Diversity of Everything but Thought

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:04 pm
blatham wrote:
Horowitz is not a good guy. He's an ideologue in the worst sense of the term. And he is, perhaps more problematically, ceaselessly self-absorbed.

Please. Not a good guy? Who is a good guy? Krugman? Moore? Franken?

The book of his I have (Left Illusions) is painful to wade through. The first 50 pages, written by himself or others, are filled with aggrandizing reflections...

Painful because your bias represents the stricture of scar tissue?

"Ponderous though these thoughts were for a fifth grader, these ideas were indeed mine."

"Like [Whittaker] Chambers, I had become the most hated ex-radical of my generation."

Jerry Rubin might disagree, but then he sort of faded into Wall Street.

"I am now as prominent on the conservative side of the ideological divide as I once was in the ranks of the left."

This is hubris. He is far more prominent as a conservative than he ever was as a leftist.

"As a result of the marxist ideas I had already absorbed, I was thus able by the age of eleven to dispose of the enduring pathologies of our social condition."

Removed from context.

And so it goes, on and on. And he wishes, too, that we understand his poetic and learned range...

"That YES can be sounded with an emphasis that ranges from the frenzied bitternes of a Timon to the melancholic petulance of a Jaques in As You Like It. It has it pradigmatic expression in the answer of Diogenes the Cnic to the world conqueror from Macedon who had stopped in his way to ask the philospher what he desired of him, Alexander. Diogenes answered that he wanted only that Alexander step aside and cease to block his sunlight."

"What separates Beatrice's statement from Hamlets..."

"The career of Don Quixote (albeit an 'obsessed' romantic) illustrates how a critical realism..."

"'In the realist, the miracle springs from faith, and not faith from the miracle' (dostoevsky). 'Whether we take...the Indo-Aryan rita...the primeval order of that which is right and just, or Israel's tsedek, in which truth and justice combine, or the Greek dike, the inexorable course of world events..."

"'I have prayed just one prayer in my life: Use me.' These are the words of Spegel, the actor, in Ingmar Berman's film The Magician."

Then, he begins talking about the left in universities...note the time warp aspect...

"Can Maoism, the new vogue in SDS ideology..."

"These are not academic points. The 'Weatherman' statement of the new SDS leadership is built around the strategic concept of 'people's war' as laid down by China's Lin Pao. The concept envisages a united people's front of Third World liberations forces encircling the principal metropolis of imperialism, the United States."

It doesn't get any better. Just more strident.

So he can't write.

I have no problem with criticism of Horowitz the writer. Let's face it, any of these clowns who imagine they are or were a historical figure are beyond the pale. However, this doesn't invalidate the intellectual arguments they might make. Jackasses can be brilliant: Witness Blatham.

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:49 pm
ican711nm wrote:
George Soros and others like him have hundreds of millions and give away tens of millions to Democrat organizations and supporters without [your] detailed scrutiny and/or audits.

But people in the same financial condition give away tens of millions to Republican organizations and supporters with [your] detailed scrutiny and/or audits.

Why the difference?

Lola wrote:
Tell me about George Soros, ican. Let's see if his donations are similar.

Here you go, ican. I'll give you a little help:

Open Society

soros

Good luck.

Here you go ican........this will tell you everything you need to know about think tanks:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/wiki.phtml?title=Think_tanks

Lola, you did not answer my question. You had presented a very detailed and lengthy analysis of donators and their donations to Republicans.

Why did you not provide an equally detailed and lengthy analysis of donators and donations to Democrats?

Your references show that you are capable of providing that analysis as well. When you do that you will disclose that Soros's donations to Democrats make almost all of the donations to Republicans look like chicken feed.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:58 pm
WITH WHOM DO YOU MORE CLOSELY IDENTIFY?

The castroites work to:
1. Establish different rules for different people;
2. Satisfy everyone’s needs;
3. Equalize everyone’s capabilities;
4. Allege the theories and solutions advocated by their opponents lack sufficient supporting evidence;
5. Vilify their opponents by false description of their opponent’s position, or by vilifying the associates of their opponents.

