Looking ahead to Bush's second term...

gungasnake

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:49 am
The standard of living for "palestinians" has gone totally to hell in the dozen years since Arafart took over the PA. Prior to that time, pali standards of living were similar to those of American blacks living in the south in 1955 or thereabouts; now they are similar to the standards of living of Haiti.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:52 am
Well, I certainly hope that Bush uses some of his 'political capital' to solve the problem in his second term. He has nothing to lose and could create quite a legacy for himself if he can pull it off.

How do you all think he will manage to privatize social security?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
JustWonders wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, I know something about that case and Arafat wasn't involved. It is a favorite example though. Somehow it's worse than firing a missile into a man in a wheel chair in the middle of a crowded street. Nobody has the moral high ground in that conflict.

But back to the topic. Doesn't it sound like Bush is telling those of us who didn't vote for him to go f*** ourselves? That's the way some of the things in his speech sounded to me.

Arafat wasn't involved??

Quote:
What did this event have to do with Yasser Arafat and the PLO? According to Israeli intelligence reports and information relayed by Italian Defence Minister Giovanni Spadolini:

...the terrorists were in contact, via the ship's radio telephone, with a PLF [Palestine Liberation Front] co-ordinator in Genoa. He, in turn, got in touch with the PLO headquarters in Tunis for final instructions.

Source

Revel can feel "sad" for anyone she wants to. The fact that Arafat and his "band of thugs" are truly ugly slimeballs who delight in sending youths--both male and female to their deaths, while he rakes in the cash doesn't make Yassir Arafat a coward?

His hands are covered in the blood of Jews, Americans, and Israelis (to name a few) but the people he really has betrayed are the Palestinians.

You people feel sorry for him all you want.

I think craven made it clear this board was meant for discussions of Bush's future policies.

Nevertheless, I don't deny that Arafat was a bad leader for his people. I don't pretend to know whether he sent people to their deaths for cash or in the name of freeing Palestinians from the yoke of Israel however misguided.

freeduck made the excellent point that there is plenty of blame of wrongful deaths to go on around for both Israelis and Palestinians.

I am done with this conversation.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:28 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, I certainly hope that Bush uses some of his 'political capital' to solve the problem in his second term. He has nothing to use and could create quite a legacy for himself if he can pull it off.

How do you all think he will manage to privatize social security?

I think he said by telling people that they can take the tax money that would normally go into social security and invest it elsewhere.

In my opinion this is just slow way of getting rid social programs that conservatives never wanted anyway.

But since it looks like we are going to be spending all our money on war and war things it really don't matter anyway. Soon we will be like North Korea, starving but having a military and WMD.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:01 pm
Re: Looking ahead to Bush's second term...
Craven de Kere wrote:
The election is over, and now I hope we can focus on policies and positions (as opposed to personalities and parties).

Mid-East Conflict

One of the things I was hopeful about with Bush is what seemed to be a willingness to make bold moves in the mid-east conflict.

Some of that was very likely related to trying to sell the war in Iraq but he did set some precedents and went on record as saying America supports a two-state solution.

He even set a goal for statehood in 2005.

The Palestinians have had too much political instability for much movement on this front, and this administration seems to have forgotten about the mid-east once the invasion of Iraq got underway, but maybe Bush will go for legacy and actually put some weight behind a resolution.

I hope he does, I hope he makes an earnest effort at pushing both sides toward a teritorial resolution.

I hope so too, but I see little to make me optimistic. The 'Roadmap' was, as you know, coincident with British demands for some movement on the Israel/Palestine problem as there was a broad consensus among foreign affairs personnel that this situation was a key element, if not the key element, in the rise of Muslim anti-western extremism and hatred. The likelihood that beginning a war with Iraq would make this situation worse was pretty cavalierly ignored by the Bush administration. Further, if Bush maintains his Defence Department lineup, then he will maintain a group of folks (Wolfowitz, Perle, and others) who hold connections and allegiances and philosophies with Likud. If those allegiances remain as they appear to have been, then American policy may well continue to reflect Israeli preferences to the likely detriment of Palestinian desires. Still further, anything like a Palestinian political or civic infrastructure seems clearly to have been a target of Israel policy, and this doesn't bode well for anything like a functioning Palestinian state or for Israel's desire that there be one. Two new factors...Arafat and the recent vote in Israel. I'm not optimistic.

