How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:07 am
Blatham-

Female catholics I hope.
Garrity dancing is the actions involved in descending the stairs,knees together,after taking a BRAD and discovering the chocolate starfish cleaning tackle unstaffed.It takes its name from the lead singer of Freddy and the Dreamers who danced in like manner during performances.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:57 am
Actually,it is a fascinating story how Satan got into the world.It wasn,t anything like smuggling.It was philosophy in the service of power politics in the raw.Long before Cambridge as a named object.
Is it allowed to raise less than the last bet?
The dance Blatham superficially describes is known as the Trip the Clite Fantastic.Its a sort of prelude or overture
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 04:59 am
Lola-
How does Blatham know that the CPD have pink bottoms?Maybe its that monkey business or maybe he knows them better than he's letting on.

spendius.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:21 am
Quote:
How does Blatham know that the CPD have pink bottoms?

How do you know?

Tripe the Clite Fantastic.......very funny. I have good reason to believe Blatham may know more about this dance that his superficial description indicates.

Freddie and the Dreamers...do I remember them? I fear my memory is fading with age.

And yes, Dubya is one of the Texas tribulationists........but he's far from the worst. Trust me. You do not want to get into it. And I'm very happy to learn that the CPD is not as bad as that. I was all worried for the people of GB.

I haven't studied Veblen, sad to say. I've just (briefly) checked him out on the web. Cute guy. Coined the term "conspicuous consumption," a trait of my own which I guiltily admit. (evidenced by the dusting of the Baccarat) Blatham says I'm competitive.....and I suppose I am.

I only read Weber in college.....sociology major. I've read and studied almost all of Freud but more of the contemporary psychoanalysts as well. Congratulations for your expertise on Dylan facts, I bow to your knowledge. I've only read two biographies and listened for years to his work. Interesting man. Difficult, I understand. And yes, he's everybody's and a great philosopher, only now he's turned fanatical evangelical Christian, a development in his life with which I have difficulty.

And, yes, I realize I'm suspect, knowing so little of the CPD......however this may be considered some of the evidence you're seeking about their cost effective value. So few of us know about them.......or even thought about them, for that matter. But I also hope for some input on this thread from one of their membership. I would love to know more, now you've brought up the subject.

And Andy is someone I've never met. Pity.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:47 am
Did Spendius go to the pub early tonight? Hummmm.......
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:17 am
No.

Its the thread lag.Why don't you lot go to GMT.You have night lighting don't you?We close down here at 1600 GMT and 1200 on Sat.The weekend and early evening is study time. The pub is where I go late on to slow myself down.
I think that the CPD are windy.
Truth to tell I've not really decided what this thread is all about.I could have chosen other things to have a shot at.I'm practicing threading so I need a sensible subject which isn't threadbare.What I needed was a sitting duck.Due to my religious belief in the laws of thermodynamics I'm not one for stalking.Stalking takes up energy wastefully.An energy loss like that has the necessity of having to shoot more ducks to make up the deficit than is the case with sitting ducks and,as an animal lover,that I consider unethical.Sitting ducks are what animal lovers pot.And besides sitting ducks are more likely to be fat and thus even less have to be potted.On top of that stalking is sneaky.All that creeping about.And if I owned a performing duck I wouldn't pot it on account of my loving it even if it was having a good sit.Its the pointless,fat,sitting ducks I'm after.I'd be doing the duck species a favour to boot because the fat,lazy ones must slow them all down on their long migration trips.
So all in all when I cast around in the ambit of my ken the CPD loomed large.
There's also the not insignificant point that sitting ducks have a tendency to look down their noses at the worms on the ground.
I know that the CPD tries to avoid that stuff when they are on some arty feeding frenzy like a TV programme or a slippery book review for one of their own to top up their already incredible salaries but when they are "in hall" and they get at the port and venison us workers don't half get it in the neck."The B1 marketing niche",and that's for senior officers,with an understated sneer type of thing.
Threading is a bit like going to a new pub.It takes a while to sort out who's worth talking to and who isn't.
Take Xior for instance.A sodding streaker.Thank goodness the security staff have led him off the field of play.I'm all in favour of a special thread for streakers but they should keep off the playing area of philosophers. Call it the Goofing Off thread.

