What are some military movies you like, as well as the ones you didn't like?

farmerman

Mon 29 May, 2017 10:55 pm
@oralloy,
We differ a bit on Interstellr. Im actully hoping for an I-2, where they sort out all the loose ends and produce on what they promised in I-1.
I liked it but found it kinda needing more. Youve forgiven Interstellar its science mistakes yet dumped over Gravity's .
A ride is a ride, so they get some roaad signs wrong, I love the CGI .
Jever notice how long the CGI staff credits keep getting on these movies.
My wife and I are Credit nuts, we will sit in an empty theater goofing on credits like those puppets on MS3K. We dont get out much
coluber2001

Mon 29 May, 2017 11:05 pm
The Old Gringo--Ambrose Bierce goes to Mexico and joins the Revolution. Completely fictionalized speculation of his last days.

All Quiet on the Western Front--both versions are good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 29 May, 2017 11:31 pm
I ought to have included All Quiet on the Western Front, but I hadn't thought of it. The modern version with John-boy Walton didn't do much for me, although casting Ernest Borgnine as Kat was brilliant. But the 1930 Lew Ayres/Louis Wolheim version is brilliant, and had some truly inspired cinematography--something the 1979 version didn't excel at. At each new stage in the career of Paul, there would be a scene which I think of as a "picture postcard" image. The central characters are gathered in a wine bar, and the passersby and vehicle in the street pass by as framed by an open doorway. Another time, the boys are gathered in a bomb-proof and you see people passing through the trench outside, once again, framed by an opening. Of course, being 1930, the studio had no problem hiring the "cast of thousands" for scenes of the French assault, or the Germans going over the top. The 1979 version seemed to me to suffer a lack of imagination.
coluber2001

Tue 30 May, 2017 12:36 am
Another one I just remembered is "Letters from Iwo Jima" directed by, I think, Clint Eastwood. It's the war from the Japanese side. Excellent and a refreshing way of looking at it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 30 May, 2017 01:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Interstellar

Off topic for a war movie thread. I'm going to direct my reply to one of your posts in the thread about that movie.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 30 May, 2017 03:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
DUnkirk looks interesting, anything with a sailboat and Im there.

The first eventful date in my army career was the eve of the final evacuation from Dunkirk, when Iwas sent to the O.P. at Galley Hill to help the cook. I had only been in the Army twenty-four hours when it happened. Each news bulletin from BBC told an increasingly depressing story. Things were
indeed very grave. For days previously we could hear the distant sound of explosions and heavy gunfire from across the Channel. Sitting in a crude wood O.P. heaped with earth at two in the morning with a Ross Rifle with only five rounds made you feel so bloody useless in relation to what was goingon the other side. Five rounds of ammo, and that was between the whole O.P. The day of the actual Dunkirk evacuation the Channel was like a piece of polished steel. I’d never seen a sea so calm. One would say it was miraculous. I presume that something like this had happened to create the ‘Angel of Mons’ legend.

That afternoon Bombardier Andrews and I went down for a swim. It would appear we were the only two people on the south coast having one. With the distant booms, the still sea, and just two figures on the landscape, it all seemed very very strange. We swam in silence. Occasionally, a squadron of Spitfires or Hurricanes headed out towards France. I remember so clearly, Bombardier Andrews standing up in the water, putting his hands on his hips, and gazing towards where the B.E.F. was fighting for its life. It was the first time I’d seen genuine concern on a British soldier’s face; “I can’t see how they’re going to get ‘em out,” he said. We sat in the warm water for while. We felt so helpless. Next day the news of the ‘small armada’ came through on the afternoon news.

As the immensity of the defeat became apparent, somehow the evacuation turned it into a strange victory. I don’t think the nation ever reached such a feeling of solidarity as in that week at an, other time during the war. Three weeks afterwards, a Bombardier Kean, who had survived the evacuation, was posted to us. “What was it like,” I asked him.
“Like son? It was a **** up, a highly successful **** up."

Spike Milligan Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 30 May, 2017 04:23 am
@Setanta,
Yes. The original was very good. (All Quiet on the Western Front)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 30 May, 2017 05:09 am
The Beast
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 30 May, 2017 05:51 am
The complex perspective via Brando in The Young Lions was pretty compelling.
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 30 May, 2017 06:07 am
Since You Went Away - WWII from the women's perspective. Also, The Best Years of Our Lives.
Phoenix32890

Tue 30 May, 2017 06:37 am
@Lash,
Band of Brothers is a series...........................but when you are into serial bingeing, it rather seems like one looooong movie!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:39 am
Catch 22

A bitterly sarcastic look at the military bureaucracy and the military-industrial complex. A black comedy that's so true it's impossible to laugh at. A lot of people were upset because it didn't follow the book closely enough, an impossibility. The movie had an independent and separate life and message in its own right.

MASH, the movie, came out the same year. It wasn't any good at all. The television series was 10 times better.
0 Replies

Roberta

Tue 30 May, 2017 12:55 pm
American Sniper.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 30 May, 2017 01:00 pm
Don't know how I missed Catch 22. It's based on one of my favorite novels.

I read M*A*S*H* about a year before the movie came out. I have a copy and rewatch it every three or four years.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 30 May, 2017 01:00 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Since You Went Away - WWII from the women's perspective. Also, The Best Years of Our Lives.

If that isn't a natural for the "Weld two horrible things together." thread, I don't know what is.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 30 May, 2017 01:27 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
...The Best Years of Our Lives.

I forgot about that, which is quite strange since I still have the VHS tape of it, even though, I no longer have a VCR. (just can't part with it I suppose)
0 Replies

George

Tue 30 May, 2017 02:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
Twelve O'Clock High - my dad provided the flight scenes and whatever
related editing.

That was a great movie.

I once attended a management class which used it to illustrate various
leadership styles and how they apply to organizational issues.
ossobucotemp

Tue 30 May, 2017 02:23 pm
@George,
I didn't explain quite right. Through the war, me a baby or toddler, my dad was head of photo for the USAAF, based in Dayton, but with some roaming all over the US at different bases. He had gotten work when young as an early film editor (in the late '20s, far as I know).

His life turned out to be complicated, but, in the case of Twelve O'Clock High, he was able to obtain real flight films via his then clearance or whatever, and edit for the movie.
I didn't mean that all the flight scenes in the movie had his touch, just the real film ones.

mmm, now I want to check out Twelve O again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 30 May, 2017 02:39 pm
How I Won the War had some moments, but mostly it was a mess.
glitterbag

Tue 30 May, 2017 03:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sgt. York, everyone should see it at least once.