Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:45 pm
I cannot believe it... my guys cooked all the Brussels sprouts last night to eat with some salmon. Yeah, I helped finish them off, too, but they were already cooked. I would have objected if I'd realized what they were up to beforehand.

I have to go to the store and get a new veg. Another is coming to dinner, plus four more are coming over for dessert. <gulp>

Happy Thanksgiving to you and I hope that tomorrow your turkeys are fully roasted and crisp on the outside, tender & delicious on the inside. Good Luck!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:07 pm
Piffka wrote:

I have to go to the store and get a new veg. Another is coming to dinner, plus four more are coming over for dessert. <gulp>

Happy Thanksgiving to you and I hope that tomorrow you turkeys are fully roasted and crisp on the outside, tender & delicious on the inside. Good Luck!

Oh, oh! a vegemergency!

What did you say? Did you call us turkeys?? Confused

Well, we are tender on the inside.

...and I suppose some of us are pretty roasted on the outside too. Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:10 pm
Oh, heck... one r. What good eyes you've got, Jjorge. Y'know, I think I'll leave it, it's kinda cute.

(Vegemergency is perfect.)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
Re: Thanksgiving Dinner
Piffka wrote:
Anybody cooking Thanksgiving dinner next week?

I've emailed the menu to my family for approval and to sign-up. I thought it would be fun to share and compare on a2k. I am not quite to the point where I put out the serving dishes with little notes (cranberry sauce here) as did my previous generation, but I like to plan the menu.

Something we started a couple of years ago is for each member of the family (ie. the kids & Mr.P) to cook at least one dish on the menu for any festive occasion and to ensure it is put on the table with as much fanfare as possible. It makes me feel less like the galley slave I am.

Thanksgiving Menu Planning - November 25, 2004 - 7pm
Dinner for nine

Shrimp/Cream Cheese w/ Crackers
Crudite Platter - Celery, Tomatoes, cucumber pickles, olives, etc.
.... Steve B's white wine - Blue bottle, $$ -- at least 2 bottles
Clear onion Soup w/ croutons
.... Red Wine - Cabernet - something good $$ -- 4 bottles
Roast Turkey & Gravy
.... Italian Stuffing
.... Mashed Potatoes
.... Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Waldorf Salad
.... Fancy Bread & Butter
Green Beans w/ bacon & vinagrette
Candied Yams
Seared Brussels Sprouts
Pumpkin Pecan & Apple Pies
.... Coffee, Liqueur, Whiskey
.... Mixed Nuts, Chocolate, Mixed dried Fruit

Uhmmm... still not sure about the clear onion soup. I'd like to have one, even though that is the worst time for me, as cook, to sit down, as hostess, and get everyone started. Maybe I should drop it?

maybe I'll come by in 2005 for this terrific dinner Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:58 pm
Piff, if only you could strain the meal into an IV bottle...yuk yuk
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
Piffka wrote:
I cannot believe it... my guys cooked all the Brussels sprouts last night to eat with some salmon.

One of my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
panzade wrote:
Piff, if only you could strain the meal into an IV bottle...yuk yuk

OMG LOL
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 06:06 pm
<shudder> a Brussels sprout drip!

Husker -- I'd love to see you and promise to cook something fabulous WITH Brussels sprouts on the side whenever you manage a trip this way.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I'm so glad you're home. I don't say it enough, but I worry about ya.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 06:19 pm
I just took a call from a friend with breast cancer - imagine the idea of being more concerned about me - yikes he is humbled.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
Have to be thankful for the grace you've got, Husker... even if it is people worrying over you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:22 pm
Husker, I know we've talked before re your trips south perhaps coming close to where I live, but I know you take 5 south for efficiency reasons. But you have piff in the Seattle area and me in Humboldt Cty, who would cook up a storm if we could meet you in real life. But, in the mean time, we're throwing you brussel sprouts and the world's greatest mashed potatoes.

I know going to the coast takes more time, and if I were you on the way south I might go toward the coast later, down in central california, near San Luis Obispo...

a little loop thereabouts doesn't take all that much time.

Anyway, peace, man.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:08 pm
Well, I made up my mind - we're going to have stuffed veal breast instead of a turkey. Smile
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:17 pm
My family and I are having dinner at my brother's home again this year. Not sure what is on the menu but I do know we are having turkey...and my father is bringing his most famous chocolate pie. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:25 pm
I am brining my first brined turkey as we speak, including bay leaves from my own trees, and thyme from my own herb beds, such as they are.

Stay tuned.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:30 pm
Sounds good osso, I'll stay tuned to see how it turns out. You have your own bay leaf trees? How interesting Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:49 pm
Well, osso, I thought about you tonight when I finally took tomorrow's green beans & bacon off the back burner. They simmered for 3 hours. Yep, I think they're dead now. Laughing

(Grandma would NOT be amused.....)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:05 am
I have to go look back at what horrible thing I said, Eva. Back in a minute...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:08 am
Oh, yea, I was wondering if you were hanging on to kill every last vitamin... it's true, that was pretty obnoxious of me, if observant.

So you nabbed allathem, eh?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:13 am
Yeah, I got 'em.

Obnoxious? No...funny as hell! I don't cook like that any other time except holidays, and only then for the sake of tradition. Isn't it hilarious what people used to think was "good, healthy food"...? I remember my mother making us butter & sugar sandwiches and saying they were good for us. Oh yeah...white bread, white sugar and butter. God help us.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 08:35 am
Eva -- I used to put mustard on those. Durn good.

Jane -- I think that a breast of veal sounds good. DO they have breasts??

Osso -- I was supposed to brine my turkey, but I got so tired last night, I fell asleep before I could do it. I'm so bummed.
0 Replies