Dogs On Planes

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:13 pm
you can quick freeze a pet and then defrost them at the end. They keep well in a large pizza bag.

Kick-I love the way Becks is telling YOU to get a life and she wants to carry little pootsie on a plane. I would make life a living hell if there was some a8hole who brought a pet on a plane next to me. They have had pets develop ear trauma after going on flights where they pressurize. And how many people go cross country in a Cessna?
Be courteous to others and think of your pets inner ears .
0 Replies

andiblue

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:24 am
I agree that it is important to keep a dog under control while traveling, but usually the best way to do that is to have your dog with you. A mild sedation is usually recommended for long flights, but with small dogs that can be dangerous. I find children to be far more annoying than dogs, and would rather be next to miss yippy than to a crying babe any day of the week. My dog travels everywhere with me. She is well behaved and personable (and only 2.5 pounds). Because of her tiny size I have to be extra careful with her when flying. Most dogs aren't yappy, and it's not fair to categorize all traveling pooches as a nuisance just because one person has an ill behaved animal. In my opinion children are the nuisance and men are the ill behaved animals...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:02 pm
I have to admit, babies and yapping mutts run a pretty damn close race as far as which is the most annoying. They both squirm around and usually make all kinds of noise, and you never know when one of the damned things is going to throw up on you...and the babies with the crying...when I hear a baby crying for more than say, five seconds, it just makes me want to pound a spike through the head of the baby's parent, just to see if they find it as annoying as I find their goddammed brat's crying.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:25 pm
I'm sure you never cried as a baby, Kicky. Certainly not on a plane, as your parents didn't want to take you out in public.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:42 pm
You got that right. Who wouldn't be embarassed to bring a baby with a three-foot long dick out in public?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:07 pm
I think kicky's writing op-eds for the NYT now ...

Quote:
Pain, Agony, Despair: Flying With Children

Published: July 24, 2005

It's summertime, which means many people these days are flying with children, an experience that can be enriching and exciting, and is followed by memories that linger even after the shell shock, nightmares and trauma-induced facial tics have faded away.

Any airplane trip with children begins before boarding in the airport gate area, where the parents, dreading the next four hours of high-altitude agony, will be laying down a bed of psychic tension that will be the karmic foundation for everything that is to come. They will be coaching their children on how to behave, spreading maniacally upbeat good cheer and exuding the waves of anxiety that are almost clinically certain to produce a toddler meltdown.

it only gets better ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:21 pm
I read that this morning, it was hilarious....
0 Replies

rachray

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:23 pm
pet sitters
There are wonderful people out there who pet sit for a living...It takes away a lot of the danger of illness from going to a boarding facility. Like Bordetella, worms, parvo(bordetella and parvo are vaccinated against) but you know those crazy diseases you can occasionally still get bordetella AKA kennel cough. If any of you live in the Pittsburgh area I actually do this and if you can't travel w/ your pet try it get a sitter. And they are usually a bit cheaper to around the same price as boarding facilities.
0 Replies

laceym5

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
Give pet owners a break
Okay, so a whining pet on a plane is annoying.

But pets are only allowed in the cabin of the plane for "short" flights (ie no ocean crossings), which should answer the 'call of nature' question.

For anyone ever considering travelling with their pet: Please Please do not allow anyone to convince you to use a tranquilizer on them! Tranquilizers slow down the heart rate and breathing of the animal. With the change in altitude this can cause problems, especially for short nosed animals (like pugs). Additionally, they could easily suffocate on thier drool since they're knocked out.

If any of you are ever presented with a whining pet situation, please just remember that this animal is probably the owners baby. Just like an infant, you can't control them, but that doesn't mean you're going to leave them at home.
0 Replies

Ellen73

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:08 pm
Allergic to cats- and cats on a 9 hour flight!!!
Hi- I didn't read all of the replies to this thread, but... I was shocked that on a NINE HOUR trans-atlantic flight with Swiss Air recently, they allowed not one, but 2 cats on the flight!! I just happened to be in line behind one of them getting on the plane, and asked where her seat was, and she got mad!!! I stated that I was allergic, and just wondered. I was not nasty, maybe shocked, but in no way did I sound mean. Do people just not understand how horribly allergic people could be to cats? I can spend an hour or so in someones house who has cats (if the house is very clean), but beyond that, I can't breathe, my eyes begin to swell, I get a horrible headache and start sneezing. Luckily- I had one allegra and one sudafed in my purse!!

