Canada Immigration

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:32 am
In the past few days Canada immigration has recieved over 150,000 calls a day from US citizens wanting to move to Canada. Wow!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,131 • Replies: 26
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
Stand guard at the border, Montana.
Hold 'em back.
Do your best.

They need the people with differing opinions to stay there and fight to make a difference. We don't need any more runners.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
I heard a similar thing Montana - about how many extreme liberals were so upset with the election and facing four more years of having an extreme conservative in office that they are wanting to become Canadian citizens.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
Beth
I'll meet you at the border ;-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
no
no
no

Thank goodness the process is so long and tedious. They'll give up. Thank goodness.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
Linkat
I knew there would be some, but I'm truly shocked at the numbers.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
ehBeth wrote:
no
no
no

Thank goodness the process is so long and tedious. They'll give up. Thank goodness.

Laughing
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:50 am
Re: Canada Immigration
Montana wrote:
In the past few days Canada immigration has recieved over 150,000 calls a day from US citizens wanting to move to Canada. Wow!

I'm sure that this is a joke....but link to back it up?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:50 am
how many requests do they usually get per day?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
Quote:
Within hours of Bush's acceptance speech Wednesday, six times more Americans than usual surfed the site.

link:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/04/gonorth041104.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:54 am
NZ and OZ are getting more calls too!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3087905a10,00.html
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:54 am
Thanks for the link but 60% of 164,000 views to a website doesn't = 150,000 phone calls.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
hehehehehehehehehe

Montana kinda under-estimated the numbers

hehehehehehehehehehehe

Quote:
Canadian immigration officials have reported a huge increase in the number of requests for Canadian citizenship in the past twenty-four hours, with over fifty-five million such inquiries pouring in since late Tuesday night.

Of those fifty-five million requests, well over 99.99% of them came from U.S. citizens, the lion's share residing in such states as New York, California, Massachusetts, Oregon, Washington, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.

Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew said that he was "flabbergasted" by the fifty-five-million-plus requests for Canadian citizenship, adding that it was difficult to pinpoint the precise reasons for the staggering increase.

"My only theory is that after many years of exposure in the U.S., hockey is finally starting to catch on," Mr. Pettigrew said.

He cautioned, however, that it is impossible to know exactly what is sparking the sudden interest in America's frozen neighbor to the north: "People answering our immigration hotline say that it is hard to understand many of the American callers because they are sobbing uncontrollably."

In other news, President Bush used his acceptance speech Wednesday to reach out to supporters of Sen. John Kerry, telling them, "You can run, but you can't hide."

Meanwhile, in his first statement since being voted out of office Tuesday night, Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle said, "Do you want fries with that?"

Elsewhere, experts said that exit polls may have falsely predicted a Kerry victory because Kerry voters exited while Bush voters stayed behind and voted again.

link

something a bit more, mmmmmmmmm, accurate
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:56 am
Any way you slice it, canshot, the requests are up.

Pissin' me off.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
Oh for christ sakes. I read it in our local news paper and saw it on tv on our local news. I'll go see if I can find it on line. Jeeez!!!
Why would I make that up!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
we got it Montana!
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:58 am
Never mind you guys suckered me in.... funny.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:59 am
Thanks Beth, lol!

Thank you as well Littlek.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:01 pm
The increase in requests for information, by phone call and internet, is getting a lot of local media coverage, canshot.

As is the history of Americans coming to Canada when things don't go their way. I'm in agreement with the commentator that said that he felt it was one of the reasons that America, as a whole, had moved to the right over the past 40 years. I'm also in agreement with him that it would do the whole world more good to make them stay in the U.S. and put together a better argument.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
I agree with the commentator as well. Unfortunately.
0 Replies