Clara Harris -Murder with "Sudden passion"

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:38 am
new haven; we're talking Texas here not Boston if she were driving a Caddy she would have been aquited. Wink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:23 am
Some darker shade of pigmentation: death penalty

Less than wealthy: death penalty

Act committed with a Ford extended cab pickup: innocent on all charges
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:06 pm
Haw, haw!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:07 pm
boom boom boom
haw haw haw
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm
On point PD money is everything in cirminal and civil courts.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:55 pm
It's so.... ironic (for lack of a better word), that this is the same state that can't put people to death fast enough.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:12 pm
Edgar

What a terrible story. That had to have been devastating to your family and that of the woman killed with your brother.

What I find totally inexplicable is that in the Clara Harris case the parents and a sibling of the murdered husband are testifying FOR HER and asking the jury* to sentence her to probation only!

Some family!

*apparently in the penalty phase of the trial the Texas jury imposes sentence rather than the judge
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:19 pm
New Haven wrote:
The wife will probably get probation. The women on the Jury will think the husband deserved to be run over by the Mercedes. Sad

I have heard that in Texas, "He needed Killin" is considered a legitimate defense.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:21 pm
What about if she had been an M.D. instead of a D.M.?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:22 pm
Yes, jjorge, that detail about family support for the perpetrator beggars belief. In every murder trial I can recall, the victim's family views the accused as evil incarnate, understandably so. But not in this case. Their belief, apparently, is that the couple really loved each other. Go figure...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:22 pm
"He needed killin">>

"Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned".
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:24 pm
I'm surprised that the Defense didn't claim the gas peddle got stuck! Confused
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:22 pm
This just in:

HOUSTON -- A jury sentenced Clara Harris to 20 years in prison Friday for mowing down her unfaithful husband with her Mercedes, rejecting defense arguments that she deserved no more than probation for her crime of "sudden passion."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:54 pm
snood
While it is generally as you say as regards Texas justice, there are notable examples where the result was different. This first link is about Clarence Brandley. He was railroaded and sentenced to death. His story is very dramatic, very interesting.
http://www.jewdonboney.com/brandleyhome.html
The second link is about a man who confessed to many murders, but was taken off death row by then Governor Bush.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/lucas010313.html
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:40 pm
But her sentence to 20 years did not say no parole and don't forget that Al Sharpton had to cancel in San Antonio today because of threats from the KKK.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:45 pm
Joanne: i cant remember the name of that lady last year in tejas that drowned her children (mentally ill)(way wacco husband) anyway do you remember the terms of her sentence?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:23 pm
Right that was in Houston but that is all I remember maybe edgarblythe will know. I do remember they did not allow her insanity defense. And that is Waco not wacco y'all.

In addition to the woman in Houston there is a woman in Garland just east of Dallas that killed her kids with a knife. I think she got life.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:28 pm
ok i was just curious as it was obvious that women was mentally ill and this Harris women was simply pissed.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:31 pm
Andrea Yates. Life, no possibility of parole for 40.

Houston Chronicle
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:33 pm
Great PD I meant you not edgarblythe. Here in Tejas they are calling it Murder By Mercedes I expect we will see a movie soon.
0 Replies