I want the US to lose the war in Iraq

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:09 am
Bear, Tico claims you meant this (as I'm sure you know):

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Just exactly why are they the enemy, Tico?

Are they your friends, Gus?

Of course they are...we blew half their f*#king country up and then started shooting at them....I don't believe they were shooting at us before that.....it would sure be more convenient if they'd just lie down and let us kill them....but the inconsiderate bastards just won't cooperate....

Whereas the rest of us know that you meant this:

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Just exactly why are they the enemy, Tico?

Reason #1: They are shooting at and trying to blow up our troops.

Of course they are...we blew half their f*#king country up and then started shooting at them....I don't believe they were shooting at us before that.....it would sure be more convenient if they'd just lie down and let us kill them....but the inconsiderate bastards just won't cooperate....

I'm with DLowan in thinking it is a cheap rhetorical trick, but I suppose he could simply be mistaken.

Edit: Tico beat me to it. Sorry, folks.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:12 am
Tico, apology accepted, and thank you for it. There are many here who share your views that could not bring themselves to do so. A display of character from the right. Still the season of miracles. :wink:
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:21 am
Ticomaya wrote:
It is not inappropriate for a patriot to want a war to be ended quickly and the soldiers home as soon as possible. I want that. But I don't want the US to lose this war.

Tico, can you tell me how you would define "winning" the war in Iraq? My problem with your argument is that you keep defining it in terms of winning and losing; I frankly do not see a likely outcome in Iraq that I could consider a win.

Let me clarify here: free and fair elections with no major civil war/conflict for 5-10 years could be considered a victory by some. I won't even argue that I think the price has been far to high. But I just don't see it happening.

If we can't win then we've already lost. All that remains is throwing our troops in front of bombs and bullets until the administration can admit what a stupid idea this war was. And they, need I remind you, are incapable of admitting to a mistake.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:26 am
What exactly do you see as Lusatian's "points" Just Wonders?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:27 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I can see how ridiculing a person for holding certain views rather than taking the time to argue well reasoned points against those views (as some have done) would be appealing.

What's to argue, though? As pointed out earlier, it's fairly irrelevant that some here are hoping for defeat in Iraq, no matter what their reasons. Let them hope. Isn't that the democratic way?

I didn't think the point of the thread was to argue what's right or wrong about the war, but rather someone defending their own version of "patriotism".

As Lusatian notes, the only one it seems to be important to is the originator of the thread. It seems to me that his opinion of himself should be the only one that matters - not what others think.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:30 am
Re: I want the US to lose the war in Iraq
JustWonders wrote:

Quite possibly one of the finer posts I've read on A2K. Thanks, Lusatian!

I agree with every single, well-made point, and fully understand the need of some here to defend their "patriotism".

Points? It was just a string of ad hominems in which my brother belittles himself more than the object of his insults.

It plays well to similar-minded folk but there was no argument or point other than derision.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:32 am
JustWonders wrote:

What's to argue, though? As pointed out earlier, it's fairly irrelevant that some here are hoping for defeat in Iraq, no matter what their reasons. Let them hope. Isn't that the democratic way?

I didn't think the point of the thread was to argue what's right or wrong about the war, but rather someone defending their own version of "patriotism".

As Lusatian notes, the only one it seems to be important to is the originator of the thread. It seems to me that his opinion of himself should be the only one that matters - not what others think.

<edited for clarity>

Well, other people on this thread have made a pretty good go at what constitutes patriotism, whether the war is just, whether it's possible to be patriotic and still hope for the military defeat of your country's government, what constitutes defeat/victory.

If the simple fact that our expressions on this board are irrelevant should prevent us from engaging in discussion, I think this board would be quite silent.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:33 am
Re: I want the US to lose the war in Iraq
Craven de Kere wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

I agree with every single, well-made point, and fully understand the need of some here to defend their "patriotism".

Points? It was just a string of ad hominems in which my brother belittles himself more than the object of his insults.

It plays well to similar-minded folk but there was no argument or point other than derision.

Kind of like your "sketch", huh, Craven?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:34 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Well, JOE, you are correct that it is my say-so. It is my opinion, so it is my "say-so," I suppose. If you don't like my opinion, feel free to ignore same.

It's not that I don't like your opinion. I really have no feelings for it one way or the other. I just don't happen to agree with it. And you've given me no reasons to change my opinion (and there's no need to supersize my name -- I'm not hard of seeing).

Ticomaya wrote:
I think it is very easy for a patriotic fellow to be an opponent of the Iraq war and a proponent of US victory. The reasons for this persons' opposition to the war could be multi-faceted and various: they might be generally opposed to war because they are pacifists; they, like you, might think the war is a big mistake; they, like you, might have formed the opinion that the war was "illegal"; etc. Whatever the basis for this person's staunch opposition to the war, the fact that they are opposed to the war does not necessarily mean they must be opposed to a US victory in that war. A person can disagree with the reasons for going to war, and more than that, wish we weren't in the war, but not allow themselves to root against their country in the war. I'm at a loss for why you think that if a person is opposed to the war they must be opposed to the US winning the war.

