Dogs On Planes

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:44 pm
I'm sorry too, about Bootsy's health. Sigh.

I'm lucky, Pacco usually stays with my business partner, her husband, the doberman, the cocker spaniel, and two cats, while I'm away. He just fits right in..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:09 pm
Thanks Jane - is that avatar a picture of you? I like it.

Thanks Osso.

I keep thinking of the Ann Rice vampire novels I used to read. The vampires would live for ever and their human cohorts would die (or become vampires as well). We humans have the **** end of the stick, out living our animal pals.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:52 am
Yes it's me littlek - having a bad headache after drinking too
much redwine Smile

littlek, for us animal lovers who keep their beloved dogs/cats
from puppyhood until death, it is very painful to see them go.
But nature provided for the animals as so many irresponsible
pet owners just dump them after a couple of years, and
shelters are hopelessly overloaded. If they'd lived for 20 or
30 years, their lives would be quite miserable.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:41 am
I know, I just have to keep myself in the right frame of mind - thanks for the help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 12:07 pm
Boots is a marvellous dog. Great for sharing Cape Cod sunrises with when the hostess is snoozing :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:29 pm
<grin>

She was super-cute today. The kids have a new little indoor pup-tent with a tunnel you can attach to it. The tiny tots were crawling around in it and Boots was looking like she was hunting little rodents under the snow - head held high, ears pointed so as to pick up little sounds from the ground......
0 Replies

kimber

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:23 pm
pets on airlines
Small dogs should definitely be allowed on the plane. But it is the responsibility of the owner to get them compfortable with travel prior to flying. If the dog is yappy its b/c the dog is scared or uncomfortable.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:38 pm
I sat next to a guy on a plane once that had one of these in a cat carrier:

http://www.ahomls.com/images%5Cpixiebob.JPG

It's a pixie-bob, a cross between a domestic cat and a bobcat. Freaky thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
Sorry that was so big.
0 Replies

Becks

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:42 pm
Re: Dogs On Planes
kickycan wrote:
On my flight home last night, there was actually some woman on the plane with her little dog in her coat. And sure enough, as soon as we started moving, the little fur-covered turd began yapping and whining...what the hell is the deal with that? How long have airlines been allowing this crap?

I don't think they should allow anything that yaps, yelps, barks or drools on a plane, and that includes babies! I know I'm fighting a losing battle with the babies thing, but come on, let's at least keep the dogs out, okay? Sheesh!

I am sure you managed just fine. The dog weighed maybe 10 pounds, if that, so it probably was not a big deal. My guess is you were more of a hassle on the flight than the dog. But hey - if you would prefer dogs in cargo - and dying because you can't handle a little whine - then you need to get a life. But I hope I sit next to you when you put your big head (it has to be big to hold your ego) on my side of the seat, or when you stretch you legs on my side of the isle, or when you drop your drink on my leg by accident... because I will then make a big FRIGGEN deal over such a stupid issue. I can just see people like you right now - don't have the guts to say anything, you just sit there and give dirty looks.

The only crap here is that you think inhumane treatment of animals is a better option. Get real.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:04 pm
Becks! I thank you for placing your first post on my thread. I can tell that I love you already. You're all charm.

Oh, and I appreciate your idiotic response too. Honest. I love idiocy, as you will see if you check out my other threads. Maybe you should stop by the "What non-fatal venereal disease have you had?" thread. It'd be a hoot to have you over there...really!

It's a shame that they let people like you have pets. You would think they should have some kind of IQ test, you know?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:43 am
Re: Dogs On Planes
Becks wrote:
The only crap here is that you think inhumane treatment of animals is a better option. Get real.

I'd be willing to bet that kicky, like me, prefers animals to be treated humanely, killed quickly, and sauteed in a little butter and garlic.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:02 am
I agree. Dogs should never be allowed on planes....only cats!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:26 am
And I'm guessing you might even limit it to include only stray cats, eh?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 01:01 pm
mmmmm.....well, some of those purebreds are pretty snobby...but, no, any cats are fine.....still better than dogs....and babies...

Those babies...always hogging all the milk, pulling your tail, then patting you on the head till you get a headache!!! Eech! Definately, no babies.

Hey! When do they start serving snacks on this flight? (purring in anticipation....)
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 01:48 pm
I put my dog in the cargo on two different occasions. Both times I tranquilized him (apparently you can give dogs benadryl 1mg/lbs as a tranquilizer-but check with your vet first!) and when I picked him up at baggage claim the little sucker (well he is 50lbs) was still out cold. Plus the cargo guy there told me they love it when dogs come through because they give them attention and talk to them, etc. However, it was traumatic for me because i was convinced they were going to lose him or he was going to melt under the plane, so I moved closer to my parents and now they watch him when we travel. I wonder if that works on kids...a little beer in the bottle...maybe they sleep the whole flight?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:38 pm
I actually wanted to take our dog (22 lb.) with us
to Europe next month, but the airlines we chose, declined
to take dogs overseas in summer months. If I could,
I would take him with me <sigh>

So now he's going to "Club Pet" instead.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:42 pm
i think they stopped doing that in the last few years because of the number of dogs dying in the hot conditions under the plane-the cargo areas are not air conditioned although they are pressurized. when i flew, i had to do it before 11am or after 6pm and my layover had to be under 1 hour so my pooch wasn't at risk of over heating in the cargo compartment. i am assuming CJ that you were going to have to put your dog in cargo? as i said before, the stress was too much for me, i had to find alternative plans (his nana and granddad!!)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:21 pm
No dragon, I would have taken him in the cabine with us,
after all that's a 16 hour flight with 1 stop over.
The fear of losing him along the way, would be
too stressful for me as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:55 pm
Memories of my business partner hearing her Doberman bark in cargo on the way to Alaska....

I read about that too re planes carrying dogs in summer months. Seems like some article said they could be sent on a cargo plane that is airconditioned (don't trust me, I read that fast a couple of years ago) - but then of course you'd be separated...
0 Replies