Gay Marriage

Now that the election is over, I'd like to see if this was election politics or if he really does want to push this issue.
This election is over, but not the next one. One of the first steps Rove took in preparation for 2004 was to deny the possibility that any rightwing third party might arise to take votes from Bush. The growing threat of a rightwing third party is no longer from Buchannan, but from the radical religious element, such as was in the air when Moore was not, in the view of the radical religious right, adequately supported. Also, this element is now far more cohesive and more powerful within the party than is the libertarian wing. Continuing Republican power in both houses and for the presidency is now utterly dependent upon the religious right. Of the issues this element will continue to demand of the Republicans, two probably stand at the fore: gay issues and abortion. If Bush were to back down on gay marriage, a religious third party becomes a much more real possibility. He won't back down on this. He'll push it hard.

Government Spending and Taxation

Bush has been very agressive in forwarding a more fiscal conservative agenda with his tax cuts. With his increased spending and seeming lack of concern for the deficit it makes me wonder if he's setting a future administration up for the social cuts.
With an actual popular vote mandate and Republican control of the government I wonder if this will be pursued in this second term.
I think Krugman has this one dead on. This administration is not fiscally conservative. Remember that Bush vetoed zero spending bills, and has driven the debt to unprecedented levels, and that he has pledged to cut taxes further and that the war will cost god knows how much. For those who have been reading about Grover Norquist, a key figure in the Bush/Republican team, the notion of 'starving the beast' will be clear - the bankrupcy of the government to facilitate the dismantling of New Deal social arrangements. Krugman speech to London School of Economics April 2004

Post 9/11 Government Freedoms

I'm far less concerned than most here about these moves by this administration. But I am curious to see if they will be pursued even further or perhaps even reversed to some degree.
I doubt the latter.
I doubt the latter very much indeed. Though there are Republican voices in the Senate and House that have spoken up and voiced traditional libertarian concerns about privacy and civil rights issues related to the Patriot Act, this is not an administration that brooks a lot of discord, particularly when they feel the issue is important, whether that importance relates to operations or re-election. Nor is it an administration that considers legal precedent to be much of a concern (Abu Ghraib, etc). Nor is it an administration who will feel terribly queazy about using the tools provided in the Act for other purposes (eg finding lost legislators, or, more frighteningly, the recent FBI statement that the main terrorist threat internally arises within the environmental movement). So the question becomes, how important will the administration actually consider the Patriot Act and its tools in order to procede as they desire and to facilitate re-election in 2008. We can hope that mature Republican voices will temper, but we can't be confident that will happen.

The plan

If the first term was Iraq/tax cuts, then what will characterize the second term? I doubt that foreign policy in the second term will be as agressive, there are no targets as easy to sell and hit as Iraq and I think much of the "invade other countries" political capital was spent.

But this Administration is ambitious, so what do you think this upcoming term will be like?

I think it will be just like this fellow says...
the future
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:46 pm
Gays and abortion.

Bush will continue to use these issues, but he cannot afford to lose them, by satisfying the radical religious right's demands.

There was an interesting book published over 10 years a go by a Sociologist named Kristin Luker (U Cal Berkeley I belive) "Abortion and the Politics of Motherhood" She observed that feelings on abortion were strongest among those individuals who were regressing both economically and socially in the face of rapid change. They felt disenfranchised and vulnerable. They identified with the unborn child, who was in their eyes the most vulnerable of all. If that child could be terminated so could they.
Look at how Bush/Rove ran the campaign. It spoke to and encouraged this fear of disenfranchisement. It fostered the myth of an arrogant dismissive elite, composed of among others licentious gays and libertine feminists.
The issues of abortion and gays are crucial metaphors for Bush and the radical Republicans in general. They are unlikely to give them up by "solving" the problem.

Temperance for example was a national issue until Prohibition. Then the cold water armies disbanded and went home.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:10 pm
That's a really good point, acquiunk. I hadn't thought of that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:37 pm
Bush doesn't have to satisfy anybody's demands now. He's a free agent.

He is personally against gay marriage.

This was a really constructive thread.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:00 am
What the Christian Science Monitor - which often has interesting articles, I think, has to say - for whatever it is worth -

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1105/p01s01-uspo.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:03 am
deb

Some interesting things there.

First, whereas I pointed above to the constraints placed on Republicans following from the necessity of keeping their base happy so as to facilitate re-election in 2008, this writer points to the interim elections in 2006. That's important in that it is more immediate.

Quote:
At a press conference on Thursday Bush reiterated this list, and said again that he intends to unite, not divide, the nation. "The campaign over, Americans are expecting a bipartisan effort and results. I will reach out to everyone who shares our goals," Bush said.

As craven's thread question is predictive, let me predict right off the top that what Bush means and the manner in which he'll proceded regarding the above statement is, "bipartisanship = falling into line with my agenda". Where dems do not, they will be branded loudly as obstructionist, partisan, and divisive.

Quote:
But not all Republicans are thrilled with the prospect of all-out warfare in the Senate over judicial appointments. Sen. Arlen Specter, expected to become the next chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has warned the president against naming nominees who might be too conservative to win broad Senate support.

