Dogs On Planes

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:33 pm
On my flight home last night, there was actually some woman on the plane with her little dog in her coat. And sure enough, as soon as we started moving, the little fur-covered turd began yapping and whining...what the hell is the deal with that? How long have airlines been allowing this crap?

I don't think they should allow anything that yaps, yelps, barks or drools on a plane, and that includes babies! I know I'm fighting a losing battle with the babies thing, but come on, let's at least keep the dogs out, okay? Sheesh!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,988 • Replies: 91
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:35 pm
You know, people can go to thier vets and have them perscribe a tranqulizer for the dog.
Most humane owners do that.

Other people who like to keep thier dogs in thier coats to keep thier tits warm, let them yap....
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 05:46 pm
I guess this was an internal flight? I can't imagine that international flights allow animals in the cabin because of quarantine laws? I agree that it's a bad thing. What if the little rat had a "call of nature"?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:04 pm
Small animals like cats and small dogs are usually allowed in the cabin on international flights, too. Of course they need to have all kinds of paperwork etc. As far as I know, most airlines allow one animal in the cabin. They have to be in a pet carrier that meets the size regulations for carry-on luggage.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:21 pm
Thanks for clearing that up for me, urs53.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:23 pm
My pleasure, Grand Duke. However, this does leave your question open about the call of nature... Hmmm, I can't imagine...

On our flight from Denver to Frankfurt there was a lady with a small child and a cat on the plane. Both behaved very well. And that's a ten hour flight.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:18 pm
I'm thinking of taking our dog to Europe next year.
I paid 600 Dollar for "Cub Pet" last June for 20 days and
afterwards he was sick and confused and I had an additional 100 Dollar Veterinarian cost to fork up.
For that amount I can get an extra seat for our little Max,
and he's happy to be with us.

He doesn't really bark too much, but I would consider
a tranquilizer. Proper paperwork is a must.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:32 pm
Ug, those poor people that have to sit next to you! If you're planning to go to Italy this spring, please let me know the flight so I can make sure I'm not on it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:59 pm
Hehe, no I'm flying into Munich.

Usually I'm on a 2 seater and my child is next to me,
so no poor people would have to put up with us and the
dog.

But there are dog lovers out there kicky, and ours is
particularly cute and charming.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:19 pm
I actually love dogs. Just not on airplanes.

Although, there was one dog I hated. Butchie. A friend of mine once came to visit me on the weekend when I lived in Orlando, and she just had to bring her dog. I have a freaking cat, so I told her I was not really sure about the dog idea, but she talked me into it.

I hated that dog. We were sitting there on the couch right after she arrived, and the dog was actually nipping at my leg and growling. I said something like "I don't think your dog likes me," and she says, "Aww, no, Butchie's just playing, aren't you Butchie?", and did nothing to stop him.

The first time my friend left us alone together, I let Butchie know exactly how I felt with a quick hard jab right to the face. Worked like a charm. He didn't come within arm's length of me the rest of the weekend.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:36 pm
shewolf wrote:
Other people who like to keep thier dogs in thier coats to keep thier tits warm

Grrrrrr, woof.....woof.....woof!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:41 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
shewolf wrote:
Other people who like to keep thier dogs in thier coats to keep thier tits warm

Grrrrrr, woof.....woof.....woof!

Give him a tranquilizer
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:52 pm
I've wondered about cats on planes. I'm very allergic to cats, and tend to sneeze madly in rooms they've been in. I guess they are ok in their crates. (I love cats, they just happen to make me sneeze to death).

Derby the dobie, Paoco's closest dog friend, was from a line of dobies raised by my business partner's sister, who lives in Alaska. He had a certain anatomical failure, and couldn't grow up to be a show dog, as his lineage had set up for him.
Thus he was a gift to S. The only catch was she had to go to Alaska to get him. That's a long flight from here in north north, and there was at least one stop. The Derb was in the cargo section in a crate. Barked and sung/howled the entire flight and you could hear it in the cabin. (She could let him out during the stopover.) S. pretended she didn't know him... tried to hold the flight magazine in front of her face.

(I don't know if he had a tranquilizer or not.) Ordinarily he is not much of a barker. That's Pacco's role in life, the barking chores.

I think there are difficulties however it goes.. I remember airlines not taking dogs in the cargo area during summer because of intense heat..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:54 pm
kickycan wrote:
......... I let Butchie know exactly how I felt with a quick hard jab right to the face. Worked like a charm. He didn't come within arm's length of me the rest of the weekend.

Gosh, you're cruel kicky. If you had done that to my dog,
I'd kick your ass so hard, you wouldn't be able to sit for a while.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:06 pm
Cruel my ass. This is how I see it. Her dog was biting me. She didn't stop it, or even acknowledge it. She was neglecting her doggie owner duties. And since I was the only other one around, I had to correct the situation. Besides, it wasn't like I made him bleed or anything. The dog was growling at me. I punched him once. he stopped growling. Simple.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:25 pm
kickycan wrote:
The dog was growling at me. I punched him once. he stopped growling. Simple.

I am never EVER going to growl at you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
You could punch him first paula Wink

Nono kicky, you just don't punch/hit animals.
Admittedly, your friend should have not neglected her
doggy duties, but the dog was only protecting his
territory. Maybe a pissing contest would have brought
you closer together Mr. Green
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:46 pm
I used to fly with my dog a lot. But, she's 60 lbs and she had to travel with the luggage.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:46 pm
Well, it was either that, or spend the weekend putting bandaids on my lacerated calves. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have just told my friend to either control her dog or get the hell out of my house.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:49 pm
And how did that work out, littlek?
0 Replies