I am opposed to the war because I view it as an illicit conflict and I believe that, ultimately, its further prosecution will do more harm than good to the US. As such, it is eminently reasonable to want the conflict to end as quickly as possible, both because prosecuting an unjust war is itself unjust, and because the more we fight the more damage we inflict upon ourselves. And if ending the war sooner is better than ending the war later, then ending the war now is the best option available. And if people believe that ending the war now would mean defeat for the US, then, logically, defeat is the best option for the US to pursue.

Given my premises, I think the conclusion is inescapable. If one opposes the war for the reasons that I've given (and I'm not sure why someone would oppose the war for different reasons -- but I'm willing to listen to divergent viewpoints), then one should want the US to lose the war, and the quicker the better.

Ticomaya wrote:
Let's say you act on your beliefs, and let's also say you are privy to some US military secrets, and through some connections you provide these to Iraqi insurgents who use same against the US military. The reason you do this is because you "want what is best for the US and its citizens," and you are convinced that if you provide secrets to the enemy, the enemy will defeat the US sooner, and in your mind that is what is in the best interests of the US. In doing so, you might think you are a patriot, but in fact you are a traitor. Do you disagree?

Of course I disagree. Let's say you want a bicycle. You see a bicycle in a store window. Are you therefore entitled to steal it?

To desire a particular outcome, one is not obliged to desire all the means possible to achieve that outcome. Aiding and abetting the enemy in time of war is illegal.* I want the US to obey the law; it would be extremely hypocritical of me to say that I should be able to achieve that end by breaking the law myself.

*I'll assume, for the purposes of this discussion, that there is both a war (something on which OCCOM BILL, for instance, is not entirely clear) and an enemy. Those are points that are, at least theoretically, debatable, but since any treason prosecution would most likely be brought by the Bush administration Justice Department, there is no practical likelihood of those premises being questioned.

EDIT: corrected a spelling error
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:38 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Its a context thing Joe. It's much easier on our fearless leader to tuck everything in the envelope marked "war on terror", which is still going on. But we already whooped the soldiers in the war. That's why we call the fools we're now fighting insurgents. :wink:

If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'm sorry you feel that way Joe. I believe the death toll would be higher if we did it your way. Sad Since I also think we'd be leaving Iraq in worse shape than we found it, I find your position morally bankrupt.

That's because you ignore half of my argument. As I stated in my original post: "It is ... incumbent upon the US not only to cease its aggression but to make amends, i.e. to make it so that Iraq is in no worse position than it was before the war, and preferably to make it better." Leaving Iraq immediately, without any effort to rectify the grave injustice that the US has wrought by its aggression, would indeed be morally bankrupt. That's why I do not endorse such a position.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:40 am
JustWonders wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

Kind of like your "sketch", huh, Craven?

Nope not at all like that. The sketch had multiple points that analogize Tico's reduction of everyone else's positions using his definitions of what patriotism should mean to them, what winning should constitute and who their enemies should be.

My brother had no point exept to deride. And I've long bemoaned that he thinks writing out long insults constitute an argument or an acceptable debate.

It demeans him even if there are inevitably some like-minded people who cheer the insult.

I disagree with Joe here, as does Lusatian. But Lusatian's stock and store on A2K is to simply practice insults in a throwback to our childhood arguments.

What I have long lamented is that when he continues to confuse grownup argument and debate with childhood arguments and insults he does himself a disservice.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:44 am
If you want the US to lose this war, then you ought to actually take steps to see that it does lose, such as giving weapons to the enemy, sabotaging US military plans, etc. If hoping your country's army is defeated is patriotic, then surely taking steps to see that it is defeated must be even more patriotic.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:46 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you want the US to lose this war, then you ought to actually take steps to see that it does lose, such as giving weapons to the enemy, sabotaging US military plans, etc. If hoping your country's army is defeated is patriotic, then surely taking steps to see that it is defeated must be even more patriotic.

the quintessential Brandon response......gives one a feeling of comfort and continuity.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

the quintessential Brandon response......gives one a feeling of comfort and continuity.....

Name calling only demonstrates that you cannot answer my point.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
dlowan wrote:
I finished reading the thread - and saw this: "I want what is best for the US and its citizens. That, to my mind, makes me an American patriot. I also believe that losing the war in Iraq will be best for the US and its citizens. That means that I can want the US to lose the war and still be a patriot. How am I mistaken?"

There is your definition of patriotism - I would argue that it does not fully encompass the normal meaning of patriotism - but it is a reasonable working definition. Using that definition i could easily agree that you are a patriot.

