Diversity of Everything but Thought

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:56 pm
Rest assured Set, if ican and fox are too busy I would be delighted to slurry your profane name. Is that a capital S?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:57 pm
Yes, please get it right.

Now, i really have to go.

Like Ah-nold, ahll be bahck.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
This statement . . .

Ican wrote:
Your treatise on this is equivalent to blaming Niccolo Machiavelli for advocating the distructive political tactics he wrote about, when he was not advocating but was actually describing the then lousey tactics of contemporary politics.

. . . and this statement . . .

Ican wrote:
It is my thesis that like Maciavelli, Horovitz was describing what he perceived to be the behavior of someone and not advocating that that behavior be adopted by anyone.

. . . are not equivalent statements. ...

I think they are equivalent within the context of the subject we were discussing. I claimed each was describing and not advocating.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:00 pm
Please see my response at the top of this page. I have to remain at this forum, because my transaction involves an exchange of PM's, but i haven't time for any long responses.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:07 pm
Hi, kids - mind if I sit here and watch for a while?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
Please see my response, above.

For as much as i am delighted by this playful exchange of contempt, i am in the middle of some rather important online transactions, and will be absent for some time. I do, however, encourage Ican and Fox to blacken my name as much as they are able in my absence.
Laughing

Laughing Surely my posting that you are reading comprehension challenged after you misquote me, and your earlier posting that I know nothing --after my making my claims about Maciavelli with which you disagreed--at the very least are "cut from the same piece of cloth," so to speak. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:11 pm
Long as you don't throw nothin' into the fightin' pit . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:14 pm
Just thought i'd bring this to your attention again:

Setanta wrote:
Please note that i posted my response to Fox with a time stamp of 3:59 pm. Ican's tortured answer to my question of whether or not he had read the work has a time stamp of 3:53 pm. As i did not type a long response to Fox and put in two links and list the table of contents of the work instantly, a reasonable person can see that i would have been unaware of Ican's response, it having been posted while i was till preparing my response to Fox.

But i would certainly never wish to deprive either Ican, or his sycophantic cheerleader of the pleasure of insinuating or openly stating that i have a reading comprehension problem. I do have a deteriorative vision condition, but that only bodes well, as it suggests that i soon will be unable to read posts by either of them--a consumation devoutly to be desired.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:15 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Hi, kids - mind if I sit here and watch for a while?
Laughing
I shall mind only if you refuse to call a spade a shovel!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:19 pm

-- Charles Dickens, Hard Times

Ican, our very own Josiah Bounderby
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:36 pm
Setanta writes
Quote:
I do have a deteriorative vision condition

And while I agree with little that Setanta says, and must resist making many comments to avoid violating TOS, I do hate to hear of such a serious problem for anybody. I would rather endure his insults than not be insulted because of such a reason. Given all the miracles discovered by modern science, I will hope for such a miracle for him. .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:44 pm
I thank you, and would point out that the miracle would need to be political, as i haven't the health insurance coverage to pursue the treatments needed.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:50 pm
Quote:
I do have a deteriorative vision condition, but that only bodes well, as it suggests that i soon will be unable to read posts by either of them--a consumation devoutly to be desired.

Well, it seems Set that you will need a reader. We can't do without you. Bad news about the eyes. Yuck. I dread such a condition, but I fully expect it eventually.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:35 pm
I am sorry to hear that Setanta.

Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:36 pm
Cheers, Boss, thanks . . .
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:24 pm
Someone once said, "growing old is not for sissies."

I'd add that debating adamsites is not for sissies.

You're no sissie!
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:32 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Someone once said, "growing old is not for sissies."

I'd add that debating adamsites is not for sissies.

You're no sissie!

So, you talk to yourself? From your description of adamsites, I would put you in that category.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:36 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
You would have thought that the all-knowing Setanta, abetted by his claque leader, Walter, would have been able to cite the passages verbatim without needing to resort to links given how he has spent all those years studying, even to the extent that he can order anybody else he considers less learned or intelligent to keep silent.

What do you think Walter? I think Ican clearly won out on accuracy on this round.

You don't like intelligent people, do you?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:41 pm
Atkins wrote:
You don't like intelligent people, do you?

Interesting diagnosis, Dr. Atkins. What are the symptoms that lead you to that opinion?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:13 pm
link

Quote:
Is George Will's $250,000 Prize Yet More Payola?
credit: Aya Kawano

By Dave Astor

Published: February 25, 2005 1:15 PM ET

NEW YORK When the conservative Bradley Foundation awarded a $250,000 prize to George Will last week, it raised some eyebrows at a time when Armstrong Williams, Maggie Gallagher, and Michael McManus have been criticized for accepting government money.

The foundation is a private entity, but it is reported to have ties to the Bush administration, and its president/CEO is a former Republican National Committee member.

The prize "sure has a strong stench of a payoff to yet another White House sycophant," said "Non Sequitur" cartoonist Wiley Miller, whose Universal Press Syndicate comic appears in 700-plus newspapers and includes political commentary. "Is this how they're going to get around direct payoffs, by pretending it's some sort of journalism award?"

But Suzette Standring, president of the National Society of Newspaper Columnists, feels differently. "To me, financial awards, however large, bestowed for excellent writing are not a form of payola," she said. "It's a mind-bender to believe George Will would otherwise write liberally had a left-leaning $250,000 prize been dangled in front of him. A conservative foundation recognizes and awards conservative writing -- what's the surprise?"

Both Will and Bradley Foundation President/CEO Michael Grebe did not return E&P phone calls asking for comment.

Will, who's syndicated by the Washington Post Writers Group to 400-plus papers, was one of four conservatives to each receive $250,000 for winning this year's second annual Bradley Prize, presented for what the organization calls outstanding intellectual achievement. (The other three aren't columnists.) During the award's inaugural year, the four winners included two other columnists: Charles Krauthammer of the Writers Group and Thomas Sowell of Creators Syndicate.

Aly Colón, who teaches ethics at the Poynter Institute, said he didn't know enough about the Bradley honor to judge whether it's a problem for a newspaper columnist to receive it.

Colón did add: "When a journalist is awarded a prize, there's going to be some tension with regard to how independent the journalist remains." He said there's less tension when the prize comes from a journalism organization, but "another dimension of seriousness" when the award comes from an organization with a political orientation -- and when the recompense is as large as $250,000. Also, Colón raised the possibility that such a lucrative award could influence columnists who would like to win it in the future.

A number of journalism awards come with cash, but usually far less than $250,000. Pulitzer Prize winners, for instance, receive $10,000. Speaking of the Pulitzers, Will was quoted by The New York Sun as saying at the Feb. 16 Bradley ceremony in Washington, D.C.: "It's very fine to win the Pulitzer Prize. It's even better to receive the Bradley Prize."

The full name of the Milwaukee entity that gives the prize is the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation -- named after the brothers who founded, in 1903, what became the Allen-Bradley Company. When A-B was acquired by Rockwell International in 1985, a significant portion of the proceeds went to the foundation -- which had about $535 million in assets as of September 2003, according to a Newhouse News Service article that month.

The article said of the foundation: "Headed by a former Republican Party official [Grebe] and enjoying strong ties to the Bush administration, the foundation is credited with producing more than a decade of intellectual fuel for conservative lawmakers."

Another 2003 article, in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, said many of the neoconservatives who would later urge President Bush to invade Iraq had received funding from the Bradley Foundation.
0 Replies