Who is your favorite Physicist?

Olivier5

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:11 am
@maxdancona,
Still, newtonian gravity can be seen as a late form of magic thinking, with its relience on action at a distance. The view that Newton is the first true rational scientist is a fabrication, a myth. Many of his predecessors were just as rational as he was, and he was just as magically-inclined as anybody else.

Also, I haven't read Aristotle but I doubt he deserves the bad rap he often gets. Seems like a briliant mind to me, from a distance.

What passes for science history is more often than not a form of hagiography: a story of saints and demons. But real life scientists are neither saints nor demons.
rosborne979

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 04:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I can see that you are a secret admirer of Krauss, but if you don't want to admit it, then how about James Clerk Maxwell? Second Great Unification and all that?
maxdancona

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 08:39 am
@Olivier5,
First of all, every historical narrative has its saints and demons as defined by the teller. Any telling of the history of science isn't science.

That being said, I think Newton's work applying his laws of motion to moons and planets was a pretty important step for Physics. But I wasn't trying to canonize him.

Newtonian gravity is not an example of "magical thinking". Quite the opposite, it is a well defined concept backed by experiment and observation. Newton defined gravity mathematically; F = G(m1*m2)/r^2. He didn't claim to understand where G came from, or where the force came from. He did show, through observation, that this could explain both falling rocks on Earth and the motion of celestial bodies (to the level of accuracy available at the time).

This is an example of science, not magic.

On the other hand, Aristotle is used as an example of unscientific thinking in his ideas on mechanics. Maybe he is being demonized more than is warranted... the problem is that his ideas permeated Western Culture up until the time of Galileo. It is not his fault that he was unduly canonized. But the writings of Aristotle are seen by many modern scientists as having held back science for centuries.

Of course Newton wasn't perfect; I think his most egregious oversight was his views on time. He viewed time as absolute and unchanging, a belief that (mostly) persisted until Einstein.

You use the term "rational", a concept that I don't think is relevant. There are many philosophies that are based on reason (including Aristotle). Science is based on experiment and observation.

Reason is important in science, but if the end result of reason is not backed by experiment or observation then it is discarded no matter how rational it is. And, in modern physics we have had to accept some results that are irrational (including some QM principles that are key for the operation of the semiconductors you are now using to read this message).

This is perhaps the biggest difference between philosophy and science.

coluber2001

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 08:45 am
Freeman Dyson thought quite a bit of Einstein.

"For many scientists less divinely gifted than Einstein, the chief reward for being a scientist is not the power and the money but the chance of catching a glimpse of the transcendent beauty of nature."
Freeman Dyson
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 08:56 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I can see that you are a secret admirer of Krauss, but if you don't want to admit it, then how about James Clerk Maxwell? Second Great Unification and all that?

You have a point...stupidity at that level is fascinating. Creatures like krauss are an absolute mystery. One can only guess how they work...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 12:41 pm
@maxdancona,
I actually consider history as a science, one of the oldest one. So I tend to assess historical narratives in terms of their fitness to known facts as well as the requirements of logic.

I don't think it is a fact that "the writings of Aristotle [have] held back science for centuries", not anymore than I believe that, for instance, "the writings of Newton have held back science for centuries." In both cases (Aristotle and Newton), I see genuises who have greatly advanced the quest for science by codifying, systematizing and synthetizing a vast body of observations and ideas (only a few of which they authored, most of this knowledge was preexistant in both cases) into a brilliant system of how the universe works.

In both cases, this grand theoretical synthesis so impressed the generations of scolars after them that they came to see the system as the pure expression of Truth, and they became glued to it. But of course both systems had weaknesses and were ultimately superseded by other theories or systems.

It is the generations of scolars after them, who thought of the theories of Aristotle and Newton as unassailable achievements of mankind, who could be accused to have slowed down science. Not Aristotle and not Newton.

