Looking ahead to Bush's second term...

snood

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:02 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
Hope you're staying dry, DTOM. Smile

doin' my best jw. hasn't been easy out here lately. i've never seen it rain so much and for so long here before. but the good news is that it was absolutely beautiful here today.

best get out your bumbershoot though. looks like it's headin' your way.
Shocked

..you a friend of BillW, DTOM?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:12 pm
revel wrote:
Bush seems to getting more trouble from his own party now that democrats are vitually powerless this term. So maybe he will have more trouble pushing his own ideas than I thought when the we lost so badly. (counting seats in congress and everything not just the presidential election of which he didn't beat by much)...

I am not sure how I feel about the issue, but I just it important to note how the house of republicans is starting to divide which means that Bush might not have such smooth sailing as originally thought.

yep, it may well be that the big rubber stamp goes back into storage for a while.

while it's quick and easy to say "all republicans are the same", the republican party has several cliques.

i'm living proof. i voted republican in national elections up until the party started yammering about family values and all of that.

tancredo is one of the reps i've been watching for the last couple of years, he gets it! legal immigration = good. illegal immigration = bad. it really is that simple. it is a country's most fundamental right to control it's borders and who does or does not enter.

it is stunning to me that "the war president", who has sent our military 15,000 miles "to fight terror", continues to push to let illegal aliens flow across the border in the name of cheap labor. he and his cohorts have even adopted the p.c. rhetoric of "they do the jobs americans won't do. bla bla bla".

like so many things, it seems to have escaped bush's attention that the 9/11 plot was launched from within our borders. some we're here legally, yes. but, most had expired visas or were illegals with multiple bogus documents. if the government had been on top of the immigration issue,
like we pay them to be, it's a pretty good bet that somebody, other than one fbi agent, would have caught a hint of something going on.

the way it's going, i guess all of us native born and naturalized americans can just go on extended vacation ( since the economy is so great and we're all making so much more than we used to ), and bush and company can continue on with their favorite policy, and outsource american citizenship.

cash is king, is it not ?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
snood wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
Hope you're staying dry, DTOM. Smile

doin' my best jw. hasn't been easy out here lately. i've never seen it rain so much and for so long here before. but the good news is that it was absolutely beautiful here today.

best get out your bumbershoot though. looks like it's headin' your way.
Shocked

..you a friend of BillW, DTOM?

you mean screen name "billw" ? not sure who that would be.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
Bush sure has been busy on plans for the homefront. Each plan is worse than the one before.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1802&e=2&u=/washpost/20050114/ts_washpost/a7862_2005jan13

Bush Plans Sharp Cuts in HUD Community Efforts

Quote:
1 hour, 34 minutes ago

By Jonathan Weisman, Washington Post Staff Writer

The White House will seek to drastically shrink the Department of Housing and Urban Development (news - web sites)'s $8 billion community branch, purging dozens of economic development projects, scrapping a rural housing program and folding high-profile anti-poverty efforts into the Labor and Commerce departments, administration officials said yesterday.

The proposal in the upcoming 2006 budget would make good on President Bush (news - web sites)'s vow to eliminate or consolidate what he sees as duplicative or ineffective programs. Officials said yesterday that economic development programs are scattered too widely in the government and have proved particularly ineffectual at HUD.

Advocates for the poor, however, contended that the White House is trying to gut federal programs for the poorest Americans to make way for tax cuts, a mission to Mars and other presidential priorities. Administration officials would not say how much the consolidation would save, but it could lead to steep funding cuts. That is because the HUD programs would have to compete for resources in Commerce and Labor budgets that are not likely to expand to accommodate the shuffle.

"I'm always willing to look at consolidation, but clearly they're using consolidation as a shield for substantial budget reductions," said Rep. Barney Frank (news, bio, voting record) (Mass.), the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee, which has jurisdiction over housing and community development programs.

The plan was detailed in a December memo from the White House Office of Management and Budget to HUD. The document provides one of the first concrete examples of the types of cuts in the works as the administration comes to grips with a soaring deficit.

"The purpose of the exercise has nothing to do with achieving or not achieving savings," said one administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid preempting the Feb. 7 release of the president's fiscal 2006 budget request.

"What we are trying to accomplish is to meet our obligation to people living in distressed communities, to hold communities accountable for helping those people and to become more efficient in the process," another official said.

I am beginning to really hate this overused phrase, "hold people accountable" that is just doublespeak for leaving the poor out to dry.