The adamsites work to:
1. Establish the same rules for everyone;
2. Satisfy everyone’s wants;
3. Increase everyone’s capabilities;
4. Propose theories and solutions;
5. Compare the evidence supporting proposed theories and solutions to identify the better theory and solution.

Theory: The differences between castroites and adamsites are probably irreconcilable. Look at the evidence.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:49 pm
ican, I've done my work. It's your charge, the work will have to be yours. I'll even do it for you, but not for a couple of weeks because I'm very busy with deadlines coming up in a couple of days and in 2 weeks.

It is easy, as you point out, so why don't you do it? I did a little, but I had to stop because I don't have the time. But I'll say that if you type The Open Society or George Soros into Google you'll get a list of organizations.

The organizations all seem to be dedicated to the promotion of democratic governance, human rights, and economic, legal, social reform, and support of the rule of law, education, public health, and independent media.

Here's what I find when I go to wikipedia:

http://www.answers.com/topic/open-society-institute

Quote:
The Open Society Institute (OSI), a private operating and grantmaking foundation, aims to shape public policy to promote democratic governance, human rights, and economic, legal, and social reform. On a local level, OSI implements a range of initiatives to support the rule of law, education, public health, and independent media. At the same time, OSI works to build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as combating corruption and rights abuses.

History
OSI was created in 1993 by investor and philanthropist George Soros to support his foundations in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Those foundations were established, starting in 1984, to help countries make the transition from communism. OSI has expanded the activities of the Soros Foundations network to other areas of the world where the transition to democracy is of particular concern. The Soros foundations network encompasses more than 60 countries, including the United States.

And from the American Political Science Association:

http://www.apsanet.org/content_8727.cfm

Quote:
Open Society Institute
http://www.soros.org/

The Open Society Institute (OSI) is a private operating and grantmaking foundation based in New York City that serves as the hub of the Soros foundations network, a group of autonomous foundations and organizations in more than 50 countries. OSI and the network implement a range of initiatives that aim to promote open societies by shaping government policy and supporting education, media, public health, and human and women's rights, as well as social, legal, and economic reform.

GRANT
Individual Project Fellowships
www.soros.org

Program Development Fellowships

Soros Fellowship in Harm Reduction and Drug Policy Reform

January 31, 2004

The only (maybe, I couldn't tell for sure, no time) negative site I could find simply listed organizations to which Soros has donated. I could find nothing negative to read on the two or three of these organizations I had time to follow either.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Lq31UVx4IRMJ:www.questionsquestions.net/feldman/soros.html+Open+Society+Institute&hl=en

Quote:
George Soros' "Parallel Anti-War Media/Movement"

by bob feldman

Perhaps Amy Goodman should finally make full disclosure of all foundation grants that either the Pacifica Foundation, WBAI, Democracy Now, WBAI, KPFA, the Indymedia Centers, Free Speech TV, Deep Dish TV, the Pacifica Campaign or the Downtown studio from which she broadcasted in 2000 and/or in 2001 have received since 1992?

Regarding George Soros's U.S. alternative media gatekeeping/censorship network, the following recap might be of use to U.S. grassroots anti-war activists whose political work is not being subsidized by Establishment Foundations such as Billionaire Global Speculator George Soros' Open Society Institute:

1. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $50,000 grant to the Nation Institute "to support project to improve performance and reach of Radio Nation, weekly public radio news and commentary program." George Soros' personal advisor for politics, Hamilton Fish III, is also a top executive at The Nation Institute.

2. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $50,000 grant to the National Federation of Community Broadcasters, which used to be headed by former Pacifica Foundation Executive Director Lynn Chadwick.

3. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute apparently gave a $125,000 grant to the Citizens for Independent Public Broadcasting [CIPB} group (on whose board sits FAIR/CounterSpin co-host Janine Jackson) "to cover administrative and start-up costs for launching national campaign entitled Citizens for Independent Broadcasting."

4. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $78,660 grant to Don Hazen's Institute for Alternative Journalism/IMI/Alternet in San Francisco "to fund start-up of Youth Source, a youth Web site which will be part of a larger web poral, Independent Source."

5. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $126,000 grant to the International Center for Global Communications Foundation "toward launch of Media Channel, first global media and democracy supersite on the Internet."

6. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave 4 grants, totalling $118,000, to the Internews Network.

7. In 1999 George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $12,000 grant to Downtown Community Television Center. (There's a possibility that this was the group which provided studio facilities for Democracy Now after the 1999 WBAI Christmas coup).

8. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $150,000 grant to the Fund for Investigative Journalism. (Is this the same media group which provided some funding for KPFA's Dennis Bernstein during the 1990s?)

9. In 1999, George Soros' Open Society Institute gave a $35,000 grant to American Prospect magazine.

10. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $30,000 grant to the Center for Defense Information.

11. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $75,000 grant to the Center for Investigative Reporting.

12. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave 4 grants, totalling $220,000 to the Committee to Protect Journalists--on whose board sits NATION magazine co-owner and editorial director Victor Navasky.

13. In 1999, George Soros' Open Society Institute gave 2 grants, totalling $272,000, to the "Project on Media Ownership."

14. In 1999, George Soros' Open Society Institute gave a $100,000 grant to the Public Media Center in San Francisco.

15. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $73,730 grant to the dance company of a Pacifica Network News staffperson's domestic partner.

16. In 1999, George Soros' Open Society Institute gave a $50,000 grant to Youth Radio in Berkeley.

17. In 1999, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave 2 grants, totalling $393,000, to the Tides Foundation.

18. George Soros's Open Society Institute recent gave a $102,025 grant to Radio Bilingue.

19. George Soros's Open Society Institute has also apparently been providing funds to subsidize a "parallel left" section of the prisoner solidarity movement. Critical Resistance, the Prison Moratorium Project, the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights and The Sentencing Project are all being funded by George Soros's Open Society Institute.

20. In 2001, George Soros's Open Society Institute also gave grants to help subsidize the Jews for Racial and Economic Justice group, the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement group, the Million Mom March group and the Center for Investigative Reporting.

21. After 9/11, George Soros's Open Society Institute gave a $75,000 grant to the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee Research Institute, a $250,000 grant to the ACLU and a grant to the LCEF group on whose board Mary Frances Berry used to sit.

Billionaire Soros's War Stock Investments

Like the former Corporation for Public Broadcasting Chairperson who owns a major chunk of the Columbia University-linked Nation magazine, Clinton-Gore Campaign Fundraiser Alan Sagner, the global speculator whose Open Society Institute gave KPFA a $40,000 grant in 1995 has some interesting special economic interests.

In his 1990 book The New Money Masters, John Train has a chapter entitled "George Soros: Global Speculator" in which he indicated how Soros obtained his surplus wealth:

"Soros...has always had partners on the management side, such as Jim Rogers...In 1969, aged 39, he [Soros] ...joined with Jim Rogers to found Quantum Fund... "It is not registered with the SEC...so the shareholders are foreigners, mostly Europeans...It engages in multidirectional international speculation in commodities, stock, and bonds...Thanks to Rogers, the fund was one of the first to recognize the investment merits of defense stocks."

According to The New Money Masters book, Soros's business partner in the 1970s and early 1980s, Jim Rogers, "became the largest outside shareholder of Lockheed in 1974."

As of 1989, the portfolio of Soros Fund Management Equity Holdings included $27 million worth of Boeing stock, $106 million worth of RJR Nabisco tobacco company stock, $3.5 million worth of Lockheed stock, $2.2 million worth of CBS stock, $2.3 million of Time Inc. stock, $12.8 million worth of Warner Communications stock and $6.5 million worth of Wal-Mart stock.

A Senior Fellow at the Soros Foundation's Open Society Institute who is a former president/ceo of Twin Cities Public Television in St. Paul, Minnesota "is aiding the Open Society Institute in considering issues of professionalism in media and related public policy questions," according to the Soros Foundation/Open Society Institute website.

