0

The German Election of Chancellor 2017

Lash

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 04:37 am
I don't know how an average news reader missed the fact that Merkel's seat is up for grabs next month. I guess my country's media is working overtime to fillet Donald Trump and can't be bothered with elections of global consequence.

(Before Walter steps in and points to American papers who may have given this story some coverage--if I haven't seen it, it simply wasn't enough)

So, my initial post is definitely from an American slant (also the first one I've seen about NEXT MONTH'S ELECTION). It seems our SD contender for Chancellor, Mr. Schulz, is running on a promise to remove American nukes from German soil. I suspect anyone with some negative plans against America in the current climate will add to their electoral chances.

Here's the story. Welcoming any additional articles, opinions, or insight.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1B310S

Lash

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 04:46 am
It appears Schulz came out with superior poll numbers when he announced, but his lead dwindled, and now Ms Merkel seems to enjoy a comfortable lead.

Maybe this is why it's not so much in the news...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/world/819680/German-election-2017-polls-Angela-Merkel-Martin-Schulz-latest-tracker-germany-odds/amp

Foofie

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 01:40 pm
@Lash,
In my opinion, the U.S. media not giving much time to the German election is not by pure happenstance. This country in some ways is very different than Germany. For example, their CEOs don't make a king's ransom, students early on are tracked to technical jobs rather than everyone "should go" to college, and they are very much trying to live in a Europe that doesn't exude respective national pride to excess (hubris). So, since the powers that be in the U.S. do not want the next generation to change our country that much, we do not, in my opinion, make Germany headline news. We give coverage to the British. Why? Have you ever heard of WASP America? And, after two 20th century world wars, where Germany was on the opposing side from us, German-Americans might just be looking to their German culture of hard work and industriousness as to what makes them excel as Americans; Germany and the rest of Europe are doing as well as can be expected for each demographic's capabilities, in my opinion.

We even give coverage to little Israel. Certainly not because Jews are a smallish community in the U.S., but Evangelicals are tens of millions strong, with their bible prophecy beliefs, in my opinion. And, they vote.

Lash

1  
Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:41 am
Merkel's immigration stance didn't remove her, but lost her a little ground.

Enter AfD

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/nationalist-partys-strong-showing-highlights-german-immigration-worries-1506340311

By Anton Troianovski
Sept. 25, 2017 7:51 a.m. ET
BERLIN—The nationalist Alternative for Germany made deep inroads in the traditional strongholds of the country’s establishment parties, detailed data released on Monday showed, underscoring the extent of voter unease with immigration across Germany.

The party’s broad success, garnering nearly 13% of the overall vote, highlights the challenge for the German political mainstream...

Foofie

1  
Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2017 02:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don't know how an average news reader missed the fact that Merkel's seat is up for grabs next month. I guess my country's media is working overtime to fillet Donald Trump and can't be bothered with elections of global consequence...

I offer the thought that the media is fully aware of what's going on in Europe, and whatever is possibly coming down the proverbial pike might not be what we today want to get involved in, so by ignoring Europe's elections, Americans won't be all upset when things occur. Maybe Europe needs to be more autonomous against any perceived threats, and stop looking to the U.S. as the perennial Daddy Warbucks. Just a thought.

Walter Hinteler

2  
Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:33 am
@Lash,
We had the federal elections here last Sunday, decided with our votes (we have two) how the 19th German Bundestag (lower chamber of the parliament) would be composed.

The next Chancellor will be elected by said Bundestag.

Translated from our "Grundgesetz ("Basic Law"/Constitution)
Article 39
[Electoral term – Convening]
(2) The Bundestag shall convene no later than the thirtieth day after the elections.

That is October 24 as latest.

Article 63
[Election of the Federal Chancellor]
(1) The Federal Chancellor shall be elected by the Bundestag without debate on the proposal of the Federal President.

Article 69
[Deputy Federal Chancellor – Term of office]
(3) At the request of the Federal President the Federal Chancellor, or at the request of the Federal Chancellor or of the Federal President a Federal Minister, shall be obliged to continue to manage the affairs of his office until a successor is appointed.
Lash

1  
Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 03:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter.

Were you surprised at the AfD's showing or did you see it coming?

I suppose congratulations are in order; Merkel seems like a comparatively stable leader.
Walter Hinteler

2  
Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 03:39 am
@Lash,
I've expected a rise of this extreme right-wing party (hoped for not, of course).

Actually, I don't think that Merkel is a strong leader in her party - but I don't really about her position.
If the four parties are able to form a coalition, at least the Alliance 90/The Greens could give some "progressive" aspects in the new government (which will be led by Merkel as Chancellor, I suppose).