(dont worry I won't be flooding this board anymore with all these articles. It is just that I am so disgusted at all Bush's domestic plans and way of doing things. I think it is depressing me)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:27 pm
revel wrote:
I am beginning to really hate this overused phrase, "hold people accountable"

hah!! the dude should practice what he preaches.

he left "teflon president" way behind.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:12 am
craven or someone else who is up on the Israel/Palestine situation; I have a question. What do you make of the following, is it good to be hopeful?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=1&u=/nm/20050207/ts_nm/mideast_dc

Quote:
Rice Announces U.S. Security Coordinator in Mideast

8 minutes ago Top Stories - Reuters

By Saul Hudson

TEL AVIV (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) announced Monday the appointment of a U.S. general as security coordinator to protect budding Middle East peace moves and that Israeli and Palestinian leaders would visit Washington.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites) and new Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, due to hold a landmark summit in Egypt Tuesday on halting more than four years of violence, will meet separately with President Bush (news - web sites) in the spring

I guess it is not in my nature to be gushingly hopeful, don't people find it sort of odd how Arafat just suddenly became deathly ill and died and now all the sudden there is a person that the US can work with? I am not really knocking it, it seems the new guy is already making inroads in reigning in the militants of Palestine so the blame can shifted a little and so maybe peace talks can actually happen.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:56 am
I guess I hoped too soon.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1515&e=2&u=/afp/20050209/wl_mideast_afp/mideast_050209111745

Sharon and Abbas face obstacles after Mideast ceasefire call

1 hour, 33 minutes ago

JERUSALEM (AFP) - Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites) and Palestinian Mahmud Abbas were both facing threats to their authority after agreeing at a landmark Middle East summit to end four years of bloodshed.

While world leaders hailed what they widely saw as a chance of a historic breakthrough between Israel and the Palestinians, commentators warned Wednesday that many obstacles lay ahead on the road to peace.

Both Sharon and Abbas declared a ceasefire at the summit in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh but the main Palestinian militant movement Hamas swiftly dampened some of the optimism by saying it was not bound by the deal.

As Sharon prepared to brief his senior ministers on the outcome of his historic meeting with Abbas and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak (news - web sites) on the shores of the Red Sea, his disgruntled Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom pledged to lead a campaign to ensure his flagship project to quit Gaza is put to a referedum.

Abbas was also facing a struggle to persuade militant factions such as Hamas to support his declared agreement with Sharon "to cease all acts of violence against Israelis and against Palestinians wherever they are."

In his summit speech, Sharon had reiterated his determination to implement his plan to pull troops and settlers out of the Gaza Strip (news - web sites).

The pullout, due to be completed by the end of the year, will be the first time ever that Israel has left occupied Palestinian territory and has been widely cited as another factor which could transform the peace process.

Shalom was conspicuous by his absence at the summit when Sharon reiterated that he was "absolutely determined to implement the disengagement plan".

The foreign minister instead took to the television studios where he said he would push for the project to be put to a referendum despite Sharon repeatedly ruling out such a move.

"I intend to lead a public, parliamentary and political initiative in favour of a referendum," he told private television. "I believe general agreement should be obtained from the people to avoid a serious struggle."

A source close to the prime minister charged that anyone who supported the idea of a referendum was "trying to sabotage the separation plan and bring about the downfall of the prime minister."

The aide also confirmed that Sharon was ready to meet Abbas in the West Bank city of Ramallah, which serves as the political capital of the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites), in a bid to further galvanise the peace process.

Abbas's team meanwhile was also preparing for possibly fraught talks with the factions to update them on the outcome of the summit.

While Hamas has been observing an unofficial period of calm, its initial reaction to Abbas's announcement showed that it is far from persuaded by his approach towards Israel.

Abbas's declaration "expresses only the position of the Palestinian Authority. It does not express the position of the Palestinian movements," said Hamas spokesman Mushir al-Masri.

Despite the possible pitfalls that await the two leaders, the international community was in no doubt about the importance of their talks -- the first time that the two sides' most senior leaders had met in more than four years.

The summit also marked the first ever meeting between Sharon and Mubarak.

The change in atmosphere has also persuaded the United States to immerse itself back in the peace process, with both Sharon and Abbas due to have separate meetings with President George W. Bush (news - web sites) at the White House this spring.

