Who is your favorite Physicist?

centrox

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:30 am
@MKABRSTI,
MKABRSTI wrote:

Damn You must be quite the busy person. I mean I'm busy as hell in my day to day life but I usually bang a book out in a day or two.

You are just being a stupid troll. Shut up.

MKABRSTI

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 11:23 am
@centrox,
Or I may conclude that you're at such a low reading level that a 1st grader I'd imagine could outshine your Intellect come on now if it takes you 6 weeks to read a book yet you say I'm a troll for reading one in a day or two? Jealous?! I mean wait was this book 5,000 pages? If it's a 5,000 pager or more than that I can understand it taking 6 weeks to read.
0 Replies

VirginiaGaston

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:31 am
@MKABRSTI,
Nikola Tesla
MKABRSTI

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:11 pm
@VirginiaGaston,
He's my second favorite :-)
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 09:40 pm
@VirginiaGaston,
VirginiaGaston wrote:

Nikola Tesla

Do you mean the real Tesla, or the mythical Tesla? People have turned Tesla into a fictional character who is more wizard than scientist. The real Tesla couldn't break basic laws of Physics, but he was very innovative and had an interesting mind.
centrox

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 12:25 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
People have turned Tesla into a fictional character who is more wizard than scientist.

A clever engineer but wrong about transmitting bulk energy wirelessly. He blew his own and a lot of other people's money on the Wardenclyffe thing. Some crazy people believe Tunguska was an effect of his experiments.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 12:29 am
Gallileo Gallilei. Brilliant and courageous.
layman

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 12:59 am
@Olivier5,
Without Galileo there would have been no principia from Newton.

As Newton himself admitted: "If I have managed to see further than others, it's only because I stood on the shoulders of giants."
Olivier5

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 08:12 am
@layman,
Ok, no double l...

Indeed, Newton built on Galileo's work on mecanics. Galileo also made the first astronomic telescope of useful power and image quality, and discovered the moons of Jupiter with it, which put a big nail in the earth-centric system's coffin. He famously and courageously defended the Copernic system. Plus many other contributions. A true renaissance man.
maxdancona

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 08:38 am
@Olivier5,
Galileo took an important step in the struggle of evidence based science to free itself from the confines of philosophy. And Galileo paid the price and should be respected for that. When he said "But it moves..." he was pushing back against the powerful philosophical orthodoxy of his time.

It was Newton who put the nail in the coffin of the Aristotelian philosophy. Finally experiment and observation transcended philosophical conjecture. The Philosophy of Aristotle held Physics back for more than a thousand years until Newton was able to show without question that science was far better at making useful, testable, observations about nature.

Modern physics owes a great debt to both of these men.
Susmariosep

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:20 pm
Okay, dear readers here, I am now into one of the just now popular posts here in a2k:
Quote:
Who is your favorite Physicist?
Forums: Science, Physics
Question by MKABRSTI
Posted 07/20/17 3:31 AM
Replies: 49
Views: 914
Last Post by maxdancona
on 07/26/17 8:38 AM NEW

And my purpose is to contribute some thought to it as to incentivate anyone already interacting here with fellow colleagues of a2k, like myself, to talk with me, in the hope that we will both learn something useful to us both, and everyone here.

For I am a bit frustrated* that I don’t find anyone disposed to talk further with me for the last already three days, on the threads where I used to meet a lot of them writing to interact with me, almost all of them atheists.

And I learn again that atheists are always into evasiveness and ultimately ‘running’ away when they find themselves speechless: because they do not think at all, and wherefore they ultimately when they have regurgitated all their slogans and clichés, they turn to flippancies and other irrelevancies. and also even uncivilities.

And they finally go away, to again turn up somewhere in which they will again contribute nothing but evasive and empty messages, all in order to not get themselves facing what is part of the truths, the facts, the logic, and the best thoughts of mankind from since the dawn of man’s conscious intelligence.

*Annex
Quote:
[My message in for example three threads where I used to meet some good traffic, but now I have not met anyone in the last 72 hours to date and time.]

Dear readers here, you know what?

You visit this thread where I am interested in but don't meet anyone at all after 24 hours, i.e. anyone who wanted to exchange thoughts with me.

And neither you have contributed any post to it.

Why then did you at all view this thread (I am not its author, though)?

You are looking for something of course, but you do not find it in my post, which will motivate you to write as to contact me for me to react to you.

This thread is intended by its author, one xxxxxxxx, to get people to talk with him on what is good and bad, but he himself is not monitoring his own thread at all.

So, I ask you everyone who know me to be in existence here in a2k: Next time please tell me what you want to read at all, and perhaps we can get to exchange thoughts, and we both learn something useful to us both.

What do you say about that?

Okay, dear readers here, let us all sit back and await with bated breath to witness, if at all anyone turn up in this thread to interact with me, me now the last poster to have contributed a post to it.

0 Replies

Susmariosep

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Dear Max, glad to see you here, but let me tell you what, you are again into one of your incursions from where you will run away, when the conversation gets you into a corner where you have to do genuine thinking, instead of regurgitating your charge, that your corresponding posters are into magic and magical ideas.

See the texts in bold from me that are parts of your last message here, it is the evidence of your regular penchant in your posts.

Quote:
From Max:

@Olivier5,
Galileo took an important step in the struggle of evidence based science to free itself from the confines of philosophy. And Galileo paid the price and should be respected for that. When he said "But it moves..." he was pushing back against the powerful philosophical orthodoxy of his time.