Olivier5

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 01:22 pm
@Olivier5,
And on Newton's magical side, there is a fascinating entry in Wikipedia:

Isaac Newton's occult studies

Quote:
Newton's scientific work may have been of lesser personal importance to him, as he placed emphasis on rediscovering the occult wisdom of the ancients. In this sense, some[1] believe that any reference to a "Newtonian Worldview" as being purely mechanical in nature is somewhat inaccurate.

After purchasing and studying Newton's alchemical works, economist John Maynard Keynes, for example, opined at thetercentenary of his birth in 1942 that "Newton was not the first of the age of reason, he was the last of the magicians".....

Much of Newton's writing on alchemy may have been lost in a fire in his laboratory, so the true extent of his work in this area may have been larger than is currently known. Newton also suffered a nervous breakdown during his period of alchemical work, possibly due to some form of chemical poisoning (possibly from mercury, lead, or some other substance).....

Newton's writings suggest that one of the main goals of his alchemy may have been the discovery of the Philosopher's Stone (a material believed to turn base metals into gold), and perhaps to a lesser extent, the discovery of the highly coveted Elixir of Life......

The English Crown, also fearing the potential devaluation of gold, should the Philosopher's Stone actually be discovered, made penalties for alchemy very severe....
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 01:54 pm
@Olivier5,
I don't know what "history as a science" even means. History is not a set of testable facts. I am not sure this point is worth discussing.

There is a big difference between Aristotle and Newton; not on substance, but on process.

Aristotle's work is based conjecture. He started with what made sense to him, and then reasoned from that. His truth was based on an internal understand rather than on empirical observation. People didn't question them, because they were philosophical truths. After Aristotle, Physics didn't go very far, until he was challenged by Galileo (and Galileo was punished for it).

Newton's work is based on observation. He approached Physics scientifically and mathematically. In the Principia every axiom is well documented. His work is thorough and transparent. The results can be tested, and invite testing.

You are incorrect that Newton's work was considered unassailable. Newton's laws were testable, and tested and expanded. You can read the papers and work at the Royal Academy, anyone could show an experiment to challenge existing scientific theories, and people did. After Newton, the scientific process led to the industrial revolution and a time of great innovation and advancement.

I don't deny the work of Newton on mysticism, nor do I think it is relevant. His scientific work was careful, transparent, and brilliant. He may have applied the same process to his mysticism (there is nothing wrong with that), but it doesn't take away from the scientific process he followed, or the results he gained.

There is no comparison between Aristotle and Newton; not in the nature of the ideas, not in the process, not in the transparency of their work, and not in the results.

Susmariosep

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 02:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Dear Max, you have what folks in my land say, skin of onion.

Here, do something like this post from me in another thread (Who is your favorite author?) I contributed just now:
Quote:
• Post: # 6,472,733 • Susmariosep • Thu 27 Jul, 2017 02:33 pm

@farmerman,
"Science writing has me voting to retire Sean Carroll's number as the present champeen.Hes a much more convincing writer than Darwin because he assumes a basic scholarly level of understanding." -farmerman

I can't get you.

Who is greater in term of science, Caroll or Darwin?

Please rewrite your text:
"Science writing has me voting to retire Sean Carroll's number as the present champeen.Hes a much more convincing writer than Darwin because he assumes a basic scholarly level of understanding."

Dear readers here, this is what I see with posters in a web forum: people saying things without any depth at all much less substance.

What is it to say something with depth and substance?

Here, like for example, in regard to the difference between science and philosophy, I tell you, Oh ye readers of internet forums, I tell you that science is a self-censoring wherefore deficient knowledge, while philosophy is open-ended, open to all ideas, because it is grounded on truths, facts, logic, and the best thoughts of mankind from since the dawn of man's conscious intelligence.

Science today is limited to probing matter, but when you ask scientists, what is matter, they will get lost, for they don't really have any certain idea about what is matter.

In fact they equate wrongly that matter and existence are convertible: matter is existence and existence is matter, that is totally woefully wrong, why?

