Senator Kerry from Massachusetts- Not Irish?

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:01 am
What's this story about Kerry not being Irish? If so, how did he ever get an Irish name like Kerry?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,221 • Replies: 94
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:17 pm
According to yesterday's NY Times ("No Assertion of Irish Roots, Kerry Says"), his grandfather, was born as Fritz Kohn in "what was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire." Fritz converted to Catholicism in 1902 and changed his name to Kerry. Both of Sen. Kerry's paternal grandparents were born as Jews and converted. Article says Sen. Kerry knew that the maternal grandmother had been Jewish but was surprised to learn that the grandfather, who committed suicide in 1921, had also been Jewish and converted.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:53 pm
Why this would make a bit of difference to anyone besides the Kerry family is beyond me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
bs - me too.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:21 pm
Why? Well, unfortunately there are people who would vote for him primarily because he is Irish. There are also those who would refuse to vote for him for the same reason. Those who oppose him as a Democratic nominee and believe that the information would have a net negative effect would want this information known. Regretfully, this holds true for any ethnic group. It's politics and not restricted to U.S. Let's remove the rose colored glasses.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:30 pm
On the other hand, this may turn out to be very beneficial for Kerry. It places him within several ethnic groups. And since he already knew his grandmother was Jewish, there's no element of "What? I didn't know that!" Flyboy, I disagree. There are many who prefer that the WH and the cabinet stay safely wasp, but the times they are -changing. With the huge growth of many diverse groups, and the battle for their votes, I wouldn't be surprised if ethnic diversity didn't turn out to be a plus. Except for the very conservative Christian right, who have embraced Israel anyway.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:33 pm
Ok, let me rephrase. I wish that it didn't make a difference to anyone but the Kerry family.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:40 pm
Can't do it, littlek. Anybody running for public office immediately becomes an object of scrutiny.

I take that back.. If they ever give prizes for secrecy, the Bushes will head the list. And I'm no so sure that will be a plus, either. By discouraging any mentions of family life, a picture of no family life begins to emerge. We don't really want idols. We want people. leaders who are people.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:52 pm
I know I know..... I don't think it can change, I just think it ain't right
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:53 pm
I'm with you, though. It was one of the things I hated about what was done in the last presidency.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:15 pm
Mamajuana, you say that you disagree with me, but I don't believe that you do. I said the matter cuts both ways, and politicians will try to figure out whether the cut will be more for them or against them. and will act accordingly. They will do this primarily through polls, analyses, and gut feelings. They may be right or they may be wrong, but that's politics. It is also one of the reasons that politics is called an art.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:23 pm
The fact that someone would judge a person by their name/change of their name alone shows the stupidity of that person.
Just my opinion.
Although I might have something to say about anyone named Kennedy...although Ive known some good people named Kennedy, those in politics or involved politically, well, Id want to know a whole heck of a lot more about. Its a pet peeve with me but, nothing damaging, more entirely interesting. Still...wouldnt influence me one way or the other. Just the facts, not the package...thanks.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:37 pm
Quinn, I'm pretty sure that your sentiments are shared by everyone on this thread thus far; however, we are not only a tiny segment of the electorate, but also a non typical one.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:40 pm
True, so very true.

Still, not like he's hiding anything.

Okay maybe hes just showing us how stupid some people are but, I think we probably knew that already.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:14 am
flyboy804

Quote:
It is also one of the reasons that politics is called an art.

Put an F before the word art and you get what politics is . It stinks. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:43 am
AU1929-Unfortunately true, but until the nature of man changes, we're stuck with it. I believe the benevolent dictator option was ruled out on a different thread.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:00 am
It apparently does matter to the voters. Most if not all thought Kerry was an Irish Catholic. Many voters feel , somehow they were not told the truth.

Interestingly, the Boston Globe decided to pull this story out, when Kerry decided to run for President.

This story will end his career in Massachusetts and will kill any chance he might have had at being president. Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:03 am
Quinn:

Just in case you're unware of this, may I enlighten you to the fact that anti-Jewish sentiment is alive and well, even in the LIBERAL state of tiny Massachusetts.
Sad
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:05 am
MAMA:

It puts Kerry in a very ugly position. He has been put out to dry by the Boston Press.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:16 am
As I stated previously, those who voted with regard to his name only are stupid.

And anti jewish sentiment has to do with this HOW?

Also, I am quite aware that Massachusetts is viewed as a liberal state, however that doesnt make it right, nor does it make everyone here liberal or correct either. I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Too much caffeine again this morning I suppose, or perhaps not enough for me, but I doubt it.
0 Replies