ShadowRaven66669

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 06:39 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_Witch_Trials
0 Replies

melii

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:55 pm
this reply is to britney about the saem witch trials
hello.
well this is my opinion and well thats what you asked for right. well in my opinion it is real. i don't think they were all just honest people doing nothing bad. but i do think that some people were just i dunno maybe curious. and ended up at the other end of the law. i am also researching the salem witch trials because of a book i am currently reading. i would apreeciate if you wrote back and told me wat you think og my idea.
thx see ya!
0 Replies

queen of hearts

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 04:01 pm
You know nothing has changed, man still believes in "the hunt", they have only evolved by changing the w to a b....seriously, man loves to blame all of his problems on the apple givers

did you know that in some countries you could be killed for the poetry you write, or the music you listen to, or the God you believe in. Hell in the U.S. you can be killed for going to school on the wrong day, if one of your classmates gets dumped by his girlfriend and goes beserk
0 Replies

madcat

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:23 pm
the salem witch trials
HI, I'm doing a history day project on the salem witch trials and need to ask a expert. I was wondering if anyone knew a place on the web i could go to find someone? thanks alot! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 09:57 pm
Madcat, there's a link on this page on which you have posted--did you read any of this thread?

In the very first response in the thread, Seed posted this:

On the first page, the Wolf Woman chimed in with this on witches in gerneral:

shewolfnm wrote:
Hello Brittany.

I do apologize, I know you wanted this information quicker but it took me a while to gather some information for you.

http://robotics.caltech.edu/~mason/Delusions/epd_witch.html

Then, on page three, Miss Law added this:

Debra Law wrote:
Crime Library
Notorious Murders -- Not Guilty

The Salem Witch Trials

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/not_guilty/salem_witches/1.html

Chapters

Parris

Tituba

The Evil Hand

The Magistrates

Goody Good

Fanning the Flames

Hysteria

Increase Mather Returns

The Trials

Summer in Hell

Giles Corey

Reason Returns -- Excerpt:

Quote:
The death toll was mounting. Three days after Giles Corey was pressed to death, eight more witches -- Corey's wife Martha among them -- were hanged, bringing the death toll to 20 (19 hanged, one pressed to death). Three people -- including Sarah Good's nursing baby -- had died in prison awaiting trial. At least 40 people had been jailed awaiting trial, several had escaped with the help of family and friends and many simply left the area until the storm blew over.

It was now six months from the time Elizabeth Parris started acting possessed and terror swept the colony. Along with their cadre of afflicted friends, Ann Putnam and Abby Williams were summoned to nearby Andover where they pointed accusing fingers at 50 more people, most of them strangers. Emboldened by their power, the Putnam women and several of the more precocious girls started accusing even more prominent people than the likes of Rebecca Nurse, Mary Easty and Martha Corey. They went too far when they accused Lady Phipps, wife of the governor and forced the ministers of Boston to step in. . . .

I would suggest that that is enough to get you started.
0 Replies

madcat

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:53 pm
Salem WItch trials
Thank you sooooooo much!!!! it helped ALOT!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

dave b

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:17 pm
Location of Executions
Does anyone know the exact location where the "witches" were put to death? Not too far from present downtown Salem, there is a very high promontory with a park in it with a playground. Someone told me this is the place, and it sure looks like it would be. Doe anyone know for sure?
0 Replies

dave b

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:06 pm
book
Also, the book A Delusion of Satan by Frances Hill. Does anyone have any comments pro or con about that book? I am thinking of getting it but want to get reader info first. Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 06:30 am
I am not familiar with the book to which you refer. However, all the evidence i was able to find in a brief search suggests that all of those hung were hung on "Gallows Hill," in Salem, which later became notorious as "Witch Hill." To place that topographically, i suggest that you contact the office of the county engineers--in most jurisdictions, the county engineer's office is responsible for local maps. A local library in Salem may help, as well.

Giles Corey was "pressed" to death for refusing to plead (i.e., he would neither admit nor deny his "guilt"). Pressing meant that he was placed on the ground, and a large panel of stout wooden planks was placed over him, and stones were then piled on the panel until he was "crushed to death," although suffocation was the likely cause of death, when he could no longer draw breath into his lungs. At least four people died in prison, awaiting trial--some accounts list others, as many as a dozen others, as having died in prison; only four, however, are acknowledged as having died in prison in official records of the time.

Click here to be taken to a map. (On that page, select "Large Map" under the rubric "View the map."--you can enlarge that map by clicking on it after it has fully loaded. This is necessary to be able to read the detail of the map.)

This map was prepared in 1866 by a gentleman named Upham, and it shows the place of execution as an otherwise unnamed hill to the south of Salem village, and to the west of the town of Salem. In the lower right-hand corner of the map, near the bottom edge, you will see a hill marked with a "W" which is listed in the legend as the "place of execution." The hill is located south of "North River," which is fed by Goldthwait's or Gardner's brook and Proctor's Brook. The map is of "Salem Village," because a distinction is being made between the area of general settlement, with numerous farmsteads, and the town of Salem on a neck of land between North River and South River. The place of execution is west of the town of Salem on it's neck of land--once again, look in the lower right-hand corner.
0 Replies

dave b

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 06:53 am
re
Hi. There is a Gallows Hill Park in Salem with a park and playground and that is what I wonder about, if it is the actual site. Will look into the info you just gave me. Thank you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 06:56 am
I'm comparing the 1866 Upham map to modern street and topographical maps of the area, and may be able to give you more specific information in a few minutes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 06:58 am
That's your location, Gallows Hill Park, about 500 yards northwest of Salem Hospital, with access from Proctor Street.
0 Replies

dave b

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 07:02 am
re
Thanks. I remember Proctor street now as the access road up the hill. I thought at first that it would be too good to be true, that the site would actually be named Gallows Hill Park, or that it could have been where people mistakenly thought that the site was there. Thanks again. Will take a drive up that way soon, once again. I will have to check out some sites in Danvers, too, which I have not done yet.
0 Replies

dave b

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 07:27 am
re
So does that W on the map comport with our known location of Gallows Hill Park, off Proctor St? It seems to but I want to know what you think.
0 Replies

dave b

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 07:28 am
re
You already answered that so please disregard. I was not keeping up with reading the new posts
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 07:30 am
I'm surprised that there isn't an hysterical marker, or lots of indicators that Gallows Hill is the place of execution. According to this article in the Boston Globe Arthur Miller was surprised in 1953 that no one in Salem wanted to talk about the witch trials. (He was doing research for his play The Crucible, which eventually became popular, and which is today considered a classic, both for its style and its inferential condemnation of the HUAC and McCarthy "witch-hunts" in the 1950s.) The article contends that "witch tourism" only slowly came to Salem.
0 Replies

dave b

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 07:49 am
re
I agree with you, as there was never any reason for modern folks to be ashamed of what happened, since they were not the ones executing people as witches. And now I think the witch thing is overdone and really commericialized. The police deparment shoulder patch says Salem: Witch City, and features a witch riding a broom. A little dramatic. But people are quick to see the commercial values in any tragedy, no matter how long ago it occurred. So Salem has really capitalized, literally, on the events of 1692. Another thing that is interesting is that there were many other occurrences of this kind before and after 1692 and a lot of people think that this happened in 1692 only once. But before and after, there were executions going on, and not just in Salem, as you know.....thanks for all the info and insight....
0 Replies