Because existence is broader than matter.

Here, think about this statement from me:
"The default status of things in the totality of reality is existence."

I ask you, suppose you replace the word existence with the word matter, will it make any complete sense to you at all?

Here, read this sentence which replaces the word existence with the word matter:

"The default status of things in the totality of reality is matter."

That does not make sense at all, because consciousness is not matter.

You don't accept that from me?

Okay, then tell me, what do you say about this text I will now write for you, as follows:
"You and your partner in a conversation must both have consciousness to talk together and understand each other; but you can't talk with a pebble, for a pebble is all matter, nothing of any consciousness with a pebble, still you can talk about a pebble with another conscious entity like yourself, namely, a fellow conscious entity i.e. another human.

Okay, everyone here, please let us talk about things you come to, with having read your favorite authors, Do they make any statement at all with depth and substance?
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:03 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
"Krauss??? Krauss is one of the dumbest around, had a superior intelligence come down to earth to judge it, I would put my head on a stick for this being factual..." -Albuquerque

I concur with you, because the man does not know anything in his writing that should be linked to this truism from yours truly:

He is one pseudo scientist because he practices systematic ambiguation,* in particular with the word/concept of nothing, as in his shallow book, A Universe from Nothing.

Dear colleagues here, let us never abandon the first pre-requisite of knowledge in whatever discipline, namely:

When we opt to neglect that very first pre-requisite, we can end up like Krauss, an ambiguation* writer, abusing language just to nurse his grudge against philosophy.

*ambiguation = doubtfulness or uncertainty of meaning or intention: to speak with ambiguity. 2. the condition of admitting more than one meaning. 3. an ambiguous word, expression, etc.: a contract free of ambiguities.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ambiguation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Max says to Olivier5:
"You use the term "rational", a concept that I don't think is relevant. There are many philosophies that are based on reason (including Aristotle). Science is based on experiment and observation."

Dear Max, no wonder you are impossible to read as to make sense with you, because you are into the cult of un-reason.

You see, everything must be judged on reason or rationality.

Perhaps, you can tell me what is your concept of rationality in thinking.

You say: "
"Science is based on experiment and observation."

You are always into intrinsic inconsistency and incoherency with your thinking and writing, because you don't have depth and substance with your thinking and writing.

Okay, tell me and all mankind, how do you conduct observation and experimentation, with reason or with what, magic? the kind you in effect really practice, because your thinking is absolutely unreasonable, simply because you think and talk without intrinsic consistency and coherency in your thoughts.

Think about that!

I am really enraged with this ilk of writers in internet forums, like one Max.
Olivier5

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:33 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't know what "history as a science" even means. History is not a set of testable facts. I am not sure this point is worth discussing.

The facts of history are not replicable, if this is what you mean. Neither are those of paleontology. You can't recreate the Jurassic, other than in the movies.

Quote:
There is a big difference between Aristotle and Newton; not on substance, but on process.

Aristotle's work is based conjecture. He started with what made sense to him, and then reasoned from that. His truth was based on an internal understand rather than on empirical observation.

That's not true. Aristotle was an empiricist. You confuse him with Plato. From Wiki again:

Quote:
most of Aristotle's life was devoted to the study of the objects of natural science. Aristotle performed original research in the natural sciences, e.g., botany, zoology, physics, astronomy, chemistry, meteorology, and several other sciences....

Aristotle's writings on science are largely qualitative, as opposed to quantitative. Beginning in the 16th century, scientists began applying mathematics to the physical sciences, and Aristotle's work in this area was deemed hopelessly inadequate. His failings were largely due to the absence of concepts like mass, velocity, force and temperature. He had a conception of speed and temperature, but no quantitative understanding of them, which was partly due to the absence of basic experimental devices, like clocks and thermometers.

His writings provide an account of many scientific observations, a mixture of precocious accuracy and curious errors. For example, in his History of Animals he claimed that human males have more teeth than females.