Already (and I was going to write this yesterday as an immediate prediction) the religious right component is coming down on Specter for his statement of the previous day...
Quote:
Abortion Remark by G.O.P. Senator Puts Heat on Peers
By CARL HULSE
WASHINGTON, Nov. 5 - Angry conservatives flooded Senate phone and fax lines on Friday demanding that Republicans prevent Senator Arlen Specter from presiding over the Judiciary Committee after he remarked that strongly anti-abortion judicial nominees might be rejected in the Senate...
NY Times
This more radical component in the party tried, several months ago, to remove Specter and replace him with a candidate less moderate. Rather oddly, I thought, Bush supported him and I confess I don't understand the dynamics of why he did. But when push comes to shove on SC appointments - and it will - perhaps that dynamic will become more transparent. The religious right component is, of course, not alone in the push towards a certain sort of nominee for the SC, there is also the influential crowd including Clint Bollick, David McIntosh, Bill Bennett and others who aren't particularly religious, but who hold to a "strict constructionist" ideology. I think Renquist fits here, for example.

There's another point to be made here too. The conservatives are well organized at federal and state levels (and locally, but that's not relevant to this point). Under certain circumstances, they will push at one level or the other, or both, whichever works. Gay marriage is a fine example. If an over-arching federal statute or ammendment is possible, they'll go there. If not, they'll attempt to institute legislation at the state level - every state. As state constitutions are variable, there can be more room to move there. This has pretty serious potential consequences, given a radical agenda out of the white house because numerous interests might be forwarded through decreased federalism, most obviously, corporate interests. Dworkin points here...
Quote:
NY Review of Books
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:06 am
President Bush listened to what the electorate said and has vowed to pursue their agenda.

-Staying the course in the worldwide war on terror

-Making the tax cuts of his first term permanent and then tax code reform to simplify it

-Social Security reform

-Medicare reform

-Respecting the value judgment of the citizens re: the importance of morals

Will the Dems also heed the will of the majority of the electorate or ignore the will of the voters and continue to attempt to obstruct their agenda?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:12 am
Quote:
Will the Dems also heed the will of the majority of the electorate or ignore the will of the voters and continue to attempt to obstruct their agenda?

Would you, Larry? Say Bush had lost by 500 in the popular vote, and say the electoral college difference was 1 or 2.

Would it then follow that all Republicans in the House and Senate should necessarily do whatever the Democrat president wished?

Or, take the previous administration. Though a Dem president had won his position with a clear majority, Republicans (representing their constituents, theoretically) stopped far more Clinton judicial nominees than were stopped by Dems in the last four years.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:18 am
I don't see how we can fillibuster anything anyway for very long. We simply don't have enough people in the house and the senate.

So anything that goes wrong in the next two years will not becasue of our obstruction, it will be entirely on the heads of all those who control the government, the republicans.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:20 am
On the Patriot Act issue...I haven't read this yet, having just found it, but it will be relevant...

Quote:
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:21 am
"Would you, Larry?"

If conservative were in the minority, I would hope we would be the loyal oppostion, but not an obstructionist minority.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:23 am
Larry434 wrote:
"Would you, Larry?"

If conservative were in the minority, I would hope we would be the loyal oppostion, but not an obstructionist minority.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:30 am
Larry434 wrote:
"Would you, Larry?"

Fine. But what of the example I gave regarding judicial nominees under the two vote-supported presidents?

With Bush as President, over four years, 6 nominees were blocked in the Senate while 171 were confirmed. That's 3.4 percent blocked.

With Clinton as President, over his last five years, 20 percent of his nominees were blocked by Republicans in the Senate.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:34 am
blatham wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
"Would you, Larry?"

Fine. But what of the example I gave regarding judicial nominees under the two vote-supported presidents?

With Bush as President, over four years, 6 nominees were blocked in the Senate while 171 were confirmed. That's 3.4 percent blocked.

With Clinton as President, over his last five years, 20 percent of his nominees were blocked by Republicans in the Senate.

The Senate has the right of Advice and Consent.

The Judiciary Committe is there to screen nominees. None of Clinton's nominees who passed thru the committee were blocked with floor filibusters to prevent the Senate doing its job, as was the case many times in Bush's first term.

I think all nominees who get to the floor for vote should have one. Senate rules may well be changed to implement that reasonable requirement.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:33 am
larry

Let's drop, or take this up elsewhere. Craven's thread is intended otherwise.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:47 am
blatham wrote:
larry

Let's drop, or take this up elsewhere. Craven's thread is intended otherwise.

O.K. but it looks like our discussion was on point to the title of the thread.
0 Replies