Oscar Trivia...Answer,Ask

mac11

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:31 pm
Yes Larry, I believe that's the idea. I have been using IMDb to help ask a question or to confirm details of an answer after it's given...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:39 pm
Well I didn't forget Julianne, and somebody said I was wrong. Now my feelings are hurt. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:42 pm
In the original posting, I did ask that we use the honor system, and at least make a stab at using brainpower. Then, if we get stomped, go for it.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:08 pm
Booman, please accept my apologies.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:32 am
(sniff).We-ll okay Mac... Very Happy
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:15 am
Sorry I've been gone for awhile. Title writing was correct.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 05:29 pm
Two popular actors did a song and dance number on an Oscar telecast, essentially saying, they didn't care about being snubbed for years. One of them won shortly thereafter.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 05:30 pm
Anyone have any comments on the poll?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:19 pm
Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas did the dance, 1958 or 1959, I think. I can't remember who won first after that, maybe Burt for Birdman of Alcatraz?

I voted for Billy Crystal, but might choose Carson if I had to do it over, he was so smooth and flawless.

No one knows the only Nobel Laureate to win an Oscar?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 08:25 pm
But was the one , I think it was for "Elmer Gantry"

I can understand the ambiguity, billy is more recent, and those entrances were brilliant. Of course Bob's machinegun delivery was something special too. Who could come close to those three?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 09:48 pm
No one I can think of. Anybody but Whoopi. I think Letterman would be great if he would come to the show without his entourage and all his writers, and just be himself. Maybe since his heart problems he has calmed down enough and wouldn't be quite as arrogant. I'd love to see him give it another try.

My favorite Oscar line might still be Bob Hope's "Welcome to the Academy Awards, or, as it's known at my house, Passover."
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 05:03 pm
Larry,
...You seem to have stomped us. Your Question has been out for over 45 hours. So feel free to tell us, then ask another. Meanwhile, here's one for us to chew on.
...I'm thinking of a movie that was the first, and perhaps the only one to make a clean sweep of the top Oscars; Best-Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay. ..Name that flik!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 05:29 pm
George Bernard Shaw for Pygmalion.

Wasn't it It Happened One Night? But I thought that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest did it too. But maybe that was just the big 4, Picture, Director, Actor, Actress - can't remember.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 05:42 pm
You're in the zone Larry,
...Go ahead with a question.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:11 pm
In 1934 It Happened One Night won

Picture
Director
Actor
Actress
Screenplay (Adapted)
and no others

In 1975 Cuckoo won the same. Louise Fletcher's win for Best Actress was for a role that was technically a lead, but was more of a supporting role. Nicholson's win might have been a cumulative award because many thought he should have won for The Last Detail two years prior or for Chinatown in 1974. This year he beat out Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon, James Whitmore in Give 'em Hell Harry, Matthau in Sunshine Boys, and Maximillian Schell in The Man in the Glass Booth. <I've paraphrased from The Academy Awards Handbook.>

Who is the oldest woman nominated for Best Actress or Supporting Actress?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:16 pm
Jessica Tandy.?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:20 pm
She was the second oldest.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:22 pm
Larry,
..You mentioned that payback award for Jack. It was widely believed that Liz Taylor got one With "Butterfield 8". (I forget the snubbed performance... Virginia Woolf,maybe?) And I will go to my grave believing, when Whoopi Goldberg won for "Ghost", It was payback for the egregius, "Color Purple" slight.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:31 pm
She won for Woolf in 1966. Butterfield 8 was 1960. This book doesn't mention anything about a slight, but she was nominated and lost the previous year for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Susan Hayward won for I Want to Live! And she was nominated and lost two years previous for Raintree County, losing to Joanne Woodward, The Three Faces of Eve. Butterfield was her first win.

Jessica Tandy was the oldest female nominee until someone cruised along in her big doomed boat and bumped her into second place.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:41 pm
Perhaps it was for "Cat". Joanne 's performance, was one of the greatest, I've seen in my life. But then again mybe it was for the misfortune her timing because Susan was no slouch either. I was young, but I do remem ber that being disscussed. "Butterfield 8" wasn't really a spectacular performance.
0 Replies