How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

Ethel2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
goody goody gumdrops on the gladdy gladdy goodstyle.

More to come, I'm sure.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:35 am
Who is this Mathos person? Do you know him?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:20 pm
Lola wrote:
Who is this Mathos person? Do you know him?

Who killed Davey Moore,
Why an' what's the reason for?

'Not me,' say's the boxing writer,
Sayin,' 'Boxin ain't to blame,
There's just as much danger in a football game.'
Sayin', 'Fist fighting is here to stay,
It's just the old American way.
It wasn't me that made him fall.
No, you can't blame me at all.'

Who killed Davy Moore,
Why an' what's the reason for?
'Not me,' says the man whose fists
Laid him low in a cloud of mist,
Who came here from Cuba's door
Where boxing ain't allowed no more.
'I hit him, yes its true,
But that's what I am paid to do.
Don't say " murder, " don't say " kill. "
It was destiny, it was God's will.'

Who killed Davey Moore,
Why an what's the reason for?

ZIMMERMAN.

Problem here is both characters have been in the same room too long.
This is responsible for creating the dual egomania which is 'Oh so apparent' to the viewer. He decides to make the cookies crumble, and crumble they do, with hysteria. Spendius becomes 'Scaramouche' whilst Lola, careful to maintain her dignity, retreats to The Coffee Shop, and even The East Coast, to see if the dust will settle. She'd no doubt sooner face The Apache and Cheyenne than Mathos. Besides, there are forts and cavalry every 500 yards so it wasn't proving a point.

'Who is this Mathos person? Do you know him?"

Well Mathos is an Englishman
Of that there be no doubt.
Spendius a Yorkshireman,
Who Mathos likes to clout.

Lola is the lady
And ladies like to play
But when it gets a little rough
She want's to run away.!

They fetch in Cyracuz
He does not last to long,
A Norseman, Odin, thats no good
Mathos sings the song!

Well Mathos gets the cheers and prize
The fools they are no more
Lola's in The Coffee Shop
Spendi and Cyra,
Bloodied on;
'The Floor.'
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:14 pm
Claiming victory are you Mathos? Hummmmmmmm.......

What can we surmise you are up to? Or did I find you out?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:27 pm
Lola wrote:
Claiming victory are you Mathos? Hummmmmmmm.......

What can we surmise you are up to? Or did I find you out?

The seek him here,
They seek him there.
They all seek Mathos everywhere,
Some look east, others west,
Mathos has no time to rest!

Surfing, scouting, having fun,
On his hip a silver gun,
Shooting north, shooting south,
Shooting the learned !!! ??? Ha ha ha,
In the mouth.

In every forum,
In every land
I change my name,
I make my stand!

A week or two
That's all I need
For Mathos notes each little creed !

Dancing, prancing;
A left and a right,
Knock them out and say;
"Goodnight"
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 09:04 am
Lola:-
I know people from what they say or do.I know you a bit.I know all the threaders a bit.I know the pub crowd(?) a bit.The same applies to all of us.We all know each other a bit.The problems start to arise when somebody thinks they know us a lot but that tells us more about the somebody than it does about the rest of us.People tell lies as you know.They have all sorts of reasons but the usual one is that they are trying to invent themselves for themselves as something or other which they would presumably prefer to be.It shows up best when humilty is least in evidence.We are all big soft namby-pambies underneath our armours and as a well evolved microbe I am the first to admit it.
I don't like pain.
You must have read Reik's Masochism in Man.I read it oh so long ago.Do you know it.
I do know that any boxer who hasn't been beat up in the ring is going to be a champion.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:03 am
Hey folks-cyracuz is laying into philosophers on the Philosophers Jukebox channel.I'm not alone.My momentum is building.Pretty soon the High Table will be shaking with the nervous tics.All that hard earned taxpayers money going down a dark tube.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:09 am
I haven't read Reik's piece on masochism, but I do know it when I see it [masochism]. It's never found without sadism. That's why it's usually referenced these days as sadomasochism. I agree we're all little softies underneath and easily hurt. I hope you're doing well. It looks like Mathos has said good by.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:18 am
Hello Little Chuckle:-

I have been having some fun while you've been away.Stirring the gunk up with a big paddle.Have you caught any of it?

