The German Election of Chancellor 2017

Lash

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 04:37 am
I don't know how an average news reader missed the fact that Merkel's seat is up for grabs next month. I guess my country's media is working overtime to fillet Donald Trump and can't be bothered with elections of global consequence.

(Before Walter steps in and points to American papers who may have given this story some coverage--if I haven't seen it, it simply wasn't enough)

So, my initial post is definitely from an American slant (also the first one I've seen about NEXT MONTH'S ELECTION). It seems our SD contender for Chancellor, Mr. Schulz, is running on a promise to remove American nukes from German soil. I suspect anyone with some negative plans against America in the current climate will add to their electoral chances.

Here's the story. Welcoming any additional articles, opinions, or insight.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1B310S

Lash

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 04:46 am
It appears Schulz came out with superior poll numbers when he announced, but his lead dwindled, and now Ms Merkel seems to enjoy a comfortable lead.

Maybe this is why it's not so much in the news...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/world/819680/German-election-2017-polls-Angela-Merkel-Martin-Schulz-latest-tracker-germany-odds/amp
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 01:40 pm
@Lash,
In my opinion, the U.S. media not giving much time to the German election is not by pure happenstance. This country in some ways is very different than Germany. For example, their CEOs don't make a king's ransom, students early on are tracked to technical jobs rather than everyone "should go" to college, and they are very much trying to live in a Europe that doesn't exude respective national pride to excess (hubris). So, since the powers that be in the U.S. do not want the next generation to change our country that much, we do not, in my opinion, make Germany headline news. We give coverage to the British. Why? Have you ever heard of WASP America? And, after two 20th century world wars, where Germany was on the opposing side from us, German-Americans might just be looking to their German culture of hard work and industriousness as to what makes them excel as Americans; Germany and the rest of Europe are doing as well as can be expected for each demographic's capabilities, in my opinion.

We even give coverage to little Israel. Certainly not because Jews are a smallish community in the U.S., but Evangelicals are tens of millions strong, with their bible prophecy beliefs, in my opinion. And, they vote.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:41 am
Merkel's immigration stance didn't remove her, but lost her a little ground.

Enter AfD

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/nationalist-partys-strong-showing-highlights-german-immigration-worries-1506340311

By Anton Troianovski
Sept. 25, 2017 7:51 a.m. ET
BERLIN—The nationalist Alternative for Germany made deep inroads in the traditional strongholds of the country’s establishment parties, detailed data released on Monday showed, underscoring the extent of voter unease with immigration across Germany.

The party’s broad success, garnering nearly 13% of the overall vote, highlights the challenge for the German political mainstream...

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2017 02:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don't know how an average news reader missed the fact that Merkel's seat is up for grabs next month. I guess my country's media is working overtime to fillet Donald Trump and can't be bothered with elections of global consequence...

I offer the thought that the media is fully aware of what's going on in Europe, and whatever is possibly coming down the proverbial pike might not be what we today want to get involved in, so by ignoring Europe's elections, Americans won't be all upset when things occur. Maybe Europe needs to be more autonomous against any perceived threats, and stop looking to the U.S. as the perennial Daddy Warbucks. Just a thought.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:33 am
@Lash,
We had the federal elections here last Sunday, decided with our votes (we have two) how the 19th German Bundestag (lower chamber of the parliament) would be composed.

The next Chancellor will be elected by said Bundestag.

Translated from our "Grundgesetz ("Basic Law"/Constitution)
Quote:
Article 39
[Electoral term – Convening]
(2) The Bundestag shall convene no later than the thirtieth day after the elections.

That is October 24 as latest.

Quote:
Article 63
[Election of the Federal Chancellor]
(1) The Federal Chancellor shall be elected by the Bundestag without debate on the proposal of the Federal President.

Quote:
Article 69
[Deputy Federal Chancellor – Term of office]
(3) At the request of the Federal President the Federal Chancellor, or at the request of the Federal Chancellor or of the Federal President a Federal Minister, shall be obliged to continue to manage the affairs of his office until a successor is appointed.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 03:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter.

Were you surprised at the AfD's showing or did you see it coming?

I suppose congratulations are in order; Merkel seems like a comparatively stable leader.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2017 03:39 am
@Lash,
I've expected a rise of this extreme right-wing party (hoped for not, of course).

Actually, I don't think that Merkel is a strong leader in her party - but I don't really about her position.
If the four parties are able to form a coalition, at least the Alliance 90/The Greens could give some "progressive" aspects in the new government (which will be led by Merkel as Chancellor, I suppose).
0 Replies

PoshSpice

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2023 01:28 pm
I don’t see a thread on German Politics, but I think we should have one.

I’m reading that the Chancellor has announced some type of emergency related to the US refusing to fork over more billions to Ukraine.

Someone, get that man his own fork.
PoshSpice

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2023 01:35 pm
I’ll just put this here for now.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-coalition-faces-difficult-choices-after-budget-hammerblow-2023-11-16/

Excerpt:

BERLIN, Nov 16 (Reuters) - Germany's ruling coalition on Thursday was scrambling to fix a large hole in its finances after a court ruling blocked the government from transferring unused emergency funds from the pandemic towards green initiatives and industry support.