A quote to mull over from Spinoza-"The less men know of nature the more easily can they coin fictitious ideas."

spendius.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:40 am
it is my own experience that philosophizing is the 'hardest' work i ever do!

is it fair to 'dis' the 'pros', simply because they have grown a veil over the process to enable them to run at a 'controlled burn', rather than being 'on call' at all times?

[surely i am not having the 'cashmere' pulled over my visual acuity, am i?]
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:16 am
BoGoWo man-

You ain't ever dug any ditches then.

Assertions are for the Goof Off channel.

You must have been born with a silver shovel in your mouth.Its the luck of the draw.Is this "hardest work" thingy a drain on scarce resources.If it is watch it.Elections are getting more and more refined and savings are being hunted down by experts.Value for money is the new watchword.Democracy works like that.

Give us a clue.What do they do to justify what they cost in quantifiable benefit to the voter.They sacked 100,000 miners just for starters on cost benefit analysis.Coal's cheaper in other places.What the hell does "fair" have to do with it.Its not a word I come across now I don't play netball anymore.

Best wishes

spendius.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:06 pm
economic theories based on thermodynamics have utility when considering time spent. It's true. And sitting ducks, especially lazy, sitting ducks are useful to draw folks in. It's a good set up to have people come to you, if you can, and it looks like you can. Nice technique.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:17 am
Surely if professional philosophers do anything it must be of supreme importance.They have been known as "philosopher kings".The idea that their conclusions can be ignored or discredited by two-bit politicians,newspaper editors and suchlike is ridiculous.They must have some sort of generalised control,even if it is unseen,over the basic trends the society which pays for them out of its scarce resources adopts.Thus what has happened over the years is down to them.If it isn't then it is axiomatic that they are wasting their time from every point of view apart from the personal self indulgence of the practitioners of the art.
Threaders on this channel are hereby invited to suggest what are the tectonic movements that have taken place over the last 50 years say and which are thus the responsibility of professional philosophers given the assumption we began with.
If that assumption is false the matter rests at setting fire to cash but always remembering that cash is generated from sweat.
It is worth bearing in mind that things not done have been so chosen.

First suggestion-The motor car is in the process of crushing our shared
humanity into dust.

spendius.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:23 pm
must sleep now...........will consider first suggestion in the morning.......

night all
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 07:04 am
I'm not all that bad.
Last night a famous ex editor of a famous newspaper was on the news (SKY) calling for the scrapping of the BBC.And the BBC employs thousands and they do do something that we get a quantifiable benefit from that we can see and hear.
They put the English language out to the world and that's no small thing.
Where are our paid philosophers.Is it not their job to come out and shoot down that type of mush.To explain why its important to spread the English language.
Yesterday the BBC announced 3000 job cuts and another 2000 relocated 200 miles from where they are settled.Meanwhile the CPD sails serenely on laying the flattering unction on their souls unto satiation without a backward glance.
It was said in the news item that the BBC was to be "subjected to the biggest shake up in its history" and its a long and distinguished history.What about a shake up at the CPD?How much is their license fee?
Why didn't they come out and adjudicate on the foxhunting debate.Anybody with the slightest philosophical training knows that the anti-hunting brigade haven't a leg to stand on in a serious forum.I'm not going to explain why because it would shock all the little luvvies to have it discovered to them.It might spoil their Kwismas to find out what sweet hypocrites and attention seekers and trouble makers they all are.
And the CPD must know.If they don't that's a good enough reason for a shake up on its own.That would lead to a suspicion of purloining money by deception.They don't think its important enough do they?Oh dear!The House of Lords does and so do the MPs who voted with the hunters.
There's a certain type of parenting which sees exposure to such things as foxhunting as being of direct national interest.The idea that that type of parenting should die out and the whole nation consist of nothing but cute little,virtuous,do-gooding luvvies is surely heresy.Premier league heresy at that.Isn't it the CPD's task to root out heresy.
I trust philosophy threaders are not daft enough to think that once fox hunting is banned the antis will all go quietly home.What with the taste of victory and being on telly sloshing around their egos.How many little defencelss creatures of God's creation are killed and mutilated when a field is ploughed or house foundations are dug.Just one of each.
Just imagine a battle group in the mid-east consisting of principled anti hunters.
No-don't.Its too awful to contemplate.It would be the CPD writ large.

spendius.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 07:59 am
So Bush and his fundamentalists are at work on the BBC as well?