I'm not sure about the aristo though.Sometimes they get called away to hold the Duke's mirror.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
I'll have a look.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:12 am

Take your time.Take all night.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:50 am
I found myself drawn in to a 30 minute scan of this thread - with elements ranging from the analysis of McGentrix' avatar, to the odd, but very interesting hostility of Mathos and the extended conversation between Spendius and Lola, and more.

I truly enjoyed it and thank you all for that. At times I felt I was listening in on a private conversation, but, with practised agility, I overcame what inhibitions were left. I wish you well.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:07 am
GB1:-

Pretty good innit?

Lola makes it though.I'm just the oil rag.

It might get better.Especially if you came in on it now and again.Lola loves rivalry.It makes her feel a little Camelot.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:35 am
george......welcome. And don't forget the MG. A little rivalry is nice, I agree
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:06 am
Lola is a natural Gwenivere. I'll stay, buit only if I can play Launcelot
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:34 am
Lancelot had the strength of 10 because his heart was pure..........now who do you know with a purely pure heart? I think it must have been an exaggeration.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:44 am
You have a delightful conversation going here and I will be glad to join it under most any circumstances (no Galahad though - he was a prig).

I like to contemplate the intersection between the mysteries of our existence and the boundaries of physics. However even the briefest of readings or discussions of what passes among academics for philosophy puts me in an irritable frame of mind - so arid and boring. I do have a taste for the non-linear and lyric twists of life and thought - your dialogue is well-laced with that.

Who can find that wonderful excerpt from one of Yeat's poems -- starts out approximately
"My 50th year had come and gone,
but of a moment I was taken hold and
elevated by a wonderful happiness etc.

while drinking tea or something at a streetside cafe.

It is a beautiful day here in Maryland, but the construction down the street is driving me crazy. Time to go to the office and growl at people (lovingly of course).
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
Well I have a pretty pure heart. (but I'm Catholic & Jesuit educated, and know that God is forgiving of the excess use of the appetites he gave us - it's the self-created appetites that are bad).
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:47 am
Welcome george.....it's beautiful here in Manhattan too, but the noise and dust from the repair work on my apartment building is annoying too. Time to go to the park.

See you later.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:33 am

New admirer eh?Another bloody Jesuit as well.How are you going to manage?2 Jesuits v The Dark Queen of the Manhattan Night.They are easy to underestimate are Jesuits because there are not a lot of them about and minorities are always easy meat for the braying mob.They also forbear deploying their fiercest arguments unless you get them in a corner which doesn't happen in civilised places.
But just think Lola-they are not only opposed to artificial birth control,abortion and divorce,there is no shifting them.They know why.They respect ladies you see.They don't just pay lip service.They laugh at those who fancy they are going to change the new Pope's mind because they know that there's not the slightest chance.They are aware of the physics and chemistry and the boundaries.Have you any idea of the power of the truthful confession when deployed over hundreds of years.Absolutely rooted in facts without fear or favour and interpreted sans nepotism.Where else can you find disinterested social science and we do need our scientists to be disinterested.One can easily imagine philosophers,I use the word in the trite sense,looking over their shoulder all the time to see if what they are saying is okay by the wife and daughters who are fast tracked to influential posts by having a philosopher daddy.So they stick to neutral topics like "what is existence?" and suchlike pointless distractions.Meanwhile life outside goes on all around them.The analyst is not seen as a true authority figure by those types who can afford it who are generally a bit short on humility.Like Lancaster in Local Hero.

Anyway-it might be good fun eh?We live in hope

I read that Henry Miller practised psychoanalysis in New York in 1936.Do you not need a licence?It goes without saying,almost,that Jesuits are a bit suspicious of trick cycling.

On the dust how about-
"But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust no matter how thick."
0 Replies