The decision by the constitutional court on Wednesday to wipe 60 billion euros ($65 billion) from the budget has prompted the government to postpone the formal vote of the budget committee until next week after an extraordinary meeting to be held on Tuesday.

Balance of article at the link.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2023 01:55 pm
@PoshSpice,
PoshSpice wrote:
I’m reading that the Chancellor has announced some type of emergency related to the US refusing to fork over more billions to Ukraine.
Quote:
Emergency money

The coalition wants to keep this option on the table, for example for financing reconstruction efforts in the Ahr Valley, which was devastating by floods in 2021.

"The constitution expressly stipulates that credit ceilings can be raised to deal with natural disasters and extraordinary emergencies," said Chancellor Olaf Scholz. Next year, €2.7 billion in flood aid will be financed through loans.

Authorities expect uncertainties and potential emergencies in connection with Ukraine. So far, €8 billion has been earmarked for direct aid in 2024, to be paid though the regular budget. But what would happen if the US — Ukraine's biggest financier — were to cease supporting the embattled country?

Speaking at a SPD party conference, Chancellor Scholz said a "major" financial challenge would arise "when others struggle." He said Germany would have to reach decisions to be able to handle such a situation. By this, he was referring to suspending the debt brake — a move the liberal FDP opposes.

FDP Finance Minister Christian Lindner appears, however, to have relented over Ukraine, saying that "if the situation changes and the international community reaches joint decisions, we are fully capable of acting, including when options provided by the federal budget are exceeded."
dw
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2023 03:08 pm
@PoshSpice,
PoshSpice wrote:

I don’t see a thread on German Politics, but I think we should have one.

Someone, get that man his own fork.

What a great idea, in Germany the Holocaust is required part of education. In Florida and a few of the other anti-American states we won't teach about slavery (because it might hurt white children's feelings). I think the US could learn a lot about history and human rights by following Germany.

P.S. We shouldn't follow Hungary, it's getting a tad fascist and authoritarian over there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2023 03:41 pm
I dragged my old laptop from under the couch because I can't put together an organized response on gun ownership with the plodding index-finger pecking I have to do on my phone.

I didn't think I could access A2K on this thing--and I was amazed that all I had to do was request a new password for the Lash account. My phone didn't offer me that option. I suffered great sturm and drang finagling the Posh account. Woe is me.

I disabled the Posh account.

All this happened because--I wanted to give a decent accounting of my opinion about gun ownership, and the evidence that led to my opinion. It won't be in one post, or on one day. I'm not angry. I'm not even trying to change other people's opinions. But, my opinion is valid--and supported by a lot of evidence.

Rather than finding a narrative that fits my opinion, so that other people can find narratives that fit theirs, I'm going to bring facts about many perpetrators of gun violence.

I intend to show that MANY TIMES if not always, untreated or ill-treated mental illness plays a big role in mass murders involving gun violence. Parental negligence and societal rejection are also frequent contributing factors.

The first person I'll discuss is Adam Lanza.
He was the perpetrator of the school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

In time, someone may want to listen to a PhD. in Counselor Education and Supervision detail information from school notes and documented events in Lanza's life. This man is Dr. Todd Grande
https://youtu.be/86vgdtl1SPc?si=VHkXej4UrS2WVHwQ

Adam had a serious constellation of mental health diagnoses and a mother who contributed to his illnesses, who was an irresponsible gun owner, and an irresponsible parent. She made a series of bad decisions that seemed to clear the pathway for her son's rampage and fate.

Adam Lanza was not a legal or responsible gun owner.
He was grossly irresponsibly parented.
He was significantly mentally ill and not receiving treatment.

Signs that should have been noted and acted on--that would have prevented the shooting:

1. He embodied major classic signs of someone who may act out in violence--multiple social mental health Dx, a loner, isolated from society, sometimes isolating from his only human contact (his mother).

2. Diagnoses of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) [with co-morbidities anxiety and depression which together are overrepresented in people who commit mass murders.] It might not purely be the diagnosis, the having of ASD, but the harsh treatment many of these people with ASD suffer socially...

3. Writings at school of shooters.

4. Serious concerns written by a seventh grade teacher that should have been investigated. His writings were "characterized by destruction with a disturbing level of violence." "Not normal."

5. Adam was fascinated by mass murder and violence. Obsessed with Columbine...

6. Like many mass murderers, he developed a pronounced hatred of women prior to his murder spree.

7. He began to refuse his mother entry into his room.

Guys, I'm sorry. I don't know if switching back to Lash has tripped some alarm or if the Fascism thread is locked? I'm sorry for dumping this here. It has not been a good technology season for me. I just didn't want to lose my work.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 09:58 am
Walter, is Germany sending troops to Lebanon?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 11:23 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Why?

(In its decision of 12 July 1994, the Federal Constitutional Court ruled that deployments abroad of the German armed forces are permissible under the Basic Law in certain circumstances, but that the consent of Parliament is required for every such mission and that this consent should, in principle, be given in advance.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 11:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lash wrote:
Why?
That was either a provocative trick question or you want to start a new conspiracy theory.