Or is it simply contagious? When oh when will the backlash come? How many will be hurt or destroyed before it finally happens? We're living in the Dark Ages (for those literal minded lurkers, of whom we have enough on a2k......that was a metaphor).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:09 am
Quote-

BENEFITS OF FAITH-BASED ORGANIZATIONS VI

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Hand over that hamburger - it's a violation of the law. That's the message from Israeli government inspectors, checking plates of food on restaurant tables and confiscating bread and other leavened products, enforcing a strict religious edict that is also an Israeli law.

Jewish law dictates that during the weeklong holiday of Passover, which began Saturday night, Jews must not possess, much less eat, bread or other products with leaven in them. But in Tel Aviv, where the overwhelming majority of residents are nonobservant Jews, many restaurants continue serving the forbidden food. They used to get away with it. Now they're facing the bread police.

With the ultra-Orthodox Jewish Shas party in charge of the Interior Ministry, the edict is being enforced in a way that angers even the lawmakers who wrote it.

Explaining the raids, ministry spokesman Itzik Sudri said, "This law exists to safeguard the Jewish character of the state, and we intend to enforce it."

Source: http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010411/04/int-israel-passover-raid

That's philosophers for you.
Where's ours to safeguard the English character?

spendius.With thanks to Lola.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:22 am
Spendius,

Yours, it seems, are chasing the BBC. Look for a similar happening in the U.S. for NPR and PBS. Only here, there's talk of the discontinuance of all government funding.

And here as in GB, our philosophers in Academia are afraid to call attention to themselves, for fear of similar treatment.

In Iraq, a "tenured" Sargent was strapped to a gurney and shipped to a mental hospital when he reported witnessing the torture of prisoners in Abu Ghraib........the psychiatrist was instructed to find a diagnosis which included the the designation of some type of paranoia. See what you get when you speak up these days?

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/12/08/coverup/

And on another note........here's family values for ya.

http://www.aaup.org/publications/Academe/2004/04nd/04ndlobe.htm

And I thank you as well.

P.S. I couldn't get to the news item you linked from here......am I doing something wrong?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:46 am
More evidence of the BENEFITS OF FAITH-BASED ORGANIZATIONS VI

Quote:
Scene 5

'Burn the witch!'

MONKS: [chanting]
Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem.
[bonk]
Pie Iesu domine,...
[bonk]
...dona eis requiem.
[bonk]
Pie Iesu domine,...
[bonk]
...dona eis requiem.
CROWD:
A witch! A witch!
[bonk]
A witch! A witch!
MONKS: [chanting]
Pie Iesu domine...
CROWD:
A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch! A witch! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! We've found a witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch!
VILLAGER #1:
We have found a witch. May we burn her?

CROWD:
Burn her! Burn! Burn her! Burn her!
BEDEVERE:
How do you know she is a witch?
VILLAGER #2:
She looks like one.
CROWD:
Right! Yeah! Yeah!
BEDEVERE:
Bring her forward.
WITCH:
I'm not a witch. I'm not a witch.
BEDEVERE:
Uh, but you are dressed as one.

