Diversity of Everything but Thought

Larry434

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 06:58 am
A Democrat campaign manager analyzes the crushing defeat of the Dems in Election 2004.

The author, a Mr. Trippi, who managed Howard Dean's presidential campaign, is a fellow at Harvard's Kennedy School and an MSNBC commentator.

"Since the Democratic Leadership Council, with its mantra of "moderate, moderate, moderate," took hold in D.C., the party has been in decline at just about every level of government. Forget the Kerry loss. Today the number of Democrats in the House is the lowest it's been since 1948. Democrats are on the brink of becoming a permanent minority party. Can the oldest democratic institution on earth wake from its stupor? Here are some steps to pull out of the nose-dive:
• Democrats can't keep ignoring their base. Running to the middle and then asking our base to make sure to vote isn't a plan. And to those who say talking to your base doesn't work--Read the Rove 2004 playbook!

• Democrats must reconnect with the energy of our grass roots. One of the failures of the DLC was that its ideas never helped us build a grass-roots donor base. As a result, Democrats held a lead over Republicans in only one fundraising category before this election cycle: contributions over one million dollars. That shows how far the party had strayed from grassroots fundraising before the Dean campaign. We must build a base of at least seven million small donors by 2006. With the Internet it's possible. But it can't just be about the money, it also has to be about ideas.

• The one thing we learned in the Dean campaign was that the 30 people in Burlington weren't as smart as the 650,000 Americans who were part of our campaign. Instead of a DLC in D.C., Democrats should be holding Democratic Grassroots Councils in every county. Democratic National Committee members in each state, along with the state party, should host and moderate these meetings to develop ideas that come from the people, instead of the experts in D.C.

• A party that ignores the needs of state and local parties is doomed. We must begin to invest aggressively in states we continually write off in national elections. If we don't, the decline of the party in these states will continue until we're non-existent. Look at the south.

• In a world in which companies like Wal-Mart pay substandard wages with no real benefits, our party has got to find innovative ways to support organized labor's growth. A declining union membership is not good for the country, it's not good for working people, and it certainly isn't good for the Democratic Party.

• The Democratic Party has to be the vehicle that empowers the American people to change our failed political system. We all know the damn thing is broken. Democrats should lead the way by placing stricter money restrictions on candidates than the toothless Federal Election Commission does. A party funded by contributions from the people can do this. A corrupted and corroded party cannot. The Democratic Party shouldn't wait for campaign-finance reform--it should be campaign-finance reform.

• Finally, what is the purpose the party strives for today? What are our goals for the nation? You couldn't tell from the election. Very few good ideas come from the middle, and they tend to be mediocre. Consultants have become adept at keeping candidates in that safe zone. But the time has come to develop bold ideas and challenge people to sacrifice for the common good. Experts will tell you that you can't ask the American people to sacrifice individually for the common good. Those experts are wrong--it's just been so long since anyone has asked them."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
I thought I was banned from this board for being too radical or something. I am glad that I am not, but in a way it was good that I thought I was as it gave me time to reflect on my radicalness (probably not a word) and how it might be playing into the hands of those I am radicalizing (again probably not a word) against.

Anyway, I should be a prime example of the dangers of lumping people together and making assumptions.

Above all I like Washington's quote the best.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:21 am
Really Squinney? I would find a less hyperbolic take if I were you.

Quote:
There appears to be a large number of Americans who are prepared to kill anyone for George Bush.

Perhaps Roberts is spending a lot of time in redneck bars taking the pulse of the red states, but I doubt it.

Quote:
America has blundered into a needless and dangerous war, and fully half of the country's population is enthusiastic.

Needless? I can imagine a world much worse off without the Iraq invasion. Saddam at full power, fulfilling his bent for the best weapons, realigning himself with stateless terrorists (which alliances have never been disproven btw, and still seem eminently logical), the no fly zones extinct (they were an invention of the US and UK imperialists after all, not the UN), and the Iraqis broke and subjugated as before by their dictator and his sons. But never mind the inevitable argument about all that. How does he figure that supporters of the war are "enthusiastic"? His descriptions belie his lack of objectivety, and for all his conservative credentials, his failure to find a liberal media is the result of his being a rather small tree in that forest.

