Can not Edit, Cant find Help, Post Dissapear

mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 06:28 am
Hi, everybody, I stumbled across this forum last night and find it very unique and creative but I keep having issues. Is there a FAQ anywhere? I've been up all night working on a business card and decided to use able?know to get some advice. I have talked to some users who have been very helpful and I've read some great post. It's been about 6 hours since I first used the site to ask for advice and there was a learning curve that I struggled with but finally got through. Now that I had everything figured out or so I thought. I spent a good amount of time redoing my original post, cleaner, more precise and with the tags this time. The tag feature was the biggest problem. My original post went nowhere because of it. Anyway, at last, i posted my question with 4 tags of relevant forums and I noticed I was getting good activity. Success! All my endeavors have paid off! or so I thought. I became distracted in another post for about 15 minutes when I went back to check my post it was gone! As if Demon Nazi snuck in and stole it! I feel cheated by satan directly! Everything I wrote was nowhere to be seen! I don't know what is going on. I feel pretty defeated at this point and am very tired. I will check in later to see if anyone knows what's wrong or going on. Thanks in advance. I really am intrigued by this forum I just need to figure out the kinks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 6,275 • Replies: 20
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 06:40 am
@mlrich,
There should be a link at the top saying My Posts if you click on that you should be given a list of threads you've posted on with the most recent activity at the top. If it says new it means someone has posted since you last looked at the thread.

As for deleted posts, they're very hot on spam here, and if you posted links to your website or anything else that could be considered touting for business it will be deleted. When you're new just posting links can land you in trouble because the assumption is it's spam. Once you've been on here a while they don't automatically make that assumption.

You only have about 15 minutes to edit a post, after that it's stuck like that for good.

Hope this helps, welcome to A2K btw.

0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 06:41 am
@mlrich,
I can assure you that the kinks aren't the devil, Satan, or Nazis.

Most likely user error or a moderator that thinks your post looked like one of the 1,000 other spam posts that show up here daily.

I think I'm going to start blaming Demon Nazis for everything, that's a good one!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 06:42 am
These threads are still up.

https://able2know.org/topic/385747-1#post-6422229

https://able2know.org/topic/385677-1#post-6422189
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 07:18 am
@mlrich,
Ummm... do you mean this post?!
mlrich wrote:

Hello, my name is Marc Rich and I am a tile installer. I am in the process of designing a business card and before I send it to print I could use some advice. I'm confident in the design of my card but not the wording, grammar or punctuation of the so-called brand promise. This is not my forte. After doing a google search and installing a useless grammar add-on for my browser I came across this forum and thought it would be the perfect place to get some good advice. I remember reading a quote on a forum that said: "Correct punctuation is addictive; learn it!" I felt a little envious after reading it but knew it was true and understood how people could appreciate the correct punctuation and grammar. By the way, I should have said I'm paraphrasing the quote because I more than likely messed it up. Anyway, if anyone is willing to look this over, Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. The beginning sounds like it should start different but I'm not sure how. The name of my business is "The Art of Tile"

15 plus years experience utilizing the most current and technological installation materials and methods to create the quality art you and your home deserve.
0 Replies

mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 08:05 am
No, it is gone, it was a completely new thread with different tags that was edited and explained in a better way. Thanks for the responses the humor helped lessen the blow.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 09:27 am
IMHO:

Not much room on a business card, .

Just your name, phone, address and short tag line, like:

over 15 years experience * latest material installation
mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 10:12 am
@PUNKEY,
It's on the back of the business card. There is enough room for two or three lines along with the address, a couple social media icons, and the website.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 11:13 am
On here, a business card is, by definition, spam. This site is not a free advertising site or business directory. Spam gets deleted. Did you include links?
mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 01:33 pm
@centrox,
No, I only mentioned the Brand Promise which is literally one, "too long" sentence not mentioning the name which was quoted above somewhere. It was stolen by Demon Nazi. I'm sure of it. Here it is again

"15 plus years experience utilizing the most current and technological installation materials and methods to create the quality art you and your home deserve."

I was asking advice on wording and grammar/punctuation and making it sound better. The first advice was it was too long of a sentence mentioning three different things. (Good Advice).
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 01:42 pm
Jesus, this business card reads like a James Joyce novel.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 02:50 pm
@chai2,
I know the one you mean.
0 Replies

mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 04:44 pm
I'm somewhat amused by these replies but the topic went off some time ago. I shortened it up to this if anyone cares to comment.

15 plus years experience utilizing the latest materials and methods to present "The Art of Tile" in your home.

Just a little context, the name of my company is called The Art of Tile.

I think I will start over with another fresh post to try and dial in the advice I'm seeking but figured it would not hurt to try while I'm here. Thanks
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 05:11 pm
@mlrich,
You are mired in as a spammer, I am guessing, even though you meant you post to be about grammar (I take it). Sort of cute

I was here for many years before I mentioned my/our gallery's name on a2k, after I moved. I'm not a gallery owner there any more, but still like it. No, I won't tell ya. I think I did post the name when I felt free too, but backed off.
mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 05:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm confused, are you saying because I mentioned the name of my business for context I am considered a "spammer"? Or I probably will not receive any relevant help because people think I'm trying to spam? Should I try another forum other than a2k on this topic maybe?
chai2

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 06:52 pm
@mlrich,
Dude.