"This is the best chance for peace we are likely to see for years to come -- and we are acting to help Israeli and Palestinians seize this chance," said US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites), who met both men earlier this week.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan (news - web sites) also saw the "announcements to cease violence after four years of death and suffering provide an opportunity for the peace process to resume."

But the summit did nothing to tackle the root causes of decades of bloodshed in the Holy Land, namely the status of Jerusalem, Palestinian refugees, the borders of a future Palestinian state and West Bank settlements.

"The point is what happens once the excitement about Sharm el-Sheikh is over," said Palestinian analyst Khader Khader, predicting that "major differences" will quickly emerge.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 08:01 pm
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:19 am
Smile

He says what he means and means what he says. Watch out, the show has just started.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 04:50 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Smile

He says what he means and means what he says. Watch out, the show has just started.

Laughing "watch out" is right jw. Laughing

btw, we're starting to build arks out here. please send any spare flotation vests. :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 04:51 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Smile

Laughing "watch out" is right jw. Laughing

btw, we're starting to build arks out here. please send any spare flotation vests. :wink:
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:14 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

So....is it Karl Rove or Dubya's fault this time? Laughing OK, Dubya's no doubt. None of this woulda happened if he'd just signed the Kyoto Protocol, right?

Seriously, I heard it's the 5th wettest winter on record out there. I just saw a sinkhole on the news that would swallow a house!

You shoulda listened to John.

Or Bobby.

Razz

<Be careful driving in that stuff!>
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:13 pm
JustWonders wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

So....is it Karl Rove or Dubya's fault this time? Laughing OK, Dubya's no doubt. None of this woulda happened if he'd just signed the Kyoto Protocol, right?

hmmm... even i cant pin this one on g.w., as tempting as it is. :wink: let me work on it, i'll get back to you... hahahaha!

Seriously, I heard it's the 5th wettest winter on record out there. I just saw a sinkhole on the news that would swallow a house!

yeah ! the record is 38 inches, from 1883. yesterday afternoon we were at 32+. jeeezzz! we got totally dumped on around 2pm, the entire backyard flooded, patio submerged. 6 inches of standing water on the top terrace. (we'll be stocking it with trout this weekend...). the deluge finally weakened just as the water was beginning to spill over the sandbags into my studio. yipe! pass the valium, please...
but when i see all of these folks houses sliding down the slope, i can't complain much.

the really crazy stuff is the unbelievable amount of big time lightning and thunder. never seen it do that much out here. kaaaa-BOOOMMMM!!!!

You shoulda listened to John.

Or Bobby. Razz

or peter... peter gabriel

<Be careful driving in that stuff!>

thanks! i gave that up days ago and head off to trader joe's on the boogie board! Laughing

so you're headin' out to the tropics ? sounds good. st. thomas or such ?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 01:01 pm
Hi guys

hamster report 00000000000001 that I last posted 9/30/04

So yes its me, back to annoy you all again with my limeybritliberaltalk

Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 01:04 pm
There goes the goddamn neighborhood
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:16 pm
Smile

Anything happened since I was away? You know you can't fool me with your spoof thread titles. President Kerry has a lot to do without people pretending.......

uh oh....surely not?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:27 am
I don't see a really good spot to put this, but maybe it won't be too out of place:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12185-2005Mar6.html

Tax Cuts Lose Spot On GOP Agenda
War, Medicare, Social Security Expenses Loom
By Jim VandeHei
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 7, 2005; Page A01

Quote:

President Bush and Republican lawmakers are being forced to temper their anti-tax ambitions, as the party that consolidated power in Washington by promising to shrink government grapples with the high cost of its efforts to expand the Defense Department and the nation's two largest entitlement programs.

The president's only new tax initiative for the second term -- a broad restructuring of the tax code -- will be crafted in a way that results in a simpler system, not lower taxes, White House aides said.

At the same time, Bush's call for Congress to make permanent all the tax cuts enacted in his first term faces increasingly strong resistance among some Republicans concerned about rising deficits. The chairmen of the Senate Budget and Finance committees said in interviews last week that Republicans might wait until next year, or later, to consider the Bush plan, because the cuts do not expire until the end of the decade.

And, for the first time in years, Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) and other Senate Republicans are advocating increasing taxes -- as a way to pay for a restructuring of Social Security. Bush has not ruled out backing the effort.

"What is different this year is deficits loom larger over the debate in the Senate," said Graham, who opposes extending some of the Bush tax cuts he supported. "I believe senators will be more balanced in what we can afford."
0 Replies