Listen, it isn't easy being a conservative. It was a lot more fun sitting with my friends drinking chai tea and bemoaning the follies of Republicans and stupidity of most Americans for electing them while marveling at how easy it would be to make everything right. The pentagon holding bake sales, right? But growing (much) older has changed the way I see some things. Those old familiar Democrats on whom I depended to wax victorious are not merely losers, they are also of questionable intellegence, seemingly content to bash without point (Carter and Kennedy for example). Their allies are amazingly suspect: the NEA, my union for years which has never missed a chance to increase the cost of public education for little educational advantage, Michael Moore, who, blessed by the first amendment, has become rich by creating his own genre which, devoid of those expensive actors, always proves its predisposed point at the expense of truth, and assorted egoists from Hollywood to Broadway who assuage their guilt by throwing a slice of the entertainment pie the left's way and, to their detriment, spouting whenever a microphone comes their way. Add the trial lawyers, France, old burned out hippies, Eminem, the ACLU, and the left doesn't have much to offer but what Roosevelt did: hope for a better tomorrow through profligate government spending.

Now, it is true that both sides spend like sailors on leave, that corporations run the show and have no morality, that some conservatives are religious wackos, and that government policy CAN be used for good, preferably by people who understand that the law of unintended consequence is Rule Numero UNO. My choice of ideology results from the feeling that the left is and will always be bipolar. On the one hand the patron of all the downtrodden, all the while representing self serving individuals and organizations that make the robber barons seem charitable. On another hand promising "a stronger America" while parading appeasers and parsers as its spokesmen, and nominating someone who was a hero just before he was a traitor. You sort of get what you see with Republicans. Quixotic puppeted Yalie Texans that love big business and will fight wars when necessary, but maybe not well. Oh well, life is a compromise.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:28 am
I think it becomes particularily easy to target Universities as being left leaning, but I think we do an injustice to the dialogue by assuming "left-leaning" is synonymous with "agenda driven"--as if the leftists have collaborated to create a secret society, so to speak.
What I appreciated about University was the promotion of free thought and a willingness to accept and/or foster diverse opinions.
Wordnet dictionary defines a "Liberal" as one who favors the protection of civil liberties, is not bound by authoritarianism or tradition, is characterized by broad-mindedness, a broad political stance, and possesses generous and broad sympathies.
If we should encourage narrow mindedness, scoff at civil rights, be bound solely to tradition, isolate our political thoughts and be unsympathetic to individual opinions and perspectives, then are we to assume that would be the teachings from the right?

Left leaning "liberal" education allows adults in institutions of higher learning to think outside the box that the right wants to contain them in--which includes the very prospect of shaping themselves as a conservative rightist.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
From Trippi via Larry:

Quote:
Democrats must reconnect with the energy of our grass roots

Quote:
our party has got to find innovative ways to support organized labor's growth

See, Bipolar!

Unions, in effect some of the largest corporations in the world, are not grassroots by any stretch. They DO donate millions to the left, whether their members choose to or not, and promote inefficiency and envy, while improving no one's lot more than well thought out legislation would. Joe (where'd all the money go) Trippi puts a fine point on my point. The left is going nowhere, as it beats a dead horse, unions, at the expense of enlarging its tent.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:07 pm
Quote:
Frontpage magazine, which many here will tell you you should not read, stays up to date on the liberal excesses at US colleges:

Well, when a site continually has major credibility issues re: blatantly making up partisan news stories, it's hard not to tell people they shouldn't read....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 01:32 pm
Larry434 wrote:
A Democrat campaign manager analyzes the crushing defeat of the Dems in Election 2004.