The first organization listed above:

http://www.nationinstitute.org/about/

Quote:
About Us
Founded in 1966, The Nation Institute has a fundamental commitment to the values of free speech and open discourse. The Institute places particular importance on strengthening the independent press in the face of America's increasingly corporate-controlled flow of information, and through its programs the Institute promotes progressive values on a variety of media platforms. The Institute sponsors a number of projects including conferences, seminars, televised town hall-style meetings, e-mail and web communications, book publishing, syndicated public affairs radio programming, film production, fellowships and internships.

Contact Info
The Institute can be reached at 212 209-5400, or at [email protected]. Our mailing address is:

The Nation Institute
33 Irving Place
8th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Board of Trustees
Hamilton Fish
President

Arthur Carter
Ellen Chesler
Ron Daniels
Adrian DeWind
Howard Dodson
Paula Giddings
Stephen Gillers
Danny Goldberg
Steven Haft
Victor Navasky
Tim Robbins
Howard Shapiro
Martin Sherwin
Domna Stanton
Catharine Stimpson
Rose Styron
Katrina vanden Heuvel
Davis Weinstock

IN MEMORIAM:
Haywood Burns
(1940-1996)

Taya Victoria Grobow
Executive Director
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:13 pm
http://www.pacifica.org/

National Federation of Community Broadcasters
http://www.nfcb.org/index.jsp

http://www.cipbonline.org/

That's all I can do for now. Sorry
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:34 pm
Here's something pretty interesting on Soros in about 20 seconds looking

George Soros
Contributions to 527 Committees
2004 Election Cycle

Recipient
Total Contributions

Joint Victory Campaign 2004
$12,050,000

America Coming Together
$7,500,000

MoveOn.org
$2,500,000

Democrats 2000
$325,000

Young Democrats of America
$325,000

The Real Economy Group
$300,000

Campaign for America's Future
$300,000

Safer Together 04
$150,000

Main Street Individual Fund
$0

NOTE: For ease of identification, the 527 organization names used in this section are those of the connected organization, rather than the official name of the 527 account. For example, the "NEA Fund for Children and Public Education" is simply listed as "National Education Assn." This data is based on records released by the Internal Revenue Service on Monday, May 23, 2005. Federal law prohibits the use of contributor information for the purpose of soliciting contributions or for any commercial purpose.
http://www.opensecrets.org/527s/527indivsdetail.asp?ID=11001147458&Cycle=2004
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:55 am
This is interesting to me. I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks. But don't wait for me, you guys enjoy and I'll try to read along, although after tomorrow I may not be able to check.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:03 am
For those who don't know who George Soros is and what he is all about, look here:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0825/p11s01-ussc.html
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:51 am
Lola wrote:
ican, I've done my work. It's your charge, the work will have to be yours. I'll even do it for you, but not for a couple of weeks because I'm very busy with deadlines coming up in a couple of days and in 2 weeks.

Thank you for all the research work on Soros you have done here. It is comparable to the previous work you did on contributions to Republicans.

Lola wrote:
It is easy, as you point out, so why don't you do it?

The reason I didn't post here what Soros had contributed to Democrats is because that wasn't germain to the question I asked you. I posted:
ican711nm wrote:
Lola, you did not answer my question. You had presented a very detailed and lengthy analysis of donators and their donations to Republicans.

Why did you not provide an equally detailed and lengthy analysis of donators and donations to Democrats?

Your references show that you are capable of providing that analysis as well. When you do that you will disclose that Soros's donations to Democrats make almost all of the [individual] donations to Republicans look like chicken feed.

You have provided substantial information now. Consequently, my question is mute. Thank you.

By the way, Foxfyre has provided above a list of Soros donations to Democrats that total $23,450,000.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:24 am
Ican wrote
Quote:
By the way, Foxfyre has provided above a list of Soros donations to Democrats that total $23,450,000.

And that doesn't touch what he gave directly to the Democrat Party and/or individual campaigns or what other organizations he helped fund who are not 527's but who futher the agenda of the Democrat Party or the Left in general.

