Interesting Maps

snood

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
Okay, I realize I'm setting myself up for labeling as a desperate liberal, grasping at straws, but I found this fascinating, nonetheless. If these representations are accurate, do you think it says anything about the current state of the union?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/graphics/2004map1.jpg
http://www.snopes.com/politics/graphics/2004map2.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,214 • Replies: 72
No top replies

Idaho

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:31 am
Ummmm . . . What representations? Is there a link missing?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:17 am
Snopes doesn't permit hotlinkin' images. Here's the article to which those images snood wanted to display belong.

Here is a very informative map, objectively depicting county-by-county results as conventional 2D red/blue color functions, augmented by histogramatic 3D of party-by-party stength-of-voter-choice distribution.

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/results2004_lg.jpg

Its from ESRI, the folks whose software was used by CBS on election night. This outfit also produces USA Today's election maps, and is responsible for many of the official maps appearing in the US National Atlas published by The US Department of The Interior and The US Geograhical Survey.

Another note ... while Democratic support preponderantly resided in population-dense coastal and Great Lakes shore urban areas, Kerry underperformed Gore's 2000 vote tally in nearly 2/3 of the nation's counties, while Bush bettered his own 2000 showing in nearly 90% of the nation's counties.

If any are interested, lots more maps and plenty of analytical A2K discussion of factual data can be found starting About Here on the "If you were a bookie" thread.

Edited (clumsily Embarrassed ) - Image resized smaller to prevent spreading the page width - timber
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:21 am
It tell me that the Democrat Party better hope that Global Warming is not a realistic threat.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
LOL, Finn - that's been mentioned Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
The colors are pretty. Nevertheless, the electorate is split 50/50 in national elections.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:49 am
The vote by county map is interesting because with the exception of New England, which is a region, the map broadly reflects topographic/environmental features. Blue areas (Kerry) are New England (region) the east (Atlantic) coast Mississippi valley, desert south west and the west (Pacific) coast. Red areas (Bush) are Appalachia, gulf coast, Great Plains, Rocky Mountains. These are somewhat broad generalizations and I have no idea what this means, if anything.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm
Remember Ohio went to Kerry too.

Yeah, the map is telling.
The red states is where the rednecks bigots are most concentrated.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm
Timber, your map is nonsense.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:05 pm
I THINK IT IS A BUNCH OF CRAP THAT THESE UP- TIGHT CENSORS TOOK YOUR MAPS OFF THIS PAGE SNOOD.
FASCISM HAS EVEN IN A2K.
I DON'T WANT ANY MORE TO DO WITH THIS FASCIST FORUM, I QUIT.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:19 pm
Quote:
rednecks bigots

I'm sure we'll all miss your thoughtful discourse.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:26 pm
D2t, Write if you get work.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:39 pm
Timber is doing the conserative thing. He wasent elected he was appointed by himself as a2ks resident god. Why not let everyone see the maps and judge for themselves. We dont need any more dictators.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:47 pm
Oh come ON people - Rabel, D2T, get a grip already.

The reason we can't see those maps Snood tried to post is because, as Timber already mentioned, "Snopes doesn't permit hotlinkin' images". Read that? The site on which they are located doesn't allow other webpages to "deep link" to them.

Nothing to do with Timber, nothing to do with A2K. Hell, Timber was even nice enough to include a link that you can follow to see those maps after all.

Jeez ...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:47 pm
nimh wrote:
Oh come ON people - Rabel, D2T, get a grip already.

The reason we can't see those maps Snood tried to post is because, as Timber already mentioned, "Snopes doesn't permit hotlinkin' images". Read that? The site on which they are located doesn't allow other webpages to "deep link" to them.

Nothing to do with Timber, nothing to do with A2K. Hell, Timber was even nice enough to include a link that you can follow to see those maps after all.

Jeez ...

You're a welcome voice of reason nimh.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:48 pm
And some folks still can't figure out why The Democrats keep losin' ground .... sheeesh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:51 pm
Timber, it would be really nice if you stopped generalizing from every left-wing nut. There are plenty of right-wing nuts, too, and I don't think you'd appreciate a continuous pattern of generalizing from what they say to the Republican party. And yes, a continuous pattern -- I have seen variations of that statement really often from you.

Meanwhile, yes, this seems to be a total misreading, and thanks as always to nimh for being non-partisanly reasonable.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Timber is doing the conserative thing. He wasent elected he was appointed by himself as a2ks resident god. Why not let everyone see the maps and judge for themselves. We dont need any more dictators.

And you and D2T are doing the liberal thing.

Failing to comprehend the issue and responding with reflexive irrationality, hyperbole and ad hominem attacks.

[Sorry nimh - I just couldn't resist. They opened too wide a door, I had to enter. Twisted Evil]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:07 pm
Nimh - you are treasure - pure treasure.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:21 pm
I'm pretty sure it only looks like something due to the "winner take all" method of assigning electoral college votes. There may be some sway of big gov't vs. small gov't mentality going on, that cities seem to prefer "big government" and the more rural areas preferring "small government," but maybe that was truer in the preceding centuries of government, maybe it's not relevent at all...
0 Replies