Because he was perhaps the philosopher most respected by European thinkers during and after the Renaissance, these thinkers often took Aristotle's erroneous positions as given, which held back science in this epoch.

However, Aristotle's scientific shortcomings should not mislead one into forgetting his great advances in the many scientific fields. For instance, he founded logic as a formal science and created foundations to biology that were not superseded for two millennia. Moreover, he introduced the fundamental notion that nature is composed of things that change and that studying such changes can provide useful knowledge of underlying constants....

Geology

Aristotle refers to many examples of changes now constantly going on, and insists emphatically on the great results which they must produce in the lapse of ages. He instances particular cases of lakes that had dried up, and deserts that had at length become watered by rivers and fertilized. He points to the growth of the Nilotic delta since the time of Homer, to the shallowing of the Palus Maeotis within sixty years from his own time ... He alludes ... to the upheaving of one of the Eolian islands, previous to a volcanic eruption. The changes of the earth, he says, are so slow in comparison to the duration of our lives, that they are overlooked; and the migrations of people after great catastrophes, and their removal to other regions, cause the event to be forgotten.

He says [12th chapter of his Meteorics] 'the distribution of land and sea in particular regions does not endure throughout all time, but it becomes sea in those parts where it was land, and again it becomes land where it was sea, and there is reason for thinking that these changes take place according to a certain system, and within a certain period.' The concluding observation is as follows: 'As time never fails, and the universe is eternal, neither the Tanais, nor the Nile, can have flowed for ever. The places where they rise were once dry, and there is a limit to their operations, but there is none to time. So also of all other rivers; they spring up and they perish; and the sea also continually deserts some lands and invades others The same tracts, therefore, of the earth are not some always sea, and others always continents, but every thing changes in the course of time.'

Max wrote:
After Aristotle, Physics didn't go very far

What happened after Aristotle is neither his fault nor his credit.

Quote:
Newton's work is based on observation[/b]. He approached Physics scientifically and mathematically. In the Principia every axiom is well documented. His work is thorough and transparent. The results can be tested, and invite testing.

That would be because the scientific method had been invented by then.

Quote:
There is no comparison between Aristotle and Newton; not in the nature of the ideas, not in the process, not in the transparency of their work, and not in the results.

They stand two thousand years apart, mind you? So yeah, they thought in different ways. If by modern standards Newton seems closer to us, it's because he is closer to us. But both were geniuses and both greatly contributed to science in their own way, each in his own historical context.

In fact, the idea of comparing their relative worth is a bit naive and a-historical: one should never judge the past by the criteria of the present. That's called an anachronism.
maxdancona

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:39 pm
@Susmariosep,
Quote:
I am really enraged with this ilk of writers in internet forums, like one Max.

If someone enrages you, you should go elsewhere; unless you enjoy being enraged. When you annoy people, they just push the "ignore" button... which is what is happening to you.

I tried to reach out to you. It is no skin off my back to ignore you (which is what everyone else is doing). It was my attempt to be kind to you. If you are going to keep lashing out, I will ignore you too.

Generally, people only interact with people who interest them in some way.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:45 pm
@Olivier5,
Is it really interesting to argue about the differences between history and science? History consists of narratives that depend on social values; who is important, what constitutes progress, what is the meaning of events.

History talks about the triumph over slavery, but not the triumph over Native Americans. We see feminism as progress, but terrorism as a problem.

If you see History as a set of dates when things happened, I think you misunderstand history.

maxdancona

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:56 pm
@Olivier5,
I am not blaming Aristotle for anything. I am merely pointing out that his ideas became "religious" (in both the metaphorical and literal sense of the word). It isn't Aristotle's fault that his ideas became entrenched in European thought to the point that they were used as evidence in the Inquisition. But that is what happened.