51% to 48% is a crushing defeat ???

the slimmest victory by any incumbant is a crushing defeat ???

hmmm. must be the new math that those liberal educators are spinning out there.

the whole liberal media and liberal educator thing is quite baffling to me. i come from a family where three of 4 aunts were teachers. my mother was a teacher and then a professor.

and not one of them was liberal. i mean, at all. they were about as republican and conservative as you can get. and this was their opinion during the vietnam era.

in my humble opinion, though; if it seems that there is a lack of "conservative" professors and teachers, wouldn't it be more productive to quit bitching about it and encourage more conservative minds to perhaps rethink the career path and say, maybe become a teacher instead of a stock broker or a corporate officer.

i know that the educator makes a lot less money than "a professional", but there is the moral issue of character and belief over the folding stuff, is there not?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 01:47 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Fox, very young people, of any ideology, tend to be the more rabid parrots of their parents or mentors.

excellent point, freeduck.

a little over 40 years ago, our first grade class was interupted by the p.a. announcement that president kennedy had been shot and killed. the teacher asked us if we needed to talk about it.

ever my parent's son, i raised my hand and chirped up, "gee, i know he was a democrat, but they shouldn't have shot him".

that was the same year that i told the same teacher during a class lesson that my grandfather used to call eleanor roosevelt "old horse face".

both comments were coming from my upbringing in a rabidly republican family. i was 7, what did i know?

and, in fact, when i turned 18, i voted republican for many, many years for republican presidents. until they stopped being republicans and started acting more like the local preacher man and trying to force their religion down my throat.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:17 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

51% to 48% is a crushing defeat ???

the slimmest victory by any incumbant is a crushing defeat ???

hmmm. must be the new math that those liberal educators are spinning out there.

the whole liberal media and liberal educator thing is quite baffling to me. i come from a family where three of 4 aunts were teachers. my mother was a teacher and then a professor.

and not one of them was liberal. i mean, at all. they were about as republican and conservative as you can get. and this was their opinion during the vietnam era.

in my humble opinion, though; if it seems that there is a lack of "conservative" professors and it teachers, wouldn't it be more productive to quit bitching about it and encourage more conservative minds to perhaps rethink the career path and say, maybe become a teacher instead of a stock broker or a corporate officer.

i know that the educator makes a lot less money than "a professional", but there is the moral issue of character and belief over the folding stuff, is there not?

Republicans crushing Democrats in the House and Senate as well as the presidency. Yes, it was a crushing defeat.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 03:19 pm
Thank you for the heads up on Frontpage Cyclop, I do read everything with a grain of salt, whatever that means. However, the list of periodicals not guilty of fabrication for their own end is quite short these days, limited to Car and Driver and some trade publications, so I will take what Frontpage says about the issue of college faculty bias with some seriousness, especially since their reports confirms some of my own experience. Feel free to post a list of sources that one may read so that one can think like you, please.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 03:45 pm
MaryM wrote:
candidone, I attended two university commencments this past spring and was treated to anti Bush tirades by professors at both. They were cheered and booed equally, as I am sure the other point of view would have been had someone been crass enough to promote it.

Frontpage magazine, which many here will tell you you should not read, stays up to date on the liberal excesses at US colleges: http://www.frontpagemag.com/ If it is just too conservative for you to read, I understand. An excerpt from one article:

"This year, for example, a criminology class at a Colorado university was given an assignment to write a paper on "Why George Bush Is A War Criminal." Bad enough. But a student who chose to submit a paper on "Why Saddam Hussein Is A War Criminal" received a failing grade (for political incorrectness). At Augustana University, a Lutheran private college, a student was attacked by his own professor and called a "neo-fascist" in front of his classmates for the sin of inviting a FoxNews Channel host to speak on the campus. At Metro State College in Denver, a student who was a Special Forces instructor and had served his country in Panama, the Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq was told by his professor that he was a "racist" and "violent" and that his uniform was an "offense to the class." At Texas University, students complained about a professors who used their classrooms as political soapboxes, including one journalism professor who instead of teaching journalistic methods lectured on racism, the war in Iraq and ruling class control of the media."

