Clara Harris -Murder with "Sudden passion"

jjorge

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:33 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
Right that was in Houston but that is all I remember maybe edgarblythe will know. I do remember they did not allow her insanity defense. And that is Waco not wacco y'all.

In addition to the woman in Houston there is a woman in Garland just east of Dallas that killed her kids with a knife. I think she got life.

I thought it was Wacko, TX Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:36 pm
Jjorge, Wacko sounds good to me too. Very close to Crawford, TX, hmmmm.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:36 pm
so a poor mentally ill women with a full blown twinkie for a husband gets life and a pissed off dentist with a mercedes gets 20 years minus parole. Yeah makes sense to me!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:38 pm
Joanne, you refer to Darlie Routier.

She got the death penalty, though she has a strong advocacy group working on her behalf for a new trial:

fordarlieroutier.org
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:44 pm
Yes that she is the one PD.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:47 pm
Waco is connected to the self-immolation of David Koresh and his followers.

That actually took place in a small town near Waco named Mount Carmel.

Waco is the home of Baylor University and was also the site of Bush's economic summit last year.

Yes, Crawford is not far away either. All are in Central Texas, roughly between Dallas and Austin.

(Anybody want to get whipped in Trivial Pursuit?)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:52 pm
We already have been I think Shocked

Wait I just checked your profile you are in Houston. That is not fair you are probably a native. I am one of those who got here as soon as I could.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:02 pm
One of the attorneys in Harris' case said the defense made a mistake in using "accident" as a defense. A waste of the jurors time, said he. And, the lady was guilty of murdering her husband. Lake they are saying, she could have chosen divorce and lotsa money.

Yes, Texas is odd. There's lots of "odd" in Texas. Can't say that loud enough. But, I've read a couple interesting articles lately about how the colleges are changing their curriculum so's Texas graduates can get jobs somewhere except Texas.

Also, some Texas college students are trying to lose the accent. Again, so they can get jobs elsewhere.

Tex-Star
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:10 pm
I heard she has a chance for parole after 10. But at least they gave her the max time they could, under the circumstances.

Good for those who convicted and sentenced her.

But I heard that a lot of the public sentiment being expressed is that the sentence was way too harsh.

Go figure.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:18 pm
Now only of the President could learn to loose some of that Texas stuff when he is being President. Sheesh.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:19 pm
So we have all the Texas folks here now. Tex-Star, edgarblythe, snood, PDiddle, and me. Did I leave any Texas people out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:32 pm
Where is dyslexia from?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:40 am
Joanne, you a military spouse?
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 02:55 pm
I wish women's lib would get here as soon as it can.

I've lived in 4 states and have been a journalist, sold real estate. Recently the president of our P.O.A. board asked me, "Did you ask your husband about that?" Now, THAT is reason to kill a man, especially one that says two whole sentences without opening his mouth!

I don't quite understand our president's home in Crawford. Is it the one with ordinary hardy board siding, the cow fences just RIGHT THERE? Strange. Maybe there is a new white granite mansion behind there somewhere?

Tex-Star
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:48 pm
Hey, I'm enjoying this discussion (and the case in question), but I'm a Yankee by birth who now lives in the NW. Can I still contribute?

If so, I think Joanne's idea (I believe it was hers) that this case can make a TV movie is right on target. I see John Waters playing the brother-in-law, who testified on her behalf. Any other ideas?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 09:12 am
And here's 'next', from my hometown:

An eight-hour standoff that began with the shooting of a Houston police officer ended with a horrifying discovery early Saturday when detectives found six bodies, including those of three children, in a north Harris County home.

The man who lives at the home fatally shot his wife, three young daughters and a girlfriend before turning the gun on himself, sheriff's detectives said. Authorities believe the women and children had been dead since Monday, and the man stayed in the house with the bodies all week.

Houston Chronicle

Now, even though I am completely opposed to the death penalty, I must say that it is appropriate that this fellow administered his own punishment...
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 10:08 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Hey, I'm enjoying this discussion (and the case in question), but I'm a Yankee by birth who now lives in the NW....

Hi D'art
Have you ever heard this one?

To the world a Yankee is an American
To Americans a Yankee is a Northerner
To Northerners a Yankee is a New Englander
To a New Englander a Yankee is a Vermonter*
To a Vermonter a Yankee is someone who has apple pie for breakfast!

Which one are you?

* Vermont now has so many aging hippies, transplanted New Yorkers etc that this assertion is now disputable
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:52 am
Wasn't Yankee Doodle going to London? We lived in New England for 8 years and I never heard the word mentioned. They were "New Englanders."

Here in Texas my neice said of "northerners."
"They think a barbecue sandwich is a piece of meat between two pieces of bread with sauce on it."

You wouldn't BELIEVE what a "barbecue" is. A huge metal smoking, cooking apparatus (4'x6' maybe) and it is built into the front yard of the restaurant. Actually, though, a really nice one, and it's the best possible meat you have ever tasted in your life. Beef, pork, chicken. You choose the "chunk" you want, it's placed in wax paper, handed to you. That's it. You can get some beans, or slaw. County Line barbecue in Austin is excellent. The one in Llano? You can pretend you are a Viking.

Of course this is in the Texas Hill Country, between Austin and San Antonio. I never saw such restaurants in Dallas. Texas is a verrry big place. From one end (s) to another nobody knows what anyone else is doing.

Waco is a beautiful little city and people don't care if Koresch built something strange there. Neither was I afraid the Boston strangler would get me in Boston either. I would never visit Crawford because I KNOW that all you'll see is a ranch gate and a fence.

Tex-Star
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:58 am
Don't forget the chili cook-off at the Houston livestock and rodeo.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:59 am
Why lump all of the Northerners together?

New Englanders are a breed all their own, as are the citizens of the nothern part of the Midwest and West.

The Yankees were really the Brahmins hat settled the colonies of New England. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies