What are some military movies you like, as well as the ones you didn't like?

Real Music

Mon 29 May, 2017 03:07 am
I like John Wayne movie "The Green Berets"..

I also like Lee Marvin movie "The Dirty Dozen".
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 29 May, 2017 03:09 am
@oralloy,
you mean actual film?? Were at the tipping point where digital i about as detailed in resolution as film. Digital has long been waay better than film in color resolution. Thats why many of the Pixar kiddie/adult cartoons are much better as digital .

Film has one bigass cement block around its neck, and that is color chemistry. The tonal variations of dyes favor one side of the spectrum or another. It all boils down to birefringence of of the color of crystals going from yellow to blue.

So Id look at the entire host of problem in media projection and hope that digital resolution catches up more quickly and then digital will be faar superior in all ways
oralloy

Mon 29 May, 2017 03:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you mean actual film??

Yes. Specifically 70MM film. Anyone who doesn't see Dunkirk in some form of 70MM film may as well not bother to see the movie.

Preferably IMAX 70MM film, but Super Panavision 70 might suffice if someone can't reach a showing in IMAX.

Just know that the showings in Super Panavision 70 will have the top and bottom of the picture cropped off.

farmerman wrote:
Were at the tipping point where digital i about as detailed in resolution as film.

Not 70mm film. Not even close.

IMAX FILM: 11,666 x 8,438

Super Panavision 70: 8,093 x 3,683

4K digital: 4,096 x 2,160

2K digital: 2,048 x 1,080

Laser IMAX is 4K with the pixels stretched vertically.

Digital IMAX is 2K.

farmerman wrote:
Film has one bigass cement block around its neck, and that is color chemistry. The tonal variations of dyes favor one side of the spectrum or another. It all boils down to birefringence of of the color of crystals going from yellow to blue.

Dunkirk will be filmed at 11,666 x 8,438 resolution.

It will be edited and mastered at 11,666 x 8,438 resolution.

Anyone who doesn't see it projected in 11,666 x 8,438 resolution will only be seeing a pale shadow of the movie.
farmerman

Mon 29 May, 2017 04:12 am
@oralloy,
IRIS or many other digital formats are there , just not being used. I give you that film is still resolution superior but not for long . Formatting for film requires bigger investments whereas digital can make market design changes that affect all products made(Bigger market=bigger RD budgets)

As far as color, Digital color accuracy hqs no match. Film has a bigger dynamic range but most cameras and projector (film) dont emplow th digita prisms to actually do the range extensions. Digital is quickly solving that.
I shoot RAW formats in camera and do a lot of futzing post processing that impart a color environment that would take days of recomposing in film.

I think your extolling the virtues of "gangster walls" tires over 6ply radials. Radials keep getting better while gangster wall technology is stuck in the 50's.

I havent seen any teasers about Dunkirk. Historical movies , especially wars, have to have something special in "Creative Non Fiction" to be watchable. I never liked D Day because it was attempting to be a history lesson with too much informqtion to be entertaining (for me). Whereas Ken Burns, in his "Civil War" series, turned that work into a presentation of art, music and irrelevancies and became, to me, the classic that it is. Patton came close, good editing, not too much history and lying where entertainment needed it.

Dunkirk has a big task ahead in my mind.

jespah

Mon 29 May, 2017 04:27 am
I tend to prefer POW escape films as I like the ingenuity that goes into them. So I'm big on The Great Escape and Stalag 17. Von Ryan's Express is okay but not wonderful. I also like Das Boot. To me, it's the best of the submarine films. Oh, and the original Flight of the Phoenix.
Phoenix32890

Mon 29 May, 2017 05:09 am
Saving Private Ryan bored me silly. I loved Band of Brothers.
oralloy

Mon 29 May, 2017 05:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I give you that film is still resolution superior but not for long.

I am not aware of any plans to go beyond 4K digital projection.

It would take 8K to match Super Panavision 70.

It would take 12K to match the horizontal resolution of IMAX film. It would take 16K to match the vertical resolution of IMAX film. And since proper IMAX has a huge screen height, all of that vertical resolution is important.

I do agree though that a more normal film that is only 4K to begin with is best viewed with a 4K digital projector.

But Dunirk isn't going to be a normal film. They went to huge expense to record this at a massive resolution.

Only four theatrical films have ever been made preserving the high resolution of IMAX film all the way to the projector:

The Dark Knight by Christopher Nolan

The Dark Knight Rises by Christopher Nolan

Interstellar by Christopher Nolan

Dunkirk by Christopher Nolan

farmerman wrote:
I havent seen any teasers about Dunkirk.

Setanta

Mon 29 May, 2017 05:32 am
The Red Badge of Courage is excellent. My only beef with it is that it looks like southern California, and not Virginia. That's a problem with most movies, though.

Otherwise, I'm not that big a fan of the genre--especially these days, where it appears that the directors/producers are having a gross out contest. I saw enough of that in real life.

I prefer animated motion pictures, the goofier, the betterer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 29 May, 2017 05:38 am
@oralloy,
I admit Im not a big SUpervillain /hero fan. Ive passed em all up. I actually liked the TV show about the young Superman as he discovers his powers and they get gradually revealed. Otherwise, same **** different screen.
DUnkirk looks interesting, anything with a sailboat and Im there.
jespah

Mon 29 May, 2017 05:39 am
@oralloy,
It's a great trailer; I'm not so sure I'd want to see it on the big screen (although I realize that's what it's made for) - it's more that it would be loud.
Lash

Mon 29 May, 2017 05:47 am
@Phoenix32890,
Is there a movie? I thought just the HBO series. Really loved that!
oralloy

Mon 29 May, 2017 06:38 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
it's more that it would be loud.

Wear earplugs.
farmerman

Mon 29 May, 2017 06:45 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

It would take 12K to match the horizontal resolution of IMAX film. It would take 16K to match the vertical resolution of IMAX film. And since proper IMAX has a huge screen height, all of that vertical resolution is important.
16 K dig cameras already have resolutions of 15360 X 8640 so, like I said, technology aint far behind in one arena and is superior in the color department
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 29 May, 2017 07:07 am
@oralloy,
It's loud and in your face - I have issues I won't get into but it's likely a big, noisy film of any sort will trigger them.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 29 May, 2017 08:06 am
In no particular order (and not a complete list - I'm a big movie addict), I like:
Glory
The Patriot
Crimson Tide
Fury
Saving Private Ryan
Last of the Mohicans
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Kelly's Heroes
Valkyrie
The Tuskegee Airmen
Courage Under Fire
Defiance
U-571
Troy

I don't like:
Jarhead
Apocalypse Now
The Hurt Locker
We Were Soldiers
Patton
Good Morning Vietnam
The Dirty Dozen
Black Hawk Down
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 29 May, 2017 08:31 am
Inglorious Basterds - liked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 29 May, 2017 09:01 am
There are so many I can't recall them all.
Two more don't likes:
Sniper
The Green Berets (attempt to equate Vietnam to WWII)

A Few Good Men
Red Ball Express
Seven Days in May
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 29 May, 2017 09:09 am
"Men of Honor" starring Cuba Gooding Jr and Robert De Niro is a very good movie.

I didn't particular care for "The Hunt for Red October"
0 Replies

snood

Mon 29 May, 2017 10:17 am
Dang - forgot all about Men of Honor and A Few Good Men - like those a lot...
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 29 May, 2017 10:37 am
I REALLY didn't like Sniper.
I enjoyed the beginning of Enemy at the Gates, but not the end product.

Couldn't like Terence Malick's The Thin Red Line, but I think that places me in a minority.

There's a Brad Pitt vehicle goading me from Netflix, War Machine. Supposed to be a satire of the fog of war featuring the paradox of counterinsurgency; takes a swipe at the Obama doctrine.

Today, I think.
0 Replies