RIP Roger Moore, 89...

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 07:54 am
Quote:
Sir Roger Moore, the actor famed for portraying James Bond in seven "007" films between 1973 and 1985,
has died after a battle with cancer, according to his family. He was 89.

"We know our own love and admiration will be magnified many times over, across the world, by people who knew him
for his films, his television shows and his passionate work for UNICEF which he considered to be his greatest achievement,"
his children, Deborah, Geoffrey and Christian, said in a statement.

The family will hold a private funeral in Monaco, per his wishes, the statement said.
(cnn)

Blickers

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:02 am
Man, he was cool, wasn't he? You knew he was going to get the James Bond gig after Sean Connery left because he played the same character in The Saint so beautifully. Funny thing is, his father was a cop, even though Moore on the screen had that smooth, bemused manner of someone who came from a long line of aristocracy.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:06 am
@Region Philbis,
Well, I think he had an enjoyable life. He was the Bond I grew up with. "The Man With the Golden Gun" remains my favorite 007 movie.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:15 am
@Blickers,
He was brought up in South London, not a priviledged part of town by any means. His dad got him his first job, he was the officer dealing with a robbery on a film set who asked the director if there were any openings for his son.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:46 am
@izzythepush,
He had a great career, but for one blemish, for which I forgive him. When James Garner was deciding to leave the Maverick TV show, they brought in Moore as cousin Beau Maverick. But, to fans, he was no Maverick, no matter how many episodes they put him in. No reflection on the man. He was miscast.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:56 am
@edgarblythe,
He pretty much played himself, but was always a gift to impressionists.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 09:00 am
I never enjoyed this guy on the screen.

For me, Bond requires a cosmic mix of suave and steel. Moore, to me, was heavy on the suave and too light on the steel for Bond. I think Sean Connery ruined it for me. He was perfect.

I can't figure out how Daniel Craig is so appealing in the role. For me, Craig and Connery were the only two that worked as Bond. (I'd love Idris Elba to have a go at the role.)

Moore was quite a looker in the 70s.

Later in his life, I read accounts of his philanthropy and respected him. He left the world a little better than he found it, and that's more than most people can say.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 10:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I vaguely remember the "Maverick brother" with the brit accent. Never bought it. My Dad used to gag his beer at Beau.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 11:43 am
Never cottoned to Moore as Bond, James Bond, I suppose I was too much of a believer in the Connery version.

For myself, Roger Moore will eternally be Simon Templar, The Saint. I enjoyed that show and his portrayal.

May he rest in peace.
0 Replies

SteveMun

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 03:32 am
@Region Philbis,
RIP
Great actor, great person.
0 Replies