Civil Liberties & Muslim Americans & War on Terror

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
Two Reports From Cornell University's Media and Society Research Group:

Restrictions on Civil Liberties, Views of Islam, & Muslim Americans: U.S. War on Terror, U.S.Foreign Policy, and Anti-Americanism

"In a study to determine how much the public fears terrorism, almost half of respondents polled nationally said they believe the U.S. government should -- in some way -- curtail civil liberties for Muslim Americans, according to a new survey released...by Cornell University."

LINK to the report (PDF-file)

U.S. War on Terror, U.S.Foreign Policy, and Anti-Americanism

"Seventy percent of respondents either strongly or somewhat favor the U.S. War on Terror."

LINK to that report. (PDF-file as well)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,167 • Replies: 61
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:53 am
All that in "the home of the brave" ...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 12:20 pm
That second study is pretty meaningless to me... I couldn't find where they define "War on Terrorism."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 12:24 pm
Might be those, who didn't know what it, is are among those mentioned 15%.
All the others seem to have at least an idea what the idea of that War might be.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:00 pm
What they should do is invent a computer chip to insert inside the brain of muslims living in usa. As soon as they have terrorism thoughts, it sends an alarm to the authorities. I don't think the civil liberterians will love it though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:06 am
Hmm, didn't the Nazis make such "medical tests" as well?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:15 am
australia wrote:
What they should do is invent a computer chip to insert inside the brain of muslims living in usa. As soon as they have terrorism thoughts, it sends an alarm to the authorities. I don't think the civil liberterians will love it though.

You need to cut down on your exposure to (name not included) or you will forever loose touch with reality. Mind machine interface is nowhere near sofisticated enough to realise this, and while regimes like North Korea continue to exist I'm glad it isn't.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:40 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Might be those, who didn't know what it, is are among those mentioned 15%.
All the others seem to have at least an idea what the idea of that War might be.

My point is that everyone but the terrorists is against terrorism. But by "War on Terror" do they mean invading Iraq? Or just Afghanistan? Or better police work to track down terrorists? "War on Terror" is a nice soundbite, but this administration uses it as an umbrella to cover a lot of sins.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:10 am
For me, war on terror = war on the terrorists and extreme militant groups
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:02 am
australia wrote:

Interesting.

So, which particular groups do you consider to be the 'extreme militant' ones?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:07 am
australia. You seem a reasonable oz poster with a hard on for Muslims.
Is this a personal vendetta or are you worried about Australia's immigration policies?
Or perhaps Australia is more racist than we imagined.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:07 am
australia wrote:

And what tactics do you support in this "war?"

Saying you want to end terrorism is like saying you want to end world hunger. OK, nice goal. No one likes to see or hear about starving babies; no one likes to see or hear about terrorist attacks. So what do you do and how far are you willing to go to accomplish your goal?
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
panzade, no not really personal vendetta. Just have practical experience in what terrorism can bring, so maybe my slant is a bit different to most peoples. But, what I have always said is that unless you experience it, you cannot really critisize people for having this feeling.

I will give an example. I really love the japanese culture and like japanese people, but someone else might hate them because their grandfather was tortured in the second world war. So even though I have nothing against the japanese, I can understand how someone like that would resent them. It is not logical but when it touches you personally then it is compleely different. Same applies to muslims, or the germans or any race really. Our opinions and thoughts are the result of our past experiences.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:28 pm
australia,

I presume you didn't deliberately ignore my question and so I will ask it once again.

You wrote:

Quote:
For me, war on terror = war on the terrorists and extreme militant groups.

and I wrote:

Quote:
Interesting.

So, which particular groups do you consider to be the 'extreme militant' ones?

Well, which groups, australia?
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:14 pm
Ones that provide suicide bombers and bomb buildings and cars with people in them. Or detonate small bombs to make as many young people run outside the hotels and bars they are at, and then bigger bombs detonate aiming to kill as many innocent 18-25 holiday makers as possible.

Sorry for not being enthused for the muslim religion as most of you guys. But, when you have personally been involved in a suicide bombing, write a post on the forum and tell me if you are still so tolerant. If you havn't been, well i am not interested in your opinion because you havn't been there. Sitting behind a computer in your safe little house posting tolerant left wing theories to save the world is fine, but in the real world it can be a little bit different.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:31 pm
australia wrote:
Ones that provide suicide bombers and bomb buildings and cars with people in them. Or detonate small bombs to make as many young people run outside the hotels and bars they are at, and then bigger bombs detonate aiming to kill as many innocent 18-25 holiday makers as possible.

Sorry for not being enthused for the muslim religion as most of you guys. But, when you have personally been involved in a suicide bombing, write a post on the forum and tell me if you are still so tolerant. If you havn't been, well i am not interested in your opinion because you havn't been there. Sitting behind a computer in your safe little house posting tolerant left wing theories to save the world is fine, but in the real world it can be a little bit different.

australia, a lot of the posts I have read in my short time here have made me unsure of what goes. As a newbie, I have already misunderstood a comment made on one of mine. Please understand that I meant exactly what I posted when asking 'which ones' before. There was no hidden agenda. We might have more in common that you think:

The Religion of Peace
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:36 am
ah okay. it is easy to misunderstand posts in this forum. i do it all the time.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:44 pm
australia wrote:

I will give an example. I really love the japanese culture and like japanese people, but someone else might hate them because their grandfather was tortured in the second world war. So even though I have nothing against the japanese, I can understand how someone like that would resent them. It is not logical but when it touches you personally then it is compleely different. Same applies to muslims, or the germans or any race really. Our opinions and thoughts are the result of our past experiences.

No, it's called hatred and bigotry, and it has no use for the furtherment of humanity. If you are a religious person, religion teaches you to forgive.

Anyone can spew out hatred, but only a true man can express tolerance. Furthermore, blaming an entire race and or religion for the actions of an extreme few shows an acute view of the world and a simple minded approach to problems. It's no wonder you are so gung-ho for Bush.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:58 am
Joe repub says - "No, it's called hatred and bigotry, and it has no use for the furtherment of humanity. If you are a religious person, religion teaches you to forgive.

Anyone can spew out hatred, but only a true man can express tolerance. Furthermore, blaming an entire race and or religion for the actions of an extreme few shows an acute view of the world and a simple minded approach to problems. It's no wonder you are so gung-ho for Bush. "

Tolerance ??

All I know is that so far, all the terrorists are Muslims. While not ALL Muslims are terrorists, I and most Americans, will keep an eye out for any "stange goings-on" by any Muslim.

That's not bigotry or hatred. It's called PROFILING and common sense.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:02 am
Internment in America

Immediately after Pearl Harbor, citizens all up and down the coast were terrified that they were about to be invaded. If the Japanese could reach Hawaii with no warning, wasn't Los Angeles next?

What followed was one of the most troubling events in American history.

Within days of Pearl Harbor, the FBI rounded up many Japanese, German, and Italian Americans on the West Coast. The U.S. government classified Japanese Americans as "enemy aliens." In 1942, President Roosevelt signed Executive Order #9066, allowing military authorities to set up restricted zones and remove "aliens" from those zones. Most American citizens who happened to have Japanese ancestry had 10 days to close up their businesses and homes. Over 100,000 were loaded on trains and buses and sent to assembly centers and then on to larger camps were built in "safe" rural areas of Arkansas, Arizona, Idaho, Utah, Colorado and Wyoming. Estimates of the value of property confiscated from Japanese Americans ran as high as $400 million.

America was building its own concentration camps at a time when the world was just becoming aware of the Nazi concentration camps in Europe.

http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe40s/media/life_1301.jpg
0 Replies