AP reports that Kerry concedes!!!!

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
A telling quote from FreeDuck:

Quote:
A toast! To the end of the US as a super power! I didn't think I'd live to see the day, but alas, it is on the horizon. After we are bankrupted by our multiple simultaneous theatres of war and our economic productivity gets trounced by that of Brazil, the EU, and China, we will again be free to be Americans. Not members of the richest most powerful country on earth. Not uninformed people with little knowledge of the rest of the world who happen to be able to vote for the government that controls do much of it. Just Americans. Poor, wacky, independent Americans.

Afterall, that seems to be what you neocons want anyway.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:58 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
But even you gotta admit Dook that they don't count much.

Actually, they may count when it comes to global cooperation against terrorism, increased cooperation within the global economy, and a justified fear of entire economies offically replacing the dollar with the euro and other currencies.

If I were you, I'd be concerned. America cannot survive under it's own economic independence.

But you knew that, right?

I agree that economically we are tied together with the rest of the world. But I would bet that we are important enough to their economies that they will somehow get along with whoever is elected president. Since most of them don't seem to care whether we approve of their leaders I don't see the sense in fretting over whether or not they like ours.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:59 am
I don't particularly like Bush but I sure as hell don't trust Kerry.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:01 pm
I think you missed my posted quote from FreeDuck, CoastalRat. We aren't gonna be that important to their economies with the evergrowing economic presence of countries like China.

Agreeing that our economies are tied together and then not caring about our relations with other countries seems to belie your argument.

Or in other words, a most profound, neoconservative contradiction.

I can't believe the neocons are still using the French thing.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
In quotes: World reacts to US poll

Foreign leaders have been reacting to the US presidential election on 2 November 2004, even while the outcome remains unclear.

Alexander Downer, Australian Foreign Minister

From our point of view, the Bush administration is a known quantity.

We've had a very good relationship with them the last four years. I'm sure we'll be able to keep building on that over the next four.

But, look, frankly, if Senator Kerry somehow miraculously comes through here or if in any case he had been elected, we would have worked pretty well with them as well.

Vladimir Putin, Russian President

I am convinced that international terrorism tried to prevent Bush from being re-elected.

Bin-Laden's statement at the final stage of the election race in the USA is the best means to confirm this thesis.

If Bush wins, then I will be able to rejoice that the American people did not allow themselves to be scared and made a right decision.

Silvio Berlusconi, Italian Prime Minister

The continuation of Bush in American politics makes things easier for us.

As for international policy, Bush will continue with the policy that assigns the United States the role of defender and promoter of freedom and democracy.

Iyad Allawi, interim Prime Minister of Iraq

Whoever wins will be our friend. The United States liberated us from a dictator from a very long period of war and agony. We will always be grateful to America for what it has done and continues to do.

Michel Barnier, French Foreign Minister

I can raise my hat to American democracy. There has been an incredible turnout and a debate in which the entire world took interest.

I can already express wishes for the US elected president, for the American people, which is a friend and ally.

We have a lot of things to do, both regarding the current crises - Iraq, the Middle East, Iran, the challenges raised by the African continent - and to rebuild, to reform the transatlantic relations.

Tony Blair, UK Prime Minister

I am sure that the whole House will join me in sending congratulations to President... Karzai of Afghanistan.

(Laughter in the House of Commons)

Like everyone else, I await the outcome of the other presidential election with interest.

Junichiro Koizumi, Japanese Prime Minister

It seems that a close race is continuing as expected. Regardless of which candidate wins, I think there will basically be no change in the recognition of friendship between Japan and the United States.

Moody Awori, Kenyan Vice-President

I am a little bit apprehensive because the first term of Bush, he had come in as a lame duck.

Now it appears as if he is winning very convincingly. To me, I think we are going to see more dictatorship on an international scale. We are going to see more extremism come out of there.

We are going to see even more isolationism where America will not bother about the United Nations. To me that is a very sad affair.

Miguel Angel Moratinos, Spanish Foreign Minister

Whoever the winner is - and if it is the case, as the polls seem to indicate, that it is President Bush - well, this government will strengthen its relationship with an ally and friend, the United States, with an American administration.

Its members can count on Spain continuing to be a firm partner in the fight against terrorism.

Aleksander Kwasniewski, Polish President

From the point of view of Poland's interests, further co-operation with George W Bush is good news. I hope that this will also mean increased activity in bilateral affairs, as they lacked sufficient engagement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3978191.stm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:11 pm
just FYI Dookie, I am not a republican or a conservative democrat. I just don't trust Kerry. Plain and simple. The lesser of the two evils was Bush.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:13 pm
And I don't think the US is "all mighty". I just DO NOT TRUST JOHN KERRY.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:13 pm
Quote:
first of all, I am not even a republican, or a conservative democrat. I just don't trust Kerry. Plain and simple. The lesser of the two evils was Bush.