And IMO, there is nothing wrong with that. I extend my preference for diversity of thought to the election process too. So long as it is his money and not money he is laundering from some other source, he has every right to do whatever is legal to get his candidate elected. Anyhow, there is something wickedly satisfying seeing him divested of all that money and has nothing to show for it but the election of George Bush and an increase of GOP presence in the House and Senate. Smile

Think how much good he could have done for so many needy people had he funneled his efforts into organizations that actually help people.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:38 am
Quote:
Think how much good he could have done for so many needy people had he funneled his efforts into organizations that actually help people.

There are plenty of us needy people out here very happy that he has tried so hard.

I agree, Fox that there's nothing wrong with donating whatever a person has to support a cause. It's not that Scaiffe or the Bradleys or the Coors family donate money. It's that they donate to organizations that are working undercover. Like the "renewal" groups who are working to control of the major Christian denominations. Only Bradley among them (the four sisters) is a true religious fanatic. The others have no religious affiliation. They're just into winning power by whatever means. And they stoop too low, even for me and I'm liberal. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
Soros donated money to the group that would help the most people of all; by which, I mean, of course, the Democratic party. Having Dems back in control traditionally means lots of aid to lots of people who need it.

So you could say that Soros is putting his money to use where he believes it will help the most people. From a human aid standpoint, 23 million is a drop in the bucket...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:13 am
Lola: Laughing

I hear you actually though I will never accept that the rightwingers work underground or undercover any more than the leftwingers do. If they are not 527's or other legitimate not-for-profit organizations, they are subject to the campaign contribution ceilings. If they are 527s or other not-for-profits, they can't be all that undercover since they have to prove their not for profit status on an annual basis.

And Cyclop, if you believe Soros using his vast wealth to influence elections is in the interest of the public good, then you have no quarrel with rightwingers doing that in the interest of the public good as well. Yes?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:04 am
In my recent limited survey, I have encountered lots of anecdotal evidence that there is a bias among the so-called liberal arts faculty of the state colleges and universities in my state toward what I call castroism and against what I call adamism.

My sample size is too small to currently justify any firm conclusions, but it is adequate to justify further investigation of such bias.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:18 am
Anecdotal evidence can be useful in stimulating different points of view I think. When I first glanced at this article, I thought it was another piece on English only versus bilingualism. But it isn't. It relates spot on with the whol issue of diversity of thought.

Saturday, June 11, 2005
June 10, 2005
When Bilingual Means Doublespeak
By Debra Saunders

Academic freedom -- and quality -- suffered a blow last week when writer Richard Rodriguez announced that he would not speak at California State University East Bay's commencement. He didn't want to endure a ceremony boycotted by some students. So reasonable minds didn't get to hear what Rodriguez has to say because unreasonable mouths won the day.

"He believes in assimilation and rejection of one's own cultural identity," student and bilingual teacher Leah Perez complained to The San Francisco Chronicle. That's a ridiculous assertion. Rodriguez does not reject his identity. The more accurate charge would be that he is not a fanatic.

Sarah Gonzales, a professor -- all bow -- who supports the move to intimidate Rodriguez, used doublespeak when she told The Chronicle: "We need to teach our students to be able to listen to diverse opinions, but they also need to be able to respond. As a commencement speaker, he gets free air time." Guess what. He also gets free speech.

Except at CSU East Bay.

And so the censorious students and authoritarian faculty decided to have their own little graduation ceremony, even with Rodriguez bowing out. That way, they won't have to expose their minds to any view that might offend them. When they threw their graduation caps into the air, they could pat themselves on the back for guaranteeing a ceremony that didn't make them think.

I take what happened to Rodriguez personally, because while he is getting flak from the left, I experience the same nasty censoriousness from the far right. If you stray from a certain set of opinions, the posse of extremism goes a-hunting. You see, no pundit is allowed to think that, just maybe sometimes, folks from another political persuasion have a point.

In the Internet age, partisans can log on to opinions tailor-made to conform to their own beliefs or sites that report only news they like. So they've come to see conservative-only news as something of a right: The right to not hear contrary opinions and discomforting information.