The situation at colleges is confusing, as faculties, imbued by the sense of rightousness a put upon minority always feels, have all the power a vast majority usually does. My advice to students: get the vellum and RUN!

Considering the vast quantity of colleges in this country, I don't find a couple of horror stories indicitive of the entire situation. Augustana and Metro State? Are these good representatives of the academic elite? Texas and Colorado are a little bit better, but the story from Texas is quite tame, and I suspect that the Colorodo story is overblown. Students cannot simply make up their own assignments and expect to receive a good grade. I don't buy that this was motivated by "political correctness" -- it probably wasn't. You can't always argue your personal opinion in an academic paper; you need to be able to argue from the other side as well, particularly in law school. If you're an aspiring lawyer that can't learn to argue both sides, I would fail you without a question, and that has nothing to do with political correctness or my political views.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
I would much rather have had you do the commencements Steppenwolf.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:08 pm
DTM: Loss of 5 Senate seats, some House seats and the WH again.

They lost the Presidency by 34 electoral votes.

Yup, an ass whupping it was. Very Happy
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:15 pm
MaryM wrote:
I would much rather have had you do the commencements Steppenwolf.

Very Happy My schedule is way to busy for that, Mary M; I've got to keep up my posting. Laughing
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:18 pm
Larry434 wrote:

I agree with that. It was a serious defeat, and it merits some major self-evaluation by the Democratic Party.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:19 pm
I always appreciate it when a neighbor displays their "Pro-wrestling" mentality... it lets me know just what I am dealing with in no uncertain terms.

Anyone who weighs current events with an "ass-whuppin'" index...
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:22 pm
Magus wrote:
I always appreciate it when a neighbor displays their "Pro-wrestling" mentality... it lets me know just what I am dealing with in no uncertain terms.

Anyone who weighs current events with an "ass-whuppin'" index...

Quite an appropriate description, I think...coming from a Red stater you know.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 06:47 pm
You "redstate-bluestate" (a la Doctor Seuss) divide-and-conquer clowns can drop the pretenses now...
Your theft of the gummint proves only your proficiency at thieving.

But your Chief clown seems unable to maintain his cabinet (Tom Ridge)... they're abandoning ship in droves, "for family reasons"...
how droll!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:20 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

I agree with that. It was a serious defeat, and it merits some major self-evaluation by the Democratic Party.

a serious defeat, yes, a crushing defeat, i disagree. but steppenwolf is correct that the dems need to do much, much better than this.

this "crushing defeat" thing is right there with "the people have given the president a mandate".

wrong. 51% of the people voted for him. 48% ( only 3 points fewer, for those wondering) did not.

i'll say it for the 100th time. 51% does not = 100%

so if the 51% are not prepared to consider the goals and aspirations of the the 48% (which, btw, did i mention, is only 3 points fewer than 51%? Laughing), i guess perhaps the ruling party should contribute ALL of the tax money. because the 48% that did not vote for bush doesn't seem like their gonna count much to you guys.

so, good luck paying for your war in iraq and paying down 1/2 of the huge deficit per the bush "mandate".

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:39 am
Magus wrote:
You "redstate-bluestate" (a la Doctor Seuss) divide-and-conquer clowns can drop the pretenses now...
Your theft of the gummint proves only your proficiency at thieving.

But your Chief clown seems unable to maintain his cabinet (Tom Ridge)... they're abandoning ship in droves, "for family reasons"...
how droll!

Yeah they all say it is for "family reasons".

Translated it means they can't afford to continue to work for the relative pentance paid by the government when they can go back thru the revolving door from which they entered government and return to the now much greener pastures, due to their government experience, of the private sector. Compare Cheney's compensation as CEO of Haliburton with his VP salary, for instance.
0 Replies