Senator Kerry from Massachusetts- Not Irish?

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:27 am
What importance does the ethnic origin of the candidate have in the USA? If Mr. Kerry is a Catholic but not Irish, does this mean that no Irish will vote for him regardless of his political agenda? And if he is a converted Jew, will this repeal the Jews from supporting his candidature? I guess, this must not be so much significant; USA is a nation and not a tribal union like Afghanistan or Uganda.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:35 am
I for one do not believe that the fact that his grandparents were born Jewish will have any impact on his race for the presidency. Those who would not vote for him because of it would not vote for a liberal in any event.
I should also point out that since his mother was not Jewish neither is he. Leiberman on the other hand does not stand a chance since he is, but for some reason he seems to be oblivious to that obvious truth.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:39 am
steissd, I beleive the point that is trying to be made is that unfortunately there are those liviing in this area who possibly could be skewed towards a candidate due to his/her background, which would include the name.
It is silly to think that a great deal of voters would make this assumption but, there seems to be something NH is making about it being a possibility.
However, I must say that Massachusetts having the background it does, after living here and being part of the political system here, the possibility is a good one.
Still, its only a possibility, and its not that it is correct just, that it is possible. Shows you actually how uninformed and/or uneducated the voting public here is I suppose.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:40 am
New Haven wrote:
It apparently does matter to the voters. Most if not all thought Kerry was an Irish Catholic. Many voters feel , somehow they were not told the truth...

This story will end his career in Massachusetts and will kill any chance he might have had at being president. Very Happy

Regarding the first paragraph: fact or opinion? If fact, can you link to the poll or source?

Regarding the second paragraph: your smiley seems to indicate schadenfreude...do I read you right or would you care to explain differently?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:44 am
au..thanks for clearing that part of it up.
I hadnt realized that part of the background because I dont think it matters.
Leiberman though is from this same area, I dont think hes oblivious, and based on background alone..they serve the same chance. Stupidity I dont believe actually rules although you wonder sometimes.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:44 am
I keep seeing the words "right and wrong", "fair and unfair" on this thread. This is about politics, where unfortunately the key word is "winning". Managers on all sides will use whatever information they have in whatever they feel will best help their cause. As I mentioned earlier, politics is an art and many choices thought to help one's candidate can be wrong end up hurting him. Cynical? Yes, but I believe accurate.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:47 am
steissd
Unfortunately there are people, many I am afraid, who vote on the basis of National origin, race, religion, looks, attack adds and etc. Much of the American electorate never really bothers to become familiar with the issues involved or politically aware.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:50 am
If this is so, then how did John F. Kennedy become a President? As far as I know, Irish do not have absolute majority in the USA.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:00 am
To use your example steissd, some refused to vote for Kennedy solely because he was an Irish Catholic even though they disagreed with his politics. Others voted against him for that reason even if they agreed with his politics. The majority however used political beliefs to make their selection, and the outcome was what it was.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:04 am
Does anyone else consider it pathetic that this topic is even a topic in the year 2003?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:12 am
I do. I believe that ethnic origin of a candidate must be of no significance in the USA of 21st century. The results must depend on candidate's political stance and his/her ability to persuade the audience in his/her being right.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:13 am
It was touch and go with many believing that Kennedy did not have a chance because of his being a Catholic. I believe he is the only non-wasp president of the US.
As for Kerry I doubt that being Irish or not will have an impact. His problem will be that he is a Catholic regardless of how he got to be one. Will WASPS vote for someone who may follow the dictates of the Vatican? That no doubt IMO will be used by the opposition in an underhanded way.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:28 am
Yes, it is pathetic that we have these considerations in 2003, but we had them in 1803, 1903, and I fear we will have them in 2103. If we last that long.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:36 am
au1929 wrote:
Will WASPS vote for someone who may follow the dictates of the Vatican?

Do you mean that His Holiness the Pope John Paul II experiences full control over France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Irish Republic, Philippines, Mexico and all the S. America?
Being a Pole, he may be very authoritative in Poland, but beyond this?..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:51 am
The Pope's power comes from the Vatican, which continues to be a rich and powerful organization. It may not have full control over the countries and continents you list, steissd, but it does seem to have a significant influence on several of them. There is still political impact on/by candidates who are known to be Catholic. There are neighbourhoods in Toronto where a Catholic candidate will still have an advantage in an election, and where representatives of the church will come out publicly on their behalf - and those statements of support will matter. The archbishop's favour is still considered to be desirable in some areas. It would be naive of a politician to underestimate the power of the Catholic church in local politics.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 12:09 pm
steissd
Whether he does or does not exercise control or influence over catholic politicians is an unknown. However there are people who believe that he or at least the dogma of the Catholic religion does and will therefore not vote for a Catholic candidate for president. It does not help when Catholic leaders proclaim that if Catholic politicians vote for abortion they will be excommunicated.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 12:12 pm
Well, the Protestant church does not encourage abortion either, at least, the conservative denominations like the Southern Baptists. This makes a good common issue for Catholics and WASPs to pool their efforts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 01:05 pm
Good luck with that one. Abortion/birth control is as divisive an issue in many Catholic parishes as it is in other faiths.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:18 pm
In the U.S. churches, like government, dont always represent the views of the their populace. i suspect this is true almost everywhere.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:39 pm
Leiberman has a far better chance than Kerry. Maybe Kerry's wife will get Keryy a job in one of her pickle factories! Very Happy
0 Replies