What are some military movies you like, as well as the ones you didn't like?

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:11 pm
Over the years I've seen many movies that had some type of military connection. Some were war movies. Some were special forces movies. Some were movies of a single mission. Some movies were impossible one man missions. Some were Navy movies. Some were Army movies. Some were Marine movies. Some were Air Force movies. Some were fiction. Some were based on a true story.

What are some military related movies you've seen and liked?

Also, what are some military related movies you've seen and didn't like?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 21 • Views: 6,542 • Replies: 124
Topic Closed

Real Music

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:31 pm
I liked the 2003 Bruce Willis movie "Tears of the Sun"

I did not like the 1990 movie "Navy Seals". I thought the Charlie Sheen character (Lt. Dale Hawkins) ruined the whole movie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:35 pm
Don't like:
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan

Do like:
Good Morning Vietnam
Born on the Fourth of July
Full Metal Jacket
Go For Broke
First Blood
Glory
Gone With the Wind
Viva Villa
Patton
The Killing Fields
Real Music

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:40 pm
I enjoyed Steven Seagal's 1992 movie "Under Siege"

I thought Chuck Norris 1985 movie "Invasion USA" was horrible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:49 pm
There are many more that I like, such as Sergeant York and To Hell and Back.

Real Music

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I didn't really care for ""Apocalpse Now" either.

I do like First Blood and the sequel Rambo.

I somewhat like "Full Metal Jacket". I especially like the early part of the movie of Boot camp. I heard that the actor who played the marine drill sergeant in the boot camp scenes was actually a real life marine drill sergeant.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:59 pm
I liked the movie "Black Hawk Down"

I also liked the Mel Gibson movie "We were Soldiers"
roger

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:05 am
@Real Music,
I liked Black Hawk Down, if only for the confused instructions before the raid. It seemed very typical of my own non combatant military experience. I admit to not having seen many military movies.
ossobucotemp

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Twelve O'Clock High - my dad provided the flight scenes and whatever related editing.
Real Music

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:15 am
The 1995 HBO movie "Tuskegee Airmen" is an excellent movie. This movie is based on a true story. The special effects may not be that good. The story and the actors were excellent.

The 2012 movie "Red Tail" was also based on a true story of the Tuskegee Airman. I didn't like this movie. Although the special effects were good, the story and the actors weren't that good.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:20 am
The movie "300" was good movie.

I heard people say good things about the "The Patriot", but I never saw it myself.
Roberta

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:21 am
I liked Patton and Sergeant York, for starters. More will come to me eventually.

I liked half of Apocalypse Now, hated the other half.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:22 am
@Real Music,
cough..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_O'Clock_High
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:23 am
@roger,
Quote:
I liked Black Hawk Down, if only for the confused instructions before the raid. It seemed very typical of my own non combatant military experience. I admit to not having seen many military movies.
This movie was based on a true story. I remember seeing news report of the real life event when it was happening.
glitterbag

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:38 am
@Real Music,
Run Silent Run Deep, 1958, I remember Clark Gable and those tense scenes as subs pass each other in complete silence. I haven't seen it in years and I hope it stands up to time, but it was one of my favorite Navy film.

Full Metal Jacket

Jar Head

I need to start thinking about some others
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:48 am
@Real Music,
Hello? My dad was head of photo for the army air force during the war and accessed those photos for filming later via the government.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:49 am
"A Few Good Men" bored me until it got near the end of the movie. When Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise character were going at each other. That was a classic scene.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 29 May, 2017 01:38 am

I'm going to like Dunkirk when it comes out this summer. But that's because I'm going to ensure that I see it in IMAX FILM (not any of those fake Digital LIEmax theaters).

It's not going to be worth seeing if you don't see it projected by some form of 70MM film.
Real Music

Mon 29 May, 2017 02:15 am
I enjoyed the 2011 science fiction movie "Battle: Los Angeles". A group of marines rescuing and evacuating a group of civilians while battling an alien invading force.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 29 May, 2017 02:34 am
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
Dr Strangelove
The Russians are Coming...
The 300
Catch 22
Gone With the Wind
Bridge Over the River Kwai
Patton

I know there are plenty more.

What was that epic movie with Steve McQ as a navy guy? Attenborough, Crenna?
The Sand Pebbles.
Doctor Zhivago
0 Replies