Mind control in the Media

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:24 am
Is the level of mind control in the Mass Media at a level that's higher than ever before?

felicitybarnes

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:38 am
@longlivetrump,
yes. I believe how media platforms have widened, and now we have things such as snapchat, Instagram, YouTube etc.. the pressure to be a certain way has increased. I also believe that there is bias in the media regarding politics for example in the USA, CNN support the democrats and Fox News support the republicans, and similarly in the UK, the BBC are very supportive of the labour party as well as ITV.
Lash

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:01 am
@longlivetrump,
longlivetrump wrote:

Is the level of mind control in the Mass Media at a level that's higher than ever before?

Yes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:07 am
Was reading this this morning, and think it applies.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/magazine/what-i-care-about-is-important-what-you-care-about-is-a-distraction.html?mc=aud_dev&mcid=fb-nytimes&mccr=SeptMC9&mcdt=2017-09&subid=SeptMC9&ad-keywords=AudDevGate&referer=https://m.facebook.com/

Some of this:

But sometime around the 2016 election — as political discourse grew ever more heated and chaotic and factional — we found ourselves no longer able to agree on what, precisely, was distracting us from what. Groups began to predicate entire political identities on what was “important” versus what was a “distraction,” and “distraction” became a euphemism for everything outside the speaker’s own most fervent aims. For one person, following the Russia investigation is a distraction from the disabling of the E.P.A.; for the next, watching the E.P.A. is a distraction from legislation brewing in the House. Arguing about Confederate monuments is a distraction from health care; Trump’s tweets are a distraction from Trump’s executive orders.

This goes in both directions: It has become a standard of political discussion to call every political asteroid shooting toward the White House — infighting, leaks, special counsels, Nazis — a “distraction” for the administration itself, which would, in some magical alternate universe, be working smoothly and efficiently toward a coherent set of goals. This, officially, is why Trump’s Strategic and Policy Forum disbanded after Charlottesville: The protest resignations and political pressure on members had “become a distraction” from its goals of guiding policy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:26 am
@felicitybarnes,
felicitybarnes wrote:

similarly in the UK, the BBC are very supportive of the labour party as well as ITV.

Total horseshit.

Quote:
As The Canary previously reported, in January, the BBC Trust found that a report by Kuenssberg on Jeremy Corbyn and the police’s ‘shoot-to-kill’ policy had breached accuracy and impartiality guidelines. Previously, she faced accusations of ‘stage managing‘ the resignation of a member of Labour’s Shadow Cabinet at the height of the so-called ‘Chicken Coup’. And more recently Kuenssberg came under fire from the Scottish National Party over her reporting of ‘gossip’ about a second independence referendum.

But the accusations of BBC bias run deeper than just Kuenssberg. As The Canary has documented, a 2013 Cardiff University analysis of the BBC found that:
•It consistently grants more airtime to the Conservatives, whichever party is in power.
•On BBC News at Six, business representatives outnumbered trade union spokespeople by 19:1 in 2012.
•BBC coverage of the 2008 financial crisis was dominated by stockbrokers, investment bankers, hedge fund managers and other City voices. Civil society voices or commentators critical of the finance sector were almost completely absent from coverage.

Kuenssberg’s interests outside the BBC marry with the Cardiff University study. As parliament’s Register of Interests for Lobby journalists details [pdf p9], Kuenssberg has also done paid work for The Telegraph; as well as banks JP Morgan and Credit Suisse and ‘Big Four’ accountancy firm Ernst and Young.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2017/09/27/need-talk-laura-kuenssberg-shes-listed-speaker-tory-party-conference/

The only people whose minds are being controlled are the clueless idiots who voted for Trump.
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:27 am
An important distinction can be made between so-called "mind control," and persuasion. All too often, of course, persuasion can involve falsehood and misdirection. In the end, however, it is up to each individual to carefully sift the "news" and to check sources and verify the alleged expertise of sources of information. Before motion pictures, before radio and before television, people relied on books and newspapers. Going out to listen to public speakers was a popular form of entertainment. Now people sit on their dead butts and expect to be spoon-fed information. If that's "mind control," it's their own damned faults for being lazy.

