Who is your favorite Physicist?

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 03:31 am
I personally always enjoy reading the works of Richard Feynman others spark my interest although I think he has done a great amount of very intriguing as well as Brilliant work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 20,972 • Replies: 708
Topic Closed

View best answer, chosen by MKABRSTI
rosborne979

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 04:52 am
@MKABRSTI,
Feynman is a good choice. Lawrence Krause is also fun to listen to.
layman

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 05:01 am
@MKABRSTI,
Although more of a jack-of-all trades than a physicist, per se, Isaac Asimov is brilliant, entertaining, and well-educated, and has written some interesting "for the layman" books on physics.

I agree with Feynman, though.

It sure aint Hawkings.
MKABRSTI

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 05:14 am
@rosborne979,
I think I've come across some things about Lawrence in a couple books can't remember off the top of my head exactly what but the name sounds very familiar I just looked him up & I'm definitely going look more into his studies. Thanks for your answer.
0 Replies

MKABRSTI

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 05:20 am
@layman,
I just yahoooed Issac going to look more into his works for sure, never even heard of him before, Interesting guy for sure from what I saw I did know a couple people who went to Boston University when I lived in that area.

I agree with your aspect on Hawkings, theoretically I've came to the conclusion in the past few months that it is very probable that Hawkings is a puppet.

Thanks for the input.
centrox

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:04 am
@MKABRSTI,
MKABRSTI wrote:
I agree with your aspect on Hawkings, theoretically I've came to the conclusion in the past few months that it is very probable that Hawkings is a puppet.

You are qualified to judge the former Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University? Please explain how that is. Also, how, if you are, you can't spell his name.

centrox

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 11:32 am
Isn't judging a physicist on their prose style in popular-science writing a bit like judging a chemist on their skill at hockey?

centrox

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 12:04 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
It sure aint Hawkings.

Who is that?
centrox

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 01:52 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
Isn't judging a physicist on their prose style in popular-science writing a bit like judging a chemist on their skill at hockey?

However, if I were asked to do so, I might put forward George Gamow. Also, although some of what he wrote goes right over my head, enough doesn't to make David Bohm a candidate.
maxdancona

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 03:07 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

The question is "who is your favorite?". That means I can judge by whatever criteria I like. There are very few people here who can judge any Physicist since Newton on the Physics they actually did. How many people have read any Physics papers from anyone on this list?

I have to go with Feynman. Not only did he do great work in Physics (I have read papers he wrote), he was also a great prose writer, an advocate for science, and a superb teacher.
ossobucotemp

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 03:24 pm
An old boyfriend.
Live with it..
maxdancona

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 03:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Don't tell me you dated Feynman Wink
ossobucotemp

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 05:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Nah, but he was pretty smart.. and took me to hear great music. I've noticed people who get physics also get music, by and large.
layman

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 06:00 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

layman wrote:
It sure aint Hawkings.

Who is that?

My bad. I meant Steve Hawkingson, some spastic physicist that maybe you haven't heard of.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Thu 20 Jul, 2017 06:58 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Einstein said that if he hadn't been a physicist he would have been a musician. He said he Daydreams in music and reflects on his life in music.
At any rate, I think Einstein was a well-balanced person, and the world may have missed out on who could have been a great composer.
0 Replies

fresco

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 02:03 am
My favoruite is Niels Bohr. Not only did he appreciate the inextricability of 'observer and observed', but we may be able to account for much of his creative rationality on his interest in poetic language.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 07:25 am
I also like Neil DeGrasse Tyson. He has taken an important role in bridging the gap between real science and the public. And he has done so without dumbing down the science.

He is scientifically brilliant, personable, and he is a good at explaining complicated topics in a way that is both meaningful and accurate.
layman
  Selected Answer

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 01:53 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I also like Neil DeGrasse Tyson. He has taken an important role in bridging the gap between real science and the public. And he has done so without dumbing down the science.

He is scientifically brilliant, personable, and he is a good at explaining complicated topics in a way that is both meaningful and accurate.

In the vein of Carl Sagan, eh? Isaac Asimov, who I mentioned before, was, for many years, the head of MENSA. He came to dislike the outfit and eventually quit, saying they were all "brain-proud."

But that's not to say he wasn't aware of his own extraordinary IQ. Surprisingly (to me), he said Sagan was one of a very few people that he thought was smarter than he was.
0 Replies

MKABRSTI

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 02:38 pm
@centrox,
You are qualified to interrogate people who ask simple questions of opinion? Please explain how that is.
centrox

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 04:31 pm
@MKABRSTI,
MKABRSTI wrote:
You are qualified to interrogate people who ask simple questions of opinion? Please explain how that is.

You declared that Hawking was a "puppet". I am curious to know why. If you cannot say why, you were just talking out of your ass.