But there is a big difference between Philosophy and Science. Aristotle was a philosopher. Sure you can find some things in his writings that were correct, and somethings that were wrong (like any writer). But what he wrote was not based on anything close to scientific method. He came up with a set of conjectures and then reasoned from there. There was a kind of observation (in that he based his conjectures on what he saw). But there was no idea of any object testing of his ideas, or experiments.

Newton and Galileo were Scientists. They both appealed to what we now understand as Scientific method. They suggested experiments. They made predictions that could be tested... and they expected them to be tested.

I am not blaming Aristotle for being born 2500 years ago. I just just saying that what he did was to write down conjectures as a Philosopher. This wasn't science.

Newton and Galileo did science... they made well-defined laws that could be testable by experiment and were used to make useful predictions about how Nature worked..

Susmariosep

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 03:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Max says to Olivier5:
"@Olivier5,
I don't know what "history as a science" even means. History is not a set of testable facts. I am not sure this point is worth discussing."

See? Dear readers here, Max says he doesn't know what history as a science means, then he goes on to express an opinion which is silly about history as science.

When a person says he does not know something, then he should ask from better minds and better writers what they understand of a term/concept, like in the present instance, with history as science.

Now, I tell you guys what I know to be history as science, it means simply that when we read an account of something from a piece of what we see to be into history, which is in turn a writing to record events in the past, we must be scientific in approaching that kind of a writing, namely, history.

Now, what is it to be scientific in reading history?

In the present context science in reading history means that we must understand the piece of history writing with taking into account the understanding of society at the time of and in place of the event being written about, AND also the writer of the history who wrote in a later date and society on the event having occurred in still a much older time and clime, older to the history writer.

There, that is what we might call history as science, meaning read history scientifically, i.e. taking into account the time and clime of the events reported by the writer, who could be writing not in the time and place of the events, but already then living in a later time and in another place.

Dear Max, don't say you don't know something and then proceed to issue critical words on the something, that is being inconsistent and incoherent, which is the miserable standard of your thinking and writing.

When you want to criticize someone or something because you DO have some information at all, but you are not a master on the someone or something from long research on the someone or something, then issue at the very start the following statement:

"Please correct me, but I seem to have this thought etc."

That is what I always tell atheists, and they always run away, because they don't have either anything better than my thought, on an issue.

For example, I tell atheists like one Max, tell me what is your comment on my statement: "The default status of things in the totality of reality is existence," for I honestly and sincerely care to learn from you - see, dear readers how they react, atheists in particular because they move about with so much self-smugness, they become dumb, or they run away to nurse their evasiveness, which is what I call with a good correct ad hominem, their “Acquired Intelligence Deficiency Syndrome."

An ad hominem is actually a tool to get people to think on truths, facts, logic, and the best thoughts of mankind from since the dawn of man's conscious intelligence, by appeal to the sense of shame.

Think about that!

In fact, that is the sorry status of posters in a web forum, they all talk with the unspoken conspiracy not to require each other to explain themselves according to truths, facts, logic, and the best thoughts of mankind from since the dawn of man's conscious intelligence.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 06:29 pm
@maxdancona,
John Tuzo Wilson, an applied geophysicist who got bored with just hunting up subs in WWII, began adapting the navies high resolution magnetometers to learn something about the ocean floor. So he, Harry Hess, Izzy Zeits and Rich Bird and others , came up with a highly evidence laden geophysical model called seafloor spreading.
"Oh anybody coulda thought that up" said the philosophers, well why the hell didnt ya, stead a just itting there smoking Luckies
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 11:49 pm
@maxdancona,
If it is not intetesting, why do you discuss it?

History satisfies the criteria I use to define science: falsifiability by empiric evidence and rationality. If you think that science is always correct, you misunderstand it.
Olivier5

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 11:53 pm
@maxdancona,
So you're saying that before the invention of the scientific method, scholars did not use the scientific method. I think I can agree with that.
0 Replies

centrox

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:48 am
Grosseteste?