Piffka

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:10 am
Anybody cooking Thanksgiving dinner next week?

I've emailed the menu to my family for approval and to sign-up. I thought it would be fun to share and compare on a2k. I am not quite to the point where I put out the serving dishes with little notes (cranberry sauce here) as did my previous generation, but I like to plan the menu.

Something we started a couple of years ago is for each member of the family (ie. the kids & Mr.P) to cook at least one dish on the menu for any festive occasion and to ensure it is put on the table with as much fanfare as possible. It makes me feel less like the galley slave I am.

Thanksgiving Menu Planning - November 25, 2004 - 7pm
Dinner for nine

Shrimp/Cream Cheese w/ Crackers
Crudite Platter - Celery, Tomatoes, cucumber pickles, olives, etc.
.... Steve B's white wine - Blue bottle, $$ -- at least 2 bottles
Clear onion Soup w/ croutons
.... Red Wine - Cabernet - something good $$ -- 4 bottles
Roast Turkey & Gravy
.... Italian Stuffing
.... Mashed Potatoes
.... Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Waldorf Salad
.... Fancy Bread & Butter
Green Beans w/ bacon & vinagrette
Candied Yams
Seared Brussels Sprouts
Pumpkin Pecan & Apple Pies
.... Coffee, Liqueur, Whiskey
.... Mixed Nuts, Chocolate, Mixed dried Fruit

Uhmmm... still not sure about the clear onion soup. I'd like to have one, even though that is the worst time for me, as cook, to sit down, as hostess, and get everyone started. Maybe I should drop it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,637 • Replies: 165
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:14 am
I must demur re the menu, as my role this year (as always) will be to bring the wine (to Portland). Sounds yummy, though, Piffka; mind if I stop off at your place on the drive down?

Just kidding--but my question is: How many people coming and how many bottles of wine? Thanks!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:21 am
I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year and typically keep to the traditional. Turkey with basic bread stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, yams, squash, carrots, corn, some type of green vegetable, fresh biscuits, probably some cheese spreads and crackers. Both red and white wine. We will have about 17 people. And the guests will bring the deserts.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:26 am
It is always handy to have someone bring the wine, D'A. Just stop on in. Wink

But... you think I'm overdoing it? Nine adults and everyone drinks... guess I'm hoping that one of those bottles of Cab, at least, is left over. It won't go to waste but I wouldn't want to run out.

Last year we went through six bottles of that white wine (blue bottle $$).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:32 am
Seventeen people? <thud>

You're a better "man" than I am, Gunga Din.

I faint at the thought of so many eaters - hopefully many of them are little ones. How big is that turkey?

If my brother were coming, I'd have to make creamed corn. Luckily, he's going to his in-laws and they can make it for him.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
Piffka
Piffka, drop the soup. It will make you crazy trying to cook and sit at the table slurping soup at the same time. With all the good food you are preparing, no one will miss it and you won't be frazzled.

Have you thought about adding pomogrante seeds to your waldorf salad? They look like rubies sparkling among the apples. Also good is adding thinly sliced Fuyu persimmons to the waldorf salad.

BBB

Pomograntes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:38 am
Piffka--not to worry, I wasn't challenging the quantity of wine you were having! Far be it from me...Just wondering what is the right amount per adult. The crowd I dine with tend not to be guzzlers, though my brother and I do our fair share!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
1/2 a bottle of wine (3 glasses) per person is generally standard for parties, but err on the side of caution for special occasions, when people tend to drink more.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:47 am
Very nice Piff. We have 3 adults and 3 teens...so it's Chef-Boy and turkey.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:50 am
French Seckel Pears with Blue Cheese in Marscapone
Piffka, this is one of my favorite beginnings for a special dinner.---BBB

Recipe - French Seckel Pears with Blue Cheese in Marscapone
By BumblebeeBoogie.

Don't miss trying this simple but wonderfully refreshing dish as an appetizer or as a dessert while Seckel pears are in available in the fall and winter seasons.

1 package of the best English Blue Cheese you can find
1 package of the best Marscapone (Italian creamed cheese)
optional 1 teaspoon of brandy or Calvados
French Seckel Pears, peeled, cut in half, cored and sliced

Stir the optional brandy or Calvados into the Marscapone until well-mixed; finely crumble and mash the blue cheese and add to the Marscapone; mix well.

Serve as a dipping sauce for the slices of French Seckel Pears. This sauce is wonderful for other types of pears as well.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:51 am
One suggestion, get some jalapeno & garlic jelly to go with the crackers and cream cheese.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
For some after dinner exercise, you can take a turkey leg and those sprouts outside for an impromptu game of "brussel ball".
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:08 pm
So how many bottles are you going to go with, D'A?

Thanks, Cav... I think that I'm about right with that "cautionary note."

BBB -- Thanks for relieving me of that soup... I immediately felt better about dropping it!! And that's a great idea re. the pomegranates. My daughter is making that salad and she considers pomegranates to be essential for the holidays. She will love to add them. The mascarpone recipe will be filed away for Christmas Day, I think. I adore pears and all the rest of those ingredients. Yum, blue cheese & brandy.

Chjsa -- We have Br. sprouts lovers in this family and never seem to have enough for a ball game. I like the idea of jalapeƱo jelly -- might be a little odd with the shrimp & cocktail sauce & cr. cheese, but good with the crackers for a different taste. Sure would be easy to put it out. I love that stuff. Thanks.

ehBeth -- Just in case you come checking this out... I plan to buy "proper" cream cheese. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:13 pm
Piffka, I'm thinking six, partly because my friend's daughter now lives in the California wine country, where she studying the culinary arts. I believe she's bringing some up with her. Plus, my bro brings beer for those so inclined.

But I may bring eight bottles, just to be safe...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:31 pm
Eight bottles! Doesn't that sound blissfully decadent? <contented sigh>
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:32 pm
After all that fancy bread and stuff, make sure to have some soft rolls and Miracle Whip around for leftover turkey sandwiches.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:34 pm
ok, let's have some recipes...shrimp/cc and the stuffing...and the green beans.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:43 pm
Miracle Whip? Did I ever tell the Miracle Whip story?

Several years ago, when she was just a year or two out of school, my little sis was the cook on a salmon seiner and in charge of buying all the supplies.

So they're cruising out in the middle of the water, north of Vancouver Island, headed towards Alaska, when the captain discovers the "Whip." He went beserk (he may have been drinking). Started yelling at my sis, and tossed every jar of the offensive stuff overboard. Then he threatened to toss my sister off if she ever allowed it onboard again. She wasn't sure if the rest of the crew could have stopped him.

Some people have strong feelings about that stuff.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:58 pm
Yeah, I was the first mate....your sis bought only Hellman's after that
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:59 pm
I only like Miracle Whip on turkey and ham sandwiches. I always use real mayo for everything else.

One turkey recipe I have involves reconstitued dried chiles, onions, garlic and seasonings, combined in a blender, then rubbed all over the bird and under the skin. That one's good.

The big thing in turkeys these days are the "all natural" birds. These birds can be a little dry, so brining them overnight in heavily salted water (like seawater) is advisable. If you cannot fit your brining contraption in your fridge, then you'll need to add some ice and keep the thing in a cold place, like the garage or mud room.
0 Replies