Interesting Maps

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:46 pm
Meanwhile, with the silly frou-fra over, can we get back to Snood's original question? Is there some significance to the similarities between the 2004 and 1861 maps? I'm really intrigued by this.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:25 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Meanwhile Is there some significance to the similarities between the 2004 and 1861 maps?

Snopes doesn't think so ... from The Article referenced earlier, the source of the maps which lead this topic:
Snopes.com wrote:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:08 pm
I'm lost - I can see the two maps I originally posted, can the rest of you? If so, why was it necessary to post other maps?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
snood wrote:
I'm lost - I can see the two maps I originally posted, can the rest of you? If so, why was it necessary to post other maps?

No one else can see the maps.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:14 pm
snood, if you're havin' trouble seein' 'em, its prolly related to the host website. I didn't see 'em at first either, though now I do ... nowever, I did visdit Snopes and view them there, so mebbe they're cached on this machine. Would it mebbe be possible for you to copy the maps to your machine, then load them to a different hosting site and link to that from here? If not, mebbe I can help. Lemme know.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:17 pm
Snood can see 'em, Timber, its just none of us can. Probably because the site wont allow deeplinking from outside, but once you've been to the site itself, it's in your cache and it does work - did I get that right?

Happened with me coupla times - I post a pic here, I can see it, but nobody else can ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:19 pm
Anyway, never bloody mind I'd say, the link's been given, everybody can go to the site itself and look at the maps as much as he wants ... so back to the regularly scheduled program. What was the question? ;-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:20 pm
nimh wrote:
Snood can see 'em, Timber, its just none of us can. Probably because the site wont allow deeplinking from outside, but once you've been to the site itself, it's in your cache and it does work - did I get that right?

Yes.

And here's an easy way to post pictures:

http://www.imageshack.us/
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:37 pm
snood wrote:

Snood, I can see the maps also .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:38 pm
I can see the maps. Wazzgoinon?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:45 pm
Must be ghosts or sum'thin' ... mebbe flyin' saucers are behind all the confusion. Laughing

I suspect those who see the maps have visited the websight and have 'em cached on their machines. I'm on another machine now than I was earlier, and I get red Xs in boxes now.

If snood wants to, he easily can save 'em to his machine, get himself set up with a free account at http://www.imageshack.us/ , upload 'em, then redo the links here with the preformatted links imageshack supplies ... its really pretty handy ... I use imageshack quite a bit myself.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:58 pm
Sorry Timber. I saw your edited version of the maps, which I dont quite understand, and saw your statement about editing them and jumped to a conclusion. I apologize. It has something to do with population density I suppose.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:39 pm
timberlandko wrote:
...set up with a free account at http://www.imageshack.us/ .....

BTW (and mainly for those not familiar with it), Imageshack doesn't require any registration, which is the only reason I think it's useful.
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:53 pm
dare2think wrote:
Remember Ohio went to Kerry too.

Yeah, the map is telling.
The red states is where the rednecks bigots are most concentrated.

are you insane ?Kerry even admitted there was no way a recount would turn out a win for him.
And as far as refereing to everyone living in a RED State as "Redneck Bigots" , boy that must make you life so much essayer , beleaveing that everyone who disagrees with you is stupid , it couldn't possibly be that your wrong no no no . It simply must be that there is something Wrong with us . but hey i understand , you have to validate your ideals somehow , and ya couldn't do it with your vote , so i guess this is the next best thing.
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:58 pm
btw , thanks for letting me know i'm a bigot , but now that i"m aware could you tell me who i'm supposed to hate , My gay sister maybe , how about my Jew grandparents , atheist maybe , oh wait i see , i'm supposed to hate myself , right?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
http://www.pascal.com/diary/images/2004-11-05/redvsblue.gif

Quote:
Using final vote percentages from electoral-vote.com, I made a map showing the percentage of "red" voters in each state along with the percentage of "blue" voters. The color on top of each state shows the party that won that state's electoral votes. (Note: this is not perfectly scientific, as my approximations were made by eye, but I tried to be as accurate as possible for the purpose of this exercise.)

pascal's diary
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:21 pm
That's another cool one! (Just mentioned nimh's purple map on another thread, same concept.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:10 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Sorry Timber. I saw your edited version of the maps, which I dont quite understand, and saw your statement about editing them and jumped to a conclusion. I apologize. It has something to do with population density I suppose.

Hey, NP ... I get jumped on all the time. Sometimes rightly, sometimes not. It don't bother me much. Ain't often, though, that somebody comes out and apologizes for havin' gotten it wrong ... I admire ya for that.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:21 pm
Coming from a red county in a red state, I believe that the map has much more significance than has been mentioned here. It is really very similar to the 2000 map, which I once heard described by a speaker at a national meeting with the phrase "The people in the blue counties depend on the people in the red counties for their very survival". The unavoidable fact is that the red counties contain the resource-producing areas of the country, whether you want to call it farming, ranching, logging, mining, or virtually any other production-based economy you wish to name. The Democratic emphasis on taking care of its citizens, rather than relying on citizens to take care of themselves, does not play well in rural areas. Although I have not been in big-city life for many years, it does seem to me that urban residents generally want more assistance from government, and that rural dwellers would more often just like to be left the hell alone. In that context, the map make more sense than I would like. To me, it exemplifies the true urban/rural division that this country has undergone during the past several decades. This in itself I find troubling, and I certainly do not foresee any improvement in the immediate future. Any consoling comments?
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:35 pm
i think your right about the divition of the country , it has almost nothing to to with bigotry , christianity or ignorance as some leftwing extreamist would like to think . it's really just the same old argument the whole world has been haveing for about oh 90 years or so . socilist leaning thinkers VS Capitalist.
the RED states find less need for socilist style resorses becouse of the resourse producing areas you spoke of . thjis is the true devition of valuse we have in th US right now
0 Replies