My father's illness

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:19 am
Catching up. I'm glad the sheepskin has helped your father.
<thanking Piffka for teaching me about it>
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:09 am
Hi ehBeth, thanks Smile

The car has been admitted to a garage this day, waiting for the results.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:09 am
Hi, when dad had the problem of mild sores (redness with bleeding), I was

treating him with some type of skin ointment. A doctor prescribed it for

dad to alleviate the problem. What was making it worse the urge of

scratching the area.

After that, I used the magical potion by Noddy and ehBeth. It really

worked. Bleeding, scratching, sores, redness, rash, everything gone. But

now, here is the thing; part of the skin (on his waist sides, and buttocks) is

peeling off. It's nothing I guess, but he sometimes scratches them when

they itch. I think there is no harm, but I wonder if I can help him removing

some of the peel off skin, or just leave them to go by themselves.

I think the cause of this was the skin ointment. Is there any idea, or should

I forget about it, as it's nothing I guess. I'm just concerned about him.

By the way, the car arrived today from the garage, after staying for four

days under care. Father was asking me who brought the car, told him not

me, a friend. Few seconds, asked me, did you bring the car?!

I know he is old, but when I was speaking to him and looking at his face, I

realized how old and weak he is. I wonder if you get this, but sometimes it

looks like that you know, and realize the person for the first time even if

you know his situation before.

Ok, I love my father, and love you all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:25 am
Navigator--

I suspect your father's skin is drying out and this is causing the peeling--which would itch. Body lotion might help.

Tending a dying parent is always difficult, particularly when the parent's body and will are more enduring than his mental processes. He's preparing for a long journey and the bits and pieces of daily living are becoming extra baggage.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:10 am
Thanks Noddy, the same problem has appeared. The rash thing on the side of one hip ( right ) along to the knee. It is making like one line. This is because the itching, and dad sometimes keep scratching. I was controling this problem using the ointment I mentioned ( Betaval-N ) .I think the Summer time has to do with this problem also.So, when the skin ointment is finished, the problem pop again.

I want to ask you about the body lotion, didn't try it so far. Is that good? Maybe it's another magic. Ok, I know that I have to see a dermatologist, but there is a specific day for them here that I can't make it in time. I feel sometimes that doctors only giving directions without knowing what is really going on. They want to just do it.

Thanks Noddy Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:27 pm
In hot weather medicated powder might help--or just plain cornstarch if medicated powder is not available.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:33 pm
navigator wrote:
Can we consider dermatitis as a kind of bedsores?.But, I'm not sure of the name.It's some sort of rash.

A bed sore is NOT a dermatitis. A bed sore is commonly called a "pressure sore", and if untreated, easily may lead to tissue infection and
destruction. A bed sore, when it first appears, may look pinkish in color.
This is the time, to see a medical professional for an evaluation.

It sounds to me, like your father has a problem with bed sores. If he is always in bed, and never walks around, or even sits up in a chair, the bed sores will only get worse. Also, urine in constant contact with human skin, in a patient who is bed ridden will promote bed sore formation.

To avoid bed sores, increase protein content of his diet, have him get out of bed and sit in a chair, and make sure, he is ALWAYS free of urine on his skin.

Be sure your father gets plenty of water to drink. It's posssible your father might be in need of an IV.

A common cause of skin redness in the elderly, bed ridden patient is yeast infection. To avoid this, keep skin free of urine and always dry.
A good powder is Gold Bond powder applied liberally to the skin.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:34 am
Hi Miller, actually my brother has a tendency to get the bedsores than my father, because he ( bro ) is quadriplegia. You are right about getting enough water, and also change the position, which must be done always . I do it three times or four a day for brother only. For dad, he's an old man, and you know old people; either don't understand the way, or don't care. I thought of bedsores first because they were ( small red patches ) in case of dad. But, taking in mind that he is hemiplegia, he can slightly move himself in the bed. It's the contact of the urine and the skin as you said.

I'm on it with the ointment ( bought it three times now ). It's effective and cheap I guess.

Did I mention that my father is kind and sensitive. He is cute also, you know like son like father Very Happy

Thanks Noddy, I also found out that starch thing is good to soothe the itching.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:46 am
I'm doing physio for dad's hand . He can't move it, grab with it. But, I don't hope much of improvement to it, you know in case of use it backs like normal. It's weak, and this is hard for it to be like normal.

I'll tell you what things happen after my physio therapy ( not expert but trained when I was at hospital, you know nurses Cool ). Now, all of the fingers can spread like before, but when you leave them, they go back to the old position (closed hand). Does this mean anything? I mean I haven't heard of a crippled person (either hemi or quadri ) that manage to use part of his ill limbs again.

Maybe I'm wrong
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:56 am
My father wants me to take him to the hospital again. I don't know, he has

this idea that he can use his hand again. I keep telling him that his hand

needs only physio which I do always. Many doctors told me that it's not

possible for him to use his hand or walk again, not at this age.

I mean this is awkward, I want to take him wherever he wants just not to

make him sad.

Maybe I'm a lousy son, and I should have done more.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:35 am
Hi everybody. My brother ( can I speak about him here ?!) isn't passing

well. We use enema every two days, but this time no result. I tried even

two, but nothing. I'm worried about the food he eats. He's supposed to

eat more salad, but not food rich of sugar, or high calories. Also, I always

argue with him about drinking gases. He dosen't listen, and I don't wanna

hurt him.
0 Replies