Sorry you feel that way...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:14 pm
Quote:
And I don't think the US is "all mighty".

My guess is the US will be alot LESS "all mighty" in the years to come...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:15 pm
Me to. The US hasn't had a decent candidate for a long long time.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Michel Barnier, French Foreign Minister

"I can raise my hat to American democracy. There has been an incredible turnout and a debate in which the entire world took interest.

I can already express wishes for the US elected president, for the American people, which is a friend and ally.

We have a lot of things to do, both regarding the current crises - Iraq, the Middle East, Iran, the challenges raised by the African continent - and to rebuild, to reform the transatlantic relations."

Sorry, but that did give me a chuckle, considering the source.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

I may have missed that Dook. And trust me, I understand what you are getting at. But your view would lead one to conclude that just because we begin to care about what they think, they will give us special economic consideration.

China will do whatever they do economically whether we care what they think about us or not. Do you really think they will alter their economic policies toward us if we are nice and care about what they think? Should we allow them to dictate to us what our policies are because of their increasing economic strength?

Finally, you may have missed that I did not say we should not care about our relationships with foreign governments, but rather that we should not let what they think dictate what we do.

But agreed, cooperation is almost always better than the alternative.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
Last I knew, 48% voted for Kerry, not 25%.

http://news.yahoo.com/electionresults

Only about half of the citizens voted. So, not to quibble, 24% of your fellow citizens.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:22 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
About 58,650,967 people disagree with you there dookiestix.

Perhaps. And yet many millions more around the world would agree with me. Actually, it could be in the billions.

But they didn't have a vote did they? Perhaps if Kerry had become President.....
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:45 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
About 58,650,967 people disagree with you there dookiestix.

Perhaps. And yet many millions more around the world would agree with me. Actually, it could be in the billions.

But they didn't have a vote did they? Perhaps if Kerry had become President.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm
Dookie wrote:
A telling quote from FreeDuck:

Quote:
A toast! To the end of the US as a super power! I didn't think I'd live to see the day, but alas, it is on the horizon. After we are bankrupted by our multiple simultaneous theatres of war and our economic productivity gets trounced by that of Brazil, the EU, and China, we will again be free to be Americans. Not members of the richest most powerful country on earth. Not uninformed people with little knowledge of the rest of the world who happen to be able to vote for the government that controls do much of it. Just Americans. Poor, wacky, independent Americans.

Afterall, that seems to be what you neocons want anyway.

I've been convinced for a long time it's what you libbys want. Sorry. Maybe you can try again in 4 years.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:06 pm
Quote:
Since most of them don't seem to care whether we approve of their leaders I don't see the sense in fretting over whether or not they like ours.

The difference is that WE are the most powerful country on the planet, and WE are the leaders of the free world. Plus, it is the people in THEIR countries who exhibit a profound hatred of Bush, not so much their leaders, and their leaders end up suffering at the polls, as well as the referendums that can take place regarding trade negotiations and the profound change in currencies. They can effectively remove from power those leaders who are much more cooperative towards the U.S., and replace them with their OWN isolationist presidents and prime ministers, who would then see it fit to re-think their economic and political relationships with the U.S., and look to other evergrowing robust economies and societies like China in which to actively trade with.

Of course they don't care whether or not we approve of their leaders, for they do not represent what we do to the world.

And certainly by no means did I ever suggest that they had a "vote," which Larry434, as usual, falsely implies. This never had anything to do with that.

It is obvious that they will have to deal with us REGARDLESS of who is elected. But unless Bush changes his policies and actually attempts to reduce the vitriolic hatred that comes from many people around the world, I can only invision a greater isolation of America, both economically and politically, and (IMO) that will only HURT our economic chances at continued prosperity. That hatred will ALSO help increase terrorism around the world, not decrease it, as Bush insists on using conventional military means to fight a rather unconventional ideological war.

Bush said he was a uniter, not a divider, and yet proved quite the opposite.

People feel they are safe with Bush in office, despite the fact that the worst terrorist attack on our nation happened on HIS watch, and even though Bush and Cheney have said that despite the fact that we are safer, we WILL be attacked again.

I find it sad that neoconservatives sincerely do not care about these issues.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:09 pm
Quote:
I've been convinced for a long time it's what you libbys want. Sorry. Maybe you can try again in 4 years.

Right, like we are the one's denigrating the world, poo pooing the French, and insisting on going it alone in world policy and domination.

This is why half the country was stupid enough to vote for Bush, because you're "convinced."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:15 pm
Never underestimate stupid people in large groups dookie.....we elected the President. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:15 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
This is why half the country was stupid enough to vote for Bush

The proud mother of a soldier stood beaming as her son's outfit paraded smartly by, uniforms crisp, accessories and appurtenances gleaming, ranks lined side by side and front to back in military perfection. "Look at 'em", the matron says to a companion, "Hundreds and hundreds of 'em ... and every one of 'em out of step but me dear Johnny"
0 Replies