WITCH:
They dressed me up like this.
CROWD:
Augh, we didn't! We didn't...
WITCH:
And this isn't my nose. It's a false one.
BEDEVERE:
Well?
VILLAGER #1:
Well, we did do the nose.
BEDEVERE:
The nose?
VILLAGER #1:
And the hat, but she is a witch!
VILLAGER #2:
Yeah!
CROWD:
We burn her! Right! Yeaaah! Yeaah!
BEDEVERE:
Did you dress her up like this?
VILLAGER #1:
No!
VILLAGER #2 and 3:
No. No.
VILLAGER #2:
No.
VILLAGER #1:
No.
VILLAGERS #2 and #3:
No.
VILLAGER #1:
Yes.
VILLAGER #2:
Yes.
VILLAGER #1:
Yes. Yeah, a bit.
VILLAGER #3:
A bit.
VILLAGERS #1 and #2:
A bit.
VILLAGER #3:
A bit.
VILLAGER #1:
She has got a wart.
RANDOM:
[cough]
BEDEVERE:
What makes you think she is a witch?
VILLAGER #3:
Well, she turned me into a newt.
BEDEVERE:
A newt?
VILLAGER #3:
I got better.
VILLAGER #2:
Burn her anyway!
VILLAGER #1:
Burn!
CROWD:
Burn her! Burn! Burn her!...
BEDEVERE:
Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
VILLAGER #1:
Are there?
VILLAGER #2:
Ah?
VILLAGER #1:
What are they?
CROWD:
Tell us! Tell us!...
BEDEVERE:
Tell me. What do you do with witches?
VILLAGER #2:
Burn!
VILLAGER #1:
Burn!
CROWD:
Burn! Burn them up! Burn!...
BEDEVERE:
And what do you burn apart from witches?
VILLAGER #1:
More witches!
VILLAGER #3:
Shh!
VILLAGER #2:
Wood!
BEDEVERE:
So, why do witches burn?
[pause]
VILLAGER #3:
B--... 'cause they're made of... wood?
BEDEVERE:
Good! Heh heh.
CROWD:
Oh, yeah. Oh.
BEDEVERE:
So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?
VILLAGER #1:
Build a bridge out of her.
BEDEVERE:
Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?
VILLAGER #1:
Oh, yeah.
RANDOM:
Oh, yeah. True. Uhh...
BEDEVERE:
Does wood sink in water?
VILLAGER #1:
No. No.
VILLAGER #2:
No, it floats! It floats!
VILLAGER #1:
Throw her into the pond!
CROWD:
The pond! Throw her into the pond!
BEDEVERE:
What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1:
Bread!
VILLAGER #2:
Apples!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, very small rocks!
VILLAGER #1:
Cider!
VILLAGER #2:
Uh, gra-- gravy!
VILLAGER #1:
Cherries!
VILLAGER #2:
Mud!
VILLAGER #3:
Uh, churches! Churches!
VILLAGER #2:
Lead! Lead!
ARTHUR:
A duck!
CROWD:
Oooh.
BEDEVERE:
Exactly. So, logically...
VILLAGER #1:
If... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made of wood.
BEDEVERE:
And therefore?
VILLAGER #2:
A witch!
VILLAGER #1:
A witch!
CROWD:
A witch! A witch!...
VILLAGER #4:
Here is a duck. Use this duck.
[quack quack quack]
BEDEVERE:
Very good. We shall use my largest scales.
CROWD:
Ohh! Ohh! Burn the witch! Burn the witch! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Ahh! Ahh...
BEDEVERE:
Right. Remove the supports!
[whop]
[clunk]
[creak]

CROWD:
A witch! A witch! A witch!
WITCH:
It's a fair cop.
VILLAGER #3:
Burn her!
CROWD:
Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn! Burn!...
BEDEVERE:
Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?
ARTHUR:
I am Arthur, King of the Britons.
BEDEVERE:
My liege!
ARTHUR:
Good Sir Knight, will you come with me to Camelot and join us at the Round Table?
BEDEVERE:
My liege! I would be honored.
ARTHUR:
What is your name?
BEDEVERE:
'Bedevere', my liege.
ARTHUR:
Then I dub you 'Sir Bedevere, Knight of the Round Table'.

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/grail/grail-05.htm
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:49 am
Lola-

All slept up now.Knitted up the 'ravelled sleeve of care?

Thanks for link.A brillo pad.
Looks like we have these threads to ourselves with just an odd interruption from Vancouver.

The backlash will come when the joint goes bust and that's only a matter of time.

"False hearted judges dyin' in the webs that they spin,
Only a matter of time 'til night comes steppin' in."
Jokerman.

I had hoped you would be gracious enough to favour me with an interpretation of my imp dream.
I shudder at the idea of blatham getting in first.

I don't suppose you have ever seen TV programmes with no advertising.There's a symbiosis between the programme content and the ads worked out by psychologists and market researchers and accountants.Its disgusting.Fancy taking a 22 year long education off the steel workers and the miners and the farmers and then turning on them and their children with a ferocity that's only legal because the blood is hidden from
view.How do they sleep?

spendius.

PS Is "the Word" itself ironic?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:02 am
dream interpretation to follow, after breakfast.

but dream interpretation is interactive and requires the dreamer's associations along the way.......
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:09 am
Quote:
Looks like we have these threads to ourselves with just an odd interruption from Vancouver.

This is a a natural function of thermodymanics, I believe. It seems that playing with you requires a tough skin. I'm not complaining, you understand......simply making the odd observation.

Dare I refer you to this thread? Will you behave? hehehe Razz

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40045&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=330
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:25 am
The Dark Queen of Manhattan can do no wrong.

spendius.
0 Replies