But if they don't allow peanuts anymore, why do they allow cats?? My sister wouldn't have even been able to be on that flight.
0 Replies

Matilda

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 06:09 am
Me and my husband wanted to fly to England with our dog but were put off by the travel agent who told my husband that he'd have to send the dog by frieght and possibly leave him in quarantine for a number of weeks making it totally impractical. They also referred us to http://www.aqis.gov.au/animex/asp/restriction.asp?ID=5132

I have never heard of anyone taking an international flight with a pet on their lap, but it would have been great fun Smile Instead we found a lovely place to stay with our English friends in Australia, it meant we didn't get to see England and its 'different' weather again, but we thoroughly enjoyed our stop at Pindari House Hunter Valley bed and breakfast who welcomed our dog as well. They also have a resident dog (also a Rhodesian Ridgeback - not exactly a lap dog Smile ). The owner also offered to 'babysit' our Rufus when we next fly to England!

There's been a good deal of news stories in the last year about poor behaviour on airliners, I wonder if the same problems could be faced with pets that go mad in mid flight Shocked ??

Personally, I would prefer not to see animals in cabins, I think it could lead to all manner of problems for passengers and animals, although there should be a means for pet owners to travel with their pets rather than shipping them out by frieght!
0 Replies

evedelfen

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 10:47 pm
First of all, I HATE people who have nothing better to do than bitch and complain about everything and everyone. Please don't procreate!!!! For the love of God don't ever have sex...the less bitching people the better.

Reality check....an airplane is loud!! Duh so a "yapping" dog shouldn't be a problem. Man your Karma must be messed up.

I am planning a trip from Los Angeles to Spokane Washington and I am worried about my 12 pound dog that will be with me on the plane...in my lap!! I hope that ass is on my flight....I'll move my seat right behind him! I am sure my puppy (1 year old) will be scared out of her witts, but she'll be with me so maybe she won't be too bad. I'm worried about the pressure on her ears more than anything. I can get her something to help her calm down and sleep so maybe she'll just sleep in my lap the whole flight. Any ideas?? I have until July.

Thanks
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:01 pm
My business partner took her doberman on the plane(s) from California to Alaska. Yes, he turned out fine, stalwart fellow that he is. Alas he barked the entire long trip in cargo. She in the cabin could not just shhhhhsh him.

She pretended to read magazines...

I read articles a few years ago about where they are/were only shipping dogs on cargo planes with certain months, re the heat problem. Makes sense to me...

but I don't know any present day details.

My own dog would just up and die, in any kind of extreme heat.... as he is double fur coated and already an older boy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:11 pm
evedelfen wrote:
First of all, I HATE people who have nothing better to do than bitch and complain about everything and everyone. Please don't procreate!!!! For the love of God don't ever have sex...the less bitching people the better.

This is a tad intemperate. How about a simple hello?

Reality check....an airplane is loud!! Duh so a "yapping" dog shouldn't be a problem. Man your Karma must be messed up.

Eve,

I dunno. I once took a ride from my town to San Francisco on a prop plane, loud to start with, with one of the twelve passengers being a guy who said about 400 times, there there, to a screaming two year old. Lord, for ear plugs, and sustenance for the two year old.

People don't have to actually like dog barks, no matter how much any of us like or don't like dogs.

I'm sure the answer is complicated, re dog comfort and soundproofing.
Would not mind knowing more on all this. Hundreds of dog show dogs (another subject) fly often. I've read some articles re dogs not being allowed to fly in summer in the US, which makes some sense to me.

I am planning a trip from Los Angeles to Spokane Washington and I am worried about my 12 pound dog that will be with me on the plane...in my lap!! I hope that ass is on my flight....I'll move my seat right behind him! I am sure my puppy (1 year old) will be scared out of her witts, but she'll be with me so maybe she won't be too bad. I'm worried about the pressure on her ears more than anything. I can get her something to help her calm down and sleep so maybe she'll just sleep in my lap the whole flight. Any ideas?? I have until July.

Thanks
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:03 am
evedelfen wrote:

Welcome to A2K evedelfen.....

reading back on page 1 or 2, re: Butchie the doeg...

HA!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:47 am
evedelfen wrote:

Poor, poor retarded people. All those "normal" people on the plane, and you have to sit there with your helmet, your drool cup and your little doggie. Sad.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
hey kicky, I wasn't planning on doing any procreating anyway....were you?

In that case, we can be as mean as we want.

The buck stops here.
You'll be sorry when I'm gone.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 10:35 am
Well, I wasn't planning on doing any procreating, but after reading Evedelfen's post, I am thinking about having a whole litter of little whining bastard kids, and teaching them to bitch, moan and complain about EVERYTHING.

Maybe I'll even teach them how to strangle a small dog on a plane without getting caught, just for good measure.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:44 pm
Ya know what?

What Chai?

I was looking at the title of this thread, and starting singing it to that really lame song..."Girls On Film"

Dogs on Planes......
Dogs on planes......

that'll be in my head all night.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:48 pm
Dogs in Flames...

sorry..

Dog of Flanders...

I see there was no comment after my quote of a few posts above - beg pardon, that kind of thing happens when my computer freezes. By the time I get it all restarted and get a cup of coffee, etc., I've forgotten what I had been posting when it happened.
Just as well I didn't comment.
0 Replies