You are creating a business card? A paper business card?

It sounds like you are writing a book, hence my reference to a James Joyce tome.

Business cards should not include massive amounts of information, writing on the back, or anything more wordy than a very short (very short) slogan if you want.

All you should have on a business card is the name of your business, your name and title, contact information, and a link to your website.

Instead of all this "15 plus years" stuff, put "established in (whatever the year was)" or "in business since (year)"

The rest of it belongs on your website, or if you are commited to paper, a brochure.

As to whether you should go to another forum to ask your questions, go ahead, who cares?
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 07:17 pm
@mlrich,
Yes
0 Replies

mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 07:19 pm
@chai2,
Dude.
Thanks for your opinion.

I've read more than once that not having a good "brand statement" is a top 5 common mistake on business cards.
I was simply asking for some advice. Not an assault on my attention to detail.

I did, however, receive some good advise as you should have read above. It was to simply shorten it up, which I did.

My new pursuit of answers was not directed towards you. It was to the gentlemen who tried to explain the issues with the forum I was having. It's actually the whole point of this thread.
chai2

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 08:14 pm
@mlrich,
It's not an opinion, it's a business reality.

What country are you in? Perhaps that is the issue. It may be in your culture this type of this in common/acceptable.

People are not going to take that much time to thoroughly examine your card, and all the information you're planning on putting on this will make it cluttered and far too unappealling.

This is an open forum mlrich, so there really is no such thing as directing a question where you expect only one person to answer you. Nor do you know the gender of the person responding to you. You seem to be a bit rigid with your expectations that a thread on a public forum should and must be restricted to such a narrow focus.

It's wasn't an assault to your attention to detail, but rather the fact you are giving far too many details in a extremely limited space.

Obviously you can do what you want. However, don't discount someones advice because you don't agree with it.

You are in a trade. Not a software developer, finance, or some abstract business. What you do is very concete. If you inform people in a brief few words how long you've been in business they will immediately know that you know what you're doing.

If I were looking for someone to set tile for me, the name of your business would be one of the most attractive things to me along with your telling me the years you've been in business, not your talking about the techology (is there even such a thing) of it.

You may not appreciate what I'm saying, and that's a mistake. You should realize that I'm the customer that is going to be looking at your card, and deciding whether to contact you or not based on the concise info you give on it, mostly where I can reach you, and what your website is so I can look at your work.

As the consumer, you need to appeal to me as the guy who is going to come into my home and work for me. You needn't worry so much about what some website tells you about "brand statements" and other jargon. Your customer doesn't care so much about your visions, etc. as much as you're going to show up, do good work and will guarantee your product.

So, when you tell me, the potential customer, that I'm wrong in what I want to see on a business card, you just lost my business. Isn't that what you're trying to avoid in promoting your trade? You may think you can tell a potential customer that "this isn't the place to talk about that", but your customer will then find someone who will.

mlrich

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 10:17 pm
@chai2,
Very well said, I appreciate your explanation. Your advice was used as another poster told me basically the same thing.

The front of my card is minimalistic.

My Business name is the main attraction with only my name and my phone number below it in a basic font 1/5th the size.

It has a nice classic Carrara marble bathroom as the backdrop which is focused on the hexagon floor tile where my company name almost looks like it is floating.

I used a solid black artistic font for it and a feature called spot gloss which makes it sort of glimmer when in motion. It stands out very well. The color scheme is made of soft grays and whites with small hints of browns. The company name, as you agree is the main attraction.

The back is where I needed some advice which I have received, thank you.

The backdrop is a light marble grain. I wanted to start with a quick sentence that showed my experience and dedication towards quality work and my use of advanced quality products and my signature centered below it.

To me, this is an important aspect that I believe is unique to me when compared to a lot of other tile contractors.

I should have noted that almost all my work comes from referrals and word of mouth. My reputation is my greatest asset besides myself of course. I have been so busy I never had the time to make a card. Everyone wants them when I finish a job to refer me to friends and family.

Below the signature in a smaller font is Installer/owner. (centered)
Below that is the company address a couple font sizes bigger. (centered)
Below that is my website in a slightly smaller font. (centered)
Finally accross the bottom starting on the left is my email. On the far right are a few social media icons.

To me the card is very simple but also really stands out.

As was duly noted, and I mean that! the so-called "Brand Promise" was my main concern hence the reason I searched google to find a forum that looked like it had a good Grammar forum. That is what lead me to a2k. As I suspected it was not good. And here we are. I really do appreciate all the help. I am not a good writer or typer so creating a post like this takes me a good amount of time and effort. Sorry if I sounded irritated, I was some but I still found the help I needed. Thanks again.

0 Replies