So I was wondering

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:24 pm
It's coming up toward work Christmas party time.
How do you feel about taking your partner/s.o. to them?

A friend of mine always takes one of her sons, cuz her husband's just no fun.
Setanta offered to pay someone to dance with me at the last one I took him to. He doesn't do disco. <sigh>

Taking the s.o.?
Or taking a friend?
Or going solo?

http://cagle.com/news/ReynoldsMenareFools/images/dancingcheektocheek.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,516 • Replies: 71
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:29 pm
I am going to dance with the wolves this Thanksgiving. On top of the bluff. Me and the wolves, silhouetted by the moon, our heads thrown back as we howl like crazy.

It's gonna be a party.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:31 pm
the whole family if I'm able
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:32 pm
You still in the hospital, husker?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:35 pm
at home with iv in arm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:39 pm
I would take the s.o. to a Christmas dinner; not to a party. I dunno, it just seems like a different concept.

PAY someone to dance with you? Why, I'd whack him in the chops for that, if I could either see over or around him. I mean, how flattering can you get?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:42 pm
husker wrote:
at home with iv in arm

Home is a good place to be.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:28 pm
Yeah, on home. I've done the office c/party stuff, over it.
Our office is the two of us, and we're splitting.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:29 am
ossobuco wrote:
Our office is the two of us, and we're splitting.

Is that a good thing, osso?

In respect to the question posed and I am only going on my own experience, if my S.O. or spouse really was not into it, I would take a friend. Probably one of my girlfriends rather than a guy friend. No offense to any of you Fred Astaires out there, but there are a lot of guys who just don't like to dance, they refuse to dance. With one of my girlfriends, we can dance up a storm, have a blast and watch all the seemingly miserable non-dancing couples sitting around just waiting for the night to be over.

Unfortunately, my former husband hated any social gathering, but insisted on going. He scowled the entire time, complained literally about everything. Oh yeah, what a fun guy he was......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:47 am
Our work christmas party is a lunch - and partners do not come.

We have a hilarious time, though.

I think it would be hard for partners if they were absolutely new to the group - unless they were VERY socially able, and able to adapt to the fast and furious badinage and hilarity.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:52 pm
Yes, Jane, we like leaving work early!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:03 pm
Office party? Ha! My little company (one of the largest financial corporations in the world) doesn't have the money for such lavish expenses as that!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:17 pm
We have an end-of-year thing, usually an end of afternoon drink and then dinner in one of the ethnic restaurants around here (nothing formal). Partners don't come along. A. once came along to the new year's group thing (just a lunch/drink at the office), mostly because she was fresh in Holland and didnt know anyone here yet and the boss had told me, why dont ya bring her along, and it was mighty awkward.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:22 pm
I've been invited to Mrs. cav's office party, but there is no way in hell I am going, on principle.

The wife has an allergy to bell peppers. She sent an e-mail to the anonymous company co-ordinater simply asking if they could ensure that allergies could be accomodated.

The first response was "just ask your server."

So...next e-mail, she said "that doesn't really answer my question, or anyone else who may need to know whether or not any of the food has come into contact with bell peppers."

Second response was along the lines of "according to your logic then, the only way you can completely avoid contact with bell peppers is to stay home."

I'm paraphrasing, but the e-mail response was so rude her boss needed to get involved to find out who sent it. I really don't feel like hanging out with a bunch of pricks with two free drink tickets only, and chips on their shoulders. Confused
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:25 pm
ehBeth. Will you tell Setanta to get a life and learn to dance?

Bet hamburger can cut a rug or two.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 04:41 pm
I took S.O. to one Christmas party and vowed to never do it again. He had a miserable time and, as a result, so did I. I always had much more fun if I went alone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:20 pm
The seasonal lunches, hosted by vendors, have already started <urp>

The department event will be dinner and billiards at a fun joint near the office. No partners.

The "party" is a formal event at a big fancy schmancy local hotel. Lotsa chandeliers and stuff. Pretty reliable food and wine. Coupla free drinks. Lotsa dancing. Usually great laughs if you're not with your partner - but the execs kinda expect the partner thing.

I think I'll take my friend's other son. Those boys like to dance, and are lotsa fun.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:22 pm
Letty, you're right about hamburger.

He and mrs. hamburger will be stars on the December cruise to Hawaii. Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 07:02 pm
My boss throws a fabulous dinner party at his house. S.O.'s welcome and they do come, for it is a treat. My bf will be there, but since I'm a staff and he a fellow, we can't go together. in fact we pretend we have nothing to do with each other. a true romeo and juliet story. then we go home together.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 07:10 pm
I wouldn't burden my SO with the work do. Why would you want to hang around people who's only common interest (work) is something you have no interest in/knowledge of? Or worse, everything your SO knows about your work is the people and events you bitch about! Faux pas alert....
0 Replies