Yes, that's my definition. But frankly I think I qualify as a "patriot" even under Larry434's definition.

He defined a "patriot" as: "one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests." Now, I certainly love my country. I love it so much that I hate to see any of its citizens killed in unnecessary and unjust wars.

Furthermore, I fully support its authority. But since the authority of any government is founded upon laws, I can only support that authority to the extent that it lawfully exercises that authority; to do otherwise would be to condone lawlessness in the name of "authority," which is a contradiction. And since the US had no legal right to wage this war, the only people who are supporting the US's authority are the ones, like me, who are urging the government to renounce its lawless policy.

Finally, I fully support the US's interests. Those interests coincide with the rule of law in the world. In other words, it serves the US's overall interests if all nations obey both their explicit promises and the general international legal regime. Those who argue that the US is free to renege on its promises and violate its legal obligations are the ones who are acting contrary to the nation's interests.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:50 am
nimh wrote:
Haven't read up through all three subsequent pages, so here's just my answers to the replies to my posts last night:
I've only gotten this far myself
Nimh wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Nimh wrote:
, could a true Iraqi patriot, last spring as the foreign armies started landing in Iraq, occupying his country and fighting his country's army, feasibly have "rooted for the enemy?
Yep. It just depends on how he defined his enemy. I'd say his biggest enemy was the person who pocketed billions in grocery money, effectively starving millions of his fellow citizens to death. Lucky for him, his new friends, the US showed up to help. His enemy was too strong to be defeated without help, so now if he's a true Iraqi patriot, he's quite grateful.

So what about an American who considers Bush to be his "greatest enemy", because - he's a patriot, after all - he considers the Bush administration to be the greatest current danger to his country's welfare? Can he welcome "new friends" who offer the needed help to free his country from what he sees as its scourge?
I don't see that as much of a dilemma. Patriot and traitor are antonyms, are they not? If I look back to my own country's civil war, I see a fight between patriots, fighting for what each believed to be right. Now since history is written by the victorious, the south wound up being written as the bad guys. It could have gone the other way, and President Robert E. Lee would have one day written memoirs about how his fellow patriots defeated the misguided fools of the North. The same situation applies in Iraq and that's why I think its crucial to offer amnesties to insurgents, at an appropriate time, once it's clear the country is under control of the new government. Just like here in the States, there will no doubt be residual hatred that may last centuries. That fact, in itself, sheds no light on the just-ness or lack of it in our cause.

Nimh wrote:
Mind you, instinctively I share your conclusion of course - I agree with you on it, one can be an Iraqi patriot and still have rooted for the Saddam-era Iraqi army to lose against the foreign American invader. It's just hard, apparently, to formulate a consistent argument on that that doesn't also allow an American citizen to be a patriot and yet hope for the US army to quickly lose in Iraq (hopefully with less loss of human life than a protracted defeat over years would cost).
Not really. One man's patriot is another man's traitor. In our civil war; both sides were patriots, so both sides were also traitors. Both sides could make logical arguments that they were indeed on the right side of right, though obviously the right side won.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:50 am
Brandon that is not a logically sound axiom.

Joe has already addressed part of the axiom here:

Joe wrote:
Let's say you want a bicycle. You see a bicycle in a store window. Are you therefore entitled to steal it?

You take the logic one step worse by deciding for yourself what the only course of action should be.

It's like saying that if somone doesn't like Bush's policies they should kill him. There are other options like speaking out against them or voting that are more appropriate.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:51 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Brandon that is not a logically sound axiom.

Joe has already addressed part of the axiom here:

Joe wrote:
Let's say you want a bicycle. You see a bicycle in a store window. Are you therefore entitled to steal it?

You take the logic one step worse by deciding for yourself what the only course of action should be.

It's like saying that if somone doesn't like Bush's policies they should kill him. There are other options like speaking out against them or voting that are more appropriate.

I was being sarcastic, of course. My point is that wanting your army to lose is not patriotic, because if it were, helping your country to lose would then be even more patriotic, which, clearly, it isn't.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:55 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Name calling? Where? Let me rephrase slowly and clearly......that represents the kind of post I have come to expect from Brandon....he is being 100% predictable in the style and content of his reply.... I offer no judgement of him or his post...merely observe that Brandon continues in his familiar style.....

I certainly hope that assuages any fears you may have that I was throwing either sticks or stones your way.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:56 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Name calling? Where? Let me rephrase slowly and clearly......that represents the kind of post I have come to expect from Brandon....he is being 100% predictable in the style and content of his reply.... I offer no judgement of him or his post...merely observe that Brandon continues in his familiar style.....

I certainly hope that assuages any fears you may have that I was throwing either sticks or stones your way.....

Okay, cool.
0 Replies