priorities as increasing hospital capacity, equipping firefighters with protective gear and building transit system command centers. [..]

The $17.3 million the city expects to spend on this inauguration marks a sharp increase from the $8 million it incurred for Bush's first. [..]
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:15 pm
I think I meant going to war to ensure that no threats exist to your safety seems counterintuitive. I don't really believe that one's safety can be ensured at all.
0 Replies