It was Newton who put the nail in the coffin of the Aristotelian philosophy. Finally experiment and observation transcended philosophical conjecture. The Philosophy of Aristotle held Physics back for more than a thousand years until Newton was able to show without question that science was far better at making useful, testable, observations about nature.

0 Replies

There, dear Max, essentially you are telling mankind that anyone who is not like you are into magic and magical thoughts.

Tell me, Max, what is the first ever pre-requisite for humans to engage rationally and productively in conversation among themselves?

Dear readers here, Max will run away, because he cannot even think at all into the idea that:

"The default status of things in the totality of reality is existence."

Okay, dear readers here, let us sit back and awaith with bated breath to witness what Max will do when if ever he writes to continue in this thread, and also Oh ye atheists here.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:03 pm
@maxdancona,
It was a series of men who did the big copernician revolution. Newton came late in that game. His contribution was more theoretical, in formalising Galileo's mechanics and of course his theory of gravity.
maxdancona

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:19 pm
@Olivier5,
I always give Newton the credit for inertia (which Aristotle got completely wrong), but I guess it was Galileo who deserves the credit for that. You are right that Newton formalized it in his laws of motion.

It was Newton who found that the same gravity, the force acting on an object when he dropped a rock on Earth also explained the motion of the Moon and planets. That was a pretty amazing leap.

maxdancona

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Of course the experimental proof of Newton's understanding that gravity explained the motion of orbiting bodies came in the 1700s. A farmer just out side of Boston read Newton's explanation that a cannonball shot horizontally with the Earth could go all the way around the world to come back where it started. He built a large cannon, and being a farmer he had an excess of livestock so he loaded it with a cow. The cow went kicking and mooing over the horizon, so he loaded another... a total of 20. Sure enough, Newton was right; 82 minutes later the cows came back, still mooing, from the opposite direction.

You may have read about this in your high school history book; it was the herd shot 'round the world.
rosborne979

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 04:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Nice Smile
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 05:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Dear Max, you are still into avoiding the fact that up to the present philosophy which you conflate with magic and magical thinking, it is still the highest quest in the hierarchy of man's endeavors to know objective reality.

So, unless a scholar factor in philosophy into his science whatever, he is still without any head nor tail in his science.

And you should do the same.

And no amount of name-dropping and technical-terms-dropping makes you into any genuine thinker at all, you are still into arrogating to yourself the limelight of established scientists, who are into something serious because they have a philosophy backing up their science.

You see, no amount of socalled scientific investigation into things is worth any cognitive value, unless the investigator rests on the truth and the fact and the logic and the best thought of mankind, from since the dawn of man's conscious intelligence, that, namely:

"The default status of things in the totality of reality is existence."

Think about that, and stop with regurgitating media repeated popular tales of famous scientists, as though you know anything at all of genuine science from genuine scientists.

Dear readers, let us sit back and await with bated breath to witness what kind of flight Max will take to now, retreating most certainly this time to the company of goats and donkeys - no offense of course to goats and donkeys, these worthy creatures in the service of mankind.

I challenge you, dear Max, tell readers and me what you know to be the concept of philosophy, and what you know to be the concept of science, in concise, precise, simple, clear words.

And give four examples of each.

He will run away, I dare tell you, Oh readers here.

Honestly, dear readers here, I truly want to have a serious exchange with Max and all kinds of internet atheists, but they are always into flight by evasiveness and the cult of Acquired Intelligence Deficiency Syndrome.

Tell you what, dear Max, give us something from your very own personal thinking that is beyond rebutting from me, then I will thank you sincerely that you have expanded my knowledge of objective reality.

Annex
Quote:
From Susmariosep:
@maxdancona,
Dear Max, glad to see you here, but let me tell you what, you are again into one of your incursions from where you will run away, when the conversation gets you into a corner where you have to do genuine thinking, instead of regurgitating your charge, that your corresponding posters are into magic and magical ideas.

See the texts in bold from me that are parts of your last message here, it is the evidence of your regular penchant in your posts.
Quote:
From Max:
@Olivier5,

maxdancona

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 05:37 pm
@Susmariosep,
Sus,

We are all ignoring you. It isn't because of what you say... although most of us don't think your arguments are very deep. But that isn't a sin in and of itself as long as you say something a little interesting.

We are ignoring you because you have systematically insulted every single person who has responded to you. You haven't even attempted a real discussion, you state your ideas as if they are God's truth... and then attack the intelligence of anyone who responds.

You are alienating every person on this site. That's why people have stopped interacting with you. You can be a part of interesting conversations if you choose, but you are going to have to treat people a little better and accept the fact that your word isn't truth.
roger

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 05:42 pm
@maxdancona,
And I think it was very thoughtful of you to take her off ignore long enough to explain all this.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 08:00 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Feynman is a good choice. Lawrence Krause is also fun to listen to.

Krauss??? Krauss is one of the dumbest around, had a superior intelligence come down to earth to judge it, I would put my head on a stick for this being factual...

...as for Feynman I was long long ago infatuated with his natural curiosity and bluntness, I saw a bunch of the famous Feynman lectures, but well, Feynman was always a farm boy...a one trick pony.

Picking a good one is hard, not Hawkings to much hot air, not Bryan Green the Meta-physician, never Michio the media click bait, Krauss is a walking joke who fails at language...some of the Nobels are as squares as a brick, all calculators...

The good ones:
Einstein has a place for astounding creativity and a balanced mind.
Newton because he was a Colossus maybe one of the best if not the best.
Galileo because he did it all...

...putting one at the top is almost irresponsible!