Of course, in the contemporary 140 character universe, it's likely that many people will not bother to read this much.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:02 am
I ran into a couple of related articles.

https://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-workers-we-routinely-suppressed-conser-1775461006

Part:
Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.
centrox

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 07:50 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.

But that's a good thing to do! Facebook not so bad after all.
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:39 pm
@izzythepush,
There are plenty of clueless idiots in general.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:41 pm
Do you guys not realize that it was a couple of Russians who started this thread?

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Obviously anyone with the handle "long live Trump" is a serious loser, but what makes you think it's more than one, and Russians?

I think my answers stands up even President Plump himself stared the thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:44 pm
OK, you're saying the first respondent is a part of a partnership.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:48 pm
@Setanta,
Bingo

I see this very same thing all over the place on the web these days.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:56 pm
Everybody's got something to hide
Except me and my monkey
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 01:13 pm
I decided a while ago that I don't know anyone on the internet, so I don't adjust an answer for a person who's moniker is Trumpisawesome or Russianspyperson or Rabel.

I try not to give out state secrets to all of you.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Several years ago, Russian operatives began posting here, at that time taking swipes at Georgia and the Ukraine, Chechnya and Ingusetia. When I would see them, I would tag them "Russian Propaganda" and "FSB troll." You could actually use those tags to go find the history of Russian trolling at this site. RG got a case of the ass at me for doing that, but maybe he just wasn't paying attention. The KGB would have had a field day with the internet, but they didn't live long enough. But FSB hasn't missed that trick. Unfortunately, the "Russian Propaganda" tag only pulls up results back to 2013.

And of course, the beloved leader Vladimir "Admire my Pecs" Putin began his public life as a KGB agent. Here's the boy from a 1980 class photo:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Vladimir_Putin_in_KGB_uniform.jpg
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:18 pm
@Setanta,
I remember! We'd get these weird, broken-english posts, about a paragraph long. I also tagged some of them, let me see if I can hunt a link or three down...

Actually given the situation last Fall, the title of this thread is quite accurate.

Edit: take a look at the guy's only other post:

Quote:
well to be very honest, i believe that guns in general are the flaw in humanity, then obsession of guns in some southern and mainly republican states outlines the depth of the capitalist nature we have in the us .#longlivehillary #hillary2020

There is a zero percent chance this dude is anything but a Russian troll, trying to stir up ****.

Cycloptichorn
Foofie

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:25 pm
Mind control means what one wants. My belief is that the media is into "pandering" to those that society wants to lessen their alienation by including them in the media outlets. Who can I be talking about? Just go back to a newspaper from 1950, and see who is in the news and who is not.

The only question is are these folks that were invisible in 1950 any less alienated from society. Yes. Less alienated to the point where they oftentimes do not have an ounce of gratitude to the powers that be for the effort at "inclusion."

I used to think that "entitlement" was the problem in society; I tend to think that "ingratitude" is causing the dichotomy in society. It reminds me of the scene in Private Benjamin when no gratitude was given to the uncle in giving the wedding gift of expensive bolster pillows, because they were the wrong color, or some other minor thing. Etiquette dictates, I thought, to just say "thank you" when one receives something. Even if one should have had that something all along, since someone is bucking the old system to do something positive and putting oneself out on the proverbial limb, in my iconoclastic opinion.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:28 pm
@Foofie,
Gosh, those ungrateful wretches, failing to thank their former oppressors for deciding to oppress them just a little bit less

I mean, can you imagine? The nerve!

Cycloptichorn
Foofie

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Gosh, those ungrateful wretches, failing to thank their former oppressors for deciding to oppress them just a little bit less

I mean, can you imagine? The nerve!

Cycloptichorn

As I said, etiquette dictates saying thank you. One does not have to show gratitude for anything, but it might have long term consequences that snowball.