They also believe the Internet and talk radio will -- and should -- spare them from information they don't like. The far left and the far right share this dangerous conviction that they shouldn't even be exposed to what other Americans think. In this case, the students' rage was based on their views of Rodriguez's 1982 book, "Hunger of Memory." "The sad part is people doing this based on a book they haven't read," campus spokesman Kim Huggett told The Chronicle.

No lie. Then again, you can see why bilingual-education advocates wouldn't want to hear or read Rodriguez. Their cause relies on the ability of zealots to ignore unwanted data -- and, more importantly, student success.

When English-immersion activist Ron Unz put Proposition 227 on the ballot in 1998, most Democrats opposed the measure, and many educators did, too. They had their reasons. They feared non-English speakers would not learn subject matter. They believed English immersion would be especially harmful to older students.

But a funny thing happened. Proposition 227 worked. Within five years, the number of limited-English students who could speak English proficiently tripled. Educators who cared about immigrant children succeeding reassessed their beliefs. They didn't have to turn their backs on bilingual education entirely, let me add. To their credit, they simply came to realize that English immersion often works better with young children.

Bilingual advocates have been faced with two ways to address the success of Proposition 227. They could admit that bilingual education only works best for some people, and concentrate on that niche. Or they could ignore the successes of English immersion because they want Latinos to speak Spanish first and foremost. Imagine, then, how bilingual zealots would be especially threatened by a Latino who, from personal experience, knows in his heart that English fluency is attainable and essential for immigrant children to succeed in America. His crime is that he makes it more difficult for the bilingual lobby to dismiss English immersion supporters as racists.

Such a man must be vilified. He must be marginalized. He must be silenced.

Copyright 2005 Creators Syndicate
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-6_10_05_DS.html
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:37 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Anecdotal evidence can be useful in stimulating different points of view I think.

Imagine, then, how bilingual zealots would be especially threatened by a Latino who, from personal experience, knows in his heart that English fluency is attainable and essential for immigrant children to succeed in America. His crime is that he makes it more difficult for the bilingual lobby to dismiss English immersion supporters as racists.

Such a man must be vilified. He must be marginalized. He must be silenced.

To think that once it was the thoughtless who were vilified and now it is the thoughtless who are celebrated! Crying or Very sad

Well, if one were seeking to establish a stable viable dictatorship of the proletariat, celebrating the thoughtless is probably what one should do first.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:44 am
Quote:
And Cyclop, if you believe Soros using his vast wealth to influence elections is in the interest of the public good, then you have no quarrel with rightwingers doing that in the interest of the public good as well. Yes?

Shrug. I believe everybody should be required to be held to the same laws in this case. If Soros can donate tons of money, than wealthy Republicans certainly enjoy the right to do so.

Did you imagine that I would answer differently?

Ican
Quote:
To think that once it was the thoughtless who were vilified and now it is the thoughtless who are celebrated!

Well, if one were seeking to establish a stable viable dictatorship of the proletariat, celebrating the thoughtless is probably what one should do first

It isn't MY party that attacks higher learning and education. Or that calls people 'elites' who manage to finish college.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:51 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It isn't MY party that attacks higher learning and education. Or that calls people 'elites' who manage to finish college.

Cycloptichorn

It isn't mine either!

Which party does that?

Why do you think so?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:52 am
Um, many of the Conservatives and professed Republicans do EXACTLY that.

I think so becuase it has been going on for pretty much my whole life.

You know this as well as I do, why the willful denseness?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 12:10 pm
More opinion Cyclop? Or can you back up an assertion that "many of the Conserviatives and professed Republicans do exactly that"? What institutions of higher learning have been attacked? Or do you consider pointing out the political demographics on faculties to be an attack?

And what persons have been vilified as "elites" because they are college educated?

If you did demographics among Republicans and Democrats, would you say a higher percentage of registered GOP members or members of the Democrat party have some college or college degrees? Think carefully about the constituencies here before you answer.
0 Replies