Okay, Dems, What Went Wrong? And How Can We Fix It?

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:56 am
nimh

Yup, ironic isn't it? I had at one time really wished that Powell would run back when he was considering it, in order that the color barrier might be finally surmounted. LIkewise, I was enthused when the Dem ticket held a female as vice presidential candidate. In Canada, we've had one female Prime Minister, but her tenure followed upon a resignation and was short-lived.

As much of a double breakthrough as Rice in the Presidency would be, I'd sure work against it. Some wins don't outweight other attendent losses.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:42 pm
JustWonders wrote:
The only problem I see with this 'fix' is that (in my opinion) you can't get away with pretending to be something you're not. Not for long, anyway. Despite popular opinion on the Left, voters are not 'that stupid' and won't be influenced so much by how a politician speaks as by what he or she does.

Unfortunately (for me LOL), now when I hear a Democrat refer to "God" or "values", I'll be wondering if they're speaking that way because they took the workshop on how to appeal to voters on 'values'.

Did I mention this is just my opinion?

ba' j.w. , ba', ba' ! :wink:

am i to understand that the republican stance is that they, and they alone, are in possession of love of family, a belief in god and the knowledge of right and wrong ?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:10 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
The only problem I see with this 'fix' is that (in my opinion) you can't get away with pretending to be something you're not. Not for long, anyway. Despite popular opinion on the Left, voters are not 'that stupid' and won't be influenced so much by how a politician speaks as by what he or she does.

Unfortunately (for me LOL), now when I hear a Democrat refer to "God" or "values", I'll be wondering if they're speaking that way because they took the workshop on how to appeal to voters on 'values'.

am i to understand that the republican stance is that they, and they alone, are in possession of love of family, a belief in god and the knowledge of right and wrong ?

It appears that is the voters' impression.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:35 pm
In my opinion it is precisely because the Democrats' agenda/politico speak/PCness gave too many people a strong impression that they disdain the nuclear traditional family, parental rights, and/or anything religious or patriotic, and because their spokespersons come across as completely devoid of understanding of right and wrong that cost them dearly in the past election.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:52 pm
Opinion noted.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:07 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

It appears that is the voters' impression.

not all voters, tico. remember, it was not a bush 100% - kerry 0% election.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:15 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
In my opinion it is precisely because the Democrats' agenda/politico speak/PCness gave too many people a strong impression that they disdain the nuclear traditional family, parental rights, and/or anything religious or patriotic, and because their spokespersons come across as completely devoid of understanding of right and wrong that cost them dearly in the past election.

if that's the impression that people got, i suspect that it's because it's the impression that they wanted to have, foxy.

it's an impression of something that is patently untrue, btw. most non-republicans are honest, decent hardworking people that love their families, their country and, polls tell us, are "people of faith" of one belief or another. polls, cited quite often by republicans btw, say that something like 90% of the country identifies as "christian". so in light of the 48%- 51% voter split, the "republicans alone have values" thing doesn't add up. Question
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:20 pm
I didn't say it did DTom. But you're preaching to the choir. You should e praching to those Democratic operatives who put out the talking points, who hog the microphones, and who write the material handed out to the semi-illiterates in the inner cities, etc. It isn't what IS that counted in this election, it is what those spouting the anti-family, anti-religious, anti-traditional values garbage caused people to believe the Democrat party is all about.

Democrats are one thing. The party bosses are quite something else.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:40 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I didn't say it did DTom.

sorry foxy, didn't mean to imply that.

Foxfyre wrote:
It isn't what IS that counted in this election,

boy... ya can say that again !

Foxfyre wrote:
it is what those spouting the anti-family, anti-religious, anti-traditional values garbage caused people to believe the Democrat party is all about.

i never really got that from any legitimate representatives. could ya toss out a few names ?

Foxfyre wrote:
Democrats are one thing. The party bosses are quite something else.

that's true all around, don't ya think ?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:17 pm
Quote:
i never really got that from any legitimate representatives. could ya toss out a few names ?