Another possibility would be that you got Lebanon and Lithuania wrong. But there are many things that speak against this: the distance between the two countries, the fact that Lithuania is an EU AND NATO country, and ... and ...

The only German military in Beirut have diplomatic status, German Military Attaché Colonan Heino Matzken (from his military vita: German-French Brigade, in the French Ministry of Defence, at the NATO Head Quarters in Belgium and as defence attaché in Belgium and in Lebanon as well as three operational deployments to Afghanistan, Kosovo and Bosnia) plus less than a handful of non-commissioned officers.

Heino Matzken published some books and dozens of articles about the Middle East, see his personal website.
Lash

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 02:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
LOL. A little tightly wound, Walter.

There's an article making the rounds on Twitter saying that Germany is sending troops to Lebanon-- and asking you was one method of finding the answer--I madly assumed.

Sheesh.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 02:59 pm
@Lash,
It is legally and factually impossible to station German troops abroad without this being publicised in parliament or "whistled" to some informational sources.

However, I did some more research: my member of the Bundestag is chairman of the relevant parliamentary committee, we are both party comrades and both have a similar military background:
No, since impossible.

Holy mackerel: had anyone on those rounds on X formerly known as twitter noticed how long it took/takes to send German abroad even within a UN and/or EU-mandate?
And it certainly would have been known, if Lebanon asked for German troops.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2024 03:02 pm
@Lash,
https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/report-israel-suggests-german-forces-on-lebanon-border/ar-AA1mCNUA

Report: Israel suggests German forces on Lebanon border
Story by Naharnet Newsdesk •

10h

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock will carry to Lebanon an Israeli proposal calling for the deployment of German forces on the Lebanese side of the border with Israel, Lebanese sources said.

“Israel is demanding the deployment of German forces with military powers on the border with Lebanon,” the sources told Sky News Arabia.

The Lebanese side, however, has rejected the Israeli proposal, the sources added.

Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2024 11:40 am
Since this is thread about the past election, it seems therefore appropriate to talk about the upcoming federal election.

And about the Alternative for Germany (AfD), because the AfD currently has 22.9% in the latest polling trend for the Bundestag elections.

Politicians from Germany’s AfD met extremist group to discuss deportation ‘masterplan’
Quote:
Politicians from Germany’s far-right Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) party, including a personal aide to its leader Alice Weidel, met the head of the rightwing extremist Identitarian Movement and neo-Nazi activists to discuss a “masterplan” for mass deportations in the event of the party coming to power, it has been reported.

The meeting, which was first reported on Wednesday by the investigative outlet Correctiv, took place last November at a countryside hotel on the outskirts of Potsdam. It is likely to feed a fraught debate over whether the AfD should be banned due to growing concerns that it poses a fundamental threat to German democracy.

Buoyed up by discontent over immigration, the AfD is polling in first place in all five of Germany’s eastern states, three of which are holding elections later this year. While both the conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and the liberal, pro-business Free Democratic party (FDP) have, for now, ruled out entering coalitions with the party, its presence at the meeting suggests a far-right organisation with its eye on political gains in the near future.

Invitations seen by Correctiv and the Guardian describe the meeting as an opportunity to present “an overall concept in the sense of a masterplan”. The meeting was attended not only by two state and municipal-level AfD politicians but also one active member of the Bundestag, Gerrit Huy, as well as Roland Hartwig, a former MP who has acted as a personal aide to Weidel since September 2022. One party branch of the AfD’s has described Hartwig as being tasked with the party’s “strategic positioning”.

The AfD figures were meeting with Martin Sellner, who was tasked with introducing the “masterplan” and is a key figure in the pan-European “New Right” and who, in 2019, was permanently barred from entering the UK because of his extremist views. The Identitarian Movement, whose Austrian branch Sellner used to lead, openly opposes the idea of multicultural societies and expounds the conspiracy theory of a “great replacement” to replace Europe’s white population with people from Africa and the Middle East.

The Identitarian Movement is on a list of organisations whose membership the AfD considers incompatible with party membership, and the party has denied ties to the movement in the past. However, in recent years the AfD has done little to distance itself from the activist network.

One key idea that Sellner has been trying to nudge into the political mainstream is “re-migration”: the forceful return of migrants to their countries of origin via mass deportations. Such deportations would target not only asylum seekers but, as Sellner elaborated in a recent article for the New Right journal Sezession, also citizens holding German passports who, he claims, “form aggressive, rapidly growing parallel societies”.

According to Correctiv’s account, the explosive subject of “re-migration” apparently dominated the discussions between AfD politicians and rightwing extremist activists, with Sellner allegedly presenting the forcible extradition of “non-assimilated” German citizens as the biggest “challenge” if the AfD were to gain power.

deas discussed at the meeting, according to Correctiv, included that of deportations to an unnamed state in northern Africa that would provide space for up to 2 million people. People who lobby on behalf of refugees in Germany could also go there, Sellner is reported to have suggested.

... ... ...
0 Replies