Well, let's see: try Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, John Edwards, James Carville, Paul Begala, Hillary Clinton, Al Sharpton, Tom Daschle, Terry McAuliffe, Nancy Pelosi. . . and I'll think of a couple dozen more given a few minutes.

You have an agenda that is portrayed and perceived to be overtly pro-gay marriage, anti faith-based initiatives, pro abortion including partial-birth abortion, anti-parental notification, anti-Iraq, anti-military, anti God-in-the-Pledge-of-Allegiance, anti-tax cut, anti letting people direct some of their social security retirement, anti helping parents move their kids to better schools via school vouchers, etc. etc. etc.

Some Americans support this stuff. Most--I think the huge majority--do not. The Republican agenda and the President's agenda was mostly the exact opposite. You could not have possibly missed all the hundreds and hundreds of quotes by Democrats posted here on A2K and everywhere else during this past campaign.

Enough people were paying attention so that he GOP won impressively at all levels and widely spread across the board.

Many of us would very much like for the Democrat party to clean up its act and return to its Trumanesque roots so that the next time around we could choose between two good candidates instead of having to choose a less-than-good person over one who stands against everythng we are for.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Many of us would very much like for the Democrat party to clean up its act and return to its Trumanesque roots so that the next time around we could choose between two good candidates instead of having to choose a less-than-good person over one who stands against everythng we are for.

Yup, pretty much. Don't look for that to happen anytime soon, though.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:02 pm
Trumanesque roots?? Just how do roots occur half way up a tree?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:09 pm
blatham wrote:
Trumanesque roots?? Just how do roots occur half way up a tree?

You are quite right. We should go back past Roosevelt, Wilson (the arrogant idiot), boss Reed in the House of Representatives - all the way to Martin Van Buren and Stephen Douglas, the advocates of continued slavery, and on to Andrew Jackson, he of the Seminole slaughters in Florida and the forced evacuation of the Cherokees from the South (to make more room for slave holding planters).

All things considered, not a very attractive lot, Bernie. I think stopping with Truman might have been a real kindness.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:13 pm
Democrat US Presidents List

1 Andrew Jackson
2 Martin Van Buren
3 James Knox Polk
4 Franklin Pierce
5 James Buchanan
6 Grover Cleveland
Grover Cleveland
7 Woodrow Wilson
8 Franklin Delano Roosevelt
9 Harry S. Truman
10 John Fitzgerald Kennedy
11 Lyndon Baines Johnson
12 James Earl 'Jimmy' Carter
13 William Jefferson 'Bill' Clinton

Well, damn, blatham. Look what she had to choose from.
He's in the top 3, wouldn't you say?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:29 pm
george

Been waiting for you to turn up. Let me know what you think of the following...

Quote:
If one is to look at a society like ours from its nether end, so to speak, through scores of consecutive pages, one must resolve to risk wounding the national amour-propre, although this can only divert attention from the business at hand, which is to shed a little light on our cultural problems. One must resolve still more firmly to run some slight risk of encouraging the canting and self-righteous anti-Americanism that in Europe today so commonly masquerades as well-informed criticism of this country. For all their bragging and their hypersensitivity, Americans are, if not the most self-critical, at least the most anxiouly self-conscious people in the world, forever concerned about the inadequacy of something or other - their national morality, their national culture, their national purpose.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
Pierce is a relative, but not my main pick.

The modern Democratic party is a creature of we all know who.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:38 pm
Satan.

<couldna resist>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:40 pm
Sshh Blatham, dont be rude - you know Roosevelt is the man they really resent, but cant be seen to reject ...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:48 pm
Ridiculous.

Lincoln did as the times required, as did Roosevelt.

Weird theory.

Anyone afraid to say what they think of Roosevelt?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:52 pm
The hell we can't "reject" FDR, nimh - or at least reject a buncha policies initiated and actions taken at his direction and/or under his Administrations. I know I for one have a lotta issues with the iconiztion of FDR - I hold the elitist SOB responsible for a lotta the crap thats wrong with the world today.
0 Replies